2. vacuum actuator on pass. firewall (2 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jun 152011

F-150 XLT 5.4L

This is the first problem I've had with this truck that is a common issue with this model and Ford will do nothing about. Well, minus the easy fix. A $20 solenoid that only fixes the problem if you're lucky. As with many others, my problem is now in the hub actuators (caused by the solenoid) and will cost me 7-800 bucks. As I'm trying to save up enough money to fix this problem, the passenger window decides to just drop. Come to find out this too is a common Ford problem that they wont recognize and take care of so it will cost me 3-400 bucks to fix. Nice going Ford. I think you've just lost me as a long time customer.

- , Vienna, WV, USA

Oct 162010

F-150 4x4 5.4L

all of a sudden my left front wheel i believe is making a crackling noise when you exelerate. as soon as you take foot off gas peddle it stops. had a wheel bearing replace 2 months ago.. taking it to ford this week, they know how to soak ya for all your worth,,,,

- , Oswego, NY, USA

Jan 202010

F-150 Stx 4x4 4.6L

I have been all over the internet and believe that the are a lot of issues with low mileage Ford F150's. After putting into four wheel drive the truck makes a rattling sound from the right hub and the truck won't engage into 4 wheel drive. The dealer said it was a actuator. It would have been $700 for both but I can only afford one done right now.

- , Harrisburg, IL, USA

Apr 012009

F-150 Supercab 4x4 V8

I have replaced the same two things that #2 did without a warranty and it cost me a bundle. Now I am about to try to vacuum lines, and I don't know how much it is going to cost me. I am on SSD on a fixed income. I think this should be a factory recall, or a lawsuit. The truck only has 48,000 miles. I have owned other Ford F-150's with over 150,000 miles on them and never had this problem before This is the most I had ever paid for a 2004 F-150 4x4 Supercab; $19,000, and I think having these problems in a short time is a real joke. I am seriously thinking about going back to Chevy products. I had been a Chevy man for 15 years till Ford got better with their products, and I switched to Ford the last 10 years. Please email me if anyone can help me or not with a update on this truck because I can't afford to buy another truck on ssd. Email me at

- , Corning, NY, USA

May 162007

F-150 XL 4.2L V-8

Started noticing clicking noise on both front hubs when in 2wd. noise went away in 4wd. Found vacuum bleeding off to both hubs , therefore the truck was trying to engage 4wd. found that the vacuum solenoid in the engine area on the firewall , pass. side, was saturated with water. Water runs off the lower cowl right onto it. ruining it. Got the part from Ford , installed myself . problem was solved.

- , Naples, FL, USA