8.2

1. replace window regulator (299 reports)
  3. fixed it myself so I don't have to be ripped off by Ford (24 reports)
  4. replace window regulator with 2006 and newer regulator (16 reports)
  5. replace elevator cable (15 reports)
  6. Ford paid for most of the fix (10 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 28 of 31)

Jul 062008

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

I am taking my truck to the dealership this evening after work to leave it to be repaired for the second time in less than a month and they will have to give me a loaner. This is the fourth and I hope final window unit we have had to fix at our expense!

My husband has purchased Ford trucks exclusively since 1972 with the exception of a Toyota SR5. I have purchased 2 new Explorers and this is my 3rd F150 Super Crew. I am not happy that we have had to pay out of our own pockets to fix an obvious design flaw or defect. Not to mention I live 60 miles from the dealership and have to burn unnecessary gas to take the truck to them and go get it when it is fixed, when gas is nearly $4.00 a gallon!

There were 107 complaints I read and almost everyone of them had more than one window unit to fail!! FORD, I hope you read these because if we don't get some help we won't buy another Ford product. This is a major aggravation to me!!!

- , Sulphur Springs, TX, USA

Jun 292008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

This is the 3rd regulator to go. 1st the front driver's side, then the front passenger's side, now the rear passenger's side. And I probably rolled that window up and down a total of less than 10 times. And I was not using it when it broke. It just got tired and snapped. Parts are a POS and Ford knows it. This is my 3rd Ford truck--and my last.

- , Vail, AZ, USA

Jun 182008

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I see that there are many complaints about this same problem. Redlands Ford technician told me that it was going to cost $335.00 to have the regulator replaced. He never even looked at the truck window before he told me what was wrong. I guess it is a known very frequent problem with these truck windows. I wish Ford would make a complete vehicle without all of these small annoyances. I guess I now know why they only have a standard 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty. They know there product is not going to last.

- , Beaumont, CA, USA

Jun 172008

F-150

Well here's another one to add to the list! I was driving through a parking lot and heard a loud bang and my kids told me that the back driver's side window had just fallen in the door panel. This happened on Tues. 6/17 made appt. to have it fixed on wed. 6/18. Then on Fri. 6/20 I went to start the truck up in the evening and rolled the windows down and the driver side window fell and wouldn't roll up! Of course this happened at a time when the service department was already closed for the weekend! Two windows in less than 1 week! Not very happy right now with not being able to roll my window up in 110 degree weather!

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 042008

F-150 Fx4 Screw 5.4L

See previous post. This time right rear glass fell. Replaced it myself again. Takes about an hour the first time. 30 min after you have done one!

Feb 012008

F-150 Fx4 Screw 5.4L

First of what was to be three! Left rear glass fell. Bought a new regulator from ford. $130 for the rear ones. Fixed it myself. Several post on the net to tell you how. This is a very common problem.

Jun 102008

F-150 Fx4 Screw 5.4L

Well here is number three in a matter of months! This time the driver side glass fell. I ordered the part yet again and replaced it myself. The fronts are a little more work to get the door panel off but again you can find the steps in detail on the web. I ordered both front regulators and went ahead and did the pass side before it failed! $140 for one and $150 for the other, not sure why the pric diff. My dealer's parts guy gave me a deal on them for $121 each since I had bought 4 now!

Jun 132008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

I tried to roll the drivers side window up on my 2004 f150 and heard a loud click or pop, tried to roll it back down and it fell all the way down. I saw where so many people were having problems, so I figured I would throw in my two cents as well. Hopefully Ford will step up and do something about this before my next one goes out. I bought it used and don't know if any have fallen out before or not. I haven't investigated to see what the problem is yet.

- , Vidalia, GA, USA

Jun 182008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

This is the third window on this truck to break. The first two were replaced under warranty. The dealer says they rarely see problems of this nature. I suspect a cover-up.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 162008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

This is the 3rd window to break. The first was the driver's side front. Now, it was the driver's side rear, and within 2 weeks the passenger side rear broke too. Is there a recall in these pieces of crap?

- , Naples, FL, USA

Apr 092008

F-150 Lariet 5.4L V8

I lost my second window regulator and motor( the motor and regulator come as a kit at the ford dealer for approx $150.00) I've lost the passenger and the passenger rear in my pickup. It took me about two hours to replace each one. Both windows rolled down and would not roll back up. I asked the dealer if there was recall or fix for this problem. They told me they were not aware of a problem. Interesting to find so many complaints on autobeef. The new regulator/motor kits they sold me appear to be the same as the old ones I took out. I Hope they hold up.

- , Conifer, CO, USA

Jul 052007

F-150 V8

It all started with all windows making loud squeaky noises when rolling up or down. Then the driver's window wouldn't roll up any longer. This was followed by the left rear window, and shortly after, the passenger front window. The regulator motor for each window cost me $240 plus labor costs, and the warranty wouldn't cover it according to the local dealer. No more Fords for me, and I am spreading the word on what terrible vehicles these are.

- , Pago Pago, AS, American Samoa

Apr 012008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

This is the 3rd regulator failure I've had on this truck. A real problem for Ford trucks. They started failing at 45,000 miles. I've also had one switch go out.

- , Burien, WA, USA

May 292008

F-150 XLT 4.2L V8

Window #2 that has went out in the past year. This time it was the cable on the regulator that broke. The part cost $149 at Ford dealership and it took me a couple of hours to fix. I did ask the part salesman if there was ever going to be a solution to this from Ford and he told me that Ford does not see it as a significant problem.

A website that I found to help change the motor and regulator was very helpful. http://www.fordf150.net/articles/idx.php/0/019/article/How-To-Repair-the-Power-Window-Regulator--Motor.html

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 012008

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Rolled window down to cool off truck. 5 minutes later, when driving down the highway, the passenger window would not roll up. All I could hear was the cable getting mangled. Got home and pulled the door panel off and decided this job was somewhat complicated due to the fact that everything is riveted. I will take it in to the dealer and beg for a warranty coverage, but not holding my breath. 37,500 miles wouldn't you know it!

- , Panama City, FL, USA

May 232008

F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 5.4L

I guess I'll end up adding three more complaints since I just had my 4th window regulator failure. I had the first one fixed under warranty (front passenger). Then both of the rear windows failed within a month of each other. I took my truck in on 5/21/08 to have both of them fixed. I just got a nice $500+ bill for the repair of those. I picked up my truck today (5/23/08). Before I'd made it back to work, the front passenger window failed again.

- , El Dorado, AR, USA

Mar 262006

F-150 XLT 4.6L

I bought the truck in mid 2005. I went to roll the Driver's window down at about 7800 miles, the window motor labored hard then I heard a pop and the window went all the down. I called the dealership and set up an appointment. They advised the window motor and cable elevator would have to be replaced, it was covered under warranty. I had to wait 2 days for the parts but it was repaired.

- , Jonesboro, Arjkansas, USA

May 252008

F-150 XLT 4.6L

This is the second time for this type of complaint. This time it's the passenger side window. The wife and I were out last night, when she went to roll down the window there was a loud pop and the window went all the way down. It was raining when it happened, as luck would have it, we were only 2 miles from home and were able to get the truck under a cover so the interior did not get soaked. I'm figuring that an elevator cable broke again, but this time the warranty is out.

- , Jonesboro, Arjkansas, USA

May 252008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

This is the second window last year 2 days before a trip to the Colorado River the divers window popped and fell down. This time we are at the river and the passenger window falls down. 300 mile drive with the window down = major pain in the ass. Now I see this is a major problem with these vehicles. I have had this truck since it was new it is 4 years old with only 30k miles. These windows are a P.O.S.

- , Monrovia, CA, USA

May 202008

F-150 Laritat 5.4L

IT IS ABOUT 100 DEGREES OUTSIDE, GOT IN MY TRUCK ROLL DOWN WINDOW AND WHAM THERE WAS A POP THEN THE DRIVER WINDOW JUST FELL DOWN, LOOKS LIKE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH PROBLEM, I AM SEND A COPY OF THIS TO FORD, ALSO ALL OF THE COMPLAINTS.

- , Brownfield, TX, USA