8.0

2. clean the throttle body under the butterfly (1 reports)
2005 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Dec 022013

F-150 XLT Lariat 5.4L Triton

Was driving down the highway at 65 mph when I looked down to notice the engine fail safe message flashing in the tachometer. Engine power was virtually non existent at this point. So here I am in tons of traffic with an 8000lb lead brick that I can barely steer off to the side of the road. I popped the hood to look inside the engine bay to see if anything had jarred loose or for any bad connections. Couldn't find one. So next I looked up the problem in my owners manual. It defines engine fail safe mode as, and this is straight from the owners manual.

"If the engine reaches a preset over-temperature condition, the engine will automatically switch to alternating cylinder operation. Each disabled cylinder acts as an air pump and cools the engine."

So I checked all my temperatures and this is what I got. Coolant 180 Degrees F, normal operating temp is 160-200 F Transmission 200 Degrees F, normal operating temp is 150-200 F Oil is 200 Degrees F, normal operating temp 180- 210 F

So everything checks out with normal operating temperatures, and this sh*t happens. Can't Figure out what caused it, 5000 miles ago, all plugs and fluids were replaced, All O2 sensors, MAF sensor, cleaned throttle body, Cleaned intake.

I limped it home on limited power, parked it and haven't touched it since.

This is a serious problem that needs to be fixed, because Ford knows about it and is too goddamn lazy to fix it.

- , Fort Collins, CO, USA

Nov 092011

F-150 5.4L

This is very dangerous, it just stalls when ever it feels like it and where ever, it a ford and it s___ks

some day maybe ford motor co will recall when it is too late when someone gets killed because there veh died in heavy cross traffic, or when passing another veh and theirs quit in the middle of passing and they could not get out of the of on coming traffic because there are not strong enough to turn the steering wheel, or they panic and do not know what to do

- , Manistique, Michigan, USA

Jun 012010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

I owned my 2005 Lariat 4x4 CC from new. Never had a problem until last year. The mileage was about 65000 when the Engine Failure Code appeared and the engine shut down. I replaced the mass air sensor and the TPS (throttle position sensor) and the problem was still there. I finally desided to change the throttle body myself but the replacement I was given was the wrong part. Because I needed the vehicle I had to put the original throttle body back on. I replaced the gasket and cleaned the original throttle body with carb cleaner. It was coated with a varnish like buildup under the butterfly. The problem went away now for the last 4 months. I don't know if this is the permenant fix but it will save you the $500 the shop will charge to replace the throttle body.....Good luck.

- , Perkasie, PA, USA

Jan 292010

F-150 F150 Lariat 5.4L

pain in the ass. had oil pressure sensor changed $240.00 and now did it again.

- , St.Clair, MI, USA