7.8

1. replace engine (4 reports)
  3. replaced coil assembly (1 reports)
  4. scarred cylinder heads (1 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 engine problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Feb 212013

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I have bought this truck used from a guy that had this knocking issue already and he had the engine replace. Cost him 10,000; now with a new engine in the truck having 45000 miles on it the knocking sound is back! I am a Ford man, my last truck was a 7.3 Powerstroke and loved it. I drove that truck with the original motor and tranny for 450,000 miles on it, loved it all, down sized to the F-150 for thinking it would be cheaper at the pump and less maint.

I'm with all of you on that law suit, was told that $2000 would; maybe fix the problem. My mechanic said try to get ford to pay for it, but good luck on that.

- , San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Feb 082012

F-150 5.4L

ITS A LEMON FROM FORD , THAT 5.4. IS A BAD MOTOR AND FORD KNOWS IT. FORD TOUGHT, MY- - - , THAY SHOULD FIX IT BUT WILL'NT. NO MORE FORDS FOR ME.

- , Essex, IL, USA

Jun 062011

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I have lost all faith in Ford Motor Company. My 2004 F150 FX4 is quite possibly the biggest pile of junk i have ever owned. Just purchased about 6 months ago, already had to pay 1200 bucks to the Ford dealer to get a tune up... thats right a tune up.. thanks to a faulty spark plug design by Ford. Now i have found out that the ticking noise coming from my engine is faulty CAM PHASERS, and that if I do not get them repaired soon, my engine will sh*# the bed. Ford has quoted me 3500 dollars to fix this issue. I pay about 420 bucks a month to drive this piece of crap, I cant afford to keep fixing one thing after the other on it. Ford refuses to help with anything. BUILT FORD TOUGH... I think not. This money pit has got to go. Buyer Beware!!! Go get yourself a Toyota.

- , Niceville, Florida, USA

Feb 162011

F-150 5.4L

WHATS UP FORD OWNERS?I JUST BOUGHT AMERICAS NUMBER 1 TRUCK AND IT MADE ALL MY DREAMS COME TRUE UNTIL ONE DAY I STOPPED AT A LIGHT BESIDE A CHEVY AND I HEARD A TAPPING NOISE----------------------I TOLD THE GUY YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A FORD HE STARTED LAUGHING AND SAID DON'T MEAN TO HURT YOUR FEELINGS BROTHER BUT THAT NOISE IS COMING FROM YOUR TRUCK AND THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT A CHEVY OR SHALL I SAY CHEVROLET .DAMN MY FEELINGS WERE HURT.I'M SITTING AT THE LIGHT WITH AMERICAS NUMBER 1 TRUCK AND FORD WONT STEP UP AND FIX THIS PROBLEM.I STILL BELIEVE IN THE FORD BRAND BUT IF THEY DON'T STEP UP AND FIX THIS PROBLEM THEIR NAME WILL REALLY BE HURT.I HAVE RAN INTO ABOUT TEN OTHER PEOPLE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AND THEY SAY FORD SAYS ITS THERE PROBLEM NOW COME ON FORD STAND BY YOUR NAME ITS OBVIOUSLY A BIG PROBLEM IS IT REALLY BUILT FORD TOUGH OR IS IT BUILT TO LAST A LITTLE WHILE?

- , Louisa, Virginia, USA

Oct 022008

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Bought a 2004 F150 brand new w/ 5.4 liter eng. 52k later the tapping started, and got worse and worse. One dealer told me it was normal,another said it was the lashers(lifters),another said it was the "phasers'(fancy word for cam shaft sproket).And if they repaired it they said the tapping could come back in 100 miles ,10k miles or never. And pay 5 gran,,I didn't like the odds. I have owned fords for 30 years and for the most part they have been good vehicles.I knew it was just a matter of time before I would get stuck with the one that got past quality control.

I'm really pissed off that Ford hasn't step up to the plate on an issue that has been going on since they came out with this modular engine.No doubt that there are alot of them out there with well over 200k and runnig great ..but like I said I don't like beeing one of the few that got stuck. I have 80k on it now and will keep driving it till it blows,then I plan to repace it with a 5.7 liter Toyota drivetrain!!I'm sure I'l have better luck.

- , Pompano Beach, Florida, USA

Sep 062010

F-150 Triton 5.4L V8

I am really disappointed in Ford. Bought a used vehicel in June 2010 with 138000 miles and I am looking at putting a rebuilt engine in or fixing the valve and follower plus 24.5 hours of labor at 80.00 per hour. I really think Ford needs to redesign this engine. What I have read is that there is a lot of problems with this engine. I am probably going to fix it so at least I can get rid of it and will not buy another Ford truck. I guess the saying goes Fix Or Repair Daily,. That fits my situation. I would like to know if there is a recall on this engine. Does anyone know?

- , Rock Springs, WY, USA

Jan 012008

F-150 FX4 5.4L

i have a red 2004 4x4-4 door-ford thats paid for....and now my pretty fx4 sits in the yard as a reminder to never purchase a ford again- EVER !. was told by the top mechanic and 3 service personel at SAM GALLOWAY FORD, where i bought the truck that my 5.4 v v t was gone. ok- when did they put varriable timing on this motor ? anyone ? they did'nt according to thier shop guys. for $150 a crack they'll keep looking but really today they think its the cam phazers and roughly $2g's MIGHT get me back on the road.

along with having all 4 windows worked on and again one being held up by a wedge as we speak makes me absolutely sure why ford sells so many....because they have to...there is NO quality or toughness. my tranny went out at 40K...what does this tell you.NO, i do not run it hard what-so-ever, its pulled a lawn trailer twice, i live in town, not on a farm and even if i did are they really disposable at 85,000 non smoking miles-looks like it.

how can i get this info to a ceo or to bill ford himself..yes i am going TOYOTA !!! if anyone wants a great deal on a beautiful red southern truck to drive up fords ass let me know!

- , LEHIGH ACRES, FLA., USA

Dec 312005

F-150 5.4L

I had it with this truck, always in the shop. They had to replace coil assy on plug, installed adjuster assy, sensor-camshaft position, left and right lifters per TSB recheck, balance test coils on cyl 3 and 4 and replaced ign coils on 3 and 4.

- , Virginia Beach, Va, USA

Dec 292008

F-150 S Crew Lariat 5.4L V8

Not sure if I should be pissed or happy that I am getting new cylinder heads. Apparently, something has been in my motor that shouldn't have been (because the tapping has been occurring since day 1) and caused scarring on the cylinder heads. I did not notice any change in performance- just concerned about the noise and wanted it checked out. Now my engine is in pieces waiting on cylinder heads at the stealership.

At 56k miles, I think I have had way too many problems with a "built Ford tough" truck. I don't tow anything. Most miles are my 20 mile highway trip to and from work each day. I pay extra for synthetic oil, K&N air filter and take extra care to keep engine clean and maintained. If I didn't have the ESP to pay for these major repairs, Ford and I would be going to court. Problem is- I love my Ford truck.

- , Irving, TX, USA