8.5

$1,032.00

2. take it to the dealer to fix (15 reports)
  3. remove with specialty tool (9 reports)
  4. give Ford owners access to the special wrench (2 reports)
  5. replace sparkplugs (2 reports)
  6. don't change plugs while engine is still hot (1 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 engine problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Sep 012009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L 3v

Brought the truck to the dealership for $100 diagnosis for 3 times for serious shift delay and loud popping sound. Finally was told by a different dealership that the problem was 3 sparkplugs that were not running at fill power. Vehicle is under premium extended warranty at only 49,000 miles, but plugs are not covered. Therefore $300 worth of diagnostics is no covered.

Went back to check on status of vehicle today, a week later, only to find that all 8 plugs broke off ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I have a free rental during the repair, but the cost is still approaching $850.00 Thats with the small discounts I am getting because my friend works in the parts department!

On top of all that, I called the ford customer service line only to be told that they would work with the dealer to reduce my price. THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM AND A LOAD OF CRAP THAT I SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS!

On a side note, the spark plugs have been redesigned by ford since my truck was built

(part number now has a 14 in it)

- , Stuart, FL, USA

Jul 032009

F-150 XLT 5.4L

THIS IS JUST PURE BS!!!! FORD KNOWS THAT THIS PROBLEM EXIST BUT REFUSE TO PAY WHEN IT HAPPENS. IT IS LIKE IF I TOOK VEHICLE IN TO CHANGE OIL AND THEY BROKE WINDSHIELD, THEY WOULD HAVE TO FIX WINDSHIELD. SO WHY WOULD THEY NOT PAY TO FIX BROKEN PLUGS. I LIKE MY TRUCK BUT THIS IS BULLSHIT

- , Hope Mills, NC, USA

Jun 112009

F-150 5.4L V8

I took my ford f-150 to the shop to have the spark plugs changed because ford made it that you can't change the plugs yourself. So I called the shop to get a quote. They gave me a quote of $288.00, as long as the plugs don't break. They told me that the plugs are known to brake off in the head, but ford made a tool to get them out if they would brake. So I took the truck in on June 11, 2009. They called that day to tell me that 6 of the 8 plugs broke, that they would need the truck until Monday to get them out. So on Tuesday they call to tell me that they can't get one plug out that they have to pull the head off. Now my bill is $2,500. Today is June 17,2009 and I still don't have my truck. I called Ford to complain, but got no satisfaction. It's all about screwing the little man. Thanks Ford.

- , Brogue, PA, USA

Apr 302009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L Triton V8

Yes, it's me again. I was doing some routine maintenance to save myself some problems down the road. I changed my plugs on one side with no problem. Then I went to the "easy" side where you could actually see the plugs. I proceeded to break off two plugs using normal pressure. I am a proficient do-it-yourself kind of guy who has done similar work many times with equipment on the farm. As I started researching this problem, I became enraged that this problem even existed. Now, I had to have my truck towed for $100 to the dealership and paid $669.91 to have the two broken plugs removed. I had considered buying the special tool ($250) for this special motor for this special problem; however, others reported the tool to be cheap and less than able to perform it's job. As I said in my post on the drivetrain section, that Toyota is looking mighty nice.

- , Pleasant View, TN, USA

Mar 012009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Was just doing my first tune up on my truck, but has turned into a huge pain in the butt. I was able to get the first two plugs replaced when loe and behold the third one was broke off. Decided screw it I wasn't going to break off any more and quit. I dont think that i caused the plug to break, since mileage was starting to suffer some already. Hopefully someone will know if the ford folks will take care of this piece of junk, or should i just set it on fire in the service bays?

- , Des Moines, IA, USA

Feb 192009

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

I took my car for a tune up and eight days later I still do not have it.

My plugs needed to be changed and so far they have broken off four of them.

Ford has come out with a tool specially designed to get the broken plug out.

If the problem is so prevalent that Ford has to design and supply a tool to fix it, you would think they would recall them and change out the plugs for free.

Would you buy a car that cost over a thousand dollars to change the spark plugs?

- , Granville, VT, USA

Feb 052009

F-150 FX4 5.4lV8

How can Ford sell a truck where costs over $500.00 to change spark plugs they should be sued for stupid engineering

- , Pewamo, MI, USA

Nov 152008

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

FORD you idiots how long will you keep making this junk. I think this is why they need the bailout. I have been a longtime Ford fan for a long time until the year 2000 came along - I believe that every ford made after this time is like a cheap toy, it is going to break. Under the guidance of a Ford mechanic, he warned me to change the spark plugs before 100,000 miles because the plugs were going to break. Well like ford I too am an idiot for listening to an idiot and changed them. I broke 4 plugs in the heads. I bought a repair kit off the internet and found that it was like ford vehicles, CHEAP and Junk, needless to say it didn't work. Well I was forced to haul it to BOYD COUNTY FORD and the repair man stated that it is a pretty common fix and that it would cost around 500 dollars. Two days and $1200.00 went by, and it was fixed. I asked them if it is going to happen again, if this pile of metal was going to make it another 100,000 miles and his answer was "I hope not". Go buy another brand, I think I'm moving to a Chevy but beware they are getting a bailout too!

- , Catlettsburg, KY, USA

Apr 082008

F-150 F150 Lariet 5.4L

WHAT IS FORD THINKING WHEN THEY DESIGN THE WAY SPARK PLUG WERE LOCATED IN THE 5.,4 V-8 IT IS OBVIOUS THE KNOW ABOUT THIS PROBLEM

I UNDERSTAND THEY HAVE DESIGN A EZ OUT TOOL TO REMOVE THE BROKEN PLUGS.

- , Lees Summit, MO, USA