2005 Ford F-150 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 012007

F-150

When vehicle's engine is cold, and approximately 8 minutes into driving, vehicle will cut off while in motion & wrench light comes on. Vehicle then has to be guided to a stop with no power or can be shifted into neutral & restarted while still moving. Following vehicle restart engine light is on. Code indicates truck has been placed in "limp home mode". after about 2 weeks, engine light goes off. I was advised to replace the throttle body in Feb. 2010, however the throttle body had just been replaced in April 2007 when the vehicle was only 2 years old.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Nov 132012

F-150

My fuel control module shorted out which caused my PCM to be erased. It seems to be a common problem after researching it, but no recall has been issued. My pregnant wife was driving my truck and lost all power. This resulted in a near accident due to having no power steering and less brake control. If this is such a common problem with the placement of the control module why has this not been recalled. $1000 later I hope this doesn't happen again.

- North Chili, NY, USA

May 162012

F-150 8-cyl

The truck has been back to Ford many times for draining the battery. If it is parked for 2 to 3 days I would have to jump start it. The dealers could not find the problem and keep replacing the battery. After it was out of warranty paid out of my own pocket to find the problem still could not find. I have a video of the truck IN12/11 of the heater/defroster running after the truck was parked for 3 hours with no keys in the truck. On 5/16/2012 the truck was parked in my driveway and caught fire under the dash.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Mar 012012

F-150 8-cyl

Ford factory spark plug breaks within the head causing potential internal engine damage. An extremely common issue that has lead to the invention of a special tool used just because F the issue. Commonly reaching hundreds and even thousands of dollars to repair. Ford has changed their tsb from changing plugs at 100K miles to 60K miles. However by the time a issue was noticed many of us owners have over the 60K mile mark.

- Holiday, FL, USA

Feb 272012

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, a loud pop noise was heard and the vehicle erupted into flames. The vehicle caused extensive damage to a commercial building in which it was parked near. The police were contacted and a police report was filed. The fire department did not determine the cause of the fire. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 78,000. Updated 03/28/12 updated 03/30/12

- Ashboro, NC, USA

Feb 162012

F-150 8-cyl

My fuel pump module shorted out. It had become corroded. There was a melting of plastic parts in the module. I could smell the plastic burning before the unit failed. The truck was running fine and then suddenly died when the module failed. Fortunately, I was driving through a small town when this happened. If it would have happened on the highway it could have been a very dangerous situation. I feel Ford should be performing a recall on these modules. It's a very poor design. I also feel that the truck owners should be compensated for the repairs that have already been done.

- St. Clements On N0b 2m0, MI, USA

Oct 032011

F-150 8-cyl

I just bought this vechile with in the past 2 weeks and the window on the driver side, made a loud grinding sound.....then a loud bang as the window fell down in the door! I'm very lucky that I did not total my vechile as I was pulling into main traffic on a busy road that I live on! this was my dads old vechile and he had the same problem with the passenger side.....not to long ago! also have been doing some digging on this issue and I see that quite a few other people have been going throught the same problem as well! just making first few payments and boom!!!! there go's a bunch of money on a safety part that really needs fixed! Ford.........wake up and fix this issue already!!!

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Oct 082009

F-150 8-cyl

While driving our truck the driver side window slowly lowered itself and would not raise up. This was approximately 2 years ago. Yesterday, September 25, 2011 about 2pm, the passenger side window went down on its own and would not raise up. I turned off the hwy I was on and luckily avoided a wreck. Today Sept. 29, 2011, I called Ford Motor Company, told them about the window and the previous window being fixed, gave them my VIN#, name, telephone# and was told there are no recall's and they are not aware of any problems and cannot help us financially with this problem. I told them, I was filling a complaint with them and notifying you.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Jul 312011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The truck was not running. When the door was opened the flames, from the burning seat shot up and burnt the carpet and door panel, before it could be put out. The controls on the seat were completely melted. It still has a smell of an electrical fire.

- Alexandria, IN, USA

Aug 152011

F-150

Vehicle stalls out completely when coming to a stop and at highway speed. Vehicle goes into fail safe mode. Very hard to control vehicle. Vehicle can be restarted once put in park and shut off.

- Stillwater , MN, USA

Jan 272011

F-150 8-cyl

The truck had several crank-no start problems. It continued over a period of a few weeks. Vehicle finally got to the point it would not restart. It was a little hesitant at times when running and I was afraid it would die on me in traffic. We ran a diagnostic check on vehicle in beginning and retrieved code for the cam sensor. We replaced and it drove fine for one week. That's the point where it would not start. We had towed to dealership and upon their diagnosis has determined that the engine wire harness from the ficm to PCM and to the injectors had shorts in it. I have read on a previous recall # 05V270000, where the ficm wire had to be replaced. I am not sure if it is related, but the dealership has given us a price of $2600 to repair. I believe an engine wiring harness should be designed to last longer than 6 years.

- Cantonment, FL, USA

Feb 032011

F-150

While driving vehicle at any speed from 10 mph to 70 mph the truck will go into safe mode (limp-home mode) going down to 5 mph and losing all power steering. When diagnosed it is the throttle body control to me this is a safety issue what happens if I am driving 70 mph on the highway and it goes into safety mode and I lose all power steering. Does someone have to die before there is a recall on this"?" it will cost me around $1000 to fix per brondes Ford in toledo Ohio and I am told Ford has 2 or 3 vehicles a week come in for the same problem. To me this is not standard maintenance.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Dec 032010

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the engine fail safe light illuminated and the vehicle suddenly stopped on a railroad track. The contact stated that the failure alsmost caused a crash. The vehicle would not move although the engine was still running. The failure could not be diagnosed by the dealer. The failure mileage was approximately 46,000.

- Millers Creek, NC, USA

Nov 242010

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. While the contact was driving approximately 10 mph and attempting to slow down, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that updates needed to be made to the computer. The updates were made but the failure continued. The failure mileage was approximately 69,000.

- Boyne City, MI, USA

Aug 102009

F-150

"electronic throttle control" failure causes the engine to lose all power, power steering is inoperable and vehicle must be stopped, ignition turned off and on again before vehicle is able to proceed. This has happened on 4 occasions in the past year with no warning. This defect poses a seriously dangerous situation, especially at highway speeds, as the operator has no control over the vehicle until able to pull to the side, turn ignition off and then restart the engine. Ford service says they are unaware of this problem but, it is reported numerous times in forums on Ford vehicle safety as a $500-$600 repair. This doesn't seem like a normal wear & tear issue but rather a factory defect that Ford should address before someone is injured?

- Walkerton, IN, USA

Sep 012010

F-150 8-cyl

Driver side power window is having issues rolling up. Will roll down fine, but when I go to roll it up, gets stuck halfway through. I have to grab top of the window to force it back all the way up. I had this problem 2 years ago when truck was under warranty and dealer replaced free of charge. Now I'm already having the same issue only 2 years later- I read a ton of posts on the web and it looks like this is an ongoing problem with Ford and should be something that should be recalled. There are reports of windows shattering on the highway for being only rolled up halfway when the window would not roll up- also what if I get stuck in a bad part of town, like compton, ca and my window won't roll up?

- Henderson, NV, USA

Sep 012010

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

My 2005 Ford F150 pick-up drivers side window made a loud bang when I went to roll it up. I was driving when this happened and was very startled, almost hitting the car next to me. I looked for a website to fix it and found they have several issues with their electric windows. Add one more.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 182010

F-150

7 of 8 spark plugs broke off while changing out on my vehical this is crazy heard alot of complaints.

- Sulphur, LA, USA

Dec 282009

F-150

I have a 2005 Ford F150 truck. The end of December 2009 the driver's side window fell down. It started with the electric window button sticking and ended up all of a sudden falling down. The Ford mechanics said this is not unusual and could happen to all 4 windows. This is not a covered service for repair.

- Hudson, CO, USA

Jan 102010

F-150

I was driving @ 45mph when engine suddenly stalled out and lost all power, rpms, and power steering. Check engine lights came on, along with "check gauges" message. Pulled over, turned off truck, then started up and everything was fine again. This is the second time this has happened. Since everything is working again, it wont give a diagnostic code, so problem cannot be fixed. I have read alot online of this happening to others, but Ford seems oblivious to the fact. Some say it could be a throttle positioning sensor.

- Vestavia Hills, AL, USA