9.4

$2,523.00

1. new transmission needed (17 reports)
  2. complete transmission rebuild (9 reports)
  3. rebuild transmission (5 reports)
  5. replace transmission (1 reports)
2005 Ford F-150 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

2005 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 252012

F-150 V6

76k miles....really? this is my 2nd Ford vehicle and the THIRD transmission I've paid for....it'll be the last....unless my son's explorer craters. UGH. Everything was fine until yesterday AM on the way to work, and it just wouldn't shift into 2nd or 3rd gears....needs to be rebuilt. The shop owner said that he sends has a couple of F150's per month that need new/rebuilt transmissions. And from looking at this site, I guess I'm not the only one to have this problem....Hey, mine made it past the average (by 2k miles). Sarcasm, humor, it's the only thing that gets me through!

- , Houston, TX, USA

Dec 292012

F-150 Exab 5.4L V8

WE HAVE OWNED FORD PRODUCTS OUR WHOLE LIFETIME OVER 10 TOTAL VEHICLES. MOSTLY TRUCKS. 29000 MILES AND COMPLETE TRANSMISSION FAILURE OF COURSE OUT OF WARRANTY. DEALER CANT HELP. AFTER READING ALL THE BAD BLOGS FORD KNOWS THIS WAS A POORLY ENGINEERED DRIVE TRAIN. TRUCK WAS BARELY RUN... GARAGE KEPT USED AS A SPARE VEHICLE. WELL MAINTAINED AND NEVER SAW HEAVY WORK. $3200 BILL RIGHT AFTER CHRISTMAS...OUCH!!

I HAVE A KID HEADING TO COLLEGE NEXT YEAR CANT AFFORD THIS KINDA OF CATASTROPHIC FAILURE ON A TRANSMISSION THAT SHOULD GO 100+K VERY DISAPPOINTED TO SAY THE LEAST..

FORD SPENDS A FORTUNE ADVERTISING TO CREATE A REPEAT FORD BUYER LIKE US...I AM HOPING THEY OFFER SOME REMEDY.. IF NOT THIS FORD FAMILY MIGHT JUST TRADE THEM ALL IN AND BUY A CHEVY.. OR A DODGE

- , Media, PA, USA

Sep 242012

F-150 LX 5.4L

50,000 MILES ON A TRUCK THAT GOES LESS THEN 20 MILES A DAY AND THE TRANSMISSION WENT. DEALERSHIP SAYS NOT THEIR PROBLEM ITS NOT UNDER WARRANTY. FORD ORIGINALLY TOLD ME THEY WOULD HELP BUT NOW THEY WONT BC NOT UNDER WARRANTY. WAS MADE AWARE THAT FORD OFFERS A GOODWILL REPAIR THROUGH DEALERSHIP BUT DEALERSHIP ISN'T WILLING TO HELP. AFTER READING ALL THESE COMPLAINTS HOW HAVE THEY NOT RECALLED THIS YET!!

- , Jefferson Valley, NY, USA

Apr 202012

F-150 STX 4.6L

Ok I HAVE HAD ONE PROBLEM AFTER ANOTHER WITH THIS TRUCK, WELL TODAY REALLY PISSED ME OFF WENT TO THE STORE AND ON MY WAY HOME THE TRUCK JUST COMPLETELY STOP BUT YOU COULD GO IN REVERSE AND I HAD TO DRIVE MY TRUCK HOME IN REVERSE. WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT THIS TRUCK IT HAD 18,000 MILES ON IT AND THE BACK BARRING ON THE TRANSMISSION WENT OUT. I AGREE THIS REALLY NEEDS TO BE A RECALL..

Update from May 4, 2012: So I took my truck to a transmission place here in Colorado Springs, Co and had my transmission fixed 2400.00 dollars later. Thanks Ford for building a truck with a F**k up transmission. Hopefully you all will start working on building better transmission for your trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , coloradosprings, Colorado, USA

Apr 212012

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

I bought my 2005 F150 new and have not driven it hard. I use 4X4 2 or 3 times each winter, don't tow or haul anything and now the transmission needs to be rebuilt. It hasn't gone completely yet, just jerks once in awhile, but the shop showed me the metal chunks and told me it would cost a minimum of $2000 to repair, if only needs soft parts. I would have thought these trucks would last more than 113000 miles before falling apart (transmission isn't the only problem). Have tried to find used tranny from low mileage wreck, but the wrecking yard said there aren't any available because so many people are buying them to fix this same problem.

- , Bothell, WA, USA

Mar 222012

F-150 XL 5.4L V8

My transmission gave out in Dallas and I had to limp the two hour drive home in what felt like third gear. I had done a transmission service at 75,000 and everything looked good. I don't tow trailers or live in a big city. It's all highway miles. I was pretty upset. The only good thing was dealer was able to get one quick so my truck was not down for very long.

- , Stephenville, TX, USA

Oct 142011

F-150 STX 4.6L

In October 2011 I started out for work, when I noticed my Transmission was downshifting from OD to Drive immediately after letting off gas even at 70 MPH. Went to work and lunch it was still doing the same. I bought a quart of Lucas Trans. conditioner. Immediately started slipping. After 30 miles the Trans Fault light came on. I brought it to my mechanic and he first replaced fluid and filter. He suggested if that didnt work it would need rebuilt. So thats what we did. When we picked up truck they test drove it and it SEEMED to be fine except it felt like the parking brake was on in 1st gear. On the next morning I left out for work within 30 miles it started slipping and the Trans Fault light was on again and the shifting was very erratic. I believe that the Ford Company needs to look into this as a recall. From what I have read on this website there are many many complaints about these same issues.

- , Four Oaks, NC - North Carolina, USA

Jun 032011

F-150 V8 5.4L

Tough Ford truck...bull. Transmission failure of a well-cared for, dealership maintained, low miles, used to tow a small boat several times a year, in sunny California with no extreme weather conditions. My loyalty to the Ford dealer was not even acknowledged so I took my truck to a family-owned transmission shop and was treated with more kindness and understanding than the dealer provided me. Ford Motor Credit had nothing to say except they were sorry and that I should save my receipts in case my truck is recalled due to a transmission failure issue in the future. It is unbelievable that a truck that is supposed to be tough....has a transmission failure at 57K miles!

- , Torrance, CA, USA

Aug 092011

F-150 STX 4.6L Triton V8

"TRANS FAULT"! I have read a lot about that simple phrase in the last 2 weeks. My transmission failed at 85,000 on my '05 F150 this month. Thankfully, I have a 100,000 mi extended warranty that took care of the repair for a $100 deductible. The dealer said my clutch failed. Total time out of my vehicle was ten days. The repair itself, took just a day and a half, but there is the usual red tape from a warranty company. I was told by the service manager that Ford is notified when there is a major mechanical issue of this sort. I will buy another F150, but not without a manufacturer extended warranty!

- , Flower Mound, TX, USA

Aug 022011

F-150

$ 2.00 snap ring broke in transmission causing excessive transmission damage and a $1300 repair bill. Sent Ford Motor Company an E-mail now I am waiting for a response .I bought this truck new in 2005 and was not told that this problem could arise at any time. I was told when I had the transmission repaired that Ford Motor Company was aware of this problem sine 2004. I guess we will see if Ford Motor Company will stand behind their product and at least refund part of the repair cost since it was a factory defect.

- , Jerseyville, IL, USA

May 092011

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

THERE SEEMS TO BE A PATTERN TO THE CATASTROPHIC FAILURE WITH THE FORD F150 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS. TODAY MY TRANSMISSION DIDN'T WANT TO GO TO LUNCH WITH ME AND THE REST OF THE TRUCK. FORTUNATELY I WAS LESS THAN TEN MILES FROM THE AUFFENBERG FORD DEALERSHIP I TAKE MY TRUCK TO FOR REGULAR MAINTENANCE. THE SERVICE MANAGER (GARY) IS A REAL GENTLEMAN AND GOT MY TRUCK INTO THE SERVICE ROTATION THEN ARRANGED A LIFT BACK TO MY HOUSE WHICH IS LESS THAN TEN MINUTES AWAY. LATER TODAY I GOT A CALL FROM THE DEALERSHIP WITH A DIAGNOSIS OF D.O.A. AND RECOMMENDATION FOR TRANSPLANT (NEW TRANSMISSION). I LIKE MANY OF THE OTHERS WHO HAVE HAD WHAT WOULD BE REASONABLY CONSIDERED A LESS THAN STELLAR MAJOR EQUIPMENT LIFE CYCLE CUT SHORT IN ITS PRIME CAN ONLY HOPE THAT MY AGE (50) AND VEHICLE MILEAGE (~50K) ARE BUT A RELATIVE COINCIDENCE. I AM CONFIDENT THAT GARY/AUFFENBERG FORD DEALERSHIP WILL RESOLVE THE IMMEDIATE TRANSPORTATION PROBLEM BEFORE ME AND GRATEFULLY DUE TO THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF OTHERS SHARED DIFFICULTIES WILL NOW SEEK GUIDANCE FROM FORD MANUFACTURING CORPORATION AS TO THE MOST AMICABLE PATH OF RESOLUTION TOWARD LONGTERM CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.

I'LL GIVE YOU THE "PAUL HARVEY" IN THE NEXT WEEK.

Update from Jul 18, 2011: FORD MOTOR COMPANY GENEROUSLY OFFERED $1,000 TOWARD THE REPLACEMENT OF THE TRANSMISSION. THE NEW TRANSMISSION COMES WITH A THREE YEAR WARRANTY. MY TOTAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE WAS APPROXIMATELY $2700. I AM GRATEFUL FOR THE PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PROVIDED BY GARY THE SERVICE MANAGER AT AUFFENBERG FORD AND HOPE THIS IS THE END OF MY EXPENSIVE REPAIR JOURNEY.

- , O'Fallon, IL, USA

Feb 132011

F-150 FX4 5.4V6

Driving to the Service Center for a routine service call when the truck stopped pulling. I was in the middle of the street and had no traction. Remind you that my truck only has 76000 miles. Put the truck into 4WD low in order for it to move and reach the dealer. No service lights or anything came on until I reached the dealer. Turned the engine off, restarted the engine and then tried to move the truck again. The dealer told me that the clutch exploded inside the transmission and that this never happens. Unfortunately my warranty ran out at 72000 miles. Cost of repair 2200 dollars.

Truck has been repaired and I still have hesitation on take off when I need to accelerate in a hurry. This has been a problem since I bought the truck new in 2005. I am the only owner.

Returning to the dealer today to diagnose the problem.

- , Kennesaw, GA, USA

Feb 032011

F-150

Unbelievable, transmission failure under 50,000 miles. The pathetic warranty is 3yrs 36,000. When I was getting bids for the transmission the Aamco had two others on the rack, a 06 with 57,000 and a 05 with 83,000 both the same transmission as me failed! A truck should be able to go at least 100,000 before there is a drivetrain failure, don't believe their ads.

- , San Clemente, CA, USA

Nov 222010

F-150

I am a Ford owner from way back, My first new car was a ford Falcon since then i have owned 3 F 350 ,s one Explorer and 3 F 150.s the first F350 had transmission and clutch problems but i counted that to the new Diesel market and it was standard shift.Other than that i never had any major problems and always drove all vehicles over 100,000 miles My current F 350 has aprox 150.000 miles and is still the Hoss it was new My current F 150 however has never had rough work only towed a light trailer with a 4 wheeler and maybe a 1000 pound roll of hay once in a while. In November I pulled into the fish market to buy shrimp for Thanksgiving and when i started to back up it clunked and hesitated but finally backed up enough to go forward and drive home( 20)

miles on the way the way home i could not disengage the OD and shortly thereafter the Transmission failure light came on . My local mechanic tells me this is a common problem with ford and it will cost #2600 to install a new one Needless to say i am not happy with Ford now .

- , Havana, Florida, USA

Nov 272010

F-150 STX 4.2v6

I currently own a 2005 Ford F150...in fact my last 2 trucks were fords....i guess i'll never learn. The first (a 2000 F150 STX) completely malfunctioned electronically, windows to wipers to stereo to sound....the second, a 2003 Explorer Sport found its own set of problems ( a few electric) but mostly, everything under the car went to sh*t. I took it in for an inspection at 30,000 miles to find it needed $3,000 to pass inspection (ball joints, tie rods, brake assembly and rear driveshaft)...needless to say I told them to keep it. Now, I own a 2005 F150 that, at 70,000 miles needs a completely rebuilt transmission (my parents owned an escape that went through 3 transmissions in 30,000 miles)...what are the chances ford will help me out at all with this? I have been a loyal customer until now, but this is ABSOLUTELY THE LAST FORD VEHICLE I BUY. I'm going foreign now.....american quality just ain't what it used to be.

- , Tonawanda, NY, USA

Oct 012010

F-150 XLT 4.6L

My 2005 F-150 XLT without warning ceased to accelerate over 15 mph. The engine tached up to 5 grams with minimal movement of the the vehicle. I purchased from the Ford Dealer, an Auto Trans Gear Position Sensor for $81.12; an Auto Speed Sensor for $44.28 and a Auto Trans Speed Sensor for $33.48. After changing all three parts, the problem remained the same. The Check Engine Light remains on and the O/D Turned Off light blinks.

My brother, also ownes the same truck with 45,000 miles on the engine and his truck has the same problem. He has placed his truck in Lamarque Ford of New Orleans care on several occassions and paid thousands, while being deprived of his transportation and they have never corrected the problem. I'm concerned.

Update from Nov 17, 2010: I took my truck to Cresent Ford Truck dealership. They told me that they could not diagnose the problem accurately because I changed the sensors and erased the trouble codes. The tech stated that the 1st and 2nd gears were burned up in my transmission and it needed to be changed at the cost of $2700.00 in order to fix the problem. He further stated that it would take 3 days to install the transmeission and update the PCM. I could not argue, so I left the truck with them. One week later,and a new remanufactured ford transmission later, my truck was still in the shop and still having the same problem. The service advisor explained that the truck was going to need a new PCM at the tune of $800.00, he further explained that the PCM caused the transmission to burn up. I allowed for them to change the PCM and two weeks later my truck was reportedly doing the same thing that It was doing when I sent to the dealership. They reported to me that it was an electrical short or problem. I called Ford Customer Service Center, who interned called Cresent Ford to speak with the service advisor. I requested a rental at the dealerships expence, and I was given a call for the first time in to weeks from the dealership who reported that they had fixed the problem and my vehicle was ready for pick up. The total cost of the whole affair was $3,500.24 to the dealership, $260.00 in tow bills, $220.00 to Sears for a hand held diagnostic computer, $236.87 to Ford dealerships for sensors, with a grand total of $4,220.00. The rediculas thing about the whole mess, is that I'm not sure if my transmission was actually burned up, they never had a transmission mechanic look at my truck.

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Nov 022010

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

I own a 2005 Ford F-150, of which I have never towed or hauled anything which would have put great strain on the transmission. 95% of all the driving I do is highway miles. I have replaced one set of tires and the brakes are original.

Driving to work this week, I stop at a light. I began to accelerate and the engine revs once I get past twenty. OK, I say to myself "did I accidentally knock it into neutral"?

No...I start off again and no power train.

I limp it to the dealership where it has been diagnosed as a full band failure and both second and third gear are gone. Required repair is a new remanufactured transmission at a cost of $3,200.00.

101,178 miles on a trans and it goes into total meltdown...really?

BTW the trans fluid was changed per manufacturer's recommendation in the owner's manual.

- , White Lake, MI, USA

Oct 012010

F-150 XL 4.6L

Tranny quit on Friday. Stopped at transmission shop and was told I was the tenth ford f150 tranny in two months. Snap ring problem that will cost 3500 to fix. The truck is treated well and serviced rgularly.

- , Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Jul 292010

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Bought this truck new in 2005. Never had any problems with it or the 1997 F150 I owned for 8 years and 180,000 miles. I came home from an errand and noticed a puddle of fluid under the truck. I looked down the street and there was a trail for a half mile leading up to my driveway. Checked the trans fluid level on the dipstick and it was empty. The bottom of the truck was completely drenched with tranny fluid. I had it towed to a tranny shop for inspection. They said the front seal had blown but they could not figure out why. So now they are tearing the whole thing apart to inspect and rebuild. The estimated repair will be about $2000.00. This truck is babied. I have been on Social Security disability for the last five years. The last three years I have only averaged 7500 miles each. I don't tow with this vehicle period. This is totally unacceptable. I will make a call to Ford knowing they won't do anything about this but at least to vent. VERY disappointing!

- , Riverview, Florida, USA

Dec 132009

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

While driving in a winter storm through tall snowdrifts on a back road,the truck loses power and becomes stuck. The O/D off light then comes on followed by TRANSMISSION FAILURE in the info screen.Truck is towed to dealer and must have a new tranny put in for $3800 CAD. After putting 15km on new transmission,it drops all its fluid on the driveway,and will not go into any gear.Towed back to dealer and awaiting more info.... I use a 05/09 Dodge Ram 1500 at work as a fleet vehicle and it has been abused/pushed WAY harder then this Ford ever was and has never had a transmission problem. Built Ford Tough?

- , Red Deer, Alberta, Canada