1. helicoil threads,new coil (10 reports)
  3. new motor (1 reports)
  4. remove/replace engine (1 reports)
  5. replaced head (1 reports)
2005 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

May 182015

F-150 4.6L V8

My wife was picking up the kiddos from school when the spark plug blew out. She pulled over and called me saying that it was making a ticking sound. Well, after a futile attempt to have her visually inspect the engine and relay what she heard and could see, we hung up on each other. I identified the issue when I got the truck home.

Note for young couples: educate your significant other on engine components and their function. I replaced the spark plug with a new one and was able to thread it in and tighten it. This lasted just under 2 days. My next attempt will be to install a helicoil or insert. I hope this lasts for awhile.

- , Aubrey, TX, USA

Jul 062013

F-150 XLT 5.4L

This should not be happening. I have read all over the internet about this problem and talked to many people in both dealerships and the general public that the same thing has happen to. Some multiple times.

- , Salisbury, NC, USA

Jul 032015

F-150 STX 4.6V8

This is the 2nd time!!!!!! All you hear is "oh well, that's what happens to Fords". NO!!! This is B.S.! UGH!!!

- , South Elgin, IL, USA

Aug 152013

F-150 STX 4.6L V8

This was the first time a plug ejected out engine. Ford knows the problem and will not fix! W.T.F.!

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 052015

F-150 STX 4.6L

Spark plug blew out putting a hole in the head. This has been a reoccurring problem, fixed once with a Helli Coil, now unfixable. Cannot find ANYONE that even wants to try to rebuild/replace head. Going to have to replace entire engine.

- , New Richmond, OH, USA

Mar 122014

F-150 STX 4.6L

Spark plug blew out and stripped threads. Placed Helli Coil and fixed, but only temporarily. Now plug shot back out and put hole in head.

- , New Richmond, OH, USA

Jan 152015

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

The plug that blew out was a stock plug. I have only owned this truck a little over a year so I haven't ever changed them. So I know it was not a tightening problem on my end. Completely ridiculous something like that can happen.

- , Friendsville, TN, USA

Jul 302014

F-150 STX 4x4 4.6L V8

I just got done putting new brakes on front axle and cleaned up back brakes. Took truck for test drive and spark plug blew out. Can't believe that it cost $585 to replace one plug and coil. This is the worst thing I have ever experienced. I just retired from Ford and am very upset that they don't think is should eligible for a recall. They are screwing the consumers with this issue. I asked my mechanic if I should replace all the plugs and he told me it will not stop this from happening again. I'm gonna trade by truck in but an seriously thinking of buying another brand.

- , North Olmsted, OH, USA

Apr 252012

F-150 5.4L

My truck is a 05 ford f-150 4+4 with 53,000 miles. The spark plug broke off and went down in the motor causing the motor to lock up. It cost me 6,400 dollars to fix it. Ford would not do anything to help me. It had the same plugs in it that came with the truck.I am 52 years old and this has hurt me very bad. I will never buy another ford of any kind. nor will any of my family or friends and I will tell everyone I see about this. I hope ford gives their CEO's a big raise this year. My family will not have a christmas Thanks To FORD.

- , Newcomb, TN, USA

Mar 202012

F-150 4.6L V8

I had just purchased this used truck and had put only 1700 miles on it, when the #3 spark plug blew out causing two gas explosions when I was 800 miles from home. It cost $981.98 towing and repair to a Ford garage. I had them install a spark plug insert instead of replacing the cylinder head at a cost of $3,900.00. Before the spark plug blew out I did smell gasoline around the engine a few times and I checked but found nothing.

I found that Ford does not cover this known problem out of warranty.

Ford recommendation is to replace the cylinder head. Ford has a service bulletin

TSB 07-21-2 to install a spark plug insert.

The spark plug blow out is a design defect by Ford of the aluminum cylinder head and should be covered by extended warranty especially since there is a potential of fire and explosion hazard. The owners manual states the spark plugs should be replaced at 100,000 miles. My spark plugs were OEM at only 79,000.

- , White Pigeon, MI, USA

May 112012

F-150 STX 4.6L

OK yes I'am back ,The girl from Colorado Springs,CO. Ok so 3 weeks ago I put a new transmission in my piece of s*t Ford f150 STX 4.6 4x4. Well now my truck is miss-firing. I"am so tired of putting money into this truck. FORD you need to get your s*t right with these trucks. We make the payments so why can't you not make the truck????????????????????????????????????????????????

- , coloradosprings, CO, USA

Feb 072013

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

After Internet search seems like the Triton 4.6 V8 of this model is notorious for blowing the plug.Should have been recalled and fixed.Plug blows and strips the cylinder.

- , Nederland, TX, USA

Oct 312011

F-150 Triton

coming home with my brother, had to tow my truck back

- , Norwalk, CA, USA

Mar 122010

F-150 Triton

Truck blew spark plug on my way to work with carpool. myself and friends late for work.

- , Norwalk, CA, USA

Nov 042011

F-150 XL 4.6L V8

never replaced spark plugs because ran great and fuel mileage was real good.Spark plugs should not come loose ,no matter how many miles .when they are installed at the factory.Ford should be responsible.

- , Flatonia, TX, USA

Jul 032008

Over a period of 20,000 miles I had to replace the right head not once but twice- Since 50,000 mile mark I have shelled out in excess of $12,000 in repairs and I have the receipts from the local Ford dealer. Tongue in cheek, I sent a letter off to CR at Ford along with copies of the receipts requesting why I should ever again think of buying a new Ford. Last week I bought 2 new Toyotas.

Mar 012011

F-150 XLT 4.6L

one of many people with issues of plugs blowing. Destroyed the coil.

- , Bartonville, IL, USA