2005 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Mar 152016

F-150

Brake booster vacuum supply metal stand pipe ruptured. This was while driving. Loss of vacuum and loss of engine performance and brakes were sluggish. Have to push all way to floor.

- Columbus, MS, USA

Aug 152015

F-150

The brakes faded during a emergancy stop on the hiway. I was able to get stopped but the break peddel went clear to the floor.I could not pump up the peddel to make the breake work any better.

- Keokuk, IA, USA

Apr 102016

F-150

Fuse 14 controlling ABS module, dtr sensor, reverse lights, PCV heater, air conditioner compressor, cruise control deactivator switch and daytime headlights was repeatedly blowing. Truck was serviced by dealer on 3-23-16, replacing the A/C compressor. Replacing the A/C compressor did not resolve any issues. The truck was returned to the dealer on 4-6-16 for the same issue with the same fuse. The dealership replaced the fuse and performed diagnostic tests on the truck, then informing me that they could not diagnose or locate the short. The dealership informed me that I would have to drive the truck until the fuse started blowing more frequently. The first time the truck was driven after work was performed the cruise control was not functioning properly. The truck engine would surge as the truck went down the road with the cruise control on. The issue with the cruise control happened on 4-9-16. On the morning of 4-10-16 the truck was driven approximately 4 miles and parked in the drive of my home. After entering the house the alarm was heard sounding on the vehicle, at which time I stepped outside to find the truck on fire. The fire seemed to have started on the inside of the truck.

- Sylacauga, AL, USA

Jul 152015

F-150

I purchased my 2005 F150 with a 5.4L trinitron engine used in 2010. I completed all regular scheduled maintenance using the recommended products, most of it done in Ford dealerships. This 5.4L engine is a poor design and should be recalled. It has numerous problems. I had a safety inspection done at a Ford dealership and it passed even though it had a ticking sound in the engine and I had hesitation and loss of power. Replace spark plugs, I had already replaced the transmission at 98,000 miles! this engine is a piece of junk! Ford needs to stand behind its' "built Ford tough" trucks and make this right. I cant enjoy my truck!!!

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Dec 012014

F-150

Brake warning light is lit on the dashboard. There is nothing wrong with the brakes. I have read that there is a wiring problem which causes the brake light to stay on. Ford has recalled other F150 model years but not 2005 F150S.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Nov 122015

F-150

The warning light for brakes, on the dash, stays on all of the time.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Sep 112015

F-150

I was starting the truck to leave a wal-mart parking lot and my left foot which was on the brake went all the way to the floor of the truck. I had no brakes. It was fortunate that I was stopped and not on the road with other cars or going down a steep hill. I had the auto shop tow the truck to the shop. They fixed two brake lines. Complete brake failure should not happen.

- Moosup, CT, USA

Apr 192015

F-150

Upon starting my car that morning it backfired and white smoke exited from the exhaust which it has never done before. Once idling I put the truck in reverse with my foot on the brake and my truck rolled down the driveway. I had to depress my brakes with significant force to get it to stop. Upon checking the engine later there is no vacuum detected at the power brake assist. There is a recall on other Ford trucks of this year and model with the same issues that mine was exhibiting. Upon calling Ford they said that my VIN # was not associated with this recall. Go figure!

- Amelia, OH, USA

Nov 192014

F-150 8-cyl

The vehicle has a removable rubber cover on the brake pedal which can come off during braking causing one's foot to come off the pedal. This is what happened causing me to hit the car in front of me as I was coming to a stop.

- Canoga Park, CA, USA

Sep 042014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While stopping for a pedestrian, at a speed of approximately 10 mph, the rear passenger side rubber brake line separated from the steel brake line, resulting in the immediate loss of all brake fluid and the brake pedal going to the floor.the cause of this separation, was corrosion of the factory steel clamp, clamping the rubber hose to the steel brake line. Upon examination, it was found that two other clamps were in the same condition.I was able to completely remove one clamp, by rubbing it between my finger and thumb.these steel components are unsafe for use in states that use salt or brine on their roads.this was made worse by the fact that the reservoir used, is not split into two sections, allowing loss of all brake fluid for both front and rear brakes at the same time.

- Kittery, ME, USA

Jun 012014

F-150 8-cyl

On 6/01/2014 I was driving my truck when I started to approach an intersection to stop and when I pressed the brake pedal to stop and the truck the brakes would not activate. The brake pedal went all away to the floor, then I realized that either I would have to crash the truck into the wall of the bridge and possibly go over or crash the truck in to other vehicles. However this was a panicky situation in the last second before crashing the truck I applied the emergency brakes. After towing the truck to the garage I took few photos of the front brake line hoses and how close they are to the tire rims. One of those break lines were damage by rubbing against the tire rim. Other break lines photo is showing how close the break lines are to the tire rim. I am very disappointed that Ford would install or design the holding brackets that could possibly move close to the tire rim for the brake hoses that close to the tire rim. Also I stop over to a Ford dealer in reading pa why they would not address this problem when I have the truck inspected in October of 2013. The supervisor at the desk have no answer to my question. Then I check similar trucks the year was 2008 and the brake line was less than.250" from the tire rim. When I checked the 2014 E150 it looks that the brake lines location were redesign. So obviously somebody new about this problem however I was never notify about this problem, the bracket that hold the brake lines were never adjusted away from being that close to a tire rim at the inspection. I am disappointed that a government Agency would allow the break hoses to be installed about.250" from the tire rims or moving parts. I would like to be reimbursed for a towing and the repair of the truck.

- Reading, PA, USA

May 102006

F-150 8-cyl

Constant ticking noise from engine, sounds like a diesel engine, remains ticking the entire time./ when applying brakes either on a hard stop or rolling over traction in road, grinding feeling in pedal and noise and will not stop immediately.-----was told by dealership that the "ticking" was typical for Ford and the brakes was part of the antilock system, I do not think so.

- Cherry Valley, CA, USA

Jul 202012

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the driver started the vehicle and heard a popping noise. There was smoke seen rising from under the hood. The contact appeared on the scene to examine the vehicle and noticed that the power assist feature on the brakes was no longer functioning. The vehicle was then towed to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that various hoses for the braking system failed. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 08V208000 (service brakes, hydraulic:power assist:vacuum:hoses, lines/piping, and fittings). The manufacturer would not honor the recall a second time. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 95,173.

- Dayton, OH, USA