3.0

lights problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Apr 142015

F-150

With headlight selector switch in the auto position the headlights can suddenly turn-off while driving. I purchased the vehicle new and have always had the headlight switch in the auto position since day one. When driving at night the headlights suddenly shut-off while going down the highway, very nearly lost control of vehicle when trying to pull over and stop. The park lights still were functioning and got the headlights back on by switching the headlight switch to the manual position. Per discussion with dealer believe the body control module quit working. Specifically, a relay in the BCM has failed but is not replaceable. Repair cost is over $400 to change module. Can't afford right now to fix. Research on internet found numerous other similar failures/symptoms but not clear if happened while vehicle was being driven.

- Fremont, NE, USA

Jan 052008

F-150 8-cyl

Passenger side driving/fog light reflector looks rusted/ fast forward to July 9th, 2014 the whole reflector bracket is rusted sitting on the bottom of this lighting housing. Item was reported just after warranty period was over and item was never corrected with Ford. This housing was defective from the day I purchased this vehicle new.

- Lisbon, OH, USA

Jul 012012

F-150 8-cyl

I own a 2004 Ford F-150. In 2012 I had my E-brake light start flashing at me. I brought it into the mechanic and had them look it over, they said they couldn't find anything wrong other then the wiring under the dash was probably bad, so I brought it to a brake specialist and they said the same thing, nothing wrong with cylinder or brakes, that it was the wiring under the dash. I'm truly not safe using my E-brake as I'm not sure if it is working or not. My interior lights started coming on also when I would turn on my headlights, everyone knows you shouldn't have the interior lights on while driving at night anyway. I have read several articles where other Ford F-150 owners are having the same problems. I think this needs to be looked into and a recall should go out.

- Nine Mile Falls, WA, USA

Aug 012010

F-150 8-cyl

2004 Ford F150 w/ adjustable pedals - after a few years use, the brake lights do not work properly. The lights will come on, but only under extreme deceleration, hopefully. The lights will reset if the brake switch is unplugged and plugged back in with vehicle running, but then will continue to act unreliably after a few days of use. The brakes continue to work along with the switch to reposition the automatic shifter from out of park, but the brake lights are completely unreliable. I visit an official Ford F150 forum with many other members that several others are starting to notice that their trucks are doing the same thing. Replacing the "brake switch" recommended by Ford did not correct this problem. This problem has been reported on the forum by members with 2005 and 2006 models as well.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

May 142008

F-150 8-cyl

I have three Ford and hadn't been notice about any recall on my Ford F150 2004 and 2007.

- Maxwell, NM, USA

Jan 242006

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I honestly do not know what is wrong with my 2004 F150 FX4. My truck has been in the shop at both Lincoln/Mercury and Ford dealers here in huntsville, Alabama. Parts have been replaced on multiple occasions so I'm not making this stuff up and the dealerships know something is wrong, but does not want to fix the problem or does not have qualified/trained mechanics. This will be my one and only Ford.

- Huntsville, AL, USA