2. replaced snap ring (3 reports)
  3. the transmission was rebuilt (3 reports)
  4. i bought a transmission at a ford dealer (2 reports)
  5. replace crappy transmission (1 reports)
  6. replace transmission (1 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 transmission problems

transmission problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 132015

F-150 FX 5.4L

I bought it used with 94,000 miles on it....from a CHEVROLET DEALER! Was highly recommended the 2 year service plan. BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT! Paid $1200 for the bumper to bumper warranty and got about $6000 of work done over the 1st 2 years. Time for spark plugs, right. I got off easy....only $800 to replace the 8 plugs...only 4 sheared off at the repair shop. .....Oh the tranny? 2 hrs from home going about 40mph...felt like it went into neutral. Stopped, checked fluid, still no 30mph+++. Shut the O/D off and drove fine in 3rd gear. Thought for sure it was a vacuum line or something. Got on Google and checked...ruined my day! I was brought up in a GM family, ate GM food, paid for by GM money.....sorry Dad! I wanted it to make it through 1 more winter before I buy a new one in spring...not going to fix it. Maybe I'll buy a used Chevy from a Ford Dealer in the spring....NO MORE FORDS!

- , Gaylord, MI, USA

Sep 032014

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Yes, I too have a 2004 FORD F150 XLT that the overdrive has failed! Can't afFORD to have it repaired. Uses much more fuel on the highway without overdrive. This is should definitely be a FORD RECALL issue! This problem is occurring way to often with these FORD vehicles not to be recalled, If there is not a recall on these tranny's soon. I WILL NOT EVER PURCHASE A FORD AGAIN! And I will continue to spread the word on FORD'S LACK OF COMMITMENT to there customers!

- , Sherman, TX, USA

Nov 142013

F-150 FX4 5.4L

This is a simple fix, however every mechanic shop wants the entire transmission to either be over hauled or replaced with estimates between $2,000 to $2,500 for this simple fixed but was told that to fix it right the transmission needs to be upgraded. So why wasn't there a recall on this very common problem that the mechanic shops have told me?

Apr 232014

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Says truck is always in OD, will not shut off, could be due to issue with transmission not having first gear and second gear slipping. Will know for sure when we replace the transmission.

- , Harlan, IA, USA

Feb 192014

F-150 5.4L Triton

driving home normal 10 mile trip,stopped at red light started to drive at about 40 mph tack revved to 4000rpm like truck was in neutral. pulled over and stopped then started again did same thing at 40 mph. shifted off od and truck picked up speed to about 60mph.read all of the other threads seems like my 2004 f150 is in same boat,but don't have money to fix problem right now..how long can I drive with od off before total tranny failure.just don't have money to fix right now.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Aug 102012

F-150 FX 4 5.4L

this has been a problem with ford for several years there should be a recall ford should a least replace at fair discount instead of trying to sell you a new one at $3100

- , Tulalip, WA, USA

Apr 142013

F-150 5.4L

Everything that is being said about the Ford F-150+ series and.. the year really doesn't matter, is happening to my 2004 F-150 too. I can't believe how consistent each complaint is. My prayer now is.. "recall" is warranted and becomes official immediately.

Regards, Rcarter

- , Austin, TX, USA

Aug 252012

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I was driving back to WI from MO when the overdrive would not engage. Called my local Mech. and he told me to take the overdrive off which seemed to allowed the truck to go over 40 mph. Called Ford motor Co.which of course gave the run around and although the operator said she understands my problem I diffently questioned her on it. How could you know how we feel when we buy a 30k-35k truck and have to shell out 3k more to fix a screw up that Ford could have avoided by maybe paying a couple of dollars for a quality part. She did take down my info and it seemed like she did her best to just get me off the phone!! I feel very betrayed by the Ford Motor Co. since like a lot of other owners, we have been gun-ho Ford all the way. Ford needs to step up and get a set of balls and treat the customers more like family instead of a competitor. If Ford does not do this then they will be asking for assistance from the Gov. like all of the other American Motor Co. Ford you should be ashamed to call yourselves Americans. Keep doing these things and your company will burn Down!!!

- , Deforest, WI, USA

May 172012

F-150 XL 4.6L V8

Turned the truck on one day and noticed a "TRANS FAULT no O/D" message in the dash. The truck drives and shifts fine. I took it to the dealer and they reported a code for the transmission temperature sensor. After removing the transmission pan they noticed a chunk of metal and mentioned the torque converter essentially "punching through". They recommended a new transmission ($3000) or a new torque converter + any other parts ($1500+).

The mileage was 64,000, roughly 66% of it highway miles. Towed a couple times after getting the vehicle, never any rough driving.

This was a complete and very expensive surprise.

I noticed several other reports on this site as well as some Ford forums. A family friend works at another Ford dealer and mentioned having to replace the transmission on a 2005 F-150 months ago for a similar issue.

- , Augusta, GA, USA

Dec 162011

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

don,t buy a ford truck,especially 2004 lariat.it runs like sh*t ,spaRK plugs are a pain in the rear to change

- , channelview, TX, USA

Apr 142011

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Tranny started slipping here and there when cruising at slow speeds,30-35mph.When I let off the gas and coasted for a short distance,and gave it just a little gas to keep going,it would rev right up.Immediatly let off the gas and you could feel it engage,and then it would be ok.Did this for several months....sometimes once or twice a day,or maybe only once a week.

Finally about a week ago,I lost overdrive completely and had to use the button on the shifter to shut off overdrive so I could drive it.I have a friend that I've known for 20 years or so that has been doing trannys for 29 years.He knew what the problem was before he did anything.He said it was the snap ring,and what happens is that it breaks/shatters and the pieces float around in there,and eventually cause more problems....costly ones.I dropped my truck off at 8am this morning,and at 5pm this afternoon I picked it up.Now,he also told me that he's the only one around my area that will do just the snap ring....every other shop wants to do a complete overhaul when THERE IS NO NEED TO.All these shops are just money hungry and rape the poor customer for every penny.

My buddy charged me $500.00 to do the snap ring,and new filter and fluid.When I went to pick it up,he said take it for a ride.Well I beat the hell outa that thing for 15 minutes,flooring it and letting it run through the gears continuously up and down the road....and it was perfect,never shifted so smooth.

- , Plymouth, MA, USA

Aug 042011

F-150 Crew Cab Lariat 5.4L

First let's start off by saying i am very meticulous when it comes to maintenance on my vehicles, i keep records of all of my oil changes and my complete transmission fluid flush and filter change. That's why i am so pissed about my transmission deciding to screw up on my daily commute home with my son! At 40mph my truck felt like it just jumped into neutral, i pulled over took it out of overdrive and it drove home fine. I checked my fluids and my records, fluid was clean and full and my records show its been 8 months since my last fluid and filter change. I really hope ford does something about this problem on the 2004 F-150. I have owned nothing but ford trucks since i was old enough to buy one, this is by far the nicest truck i have ever bought crew cab 4wd loaded lariat truck with the 5.4 motor. I went all out on this truck and i feel like ford has laid the pipe to me and others who paid 35000.00 + for their trucks!!! I work for a company that makes parts for Toyota, Nissan, and Honda but i stayed true to my Ford......If ford doesn't stand behind their trucks i will buy a Toyota or Nissan because i know they do!

- , Tazewell, TN, USA

Nov 092011

F-150 Lariat 5.3L V8

Driving home last night, I hit 40 miles per hour and suddenly my engine disengaged from the drive train and started reving...no power to the wheels. After a couple of quick attempts to re-engage the engine (I was on the highway during rush hour), I turned the over drive off and it kicked back into gear. I called my normal Ford dealership, and they informed me that they can't get me into the shop for a week because they were dealing with a large volume of transmission problems...hmmm..coincidence?? It's not fixed yet, but the comments left for similar problems will help me discuss the issue with a non-Ford mechanic, as I don't want to get fleeced by Ford. I will also submit a complaint with the NHTSA as well, hoping that this may become a recall for Ford so I can be reimbursed for the poor quality parts in the tranny.

- , Gahanna, OH, USA

Jul 012011

F-150 Supercrew 5.4L

5.4L Supercrew. 100,000 Miles O/D went out.

No towing, off roading or abuse.

Transmission techs all say if you have a Ford and drive under 50MPH TURN OFF THE O/D because it will fail from excessive cycling.

Thanks to all the others who shared their repair stories. It may save me a lot of money.

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Oct 032011

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Driving @ 60 mph and tranny acted like it was in neutral. I took it out of o/d and 1st 2nd and 3rd worked fine. Went on this site and read some of the same issues and decides it was the snap ring. So my local mech. and I decided to try to fix . He dropped the oil pan and oil valve and saw that the snap ring was broken Replaced snap ring and put valve back together( when putting valve stem back in make sure it is line up in band correctly). The snap ring was busted and was missing 2 small pieces that we could not locate. O/ D still wouldn't work. cost $270 thought about replacing tranny for $ 2600. Called a local tran mech and he said it would cost $ 1200 - $2400 to repair depending on what he thought was wrong. Ford dealer wanted about $3000 to replace with new tran. Called another tran mech and said to bring over and he would take a look at it. He determined he could fix it a lot cheaper(Never had to pull tran did work from oil pan area) Found the 2 little snap ring pieces stuck in a valve and replaced snap ring with a better style and did a few small up grades. WORKS GREAT His bill was $420 dollars. So go to show that a good tran. mech is very important in fixing the problem and not trying to rip me off and would recommend to a lot of people So my total cost was $ 270 first mech and $ 420 GOOD tran mech. for a total of approx.$700. Beats the hell out of $3000.

- , Beaver Dam, WI, USA

Jun 112011

F-150 XL 4.6L

Had just bought it used I'm on disability... was a major undertaking and then had to come up with the tranny money 8 weeks later. Very disappointing ... been a ford truck driver for years

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Dec 012010

F-150 Supercrew 4.8L

After a three day trip and five airplain flights, I'm leaving the airport, turn onto the road, gas it and overdrive goes out. Can't go anywhere with overdrive on. Turn off overdrive and am able to drive the 2.5 hours home.

The next morning, Ford tells me the problem is $1300 to repair the overdrive, but they recommend the overhaul because, heck might as well as long as it's torn apart, $2300, or just replace the whole thing in case there are additional problems that the diagnostics didn't find, $3200. I paid the $85 fee for the diagnostic report, which was one sentence saying an overdrive ring hand broken, and took it to an independent auto tech. He's replacing it with a rebuilt transmission for about $800.

I don't remember everything but the poorly crafted parts list now includes a transmission, heating regulator, alternator, three window regulators, a leaking third break light that ruined the back seat, a back seat, a busted CD player...you get the picture.

Ford Tough? Ford Tough Sh*t If You're Still Crazy Enough to Buy One After Reading This. Oh, by the way, my brother drives a TOYOTA truck. Still has the original transmission with 238,000 miles.

- , Anderson, SC, USA

Feb 112010

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

This is bs!!! All of the cars that i have bought have been fords. I was really stoked to be able to get the new body type of the F150. I had manual F150 before my 04. I'm pissed that i paid 30k for something that doesn't work right. I have been, and still am proud of buying American, but i can't help but feel let down by Ford. I can't believe there are so many complaints about this issue. My best friend has a Lariat who's transmission wen out at 80000k miles. He didn't bother to complain about it, he just got it fixed. I couldn't afford to fix my truck because my business went under, But i will have to this tax season in order to sell it and buy a Toyota!!

- , Garden Grove, CA, USA

Jan 262011

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

i have this problem where my overdrive does not work . my truck has only 75ooo miles on it. I think that ford really should look into these complaints about the transmissions because it is funny that these trucks really do not have alot of miles on them to be going ,. they really need to look into have ing a recall on these problems. it is pretty bad when you don't have the truck even paid off and have too put in 3000 dollars worth of work ontop of paying 30000 grand for a vehicle.

- , Springwater, NY, USA

Nov 072010

F-150 XLT 5.4

I was on my way home from fishing when my truck felt like i put it in neutral at about 40 mph. I pulled over and stopped and the transmission started working again. I start driving again and the same thing happened again at 40 mph. I pulled over again and stopped.I took the trans out of overdrive and it worked good enough to get me home. I had my wife follow me to the ford dealer to have my truck fixed. When ford found the problem they called me and gave me a price to fix my truck,about 2800.00to rebuild or 3500.00for a refurb. I caller ford factory main plant and talked to Anthony a ford rep.about my truck and he gave me a case# 1403773090. he said he would look into it for me.The next day the ford dealer that is doing the work on my truck (RANCHO FORD LINCOLN MERCURY) told me ford will not help with the cost because of mileage.I picked up my truck this Saturday NOV 6,2010.My total bill was $3280.97. RANCHO FORD was nice enought to take a couple of hundred off the bill!!! THANH YOU RANCHO FORD!!! the bill was going to be 3480.97. Come Monday I will call ford factory an talk to Anthony again.

MY hole family, father my self and my son has always driven a ford product. I had a 1995 ford f-150 and the trans was taken out twice to be fixed by ford under warranty and I thought maybe I just had a fluke truck. I sold that truck and took over my father 1998 f_150. I drove that truck until I bought my 2004 F-150. If ford wont help with my bill THIS WILL BE MY LAST FORD!!! also my son will never have a ford again!!! My father already jumped to Toyota!!!

Yes my truck trans has the same defect as many other ford F-150 the snap ring broke. Its just to bad no one started a class action against ford for its transmission problem. It seems there is a lot ford F-150 with the same problem!!!!!

I will keep you posted of the out come of my phone call Monday with ANTHONY a ford factory rep. his phone # is 1-800 392-3673 if others have the same problem call and tell ford we are not happy with there product. get it wright or we will change auto brands!!!

- , San Diego, CA, USA