2004 Ford F-150 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jun 272007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving a 2004 Ford 150 pickup South on interstate 29 near glenwood Iowa when the steering wheel began to vibrate. I tried to pull to the right to see what was causing it when the right front tire seemed to explode. I was able to pull off the highway to the right without losing control of the truck and got out to see what had happened. I found the right front passenger tire still inflated but without any tread on the tire. I also found half the running board was missing, and a small dent in the door just above where the running board used to be. I called a tow truck and had the vehicle towed to tincher Ford in glenwood Iowa and had the tire replaced. This cost wa S$157. I still did not know what it was going to cost to replace the running board. The mechanic mentioned he had never seen the tread on a tire separate the way this one did. I kept the old tire and replaced it with the exact same brand, a general ameritrac TR P255/70 R17. I am nervous about driving on these tires now with the fear of this reoccuring. I just heard there has been a series of accidents and even deaths caused by this tire. I would also like to recover the cost of the repairs to my pickup and tires.

- Glenwood, IA, USA

Mar 262007

F-150 8-cyl

First - tire not listed on this complaint form - Continental Contitrac OWL P255/65R17. Driving 60mph on 2-lane hwy - saw smoke & then front right tire popped. Truck pulled hard to right. Luckily there wasn't a ditch or barrier because truck probably would have rolled with possible injuries. Contacted Ford dealer because I had purchased tire warranty when truck (F150) was purchased new in Nov 2004. They said there was no recall on my year truck/tire P255/65R17 Contitrac. They said they would have to call insurer of warranty to see if covered. 3/4 of sidewall blew out! I will be going to Ford dealer 3/28/07.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Sep 152006

F-150 8-cyl

Recall campaign number 05T022000; I have a 2004 F-150 with the Continental Contitrac tire on it original equipment. I have had to replace the tires after just 35000 miles of life. This is a 50000 mile tire. I feel this recall should be extended to the 2004 model year F-150 as well.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Oct 262004

F-150 8-cyl

I have a 2004 F150 4X4 reg. Cab 4X4 pick up truck. It has Goodyear Wrangler tires on it. LT275/65 18C Wrangler at/S. they keep cupping. I am now on my 5th set of tires. Ford wants to and did at one time put on P275/65 18 on the truck. I was against this dropping to a P metric tire. They now reinstalled the light truck tires again at my request. Ford stated that they know they have a problem with these tires. My biggest concern is that they are dropping to a P metric from a light truck. The cupping is also a safety concern with not getting good contact with the road. I will give you the fist date this happened. The first time I only had 181 miles on my truck.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Dec 152004

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F150. The tire manufacturer is Continental tires, contritrac, size P255/65R17. It is a tubeless radial tire. At only 3000 miles the truck shook. They changed two tires because the tires were not good. On June 27, 2005 the rear driver's side tire blew out.

- Yemassee, SC, USA

Aug 162004

I purchased my 2004 F150 supercab 2X4 August 12 and paid my first payment to Ford motor credit September 11. It has 4500 miles on it and already needed four new tires! during the past month I have had seven (7) flats. Granted, I drive five miles (one way) down a dirt road sometimes twice a day, but that's exactly why I wanted a truck, I thought it could handle it. I showed the tires to the service department at the dealership where I purchased my truck, their response: It looks like somebody has been peeling out on gravel that gravel is really eating up this truck" "I'm sorry, we can't help you". actually, the tires look like somebody has been doing donuts on barbed wire or run through a meat tenderizer, chewed up. Rocks the size of english peas are cutting / puncturing these tires. Is anybody else having the same tire issue?

- Dodson, LA, USA