2004 Ford F-150 miscellaneous problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 202010

I have had 3 window regulator failures in less than a year. My local Ford dealer claims that it seems like bad luck. In one case, I was driving down a highway and the window just dropped into the door. In a 4 door truck, both front windows have dropped and the regulators needed to be replaced and the passenger rear window also fell.

- Ipwich, MA, USA

Sep 202010

- Ipwich, MA, USA

Dec 232010

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

In approximately November 2009, as we were driving our 2004 Ford F150 super crew pickup truck down the highway the window in the passenger door fell into the door with a significant crash. When we attempted to roll the power window back up it would not roll back up. When we returned home we had to wrap plastic wrap around the door because it was the only vehicle that we had at the time. I work 40 miles away from home and had to drive it with the window down to and from work in winter for several days before Ford could get it into the dealership to be worked on. The Ford dealership charged us over $400 dollars to fix this issue. Later I found that this issue is caused by faulty equipment installed at the factory. Here it is, winter time, and it has happened again. Today as my husband was driving to the grocery store the driver window crashed down into the door. He didn't try to open it or anything, it just came loose on its own. This time he believes that the window has broken inside the door. I could not imagine what kind of harm this may have caused him or other drivers if it had shattered before the window made it completely into the door. This is the 2nd window on this truck. There are 4 doors all together. We are worried about what may happen when the next window assembly fails.

- St Augustine, FL, USA

Nov 102010

F-150 8-cyl

3 window motors in my 2004 Ford F150 crew cab were defective. Probably 4 only 21,009 miles.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jun 072010

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Ford F150-lariat purchased in Sept 2004. Since purchase I am now at my third window regulator replacement. The front window regulators were replaced 3/2007 and 5/2008. Now I am required to replace the right rear regulator at $400 a pop.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 252010

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The window to the Ford F-150 was down about half way. I pressed the button to pull it back up but instead there was a clicking noise and it fell down completely. I pressed to bring it back up but it was useless because it didn't function correctly anymore. This problem has occured 3 times: The two back seat windows and the driver's window. The first time it happend I took it to the Ford dealership to get it fixed and was charged 400 dollars. This malfunction could cause saftey hazards.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Mar 192010

Window regulators failed

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Mar 162010

My third power window regulator broke. Each time it was a different window. I had them replaced at the Ford garage.

- Pennsville, NJ, USA

Apr 022010

Had just rolled up front pasenger side window when I heard a loud thump. I was in heavy traffic and nearly @&*^ my pants. I realized the window had fell from it's track and won't go back up. Dealership is closed, will be driving with plastic on the window. Not good. Researching this problem I see it is a major issue, and likely a safety hazzard.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Apr 012010

I month ago, I had the driverside window regulator replace on my 2004 Ford 150, today my daughter and I are on our way to the store and the window on the rear passengers side comes crashing down. If this is sa know defect why is frod not replacing them. Someone is going to get hurt soon or later by this.

- Covington, GA, USA

Mar 232010

Third time in 5 years power window regulator on my 2004 Ford F-150 has failed. Failure usually occurs while driving. Window simply falls into the door and there is nothing you can do to pull it back up. Were this type of incident occur during adverse weather, on the driver's side, serious consequences are highly likely.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Feb 012010

Windows would roll up and down normally with no problem. One day in Feb. Of 2010 my pasenger backseat window fell down halfway into the door. I could not use my power switch at all. In fact when I tried it gave off a burnt smell. I was told to replace the window regulator. I couldn't find one locally so I temporaraly fixed it by putting a heavy duty piece of cardboard in the door to hold the window up. No more than about 2 weeks later, my driverside backseat window did the exact same thing. So I searched online and found a new pair to replace the broken ones. Then on 3/22/2010 while driving, my driverside front window began to creep down. I tried the switch and slam! the window fell all the way into the door. I can't even pull it out enough to tape it shut. I am truely upset because not only is this a huge inconvienience, but a safety hazzard. Each window regulator is roughly $130-$145 depending on which side is needed. This price is picked up, not an installed quote. My parts are ordered and on thier way.

- Donna, TX, USA

Mar 242010

2004 Ford F-150 slt supercrew 4-door...power window fails, window falls down into door...this is my fourth incident, once for each window...the fix is to replace the "power window regulator assembly" which costs over $450

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Mar 232010

2004 F150 super-crew Ford window regulator/motors and cable/pulley assemblies. I've had three windows fall into the door after making a very loud noise while driving. This has cost me over $1,275

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Apr 012008

The brake system uses plastic "O" rings, instead of metal, in the brake calipers. Upon cool over time the "O" ring warps. Meaning every time I use my brakes, I'm damaging my brake system.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jan 312010

During winter storm 2010 (January 30-31, 2010) the passager window on my 2004 F-150 suddenly fell down and would not go back up. Took this vehicle to cavilier Ford in chesapeake, va and was told that the window regulator/pulley assembly was broken and that the cost of repair would cost $535; reseached this on the web ( and this seems to be a big, big, costly and dangerous problem. This should be a recall fix. This could happen to the other 3 windows and could happen repeatly.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Oct 222009

I bought a 2004 Ford F-150 supercrew truck last October. When I took it home from the dealer, I rolled down the passenger-side rear window and it just dropped inside the door. I took it back to the dealer and they fixed it. I thought it was just a random incident or that it just came off the track and no big deal. Well, a couple days ago (now that I've had it for 1 year and no warranty) I picked up my kids from school and as we were driving home the driver-side rear window (the other one this time) fell down inside the door. I had no warning, didn't hit any button, and suddenly wondered where the wind was coming from. At first I thought my kids rolled it down but hey didn't. I tried to roll it up with the power control button on my arm-rest and nothing happened. All I heard was a grinding sound and remembered what happened the first time around and went "awww great!" this is the second window in a year and after researching heavily online I discovered I'm not alone. I am dumbfounded as to how this issue with Ford window regulator/motors and cable/pulley assemblies has not forced a recall!!! how is this possible with all of the complaints posted with NHTSA and online forums" I have been told this isn't a recall issue because it doesn't affect emissions or safety, but if that's the case, how is this not a safety/security issue??? I'm lucky that my window didn't shatter and hit me or, more importantly, my children! not only that, but what if this had caused an accident? nobody should be driving down the road, hear a loud clunk, freak out, and swerve off the road! not a safety issue? seriously? and what about this being a security issue? how in the hell do I keep my window up and lock my truck while I'm shopping for groceries or something? not only could someone steal something inside but they could steal my truck! if this isn't a security issue then why do I have remote locks/alarm" something has to be done about this! I don't have $400 to throw away in this economy!

- Menifee, CA, USA

Aug 142009

Ford 2004 F150 crewcab driver side window will not roll up. This is a safety hazard.

- Longview, WA, USA

Aug 172009

2004 F150 supercrew lariat drivers side rear window dropped down, cable failure. This happened while driving with people in the vehicle.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Mar 292009

We own a 2004 F150 lariat 4X4 pickup with just over 50K miles on it. In less than 3 months two (2) of the four (4) power windows have dropped without warning. These windows have simply fallen down driving the vehicle without any bumps or accidents preceding them falling. What is worse is that my two year daughter was in car seat yesterday next to the back window that dropped as we were driving. What if some debris from passing traffic or semi trailer had blown by...this would have been a major catastrophe. And all Ford can say is..."sorry, it will cost you $400 to fix." Well, that isn't good enough. Something needs to be done about it. Far too many incidents like this are happening. See the following hyperlink for others with similar problems.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA