7.5

$1,483.00

2. replace engine (11 reports)
  3. new cam phasers (4 reports)
  4. tsb - replacement part including timing chain & cover (2 reports)
  5. replaced coil assembly (1 reports)
  6. scarred cylinder heads (1 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 engine problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 142014

F-150 XLT 4.6L Triton

My Ford F150 has been making a ticking noise from the engine. I have taken the truck to the dealership for assessment. They told me it was normal. Yesterday, I was driving downtown Vancouver 50 km per hour and the truck suddenly made a loud banging noise. The truck did not stall out. I pulled over, popped the hood to see if I could identify the source of the noise. Upon acceleration, the banging got louder and faster as well. I parked the truck and had it towed to Coastal Ford dealer on Terminal street in Vancouver BC.

Waiting for diagnostic report. From what I have been reading, their appears to be a manufacturers defect causing spark plugs to blow out go the cylinder head. My 2004 is in show room condition. I have been a Ford owner for 20 plus years. This issue could lead me away from Ford. It just depends what and how the problem is handled.

I will repost once I get more info.

- , Vancouver, BC, canada

Jun 152011

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I am a GMC/Chevy guy, but when I was looking for a used truck I found a 2004 Ford F 150 4X4 Crew Cab - with a rebuilt engine. I thought, OK, it's rebuilt, it should be a good one so I bought it. Within 6 months I was having engine problems. First they said I needed cam phasers replaced which was an $1800 repair cost, and I had it done. Then when I left the garage, the check engine light came on and the engine started knocking and rocking and died out when I slowed down. I took it back, and then they said it was a timing issue! I saved some money and took it back to have the timing components and sensors changed, add another $2,000 to the repair costs.

Finally picked it up and on the way home, the check engine comes on and it starts doing exactly what it did before - no change in the engine, and in total I have invested about $4,000 in repairing this engine to no avail. It just seems like before I can even get it home it runs as badly, if not worse than before. I will never buy another Ford again! As it is I will have to get another engine for this one, which in the end will have cost me $24,000.00 for a used Ford truck... shame on Ford for not standing behind their product and issuing a recall on the 2004 Ford due to the problems it was manufactured with.

- , Toppenish, WA, USA

Aug 142013

F-150 XL 5.4L

The engine runs great, but there is an annoying "ticking" sound which diminishes as the engine gets up to temperature, much as one would expect to hear from a sticking valve lifter. I had the problem diagnosed by a local garage that found that one of the manifold bolts on the left side of the engine was rusted off. How is this possible...the truck had less than 70,000 miles on it and has been kept in a garage? The expense of replacing that bolt is ridiculous, so I live with the noise. Ford was not helpful when I wrote to them about the problem.

- , Ontonagon, MI, USA

Feb 012011

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Knocking started around 80,000 miles, on my 2004 ford f150 FX4. I was told it was the cam phaser and timing chain keepers that need replaced, nothing $1,000 to $1,500 wouldnt fix. After reading numerous complaints about the same problem, I was hoping Ford would stand behind the problem. Yeah right, just like they stood behind the spark plug deal, where they designed a 2 piece plug that breaks off in the heads and cost me $1,100 to fix. I dont know about you but I just make it, with a moderate house and food other bills etc. but I paid Ford dam good hard earned money for there product, I took very good care of my truck and im so disappointed in the we will do nothing for you attitude. Why wont they fix there problems, make it right for the buyer. Im not asking them to fix a problem that I caused, I cant afford another vehicle. Please Ford do whats right and make me and all the others want to be return customers of your vehicles. I will be posting complaints on the spark plug issue as well as a steering shaft issue that they are aware about as well, when does it stop and when will we get any help!! Sincerely Keith Cook Grantsville Maryland

- , Grantsville, MD, USA

Jan 052012

F-150 FX4 5.4ltr

Follow up to VCT fix.... Truck was repaired two weeks prior for Cam Phaser issue, had to return it, engine was cutting out and limited power. The truck was placed on handheld and was told it's just me the truck is fine. Drove truck to different Ford dealer ran Diagnostic on handheld and was told previous repairs was less than satisfactory. Took back to dealer that originally performed the work had to meet with the VP of dealership to get the issue addressed. Dealership had the truck for 4 more weeks and replaced the VCT that was replaced two weeks prior...defective.

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Sep 282004

F-150 XLT 5.4L

We have always purchased Fords and have always been satisfied with the vehicles. We would upgrade after we had the vehicle for 5 years. I decided when we purchased our truck I would keep it because it drove well, had 4 wheel drive, good gas mileage and I didn't want another car payment.

We picked up our new truck right off the lot with 18 miles on it. We heard the engine ticking which sounded like a lifter knocking. We asked our dealer and was told the noise was normal. We had it about a year and the knocking got louder. We took it back to the dealership and was told the cam phasers were going out in it. They replaced them for us at 30,000 miles. The noise went away and we were happy even though we questioned why we weren't told about the problem in the beginning. After 60,000 miles the knocking came back and we were told we would have to replace the cam phasers again. The cost was $1800.00. Who keeps this amount of money on hand to fix a vehicle.

The dealerships hands were tied. They told us we would have to pay for it because it was not covered under the warranty. We decided we would not buy another Ford. We are very disappointed that the manufacturer will not take care of the problem. We will probably have it fixed and I will sell it to an individual and buy something else. One thing I do want to say, it is not the dealerships fault. They tried to help us. Unfortunately their hands are tied and we are stuck with all of the problems.

What happened to the Ford strong? That's what happens when you get really big. You forget who gets you there. It won't be the number one selling truck for long once others find out.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 302004

F-150 5.4L Triton

I WAS TOLD BY THE FORD MECHANICS SALESMAN ETC. THAT THIS WAS COMMON WITH THESE ENGINES. TALKING WITH OTHER OWNERS WHETHER IN GAS STATIONS ETC. WE ALL GET THE SAME STORY. ONE INDIVIDUAL WAS TOLD IT'S THE DESIGN OF THE OIL PUMP. I'M LEARNING A LOT ABOUT THIS ENGINE NOW AND WILL POST MY MOST RECENT COSTLY HEADACHES AS INDIVIDUAL ISSUES. I DO BELIEVE THAT IT ALL STARTS WITH THE KNOCKING FROM THE FACTORY. STEP UP FORD AND TAKE CARE OF THESE ISSUES.

- , Greenfield, WI, USA

Feb 212013

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I have bought this truck used from a guy that had this knocking issue already and he had the engine replace. Cost him 10,000; now with a new engine in the truck having 45000 miles on it the knocking sound is back! I am a Ford man, my last truck was a 7.3 Powerstroke and loved it. I drove that truck with the original motor and tranny for 450,000 miles on it, loved it all, down sized to the F-150 for thinking it would be cheaper at the pump and less maint.

I'm with all of you on that law suit, was told that $2000 would; maybe fix the problem. My mechanic said try to get ford to pay for it, but good luck on that.

- , San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Mar 132013

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Let me start off by saying I have always been a ford guy.I have owned many ford vehicles and always stood by them. But, with this one ford has made a mistake it doesn't look like they are going to recover from, and i am sad to say i think i am done with ford if this is the way they are going to treat loyal customers. I have a 2004 f150 lariat. the truck was perfect for a while but it seemed like when one thing messed up it turned into a ticking time bomb. one thing starting tearing up after another. first the window motor went bad, Then the over drive went out of the transmission, I have a loud ticking noise that seems to be the cam phasers, And now it is time for a tune up and mechanics are afraid to touch it because these engines have a bad reputation to having the spark plugs break off in the heads causing a simple tune up to cost up to or over 1,000 dollars. Ford needs to do something about this or they will lose a lot of costumers in the future.

- , Morristown, TN, USA

Dec 152012

F-150 5.4L

I bought this truck used but have owned new and used Fords all my life. I had it for about a year when I noticed a tap come in the engine (which has gotten worse). I have changed oil and filter a few times and finally took it to the dealer after exhausting all possibilities of fixing it myself.

I was told I have a cam phaser gone bad and that it was a very common problem. (They have 4 more on the lot right now with the same problem). It will cost about $1500 to fix.

After a few days checking into this on the internet, I have found it is a very common problem with these trucks. I contacted Ford and they pretty much told me it was my truck- fix it yourself!!!! What the hell is that? if I build something and there is something wrong with it, I fix it !!! Ford should do the same!! If this was my fault, I would not have a problem, but, with all the problems being reported on these engines, you'd think Ford would stand up and do the right thing !!! I think after 40 years of owning Fords I am going to start looking at a new Dodge!!!!

- , Lamar, SC, USA

Feb 282013

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Had the engine replaced and 77,000 miles later the same thing happened again. Good luck to all of you with this problem!!! I called Ford and it's almost like they were laughing on the other side. My next truck won't be a Ford. I've been a Ford customer my whole life and now this happens to me twice.

- , San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

May 252008

F-150 5.3L V8

The ticking sound started at about 24000 miles and has been getting progressively worse since then. It now has 46000 miles and sounds like a loud diesel. Took it to a local mechanic and he says that the timing chain is ready to fail and "I better not travel out of town with it in this condition". Said it would be around $2500 to fix.

I wanted a second opinion and took it to our local ford dealer. Having read enough complaints about this problem I was ready for the worst. Sure enough, ford said the engine needs to be replaced for $7300. What? 46,000 miles and needs a new engine? I told him "I thought it was supposed to be ford tough?" He had no reply.

I bought this vehicle new and serviced it regularly. Something is very wrong here! Ford needs to be accountable and recall this engine. Ford knows there is a problem with this engine but refuses to do the right thing. Time for class action law suit!

- , Casper, WY, USA

Sep 042011

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

It started with the tic and it seems like its getting loader, when I first start the the truck from sitting for awhile it revs high and you can notice the tic bad. Wish I new what it could be instead of taking it somewhere to tell you a bunch of different things and getting them all fixed and paid for and not to solve the problem.

- , Fort Mcmurray, AB, canada

Dec 082011

F-150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L V8

Yeah..I'm pissed off with Ford..Chevy I loved your superbowl slap and the face you gave Ford. I have a 2004 Ford that has being seviced by the dealer on a regular basis and one day my engine starts knocking...guess what the dealer says you have to replace the engine it's going bad...WTF...the truck is paiid for and looks brand new.Oh Ford said this is normal problem with this engine and repairing it is not posible since the engine is a bad design...so I said ill trade it for a new Ford...Guess what..the dealer offered me a whole $5500 for my truck and said that was a good deal but if the engine was good they would give 12500 to 13000...F*&K you Ford...Im going to blow this crap and get a Toyota...yeah I said it a Toyota..so much for Made and America, I'm going to drive Toyota and leave FORDs ..Found on th Road Dead...and if Toyota gives me $1000.00 Im still going to trade this sorry ass truck that FORD want fix are recall for it's so called American customers....

- , Columbus, GA, USA

Feb 082012

F-150 5.4L

ITS A LEMON FROM FORD , THAT 5.4. IS A BAD MOTOR AND FORD KNOWS IT. FORD TOUGHT, MY- - - , THAY SHOULD FIX IT BUT WILL'NT. NO MORE FORDS FOR ME.

- , Essex, IL, USA

Sep 012011

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

An engine with under 80,000 miles should not require new cam phasers. This is not an isolated issue. Ford motor company needs to admit fault and do a recall of all engines with this issue and stand behind their product. Also, spark plugs changed today, all were broken off and required extra work to remove, costing 500 dollars.

I am shocked a company can get away with such shoddy engineering.

- , Mandan, ND, USA

Jun 062011

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I have lost all faith in Ford Motor Company. My 2004 F150 FX4 is quite possibly the biggest pile of junk i have ever owned. Just purchased about 6 months ago, already had to pay 1200 bucks to the Ford dealer to get a tune up... thats right a tune up.. thanks to a faulty spark plug design by Ford. Now i have found out that the ticking noise coming from my engine is faulty CAM PHASERS, and that if I do not get them repaired soon, my engine will sh*# the bed. Ford has quoted me 3500 dollars to fix this issue. I pay about 420 bucks a month to drive this piece of crap, I cant afford to keep fixing one thing after the other on it. Ford refuses to help with anything. BUILT FORD TOUGH... I think not. This money pit has got to go. Buyer Beware!!! Go get yourself a Toyota.

- , Niceville, FL, USA

May 102011

F-150 5.4L

i've been having this engine knocking 6 months already i took it to mechanic shop they rebuilt the engine that didn't help still there

- , Los Anjeles, CA, USA

Feb 012011

F-150 LX

Our truck ran like a champ until the knocking noise started and we had the plugs changed a few times to try to help it out. When our mechanic finally got into the engine there were pieces of spark plugs falling out. Each mechanic told us the same thing - it was the type of spark plugs the truck required and Ford knows that they are a problem. Apparently from what we have read in many Ford forums Ford changed the type of plugs beginning in 2006 but doesn't care about the older models. I believe one of the mechanics told us that Ford did issue a recall on older than 2004 ford models but won't recall on the 2004 & 2005. We just read that someone on this forum contacted a lawyer for what we think is the same problem so we would like to know what the lawyer said, if possible. Thank you.

- , Florence, AZ, USA

Jun 012010

F-150 Larriat 5.4L

I love this truck, but it's got the dreaded "Cam Phaser" knocking or tapping. The dealer wants $2,000 to fix the one head and claims that I will need 24 lifters/followers and has never investigated the problem other then listening to the engine. Also, engine has an exhaust leak on the same side of the engine he wants $700 to replace the exhaust manifold gasket. When I asked him why so much the idiot service guy says "Well, those are exhaust manifold bolts and can snap off and need to be drilled out if they break off" I asked him if he ever heard of penetrating oil. He just shrugged his shoulders. I'm going to take it to a mechanic I trust who will do it for $200. I feel that Ford has a bad design and to add insult to injury the dealer is trying to hose me for repairs.

- , Tacoma, WA, USA