2004 Ford F-150 miscellaneous problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 012016

Loud rattling/vibration throughout the truck, causing tires at times to bounce and slip. Opened differential and carrier has malfunction.

- Purcell, OK, USA

Aug 112016

I was driving down the road when my left rear window went crashing down inside the door. After doing a lot of searching on the net I found this is happening a lot on a number of the Ford F-150 trucks, a cheap plastic part fails and the window falls down. No warning the window just falls down in the door

- Roseville, CA, USA

Jul 132016

I was pulling a trailer over the Continental divide with my family and stopped to get gas in leadville, Colorado. As I was pumping gas I saw smoke coming from under my truck bed. I looked under the truck and saw flames near my spare tire. I stopped pumping gas and ran to get a fire extinguisher. After the fire was out I observed that my tail-pipe had broken away from my muffler. The heat from my exhaust had melted the rubber coating on my rear right brake cable. The heat had also melted some plastic near my spare tire. The mechanic in leadville who welded my tail pipe back to the muffler told me the melted plastic came from an evaporative fuel emissions system mounted near my spare tire. (bad place to put it if you ask me) my truck bed-liner also started to melt from the heat. I called Ford to notify them of the safety problem and they only recommended that I take it to a Ford dealer and have it looked at. I doubt I will ever hear from them again. I'm not going to pay out of my pocket to have this problem officially diagnosed. I guess I'm just lucky to be alive and that the whole gas station didn't blow up.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Dec 262015

My truck felt like it was driving really well, I was driving from a to B which was about 6 miles. Im almost home & I stop at a light, when it turned green I accelerated &when I did I heard a knocking sound&so I pulled over& I couldn't pin point exactly where it was coming from, just it was coming from the back of the engine on the right guessing maybe the 3rd or 4th spark plug. I checked my oil I was maybe 1quart hoping that was it, I bought a quart&some oil repair to go in with it. The guy at autozone thought the U could guess that didn't sound almost like a lawn mower.which is baffling cuz there was no warning, no check engine light, no prior noise.I'm lost.I've been reading about spiting spark plugs&a lot of the same stuff happening in these trucks.I'm wondering if there was a recall" if not why? if there are complaints from over 1000 people saying the exact samething, why hunt Ford done anything about it"I use this truck to take MY71 year old vietnam veteran grandpa to his dr appointments&use it for work.from what I'm reading no one is gonna help but I have to try.please let me know if there is any advice or hopefully do the right thing & help me work with the dealership I bought the truck is 6614419336.thanks.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Oct 012015

We've had a lot of issues with this truck but the main issue is when we drive down the road it misses a lot and the smell of fuel in the truck. We've taken it in and they said a lot of other people have had the same issues with there truck like ours. Please contact us asap.

- Wolcottville, IN, USA

Jul 222015

During an oil change it was noticed that the left hand front differential mounting bracket appeared to have a crack pursuant with tsb 06-11-12. However upon closer examination it was shown that the damage was more extensive then the "concern of the left hand front differential mounting bracket separating from the frame rail." Mention in the tsb. Instead of the aforementioned mount breaking, a section of the frame approximately 1/4 of an inch around the welds for the differential mount on all sides had separated from the rest of the frame leaving a hole in the frame approximately four inches across.

- Homer, AK, USA

May 182015

I bought this vehicle used with 139000 miles on Saturday 05/16/15. Now I was not expecting a new vehicle but not one with so many problems either. First of all it has a very rough idle, I found that there is a serious problem with this engine and removal of the spark plugs. The repair shop will not even give an estimate for changing the spark plugs as there are very well known problems with them breaking off in the engine. Ford knows about this and has put out a notice about this known problem. I had to take it for a lower steering arm replacement on Monday 05/18/15 as the wheel was not returning to the straight position without assistance. Now there is a humming noise from the rear differential that the repair guy said is the pinion barring and that it needs to be fixed. The dealer window sticker had everything checked as good and no notes to say there was anything wrong with the vehicle. No surprise there. After checking this web site I found an open recall for the airbag which was repaired. I also found all the reports of problems with this vehicle. My question is why the NHTSA is not requiring Ford to recall these vehicles for the numerous problems that were reported from day one and allowed to continue through 2008. Ford was allowed to keep building these vehicles along with others with the same defective parts for over 4 years. That is just wrong. I can not believe they are allowed to get away with this kind of crap.

- Oconto Falls, WI, USA

Oct 272011

F-150 8-cyl

I leave my windows up on the truck. It is cold (winter time) truck was in the garage. I went to the garage and the window on the passenger side was down. I cranked the truck, pushed the button and the window would not come up. I took the truck to the dealer they said the front door window regulator had to be replaced. This cost $344.66 to replace the regulator. Since the first replacement, the two back windows have done the same thing. I assume if my truck is having this problem others are also. This appears to be a defect and the company should pay for the repairs.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 152012

Driving down the road window just falls down. Window motor failure. Already replaced both rear window motors. Have read on line thousands of complaints about this. Ford Motor Co. Has no plans to issue recall or address this issue.

- Newington, GA, USA

Sep 012011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The spark plugs in the 2004 F-150 pickup trucks did not get anit-seize compound when installed in factories. Just google 2004 F-150 spark plugs and you will see much more information. Now when you replace the spark plugs, they have a tendency to break off. Dealership cost to replace the spark plugs is $350 plus $90 for each spark plug that is broken. This is an obvious design flaw that is costing the public millions of dollars world wide and the ntsb needs to step in and order a recall to protect consumers and stop Ford from taking advantage of the consumers because of their spark plug design flaw..

- Troy, MI, USA

Jun 282011

Two of the four window regulators have broke causing safety and security issues. The parts are expensive and defective. The last malfunction occued when I was driving down the road and the passenger window fell when the vehicle was parked. I heard a popping noise like somebody threw something at the truck and then the window fell into the door. My wife and I have two young children and this poses a large safety risk to them. These parts are obviously defective and should be replaced by Ford Motor Company.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jan 012006

F-150 8-cyl

2004 Ford F-150... all 4 of my window regulators have failed ! also my 5th rear window is going out too...I'm tired of paying out so much money for them to just fail again ! 2 of my windows won't even go up anymore and the inside of my truck is getting dirty dirty dirty! I hope nothing flies into my truck when im driving or someone is going to be hurt! the windows just stop working no reason at all! please help this is out of control and Ford needs to step up before someone gets hurt not after!!!

- Porterville, CA, USA

Jun 152011

The left rear window, right rear window, right front window abruptly dropped into the door cavity. The service center at the Ford dealer informed me that the cause of the malfunction is failure of the window regulators on all three doors. According to the Ford dealership service center and my own investigation it appears that the window regulators on the 2004 Ford F1 50 pickup trucks are defective. Ford Motor Company acknowledges that the window regulators on the 2004 F150 pickup truck are indeed defective but they are unwilling to recall and replace the defective part unless your organization orders the recall. Searching the internet I have come across scores of other Ford owners with the same problem. There have been numerous requests for Ford Motor Company to recall these vehicles and replace the defective window regulators. Although Ford Motor Company does not feel that this is a safety issue we Ford owners do feel that it is. Driving at 65 to 70 miles an hour and three windows abruptly drop into the cavity of the door it could and probably as been the cause of accidents. We urge you to petition Ford Motor Company to recall the 2004 through 2006 Ford F1 50 pickup truck and replace the manufacturers defective window regulators.

- San Miguel, CA, USA

Apr 232011

I went to start the vehicle, hand slipped off of the key, the vehicle would crank but not turn over. Tried to restart the vehicle numerous times. Unplugged the battery, left it sit for 10-15 mins (thought it was the anti theft). Later in the day a friend looked at it, troubleshot it as fuel pump- used owner manual to look at fuses, everything looked fine. Concluded had to be with the fuel pump or sensor. Had to have the vehicle towed to a garage, pulled the fuel pump sensor off, there was a giant whole in the outer layer and plastic was cracked. Moisture fried the circuit board. The part is currently at VRTC. I am glad my vehicle was at home and not somewhere in a parking lot or far from home. No real signs of this happening prior to not starting.

- Bellefontaine, OH, USA

May 012010

While driving, my son sitting in the back passenger seat pressed the window switch to lower the window. When he did, there was a loud sound and the window dropped down. I found out from our mechanic that the window regulator broke. Later in the year, I went to lower the drivers side window while stationary, and I heard the motor moving but the window did not lower. It finally slowly fell as I started driving and it would not go back up. Again, it was the window regulator that had failed. Yesterday, while driving from my place of work and moving about 25 mph, I accidently hit the back drivers side window switch, and I heard a loud noise and saw that the window held fell part way down. Again, the regulator had failed. So, within the past year, three of the four window regulators have failed and I have had to replace them.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Feb 182011

F-150 8-cyl

The third window regulator in my 2004 Ford F-150 lariat just failed causing the window to fall. The dealership claims that this is not a defect but thousands of other F-150 owners have had the same problem. The first two fixes cost $450 each.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Feb 062011

F-150 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Ford F150 with a defective window regulator. I already know Ford has put in a defective part causing the windows to collapse and have seen many cases where this happens to people with Ford. There are thousands of complaints that I read for the same problem. I do not understand why you don't push Ford for a recall? its not right for customers to pay for repairs due to a manufacturer defect.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Nov 102010

Three of the four window regulators have broken in my truck, and let the window come down byself. This is on a 2004 Ford F-150.

- Canon, GA, USA

Jan 082011

F-150 8-cyl

2 window regulators in my 2004 Ford F150 crew cab were defective.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Sep 202010

I have had 3 window regulator failures in less than a year. My local Ford dealer claims that it seems like bad luck. In one case, I was driving down a highway and the window just dropped into the door. In a 4 door truck, both front windows have dropped and the regulators needed to be replaced and the passenger rear window also fell.

- Ipwich, MA, USA