2006 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford F-150:

2006 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 062015

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. The contact was unable to shift the gear into drive or reverse, only neutral. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the clutches and bands needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,854. Updated 7/16/15 the consumer stated the tail shaft housing had a hairline fracture/crack with. The repairman believed the part was defective. There was no wear on the inside of the transmission, bearing or seals. Updated 08/04/15

- La Jose, PA, USA

Feb 022015

Ford's iwe solenoid has a tendency to malfunction due to a poor design. Tsb 06-8-15 was issued to replace these solenoids, but only if there was a problem and only if it was giving a problem. My vehicle was in storage for 5 years and after it was brought out and to NY, the water leaked on the solenoid due to the inadequate design, causing the iwe's to malfunction. I still don't know what exactly it did but driving the car down the road, it caused me to feel like I was driving over small speed bumps with the front drivers side tire. I'm afraid that if this failed at a high rate of speed it could cause the iwe to engage and possibly lock up one of the front tires.

- Hobart, NY, USA

Jan 012015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 25 mph, the transmission changed from two wheel drive to four wheel drive independently. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000. Updated 3/4/15 the consumer stated the cause of the failure was a faulty solenoid. Updated 10/15/2015

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jun 162014

F-150 8-cyl

My truck was not involved in an accident. I have 74,000 miles on my truck and the transmission is starting to slip. With this low mileage this should not be happening.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 032013

F-150 8-cyl

Went to back up and no reverse.

- Dunlow, WV, USA

Aug 062008

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle shifted out of gear while at a stop and then lunged forward. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the transmission had developed a planetary noise. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 24,000. The current mileage was 35,800.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Mar 152011

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph with the cruise control activated, the engine rpms increased and the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician advised the contact that the transmission would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Reedsville, PA, USA

Jul 112012

My 2006 Ford F150 has the positraction rear end. Its went out around 25000 to 30000 miles, while the truck was still under warranty and the dealer fixed it no charge. Now the truck has a little over 62000 miles and the rear end has gone out again. Almost exactly the same amount of miles on the rear end. Warranty was up at 60000 miles so its no longer covered. I think this should be looked into as a recall because this is the second time its happened on the same truck.

- Campbell, MN, USA

May 182012

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Transmission shift cable outer sheath was melted on exhaust system. Cable had unknowingly come loose of a retaining clip and was then allowed to contact hot exhaust manifold. Melted the outer plastic of shift cable causing the shift selector to become inoperable. Shift selector could be placed in park but transmission would not be in park; if I had not realized there was a problem I could have believed the transmission was in park when it was not and the truck could have rolled freely. Truck is a well maintained 2006 Ford F150 crew cab 4X4 with the column shifter.

- Florence, KY, USA

Mar 032012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, the vehicle drifted backward and crashed into another vehicle. The crash caused no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 96,000 and the current mileage was 96,500.

- Fort Gay, WV, USA

Feb 092012

F-150 8-cyl

The number 3 spark plug was blown out of the cylinder head. This is the second occurrence of the same spark plug. The first incident occurred on 10/21/2011 at 82781 miles. The first repair was completed by mike naughton Ford in Aurora co. The mechanic installed a sleeve into the cylinder head to reinstall a new spark plug. The mechanic explained that this is a known problem because the cylinder head only has 3-4 threads for the spark plug to screw into.

- Denver, CO, USA

Mar 122008

On 3 separate occasions when brakes were applied the vehicle actually sped-up and was only brought to a stop through heavy pressure to the brake pedal.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Aug 012011

• 6,000,055 miles
Transmission jumps in high gear when overdrive is active.

- Nacogdoches , TX, USA

Feb 182010

Spark plugs fail and engine stops. Plugs can't be replaced;long shaft seizes to head walls. Scheduled maintenance item for 100,000 miles.dangerous design of plugs for all Ford F-150 5.4 V-8 ; as loss of steering, brakes with engine failure.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 172010

I purchased a Ford F-150 in 2006. I am at my 100,000 maintenance and the spark plugs have to be changed. I spoke with a representative at the Ford repair shop who told me that I would have to bring my truck in 24 hours early to soak the plugs because they will break in the motor and I will have to pay to have them removed. I followed there instructions on Monday morning and took the truck to them. They called and informed me that they would have to take the head off my motor to remove the plugs at a considerable expense to me. It does not seem fair to me that if Ford mechanics put Ford plugs into there Ford trucks and when there Ford mechanics try to remove the Ford plugs from the Ford vehicle they break and I have to pay for the damages.

- Hernando, MS, USA

Feb 062010

While driving my 2006 Ford F150, the gear shift cable melted due to contact with the manifold. This cause the truck to stop. I could not start the truck again. This happened when I backed out of my driveway. The truck was taken to the Ford dealer by flatbed.

- Penn Hills, PA, USA

Nov 272009

F-150 4WD

Iwe solenoid fails to engage 4WD system. 1st failure during ice storm. Dealer replaced iwe. 2nd failure 6 mo's later, dealer replaced iwe added "bare bond tape" to cover over solenoid. 3rd/4th failure has occurred during rainy conditions or after I washed the truck. The 4WD would not engage until I had driven the vehicle over 5 miles. Vehicle back at dealer for same problem 3 times in less than 12 month period.

- Del City, OK, USA

May 272007

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. When the contact applied pressure to the brake pedal, he heard a loud scraping noise. While driving approximately 50 mph, he experienced unwarranted four wheel drive engagement, which caused the vehicle to decelerate. The dealer replaced the iwe solenoid and the actuator. Several days after the repair, the failure resurfaced and became progressively worse. He took the vehicle back to the dealer, but they were unsuccessful in locating the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was 21,000 and current mileage was 33,387.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Jul 052007

I drive a 2006 Ford F150. In July 2007 I started hearing a grinding noise coming from my front wheels. I brought it to holman Ford in turnersville New Jersey. They replaced auto 4WD vacuum solenoid. Now 15 months later the noise is back and they said their parts and labor warranty is only good for 12 months. I know other people who had the same problem but they said there is no recall. It is obvious there is a defect.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Jul 242008

I have a 06 Ford F150 that I parked then removed the keys 5 mins. Later hop in to start my truck I would no turn over. I had power the truck read that it was in park. Call Ford for road side at 39,000 I was told that I didn't have road side so my husband showed up he could see why it was doing this? until he pushed off the truck and it rolled back then it started called a dealer to make appointment they couldn't see the until 4 days later and it happen 2 more times and the dealer tells me I warranty and they still want to charge me $155 for to hour looking for the problem.

- Dingmans Ferry, PA, USA