7.4

$1,557.00

2. replace engine (13 reports)
  3. new cam phasers (5 reports)
  4. tsb - replacement part including timing chain & cover (2 reports)
  5. replaced coil assembly (1 reports)
  6. scarred cylinder heads (1 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 engine problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 102011

F-150 5.4L

i've been having this engine knocking 6 months already i took it to mechanic shop they rebuilt the engine that didn't help still there

- , Los Anjeles, CA, USA

Feb 012011

F-150 LX

Our truck ran like a champ until the knocking noise started and we had the plugs changed a few times to try to help it out. When our mechanic finally got into the engine there were pieces of spark plugs falling out. Each mechanic told us the same thing - it was the type of spark plugs the truck required and Ford knows that they are a problem. Apparently from what we have read in many Ford forums Ford changed the type of plugs beginning in 2006 but doesn't care about the older models. I believe one of the mechanics told us that Ford did issue a recall on older than 2004 ford models but won't recall on the 2004 & 2005. We just read that someone on this forum contacted a lawyer for what we think is the same problem so we would like to know what the lawyer said, if possible. Thank you.

- , Florence, AZ, USA

Jun 012010

F-150 Larriat 5.4L

I love this truck, but it's got the dreaded "Cam Phaser" knocking or tapping. The dealer wants $2,000 to fix the one head and claims that I will need 24 lifters/followers and has never investigated the problem other then listening to the engine. Also, engine has an exhaust leak on the same side of the engine he wants $700 to replace the exhaust manifold gasket. When I asked him why so much the idiot service guy says "Well, those are exhaust manifold bolts and can snap off and need to be drilled out if they break off" I asked him if he ever heard of penetrating oil. He just shrugged his shoulders. I'm going to take it to a mechanic I trust who will do it for $200. I feel that Ford has a bad design and to add insult to injury the dealer is trying to hose me for repairs.

- , Tacoma, WA, USA

Aug 302004

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Ok, several weeks after purchasing my first new vehicle ever, It starts sounding like a diesel---it's gas. Take it back to the dealer and they replace the cam sensor/phasor/actuator or whatever they wanna call it. Guess what! Noise comes back at 30k but not as bad but still very annoying. Dealer says they all do that, and no long term consequences. Oh yeah? I talk to another Ford dealership. Mechanic says yes, I know what you're talking about. He went on to say that early on, the fix was to replace the defective part with the same part that was destined for failure. And guess what--it did. He also said that now they have a part that won't fail. The cost of the part isn't bad. It's the labor rate of $95 per hr.and 4 hrs to fix it. Should be done for free!

- , Fredonia, NY, USA

Feb 162011

F-150 5.4L

WHATS UP FORD OWNERS?I JUST BOUGHT AMERICAS NUMBER 1 TRUCK AND IT MADE ALL MY DREAMS COME TRUE UNTIL ONE DAY I STOPPED AT A LIGHT BESIDE A CHEVY AND I HEARD A TAPPING NOISE----------------------I TOLD THE GUY YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A FORD HE STARTED LAUGHING AND SAID DON'T MEAN TO HURT YOUR FEELINGS BROTHER BUT THAT NOISE IS COMING FROM YOUR TRUCK AND THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT A CHEVY OR SHALL I SAY CHEVROLET .DAMN MY FEELINGS WERE HURT.I'M SITTING AT THE LIGHT WITH AMERICAS NUMBER 1 TRUCK AND FORD WONT STEP UP AND FIX THIS PROBLEM.I STILL BELIEVE IN THE FORD BRAND BUT IF THEY DON'T STEP UP AND FIX THIS PROBLEM THEIR NAME WILL REALLY BE HURT.I HAVE RAN INTO ABOUT TEN OTHER PEOPLE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AND THEY SAY FORD SAYS ITS THERE PROBLEM NOW COME ON FORD STAND BY YOUR NAME ITS OBVIOUSLY A BIG PROBLEM IS IT REALLY BUILT FORD TOUGH OR IS IT BUILT TO LAST A LITTLE WHILE?

- , Louisa, VA, USA

Oct 022008

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Bought a 2004 F150 brand new w/ 5.4 liter eng. 52k later the tapping started, and got worse and worse. One dealer told me it was normal,another said it was the lashers(lifters),another said it was the "phasers'(fancy word for cam shaft sproket).And if they repaired it they said the tapping could come back in 100 miles ,10k miles or never. And pay 5 gran,,I didn't like the odds. I have owned fords for 30 years and for the most part they have been good vehicles.I knew it was just a matter of time before I would get stuck with the one that got past quality control.

I'm really pissed off that Ford hasn't step up to the plate on an issue that has been going on since they came out with this modular engine.No doubt that there are alot of them out there with well over 200k and runnig great ..but like I said I don't like beeing one of the few that got stuck. I have 80k on it now and will keep driving it till it blows,then I plan to repace it with a 5.7 liter Toyota drivetrain!!I'm sure I'l have better luck.

- , Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Sep 062010

F-150 Triton 5.4L V8

I am really disappointed in Ford. Bought a used vehicel in June 2010 with 138000 miles and I am looking at putting a rebuilt engine in or fixing the valve and follower plus 24.5 hours of labor at 80.00 per hour. I really think Ford needs to redesign this engine. What I have read is that there is a lot of problems with this engine. I am probably going to fix it so at least I can get rid of it and will not buy another Ford truck. I guess the saying goes Fix Or Repair Daily,. That fits my situation. I would like to know if there is a recall on this engine. Does anyone know?

- , Rock Springs, WY, USA

Sep 162010

F-150 XLT

I've had the same ticking/knocking problem for 3 years. I've taken this vehicle into dealerships since it first stated only to be told its normal or that they can't get the problem to replicate. Last week there was an accompany grinding noise which I'm told is caused by a lack of oil in the engine and that the ticking/thumping was the first indication that oil was not making it into the engine appropriately. To all that, I'm told that the cause was the oil and filter being used. During the warranty period I had all my oil changes done at a Ford dealership and that's when the sounds began. Ford wants 7500 to put in a new engine or...........get this.............they'd be happy to sell me a new truck. How convenient. Guess what else, this is the same dealership that told me the noise was normal!

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 252010

F-150 5.4L

I'm sorry i bolt a FORD TRUCK. JUST GOT IT JAN 4 2010 AND THERE IS JUST SOOOO MANY PROBLEMS WITH IT... WHY DID I BUY IT........

- , West Grove, PA, USA

Jan 012008

F-150 FX4 5.4L

i have a red 2004 4x4-4 door-ford thats paid for....and now my pretty fx4 sits in the yard as a reminder to never purchase a ford again- EVER !. was told by the top mechanic and 3 service personel at SAM GALLOWAY FORD, where i bought the truck that my 5.4 v v t was gone. ok- when did they put varriable timing on this motor ? anyone ? they did'nt according to thier shop guys. for $150 a crack they'll keep looking but really today they think its the cam phazers and roughly $2g's MIGHT get me back on the road.

along with having all 4 windows worked on and again one being held up by a wedge as we speak makes me absolutely sure why ford sells so many....because they have to...there is NO quality or toughness. my tranny went out at 40K...what does this tell you.NO, i do not run it hard what-so-ever, its pulled a lawn trailer twice, i live in town, not on a farm and even if i did are they really disposable at 85,000 non smoking miles-looks like it.

how can i get this info to a ceo or to bill ford himself..yes i am going TOYOTA !!! if anyone wants a great deal on a beautiful red southern truck to drive up fords ass let me know!

- , LEHIGH ACRES, FLA., USA

Dec 312005

F-150 5.4L

I had it with this truck, always in the shop. They had to replace coil assy on plug, installed adjuster assy, sensor-camshaft position, left and right lifters per TSB recheck, balance test coils on cyl 3 and 4 and replaced ign coils on 3 and 4.

- , Virginia Beach, Va, USA

Aug 192005

F-150 5.4L

Told service writer there was a noise in engine. Had to have parts ordered.

The parts replaced were the pulley assy and TSB clutch fan assy, idler pulley,

pulley-water pump

- , Virginia Beach, Va, USA

Dec 292008

F-150 S Crew Lariat 5.4L V8

Not sure if I should be pissed or happy that I am getting new cylinder heads. Apparently, something has been in my motor that shouldn't have been (because the tapping has been occurring since day 1) and caused scarring on the cylinder heads. I did not notice any change in performance- just concerned about the noise and wanted it checked out. Now my engine is in pieces waiting on cylinder heads at the stealership.

At 56k miles, I think I have had way too many problems with a "built Ford tough" truck. I don't tow anything. Most miles are my 20 mile highway trip to and from work each day. I pay extra for synthetic oil, K&N air filter and take extra care to keep engine clean and maintained. If I didn't have the ESP to pay for these major repairs, Ford and I would be going to court. Problem is- I love my Ford truck.

- , Irving, TX, USA

Aug 012005

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Ya, bought a 2004 Ford F-150 4x4 with 10,000 and right around 15,000 the engine started making a ticking or knocking sound right after I started it. It was very faint, but noticeable. So I take it to the dealership where it was bought (Tousley Ford - White Bear Lake, MN) to have it checked out, and was told "Lady there is nothing wrong with this truck". After having 4x4 problems a week and a half ago, I drive my F-150 to the closest Ford dealer to where I live, which was 37 miles. When I pulled into the dealership the mileage read 75,031 miles and guess what, yep they don't have to warranty crap at this point which infuriates me. So the hub actuators have to be replaced which was just under $700.00. So a week later and 300 odometer miles later after leaving the dealership the engine knocking or ticking is soo bad I wonder if the damn thing is about to blow up. I am so tired of dinking around with these over priced dealership services, so I have an local independent mechanic look at it, and am still waiting for the dreaded call from him in a few days. Has anybody had anything similar like this happen with the knocking or ticking in the engine? What is it, and how much did it cost to repair?

- , Mellen, WI, USA

Jun 252008

F-150 Lariat 5,4L

Timing chain tensioner failed at 73K damaging guide, front cover and other parts.

Obviously this is not a Ford tough truck.

- , Carrollton, TX, USA

Dec 172007

F-150 Lariat V8

click to see larger images

engine knocking engine knocking

Purchase 2004 F-150 Larriat Supercab. Noticed a slight "knocking" upon purchase, my inquiry was dismissed. Returned later to the service department to ask a technician to look into "knocking", again was dismissed. Prior to my warranty expiring I again returned to the dealership (Morries Ford - Minnetonka, Minnesota) and again was dismissed. The knocking grew worse and stopped in at a non-ford affiliated mechanic and within minutes was told of a TSB that had been out on the problem since prior to my purchase. In looking future - improper factory installed timing chain into the problem the mechanic discovered a timing chain to loose that he could stick his hand between it and the engine block, indicating that the chain was improperly installed at the factory as the timing chain will not stretch to cause this much slack, it will break first. In fact, the timing chain was so loose it had almost worn multiple holes in the timing cover. I took picture and kept the parts and contacted the dealership and Ford Corporate and they have continue to dismiss my claims. I have pictures, a TSB and mechanics that will swear to the items. I have continued to contact both the dealership and corporate, however it appears that my requests continue to fall on deaf ears.

- , Maple Grove, MN, USA