6.0

2. poured in a friction modifier (1 reports)
  3. replace clutch packs in rear (1 reports)
  4. replace disintegrating torque converter (1 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 transmission problems

transmission problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jan 032011

F-150 LX 5.4L

I found out this problem does not set a code. Really feel the problem between 45 & 50 mph if any one knows what it is i would like to know please. Its really annoying

- , McClure, PA, USA

Trans shutters and bucks when accelerating over 45...not all the time though

- , Galloway, NJ, USA

Sep 262010

F-150 STX 4.6L

I own an 2004 Ford F-150 STX 4.6 On September 26 ,2010 I was parked at a convenience store. When I got back in the truck it took a minute for reverse to engage. On the next day when I put the truck in reverse truck was jumping while going backwards. Truck also started hesitating when puling from stop.I would press on the accelerator , nothing happened , then truck jumped into gear. Going downhill on the highway it seemed as if it were coming out of overdrive. At other times it would go in and out of overdrive regardless of the terrain. On Tuesday September 28 th I went to a parts store and bought a friction modifier, I have owned many Ford products and this always solved the problem.So far so good , it appears that the friction modifier solved the problem. I only paid a little over 7 dollars and then poured the friction modifier in the transmission.

- , Meridian, MS, USA

Sep 012010

F-150 5.4L V8

When accelerating between 45-55 mph, the transmission jumps/clunks...so annoying.

- , Del Rio, TX, USA

Aug 092010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Recently experienced a slipping in the truck when slowly accelerating past 45- 55 mph. The truck would start to jump back and forth like it was trying to go into overdrive. Not sure what the solution might be to the problem, it's currently at the shop being looked at

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jul 052006

F-150 5.4L

It started not long after getting the truck new. between 45-50 mph it jerks as if someone has bumped into you not often but once in a while. I told the dealership about it and it did not happen when they test drove it. Now 4 years later it does it consistently. Going in monday to get itlooked at.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Dec 292008

F-150 S Crew Lariat 5.4L V8

There was a small bump when going from a stop to first gear. Not really a big deal, but there was also a hesitation between gas pedal and forward motion (which began with a bump). Thought it might be a u joint or something simple. NO- torque converter was disintegrating and required a tranny rebuild- at 56k miles.

- , Irving, TX, USA

Apr 102004

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Out of the blue, the truck begins to shake and gets very bad at all speeds (happens once or twice a week). Shaking stops after stopping and putting truck into park and then back to drive. Started in 2004 and has been returned to dealer for fix approximately 6 times since April 2004 with no acknowledgment by dealer or remedy so far (Parkway Ford-Woodbridge, VA.."doesn't happen when tech drives it"). My solution looks to be to trade for a Silverado.

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 012007

F-150 Lariat 5.4L Triton

Just that it took numerous visits and eventually I talked to a neutral friend who is a certified mechanic in Maryland who told me it had to be the clutch packs.

I told them that on the 3rd visit, but apparently they didn't think a GIRL! would know anything and shined me on, until last weekend when it got bound in 4H in the middle of a sharp L Hand turn in a parking lot, Hows that for embarrassing?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow after paying multiple deductibles I am now PEEVED and going for a reimbursement on those and the 4wd rental I HAD TO COVER due to no loaners in 4w @ this dealership!I .

There is also an annoying whistle @ cold temps that goes away for about 10 secs when gas is pressed, then just returns. My husband has a 04 F- 150 as well and his does the same! Wish me luck on Tues with my meeting with the owner if the Dealership! And I think the EXTRACARE warranty is a JOKE!!!! They have morons that take your call that don't know Jack about the mechanics of the vehicles they are covering, DUH! Kim-

- , Jersey Shore, PA, USA

Feb 242007

F-150 STX 4.6L

DRIVELINE CLUNKING/GRUNTING NOISE OR SHUDDER SENSATION DURING LIGHT TO MODERATE ACCELREATION AND/OR BRAKING.

- , Anderson, SC, USA