1. replace window regulator (299 reports)
  3. fixed it myself so I don't have to be ripped off by Ford (24 reports)
  4. replace window regulator with 2006 and newer regulator (16 reports)
  5. replace elevator cable (15 reports)
  6. Ford paid for most of the fix (10 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 29 of 31)

Apr 142008

My drivers side rear window fell into the door last month. We took it to the Ford dealer to get fixed and the extended warranty we purchased just happened to not cover that problem (imagine that!) About 2 weeks after getting that fixed, which cost us $300, the passengers side front window did the same thing. I took the panel off and screwed a screw into the window guiding post to keep the window up until I was able to get that fixed. Just yesterday, the passengers side rear window fell into the door after crossing a railroad track. So now I have 2 windows that need to be fixed. OK, we paid for the 1st window thinking it was just a mechanical problem or something maybe my 3 year old messed with but after the 2nd and 3rd window...something is not right! There has to be some type of recall from Ford with all of these complaints. Any suggestions from anybody????

- , Quen Creek, AZ, USA

May 032008

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Was out fishing with kids when I went to roll down window it just fell and as I can see this is a recurring problem is there an answer for this dilemma !!!!

- , Parsons, KS, USA

Apr 282008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

I have a 2004 F-150 Supercrew 5.4. I have have the rear sliding window repaired twice, the front Drivers side, front passengers side, rear passengers side and now (April 27, 2008) the last window that had not been repaired is broke as well. 5 windows = 6 repairs. Something doesn't add up to me. I have called Ford Customer service and get the same crap every time. I would like to have FORD repair it at there cost. (40,000 miles).

- , Ingleside, TX, USA

Apr 242008

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Went out to my truck in a dark empty parking lot and my driver window was down. I thought someone had broke into my truck until I got in and realized that the window had just fallen for no apparent reason. Months before it fell there was a "glass scratching" noise that I brought up to the dealership but they said there was no problem! So now I am out of warranty and will have to pay hundreds of dollars for a problem that seems to be common on this truck.

- , Killen, AL, USA

Apr 102008

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I was sitting in my vehicle taking on my cell phone, I had the windows down a little for ventilation, and all of a sudden, the driver's window fell into the door, it scared the crap out me. I thought the window had broken or something, I tried to put it back up, but it would not go up. So, I put all the rest of the windows up. Because the dealership was already closed for the day, I called my brother and told him what had happened. I went to get my brother to put the window back into the upright position. He said the wiring harness looked as if it had exploded which goes to the window motor. I had been complaining to the Ford dealership about this window making a dragging sound while it was going up and down they told me they had checked it and found nothing wrong, but they had greased it as a courtesy. Well, I think they should pay to fix it since I have been complaining all this time, and they knew there was an ongoing problem, and they tried to cover it up. I called The Ford Customer Service center to see what hey would say, they told me to take the vehicle to the dealership to have it looked at, and then to call them back, but at this time they had no idea that there was a problem with the windows in these vehicles, and that if customers do not let them know they have no knowledge of problems. So, write to Ford with your complaints!!!!! It's not the money, it the principle. I will call the local news stations, and put this on T.V if I have to.

- , Mulberry, FL, USA

Apr 202008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Just to let you know the reason the regulator doesn't work is usually a plastic piece which has broken on my vehicle three times. Finally I refused to pay them to repair it since its happened three times. During my investigation found that the cable that slips into the the white plastic piece will break. Went to the dealership to buy the plastic piece and supposedly you cant just buy that piece. Which leads me to believe this is done intentionally. Most businesses that have continuous problems isolate them so that instead of servicing the whole entire structure they can just repair that problem. When they repair yours they probably take off the good pieces to repair other minor problems at the full cost. If Ford sends me a $10,000 rebate for the next vehicle I might consider buying another one. To find out what the trucks cost, do the regular maintenance, now repair problems that you know were left intentionally to add to there profits has left me contemplating that big Cooperations are in it to line there own pockets.

- , Winter Haven, FL, USA

Apr 162008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

PAIN IN THE ASS! I absolutely HATE this truck. When I got home today my window was up. I walked outside and noticed that my window was down. I turned the truck on and tried to roll it up thinking I may have forgot to roll it up. Definitely not the case! When I went to roll the window up it just sounds like broken glass! I will be SO ANGY if I have to replace one more thing on this truck. The fact that it only gets 12mpg is bad enough! I AM SELLING THIS TRUCK THIS WEEK! ABSOLUTELY FED UP WITH FORD!

- , Lititz, PA, USA

Apr 082008

F-150 FX SuperCrew 3.4L V8

I did some research and it appears its one of those bugs that should have been recalled but like all issues and their stock in the toilet it appears this is being ignored as well. It just happened to me today (04/08/08) and Now I'm searching to see if anyone else has had this same issue. Ype...many have.

How can something break that is rarely used, in this modern day of science and improved mechanical engineering it looks like some of you might be right and it was a defect intentional to stir additional compensation. Why can�t they make products to last? What happened to American quality, Ford Tuff?

- , Newbury Parl, CA, USA

Mar 232008

F-150 Super Crew 4.8L V8

This is the second time that this has happened. I didn't even think to look if others where having a problem when it happened the first time.

This could have been a real issue if someone had driven by and seen the window down over the holiday weekend. First time was the front drives window and this time it is the rear drivers side. I was not even in the car or even home when this one broke. I wonder how many people are like me in that they have had the issue but until it happens the second time they just think it was a normal issue.

This has to be a real issue and needs to be taken care of.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Mar 052008

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

Like many other F-150 owners, the window fell into the door (drivers) and I had a 3 hour drive on the interstate at 25 degrees. Inconvenient to say the least. Part was $163.00 through Ford and labor was $108.00 at my independent shop.

- , Winslow, AZ, USA

Mar 022008

F-150 XL 5.4L V8

This is the 3rd window regulator to go out on this truck. This time it's the left rear window. I have already had the two front regulators replaced. Thank god for the extended warranty.

- , Hermitage, TN, USA

Feb 242008

F-150 Triton 5.4L V8

This is the fourth time the window regulator motor goes bad. I was beginning to think that they are replacing the motors with junk. If ford is aware of this issue it should be a recall or replace for free. This is not a wear and tear issue. The window was rolled up and all of the sudden rolled down. This sucks. Each time I had to wait for Ford to replace the window regulator and charge me for it.

- , Baytown, TX, USA

Feb 212008

F-150 XLT 5.4L Triton

Sleeting, 26 degrees, wife and kids 15 mi. from home stopped to get them a drink at dairy queen.........The window went down 2" then a pop and it fell all the way to the bottom........(Glad I had my Carharts, coveralls to wrap up the kids, Now there's a company you can depend on to deliver a good product!) rid of my 99 F-150 XLT because of the severe door cracks (both doors) ..............and was assured all the door problems had been addressed with the newer style door on the 04........again FORD finds some MICKY MOUSE parts to put in these truck's .........Thanx , HENRY

- , Hartford, KY, USA

Feb 162008

F-150 XLT 4.6L

I can see that this is a problem that has occurred to other Ford owners. I am going to contact the local Ford dealership and see what they intend to do about this problem. I believe Ford does have a problem with the electric windows in the super and crew cab F150's. I will update later as to what I find out.

- , Anytown, IL, USA

Nov 142007

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Motor, cables and guides needed to be replaced. Ford doesn't fix on small part, the whole thing needs to be replaced. No cause given, just failed one night. Woke up in the morning to open windshield on drivers side. engine still worked but they charged me for full replacement. Did they even replace the windshield motor? I should have asked for the broken part.

- , Beaumont, CA, USA

Jan 302008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

This is the second window to go out. The driver's window made an awful sound and the window dropped. I rigged the back passenger window to stay up by taking the door panel off. Now I have to pay to replace two broken power windows. Ford needs to recall this problem!

- , Fallbrook, CA, USA

Jan 032008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Well, looks like I am joining the club. This is the second time in 1 1/2 years.

Yes, $800 down the drain. For the so called truck of the year 2004 F-150 Lariat.

This is an issue Ford must address. I am seriously getting tired of this.

I am going to trade this truck in. Maybe I will just start supporting the Japanese.

- , Perkasie, PA, USA

Aug 122007

F-150 Fx4x4 5.4L

It started with all windows rolling up slow. I could play with the buttons & they finally would up.Then all of a sudden all in 1 day all 4 never rolled up again. All in about 1 week time. Lucky I have a 1993 nissan pick-up with 156,024 miles for reliable transportation.

This definately seems like a heat issue seeing how all the complaints are from warm climate. No wonder Ford is going broke & selling Jaguar & Landrover for a 2 billion dollar lost. Somebody has to pay, may as well be the loyal customer.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 012007

F-150 Supercrew

Well, considering everyone here has the same problem, going in to details won't really help much. Two regulators broke before 40,000 miles and it sucks and there is nothing I can do. I can't afford to fix them, so we took the door panel off and rigged them to stay up. Good thing they put in a good A/C unit because summers reach well over 100 degrees around here. Hopefully someone can figure out how to get this part recalled...I've already sent as much information as possible to my local news station sin hopes of ruining Fords already horrible reputation.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 152007

F-150 Super Crew Lariat V8

I can not believe I am back here again. We were driving to town and we hear a loud sound like someone hitting the side of the truck and then it happened again, the passenger side window started going down. The was at seven o'clock at night and it was forty degrees outside. I am so not happy with this.

Ford you better do something about it. It's not like I have four hundred dollars to part with every couple of months. Now we are just waiting for the other two to go bad or should we just have them replaced at the same time to avoid not having the use of the truck for two days at a time. RECALL FOR THIS PROBLEM IS A MUST. At $400 a window FORD gets and additional $1,600 per truck, another way for FORD to make more money.

- , Alpine, CA, USA