1.6

2005 Ford F-150 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jun 032016

F-150

While driving 75 on a toll road the engine went into engine fail safe mode, I lost all power and almost wrecked into oncoming traffic trying to get to the shoulder, I went to a mechanic and they replaced the throttle body, 3 days later same thing, I was told this is a common problem on this motor 5.4, why is there not a recall on this ??

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 302016

F-150

Truck began ticking very loudly, then began a knocking noise, and now the engine shakes the truck when idling. Cam phasers broke apart causing damage to the timing chain. Sudden loss of power to the engine as well as inability to maintain speed while ascending an incline is frequent. The loss of speed and power has caused us several close-call accidents. Truck will simply not accelerate while pressing the gas pedal. Additionally, it also feels like the truck cannot catch gears while in motion.

- Quantico, VA, USA

Mar 022016

F-150

Known issue with fuel injectors caused premature engine failure at 45K mi. Too much fuel when compressed and ignited blew the piston apart. Ford replaced engine. 80K miles later similar problems and recommendation is another engine. Two 5.4L engines with less than 130K overall miles is absolutely unacceptable. Web searches say there is current litigation in progress over these 5.4L engines. I'm making a formal complaint that the basis of the lawsuit has merit. Ford has already settled a suit over the spark plugs for these 5.4L but the problems with these engines goes much deeper. I'm thankful my engine failures happened without any additional incident.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Jul 152015

F-150

I purchased my 2005 F150 with a 5.4L trinitron engine used in 2010. I completed all regular scheduled maintenance using the recommended products, most of it done in Ford dealerships. This 5.4L engine is a poor design and should be recalled. It has numerous problems. I had a safety inspection done at a Ford dealership and it passed even though it had a ticking sound in the engine and I had hesitation and loss of power. Replace spark plugs, I had already replaced the transmission at 98,000 miles! this engine is a piece of junk! Ford needs to stand behind its' "built Ford tough" trucks and make this right. I cant enjoy my truck!!!

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Aug 052015

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that a strong fuel odor was present in the vehicle occasionally. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 124,000......updated 04/15/16

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 092015

F-150

I purchased my 2005 Ford F-150 right out of the show in 2005 and first began have jerking issues 6 month later a mechanic then told me that it was related to the fuel injectors. Since that time I had to replace the transmission twice in 2008, a timing chain and bent rods in 2014 and currently another timing bent rods and debri from the oil pan. All caused from the initial faulty fuel injector issues continuing from less than one year after the original purchase in 2005. I've sent over $9500 in mechanic cost to date.

- Windermere, FL, USA

Apr 252015

F-150

I attempted to start my truck, it turned over but would not start. I had the truck towed to the local Ford dealership where I purchased it new, and found the cause of the no start condition to be the fuel pump driver module. (part number 5L3A-9D370-aa) I asked to have the part saved for my inspection. What I found was very disturbing. The aluminum case of the module was cracked in half and has a dime size hole eroded thru. By chance, one of my work associated who has a 2004 F150 had a flat tire this morning (just three days after my experience with this problem) and had the spare tire down. I looked underneath his truck and found his truck to have a module in as poor condition as the one I had replaced. I took a picture that I would be happy to forward. Two additional work associates with 2004 - 2005 F150's have experienced this same problem with their trucks, I have also read several online posts today of this very same problem. This is not an issue of normal wear of a part, this is a definite design flaw and safety issue. The module in question is mounted above the spare tire on the drivers side rear axle. The tire is mounted for storage to the underside of the truck. The aluminum cover of the module is mounted against the steel axle and seems to act like a sacrificial anode as the module cover erodes and cracks to the point of near total destruction exposing a circuit board to the elements. It would seem this module would be placed in an area that would be less likely to destroyed by the elements or encapsulated or coated in a way that protect it. Any vehicle that can become subject to stall from a failed part is a safety concern and on this scale should be cause for recall consideration. The cost for this repair "parts and labor" at a dealership is approximately $400.

- Ludlow, MA, USA

Oct 062014

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to restart after being shut off. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The contact repaired the fuel pump drive module. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000.

- Elkton, MD, USA

Aug 152014

F-150 6-cyl

The vehicle began to smell like raw fuel, particularly at stop signs or intersections. The smell appeared to be coming from the engine bay. Upon disassembly of the intake components of the engine to expose the fuel injection system, it was evident that the fuel rail had begun leaking raw fuel inside the engine bay. The fuel rail developed a speck of corrosion about 2-3mm in diameter on the top surface of the rail. The corrosion evidently penetrated the entire rail and became a pinhole leak. Raw fuel was seen leaking up and out of the pinhole. This happened on the passenger side fuel rail, which is positioned inches away from the high voltage coil pack, and above the exhaust manifold as well. Called Ford customer service hotline and was told there is no recall for it, no extended warranty program, no assistance whatsoever. Ordered a new fuel rail through local Ford dealer for $500 dollars (4 times what a typical fuel rail costs); part has not been shipped, dealer unsure if Ford has any in stock or is even making the part. Truck has been inoperable for over a week with no way to fix it.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Aug 132013

F-150

Ok so we bought a Ford F150 2005 on Friday of last week which would be 08/09/2013. The man assured us this was a safe and reliable vehicle. So we start our trip across the country to look at a new house in eastern North Carolina. We stopped in Arizona to see my girlfriends mom. Sur enough the truck would not start the next day. We take it to a mechanic and he says its the fuel pump so he changes it out we drive it 2 blocks down the street back to her parents house turn off the truck load it up with our stuff and it will not start again. So the mechanic comes back over says ok it must be the fuel modulator. So he changes out the fuel modulator and sure enough it worked we drove it two blocks turned it off, reloaded the truck again. Again it would not start back up, apparently the new modulator killed the brand new fuel pump we just paid $500 for so now we have to get another fuel pump as well. I am not happy after doing research there is thousands of people having the same problem and if anything like us we now have paid nearly $1000 to fix a problem that could easily be changed by Ford mounting the fuel modulate under the hood near the engine like the rest of the modulators. Would you please look into this as soon as you can this is so uncalled for a lot of us work to hard for our money and our vehicles to have them break down with the same problem every time we stop. Included is a link to video where the guy explains the problem and all the people who have had the problem as well. www.youtube.com/watch?V=_2E9kmf1_kg.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Apr 272013

F-150 8-cyl

While driving at posted speed limit the engine quit running, as if the key had been turned off. This stopped all control of the power steering and hydraulic brake control. Traffic behind me was forced to stop quickly and avoid me. While trying to pull over I almost went into the ditch because of lack of steering control. When I took the vehicle to the Ford dealer the service mgr said this was a common problem where the fuel pump driver module corrodes and causes problems but that there was no recall on it. If I had not been an experienced driver this could have caused a horrible accident.

- Bryan, OH, USA

Feb 162013

F-150

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-150. The contact stated while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed the fuel pump driver module was corroded. The contact replaced the fuel pump driver module. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 69,950.

- Tarentum, PA, USA

Jan 022006

F-150

The coil packs and plugs have been changed on different times and the vehicle still has the same problems. Ford has to find a better solution to fix these ongoing issues so the customer does not have to keep paying all this money for the same problems over and over again. Engine lost power on several occasions and shakes when idling. Paint on front of vehicle started peeling off. All service work has been conducted a T a Ford dealership since the vehicle was purchased except for today with (2) more coil packs had to be installed at a local garage. This is apparently a big problem and something has to be done about it or Ford will find good customers going to other vehicle brands.

- Saxe, VA, USA

Jan 032013

F-150 6-cyl

Would not start broke down had to tow rusted fuel pump module.

- New Middletown , OH, USA

Nov 132012

F-150

My fuel control module shorted out which caused my PCM to be erased. It seems to be a common problem after researching it, but no recall has been issued. My pregnant wife was driving my truck and lost all power. This resulted in a near accident due to having no power steering and less brake control. If this is such a common problem with the placement of the control module why has this not been recalled. $1000 later I hope this doesn't happen again.

- North Chili, NY, USA