2.8

wheels / hubs problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jan 032011

F-150 8-cyl

Vibration at highway speeds.

- Nixa, MO, USA

Jan 032011

F-150

Shaft assembly part #8L32-3B676-B on 2004 Ford F-150 needed to be replaced. Mechanic told me there was a technical service bulletin (tsb). Steering wheel would stick badly especially at low speed turns and intermittently at high speed turns, as well, causing two near accidents. Still having problems...one mechanic tells me it the tie rods that require replacing and another tells me lower steering shaft needs replacement.

- Victor, NY, USA

Aug 262010

F-150

Factory chrome plated wheels on 2004 Ford F150 rust prematurely causing loss of air and/or blowout. The design causes pooling of water that can not escape, causing the wheel to rust out prematurely.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Jul 152010

F-150

Driving 70mph when rear wheel came off. Thought lug bolts came lose (use to working on euro cars) so went to get tire about 300 yards down other side or road. Jack up truck, put tire back on, went around truck to borrow other wheels lug bolts, realized F-150 takes studs and nuts not bolts when I removed a nut not a bolt. Went back to look at the holes in the rotor that looked like they took bolts and now I realize that all six bolts are completely sheared off past the rotors! there are little nubs poking out of the hub. Not a fun day.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Mar 312009

F-150

Severe vibration while braking from above 40M/hr. Dealer had to replace both front rotors and machined both rear rotors for warping. Rotor wore off before the original braek pads. Dealer says its typical but I suspect poor quality as I am a careful driver.

- Coldwater, MI, USA

Dec 102008

F-150

On my 2004 F-150 super crew w/75000 miles I have had to replace front rotor 3 times because rotors are turning blue and wearing down prematurely causing bad braking, because bearings are failing and causing wobble and overheating rotors taking temper out of rotors, I have been to dealers and they say can't find problem and must be excessive braking, (not) this model rotor has built in bearing and cost over $200 each. Now wheel is doing it again and looking at 4th set of rotors because wheel is wobbling( bearing failing again) some thing has to be done because other people are having same problem with front brakes on this model vehicle, did internet search, please let me know.

- Milford, CT, USA

Aug 072007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F150. The contact parked the vehicle after driving approximately 40 miles and noticed that the tire was almost flat. While he inflated the tire, he noticed air exited through a split in the rim. The dealer stated there would be nothing they could do for him. The current and failure mileages were 112,000. The consumer stated that this was the third rim purchased. Updated 09/05/07

- Scott City, KS, USA

Dec 152004

F-150

While driving highway speeds, the left front wheel came off the vehicle. The consumer managed to pull over and had the vehicle towed. The cause was not determined.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Apr 292004

F-150

Consumer questioned why the optional polished aluminum wheel he ordered were suddenly removed from the option list and replaced with steel wheels.

- Kenosha, WI, USA