8.2

1. replace window regulator (299 reports)
  3. fixed it myself so I don't have to be ripped off by Ford (24 reports)
  4. replace window regulator with 2006 and newer regulator (16 reports)
  5. replace elevator cable (15 reports)
  6. Ford paid for most of the fix (10 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 20 of 31)

Mar 152009

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

Bought vehicle new, this was the first window problem i've had. I was just driving along about 35 mph and out of nowhere the drivers window fell down, i think this may be trouble if you were in heavy fast traffic.

I bought an extended warranty (5yrs or 75,000 miles) when I bought the truck, so the repair was covered with the exception of the $50.00 deductible. the dealer had it for 2 days so it presented a small problem. I really think that ford should be fixing this as a recall, but guess there needs to be more complaints. With my warranty running out this summer, i don't think I will keep the f150 much after that and I'm not sure I want to get another Ford. I have had 4 ford pickups in a row, it's a shame they don't back their vehicles better.

- , Dowell, MD, USA

Nov 042008

F-150 Lariat XLT 5.7L V8

Well...its pretty pathetic that Ford is built so daggum tough! Yet, something as simple as the the flippin windows can't seem to stay up when they are supposed to. Pretty ( %&(^ inconvenient for a woman who just spent the morning getting her hair ready before work on the driver's side window decides to drop on the way to work on the coldest day of the year. And all Ford can say is sorry...pony up $400 and will fix it for ya. Guess you should've forked over the extra $1500 for an extended warranty and another $50 deductible and it would've saved ya huh? Not!

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA

Mar 302009

F-150 Lariat XLT 5.7L V8

Now I am really pissed off! Twice in less than 4 months. The same flippin problem. Only this time its on the opposite side rear passenger door where my 2yr old is sitting in her car seat when the window drops as we are going down the road. What makes matters worse...had this been on the highway with debris from another vehicle or semi-trailer I would have been absolutely livid. There were no bumps, accidents, speeding at time of incident. Weather was clear and sunny with a slight breeze. Time of day was 1100hrs about 60 degrees outside. This time I have reported it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Enough is enough. Ford service manager excuses are for the birds. Here is the NHTSA website to file an official complaint:

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA

Mar 142009

F-150 V8

Thought it was just our vehicle; obviously this has happened to numerous people as I can see on this site. Well, at least I know I am not the only one and I have found out approximately how much this will cost to repair. Ford should definitely do a recall for this problem.

- , Roseville, MI, USA

Mar 212009

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I wasn't even using window. It just fell in door when I was in my house.

- , Heber, UT, USA

Mar 202009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Driver's side fell in at 40K and now the passenger side at 49K, I never open the rear door windows so hopefully they'll become fused in the closed position. Ford has really dropped the ball on this one and it has cost them my business, I've owned 5 Fords in the last ten years but won't touch another with a 10 foot pole. Ford is full of bums that won't take responsibility for a design defect that causes these regulators to last less then half as long as they should. I urge everyone to learn how to do the repair yourself. The fix takes about an hour (after you've done it once maybe a couple the first time) and you'll save around $200, cut dealers out of an opportunity to gouge you.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Dec 032008

F-150

This is the last of the windows to go. So now I have had all 4 of my windows fall down and never roll back up. I at this point do not like FORD they really suck. If this happened to all of these other people why don't they admit there is a problem and fix it regardless of mileage.

Nov 172008

F-150

3rd window now to fall down into the door and not roll back up!

Nov 102008

F-150

I first had this problem with the driver side window in 2007. I just heard a loud pop the the window fell down into the door and would not rool back up. I took it in to Ford and they did fix it since it was still under warranty. Then in November 2008 all of the other 3 windows did the same thing within about 1 month. I called Ford and they said they would have to take a look to make sure it was not do to a rodent or something else. I asked them if it was not a rodent would it be covered by warranty and they said probably not. So it would cost be about $300 for each one. This is bull...... someone please hepl!

Mar 152009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

I bought this truck in July 2008 with less than 13,000 miles on it. I had a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado and it seemed to be falling apart. I thought it was a good time to get back into a Ford. When I bought it, the dealer led me and my father to believe that it had a full warranty but guess what....They LIED. I took it back to the dealer where I bought it and was told that it was a "powertrain only" warranty...The window regulator was bad and it would cost me $320 + Tennessee's exorbitant 9.25% sales tax. Not only that, but they didn't have a "loaner" so I would have to rent a car if I was going to leave it for repair. Since I had to be at work at 3:30pm, I didn't have much of an option. If the other regulators fail as the many complaints seem to show they will, I can assure you that a Ford garage will not be doing the repairs...and I will probably think long and hard before buying another Ford

- , Fairview, TN, USA

Mar 112009

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

This is incredible, I agree. Ford should have a fix for this on their dime. No way this many people can have this problem and not be a defect. I just closed my door normally last night just before heading into Home Depot and away she slid down into the drivers side door. Not the greatest drive to work in 17deg. weather this morning with the drivers side window all the way down. When I hit the switch to roll up or down, mine also makes the much described crunching sound. Right now I just have the window propped up with a piece of wood I cut to fit because I don't have money to throw around for basic problems that should never happen.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 112009

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I recently went to rent a movie and got more than I paid for. After returning to my truck, I closed to door after getting in to have the window slam down inside the door. The motor keeps making a grinding crackling noise but the window will not move. Talk about a real pain in the @$$. Not only will Ford probably rape me on repair fees but its supposed to rain tonight as well. Talk about a bad day. Ford really needs to step up and recall this problem, otherwise, I'm no longer going to be a loyal ford fan. Why by from a manufacturer that won't repair a window motor defect when Toyota is out there recalling broken frames.

- , Danville, PA, USA

Sep 102008

F-150 4.6L

ive had a problem with my window motors the cables have broke on both windows and i got my truck about 4 years ago im wondering if this should be normal. The passenger window is not used very much and it broke about 6 months after the drivers side. i was wondering if more people are having this problem and if there is a recall for it. Seems to me the plastic pully system is not working or the cables are really cheap. The first time i paid around 200 dollars for the whole pully system and a new motor even though the motor was working. ive never heard of the window falling down into the door when something is wrong. usually i hear the motor goes out but if thats the case then it would do it while using the window. im just very mad to see all these others that have this problem and how do we get a recall 2 happen.

- , Fullerton, CA, USA

Feb 142009

F-150 4.6L

well my second window has fallen making a loud bang luckily both times it has happened was after i stopped the car. This time happening on valentines day 2 pick up my girlfriend to take her out. It ruined my plans for the night and i spent it trying to get the window back up. by the time i got a piece of wood and some rags in there to hold the window up i didn't feel like doing anything knowing i would need to fix this and it is 200-500 dollars to fix. I was looking for recalls figuring there had to be one since this has happened to me twice i knew this wasn't a fluke knowing u shouldn't have to replace that every few years. I did a complaint with www.NHTSA.gov and i hope to hear good news soon but im sure i will have to pay for it again hopefully i get reimbursed if a recall happens.

- , Fullerton, CA, USA

Feb 072009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

I was in the process of backing up in order to turn around when I heard this loud noise which sounded like a board breaking. I thought my window as down but attempted to roll it up . The glass had fallen to the bottom of the door. The wind was blowin at 30 miles per hour so I found it very uncomfortable driving the 8 miles to our cabin. Our cabin is about 75 miles from our home and I had to drive this distance without a drivers side window. I wonder what my reaction would have been had this glass had fallen out with me driving 70 miles per hour with the wind very strong and a tempature of 45 degrees.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 052009

F-150 FX4 5.8L V8

What a pain...I roll the window down (drivers side ) because its finally warm out, and then I can't roll it back up...Had to drive home a half hour on the interstate...good thing it wasn't raining. I disassembled the door when I got home and I can see the broken aircraft cable up in there spinning around when I activate the window up button. Not sure I want to fix that one myself

- , Urbana, IA, USA

Sep 042008

F-150 4.5L

the right window fell in the door why driving, i had it fix the next day it cost me $445.42two months later the left drive side window will not roll up now. i,m waiting for spring to get it fix. the window will down if i play with the up/down button for awhile and it will roll back up easy at first and then it started taking longer to roll up and i don,t want it to get stuck in the down position. the part was only $189.00 and labor was 225.00 shop supplies $1700 and taxes $14.42. i,m going to try and fix the left window myself and pray i don,t mess it up

- , Macon, GA, USA

Feb 062009

F-150 4 Dr Super Cab 4x2 5.4L V8

This is the 2nd window that f*cked up on me! Both rear windows. The first time it was under warranty, but I had to pay $80 for labor. So after that the second 1 f*cked up 5 months later, but this time i had to pay $350.00. I'm starting to think that I should'a gotten a Toyota! lol

- , Buffalo, NY, USA

Feb 222009

F-150 Super Crew

This is the 3rd window that has dropped since I bought the vehicle new. This last time it happened while on vacation with my family at disney world (nice timing)........The first window to fall was driver side in 2007, I replaced the whole motor assembly. Installed myself, paid $150 for part. Both passenger windows have since fallen, but have not replaced motors. I have wood wedged inside each door holding windows up...........will be going to Ford dealer Monday to see what they say....I have no extended warranty.

- , McDonough, GA, USA

Feb 032009

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I will not by another ford product,due to the fact that do not stand behind there products.

i have a 2004 ford f150 and three of the power windows have failed do to the regulators.

the only place you can get them is from ford and they are 200 dolloars each.

- , Bartow, FL, USA