8.2

1. replace window regulator (299 reports)
  3. fixed it myself so I don't have to be ripped off by Ford (24 reports)
  4. replace window regulator with 2006 and newer regulator (16 reports)
  5. replace elevator cable (15 reports)
  6. Ford paid for most of the fix (10 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 30 of 31)

Oct 112007

F-150 Super Crew Lariat V8

I was on the freeway when it sounded like someone shot and hit my truck. As I was driving the rear passenger window started going down. I tried to get it to go back up but my controls did not work. The window ended up all the way down in the door. This cost us $360.00 and we have not even reached 40000 miles yet.

Ford really needs to do something about this because the guys that fixed it said that he repairs this problem a lot.

- , Alpine, CA, USA

Dec 012007

F-150 XLT V8

The window failed 10 days after I put 400 bucks into getting the breaks fixed, ford does stand for Fix Or Repair Daily!

- , Lutz, FL, USA

Nov 262007

F-150 Crew Cab Lariat 5.4L

Once again my window is broken!! Today I got to work & as I exited the truck I heard a noise like someone hit the passenger side door with a baseball. I got back in the truck at lunch time. I rolled down the windows to let the heat out & he window dropped down in the door.

I know what it is because this just happened 6 months ago to the drivers side door. This is Bull Sh*t. I am going to the dealer tomorrow morning. I'm going to print out all the complaints from this web site. This problem needs to be added to the recall list.

- , Naples, FL, USA

May 012007

F-150 Crew Cab Lariat 5.4L

May of 2007 I rolled my drivers side front window down & half way down it just dropped down in the door. I could still hear the window motor when i pushed the button so, I tried to fix it myself. Once I got the door panel off I figured out that it was more then I was able to do. The window regulator has rivets that you need to drill out to remove it. The dealer only sells the regulator with the motor attached. I gave in, & had the dealer fix it!! $360.00 later I was back on the road.

- , Naples, FL, USA

Nov 162007

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

both rear window regulators have gone out in the last three months

- , Yc, CA, USA

Nov 072007

F-150 Lariet 5.4L

Well I'm back AGAIN for this same issue. Here is window # 3 for my crew cab. Luckily there are only 4 windows on the truck. The funny thing is I walked up to the parts counter and told them I had an 04 F-150 and asked THEN what I needed and all 3 of them said the window regulator BEFORE i even told them any issues. Yet Ford still refuses to acknowledge this as a recall item.

I learned from # 2 to keep a roll of packing tape in my truck at all time now to put the window back up to make it home.

- , Garland, TX, USA

Nov 012007

F-150 V8 5.2L

I got this damn problem in my 2004 F150. I think it is with my switch or something. Going done the freeway and role down the window to throw out a beer and the son of a bitch doesn't go back up. So i push the switch a thousand times real fast and it slowly goes back up. Also my passenger side door switch can roll the window down but not back up. I must use the driver control panel. Ford is a bunch of bastards for not recalling all of this. I have read everyone elses and now I telling my self not to roll down a window---ever.

- , Chubbuck, ID, USA

Oct 212007

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Well today it is raining and I get into my truck to head to church and once the keys were turned in the ignition the driver's side window comes down by itself and will not come back up!! All I get is a grinding noise when I try to raise the window! If anyone has any guidance as to getting the window back up until repairs can be done it wouod be greatly appreciated! My e-mail address is: coachbaer13@gmail.com

From what I have read here, several others have experienced this problem. This should be fixed by Ford if it is a defect with the window/motor!

- , Pinehurst, GA, USA

Oct 182007

F-150 XLT 4.2L V8

Went to roll up my back passenger window today and it made a noise and then dropped. I am concerned because now I feel like someone is going to take it as an open invitation to take everything including the truck, not to mention the cost of the repair. From what I see, this problem happens alot and of course it isnt covered by the warranty now. If the part is defective and they know it, Ford should definitely do a recall.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 142007

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

Passenger side door made a LOUD NOISE and window would no longer close. I took the door panel off to close the window an removed the window assembly. The regulator looked like a rats nest of LOOSE CABLES. I could see the CABLE and GROOVES on the regulator pulley where crushed. Definitely a design problem, not a worn out part problem. There has to be some kind of LEMON LAW or CONSUMER COMPLAINT available to us. These replacement parts don't seem to be available from auto parts stores, just the dealer. THAT SUCKS! Hope the drivers side window isn't getting ready to BREAK.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 082007

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

This is freaking unbelievable. This is the fourth and final window to break and wont roll up. Ford tells me it costs $302 dollars to fix for a $40 dollar part. I talked to Ford HQ and they tell me they can't do anything for me that it is my responsibility. It is a DEFECTIVE part obviously considering the amount of other people having the smame problem. I have always owned Ford vehicles but if they refuse to fix this problem I will seek legal action in small claims court as many times necessary and i will win. I suggest everyone else do the same, seeing how the service advisor at Ford told me that it IS a defective part. Also, if Ford doesn't do right by this problem, I hate to say it but they have just lost an extremely loyal customer (over 5 ford vehicles in the past 9 years).

- , Shreveport, LA, USA

Oct 032007

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

I am now on my second window to have this issue ... first was on 9/23/07 at 36,100 miles (just my luck) and now I've had my second window go out on 9/27 (just 4 days later ... right after I arrived home from the dealership fixing the first one.)

Symptoms are as follows - window works fine until one day your roll it up, notice a strange noise (probably doesn't go all the way up) and then the next time you touch the window, it drops down into the door and is gone forever.

Repair is to replace the motor/regulator (which i understand is one part) ... and hopefully they're using a new part when they're doing this???

- , Louisville, KY, USA

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Was sitting in my home office when all of a sudden my trucks' alarm starts sounding off. I look out the window and the truck is there, nobody around - my property is gated???? What the heck is up with that? So I go outside to check it and turn the alarm off and I noticed there was no window in my driver door. I never even use the windows, so I know I didn't open it when I last parked it. I'm looking for broken glass - don't see any - this is really weird!!! Get the key in the ignition to get power to the window switch, press it to go up and I heard this strange noise and no window comes up!

Get the flashlight and look into the window cavity and I see the window all in 1 piece. Try the switch a few more times, same noise, no window. Take off the inside door panel and can now see a cable sort of twisted and apparently broken. It's Saturday afternoon so I can't do anything with it. Got the window to go up manually by lifting from the bottom and put a small clamp on the rail to keep it from falling back down. Not sure if I still am in warranty or if they'll cover it - they sure should after reading about many people having the same problem - If they don't it'll be my last Ford!!!

- , Vista, CA, USA

Oct 012007

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

As I can see from a lot of people having the same problem; I have had all four of my window regulators fail. One after the other over a 13 month period. It started at 37,000 miles (conviently right after the warranty) and ended around 56,000 miles. I paid about $225 each from a window compnay because Ford was too high and refused to do anything. I have had 3 verbal and written conversations with Ford and am now speaking with a lawyer. It is a principal thing now. Everyone needs to complain, complain, complain: Ford, attorney general, consumer affairs, highway and transportation authority (they issue recalls). If enough compalin, they have to compensate. This is CLEARLY a defect!!! Sad because this is my fifth Ford truck, all over 100,000 miles and never a single mechanical problem!!!

- , Henderson, NV, USA

F-150 FX4 5.4L

We are MAD!!!!! We have had to replace the window mechanism on 1 window already, and just today.... another one went... Arg! The same thing happened with us as described in other posts. Went to roll down the window and heard a POP! Then the window rolled on down..... exposing us to the elements. REAL NICE. We are now living in NC, but, we had the truck in Texas for the majority of it's life. We are thinking this issue may be heat related?? This needs to be a problem FORD acknowledges and FIXES!

- , Denton, TX, USA

F-150 Supercrew V8

3rd Window to drop in 9 month period... just waiting on Number 4. The first one was still under warranty and they covered it but no such luck with the last two which have happened within a week of each other.

- , Sugar Land, TX, USA

Sep 242007

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

I have had 2 windows fall into my doors, my driver window and my rear pass. window, all with in 2 months of each other. I have talked to the dealership where I have gotten them fixed and they said that this is very common in the 2004-2005 f-150 model trucks, since Ford change the setup of the window regulator. So just an FYI if you have a f-150 that is a 04' or 05' be prepared to fix the window regulators, they cost around $400.00 plus tax, then around $100.00 to $200.00 for labor. I think that this is a thing that Ford fixed up to happen just to sell more parts and make more money. Email me if you need anymore information about this subject (use the Send Comment link)

- , Queen Creek, AZ, USA

F-150 Super Crew V8

Third window to break, window does not roll up.

F-150 Super Crew V8

second window broke, would not roll up

F-150 Super Crew V8

I have now had 3 windows in my truck replaced as a result of the lift cables being broken. The last time I was out of town on business and had to drive 500 miles in Texas heat to get home. Can't wait for the last window to break. A neighbor of mine has also had it happen to his truck. I can understand that this may happen but seems to be a design defect when three windows in one truck have gone out.