2006 Ford F-150 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford F-150:

2006 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Dec 012005

Spark plugs on the 5.3 liter engine when replaced break--in return the book said pull engine and pull heads to replace spark plugs. The law suit filled Ford admits to bad decision on spark plugs and will reimburse some of the cost. The cost is very high--the book and Ford's shop said the engine needs to be pulled to pull the heads to replace the spark plugs. There was never any software updates, and now the vehicle requires them. The error in the cluster software recall was suppose to be repaired and I read from the experts all software should have been upgraded with the cluster error. There are 42 P.M. Ford and nhsta knew or knows about on my vehicle and nothing has been done, I am a 100% dav and my vehicle has been broken down. The 2006 harley davidson F-150 that cost so much with it's on board computer system does not work. I have read many complaints about the F-150 engine cutting out, I pulled out to pass on a two lane road and almost got killed when mine cut out so bad. A two cylinder would have done better than that V-8.

- Broaddus, TX, USA

Mar 192015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While in passing lane of three lane West bound route 3 engine shut down, had to negotiate two lanes of highway traffic to get to shoulder while coasting. Vehicle towed to repair shop. Fuel pump control module failure. Module corroded, holes thru back of module where it mounts to frame.

- Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

Mar 022015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2006 F-150 lost all power function while traveling down the interstate. I lost power steering and brakes. The cause is a corrosive fuel pump control module. After taking with my local Ford dealer I was made aware that this is major safety issue and one that fmc refuses to recognize. This incident could have resulted in a major accident. I was lucky enough to be able to signal to the cars around me that I was having trouble - however I was still almost rear ended twice before being able to pull off to the side of the road.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 052015

The engine bucks, misses and doesn't come up to speed. There is no advanced warning as when this will happen, thus making pulling out into traffic a hazard! the garage where I had the problem fixed was surprised to hear my description of my trouble. They had a F150 in the week before with the same issue!! this gentleman's truck actually shut off in traffic, so I consider myself lucky!

- Elizabethville, PA, USA

Jun 282014

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle restarted but the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the fuel pump control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Wallaceton, PA, USA

Dec 112014

Vehicle suddenly stalled while driving. Was able to coast to a stop and pulled over, but was stuck in a busy intersection for 15-20 minutes before the truck would restart. Was able to make it to a parking lot before it stalled again. Towed to a dealership was informed it was a corroded fuel control module. Doing a little research confirmed this is a very common problem and should be addressed as a potentially dangerous situation could easily occur.

- Sabattus, ME, USA

Oct 102014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Part #4L3Z 9D370 a (control unit) this is the fuel pump driver module on a 2006 Ford F150 that failed because the shell that holds the micro chips rusted out. This should be noted to Ford Motor Company because is a common problem in cold weather states. P.S. repair cost at Ford dealership $458.78.

- Whitmore Lake, MI, USA

Jun 022014

F-150 8-cyl

Upon attempting to start my 2006 Ford F150 super crew cab vehicle (5.4L), the engine will attempt to crank over but will not turn on. Upon further diagnosis, it was determined that the fuel pump module is not working. It became completely rusty and exhibits holes throughout the surface of the module. This appears to be an extremely common problem that Ford is very well aware of and has not addressed the problem. I think a civil class action lawsuit should help them with them make the right decision to repair the module at no cost to the consumer. This is an extremely frustrating issue that Ford has known about for several years. Upon speaking with Ford directly, I was advised that their has been recalls for that exact part but not for the 2006 Ford F150. Completely unacceptable and inexcusable. This will be my last Ford purchase. I've been a Ford man all my life. Not anymore....

- Meriden, CT, USA

Jul 202013

When driving home, check engine light started flashing, immediately stopped and had vehicle towed to a well reputable shop for diagnosis and repair. Was diagnosed with two fuel injectors failing and needing replaced along with all spark plugs needed replaced. 6 of the 8 plugs snapped in half and needed to be burrowed out on top of it costing $90 per plug drilling out. Total for repairs came to $2300. But after repairs were completed I still do not have a running vehicle. The engine starts but oil pressure drops after 5 mins of running. I would love to find a solution to this, if this is common or not. And if so, why is it not recalled?

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

Apr 252013

F-150 8-cyl

The vehicle was being driven at 35 mph and simply stopped running. Vehicle could not be re-started. Towed to repair shop. The mechanic tested the fuel system and determined the fuel pump had burned out. The fuel pump was replaced at a cost of $552.05. One day after repairs were completed the check engine warning light was activated and the code revealed a fuel system issue. The vehicle was immediately taken back to the same repair shop. The fuel pressure was operating at 90 psi. After several unsuccessful visits, it was eventually determined that the fuel pump control module was severely corroded and malfunctioning. The "pot" metal has been completely corroded and there is an approximate 1 inch diameter hole leading directly to the electric panel. The control module was replaced for an additional $399.89. The design of this module using "pot" metal and simply bolting to the steel axle is ridiculous. This item should be an immediate recall within the "salt belt" areas of North America. I have documented receipts from the repair shop and have kept the original fuel module as well. Ford Motor Company should recognize this issue as an obvious re-call item and be held responsible for associated repair bills.

- New London , MO, USA

May 022013

F-150 6-cyl

Driving East on I90 (about 20 miles West of stewartville, mn) during freak may blizzard. Due to road conditions, could only drive between 15-40 mph. Suddenly the engine stopped running. I was able to start it up again and drive about 3 minutes and then it would die again. There was no place to pull over, as the shoulders of the road were not cleared and there was 12" of wet heavy snow. My truck is not 4WD so we would have gotten stuck. We had to drive with the hazards on, but it was low visibility and we could easily have been hit from behind. We could not get off on the exit ramp because a semi truck jacknifed and the exit was closed. We had to continue this hazardous journey to the next exit, which was about 12 miles away, to stewartville, mn. We found a auto repair shop and described the problem. The mechanic suspected immediately that it was the fuel pump control module. He said that he has been installing a lot of these lately on F150S, especially 2006's. he said he felt there should be a recall, as it is well-known among mechanics that these are failing at an alarming rate. The problem is that the module is located tight against the frame, next to the spare tire, and the metal of the module (aluminum) reacts adversely with the steel metal of the frame, causing oxidation between the two. This causes the module to break and fail, thus shorting out the circuit board. Ford knows that this is a problem, as the replacement parts have spacer plates to keep the module & frame separated. Ford should issue a recall on this part before someone gets killed. We could easily have been killed, as we could not pull off the interstate. The part is relatively inexpensive (we paid $189 for the part). We should have been notified of this issue.

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA

Apr 212013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while reversing at 3 mph, the vehicle stalled and would not restart. An independent mechanic diagnosed the vehicle as having a faulty fuel pump and/or faulty fuel driver module. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 103,000.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Apr 172013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while traveling 44 mph, the vehicle shook violently then stalled. The vehicle was restarted and the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it confirmed that the fuel pump had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 111,600. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mt. Horeb, WI, USA

Apr 172013

I was warming the vehicle to go to work, my truck just suddenly stalled, had to get a tow to the nearest Ford dealer, the mechanic said the fuel pump module unit went out, the part is on back order or emergency order, I have no vehicle to get to work, I need my vehicle, this part should be on recall for Ford F150.

- Elgin , IL, USA

Mar 222013

Fuel pump module, enough said Ford. Time to make a recall. No recall but there's an update to mount it on studs...think there's an issue?

- Ottawa , NY, USA

Mar 122013

I recently purchased this vehicle used but the body was in great condition and it ran good on the test drive. After three days I noticed a fuel smell in the cab and when overtaking a vehicle it started miss fire. Fortunately the dealer I bought it from had me take it to the mechanic here in town who said that it was the number five ignition coil which he replaced. The next day the problem continued so I took it back and it was the spark plugs which he replaced (400.00) but it ran well. I drove it to pa. And back with no problem but yesterday the same problem happened and now it is coil number 2 (73.00). The mechanic who has been in business for 28 years in our farm town in which he services numerous Ford trucks said that this is a serious problem with Ford from the coils to the ill designed spark plugs. Now that I have read the numerous complaints which are synonymous with my problem including the fuel smell makes me wonder if the NHTSA is on the take from Ford to overlook certain problems. I think that I will use some of my well connected friends in congress to look into this if I do not get a satisfactory answer to this issue.

- Bladenboro, NC, USA

Jan 172011

2006 Ford F-150 harley davidson has coil misfire problem. All eight coils have been replaced in the last 24 months and three have been replaced twice. Cat converter has been replaced twice in the same time period. All plugs have been replaced. The car continues to misfire. As a result, the vehicle has an extremely strong odor of fuel resonating. The dealer states that they cannot do anything to find the root of the problem. This vehicle is dealer serviced.

- Warren, NJ, USA

Jan 272013

F-150 8-cyl

Truck keeps shutting off. If you wait 45 minutes to restart it will start and idle for about 15 seconds and slowly die. Or you can drive a short distance and it will die. Repair is for the fuel pump control module. Because of where it is mounted on the truck it corrodes very fast especially in snow states due to the salt on roadways. Ford can you please do a recall of this part and reimburse us for the cost!

- Mosinee, WI, USA

Dec 282012

F-150 8-cyl

2006 F-150 fuel control module should be a mandatory safety recall for Ford. The 2006 F-150 has a poorly designed fuel module that absolutely will fail over time in rust belt states, producing a loss of power, inability to start or a complete engine stall / loss of control at any speed, including highway speeds. My complaint starts after the first snowstorm this year. The truck was sluggish to accelerate on the highway and it seemed to need more gas pedal just to maintain speed. A few days later I drove up heavily salted roads to a ski area. At the end of the day, the truck would not start without the gas pedal being fully depressed. (first time I have ever had to use the gas pedal to start it.) I got it running for about 2 minutes, then it stalled out while still in park. It took several tries to restart it. I finally got it going again and it performed ok on the 60 mile home trip, some of that at interstate speeds. The next day the truck would not start at all. It would crank, but not turn over. The shop I took it to did the diagnosis and it turned out that it was not bad gas or a clogged fuel line. It was a faulty fuel control module located above the spare tire. This module is flawed not only in design but in placement as well. It is not weatherproof and not even the right type of metal to be exposed to salt, sand and water. It has dissimilar metal from the truss it mounts to, disintegrated over time and I also question Ford's supposed fix to the problem (spacers). it should be completely redesigned with years of rust belt element exposure in mind. You don't want to have an engine stall - ever. (I would have put it inside the cab or under the hood). Why is this not more important than a flawed headlamp?

- Burlington, VT, USA

Nov 062012

F-150 8-cyl

I was driving towards work when all the sudden the truck died. After safely pulling on the side of the road. The truck did not start at all. According to my family mechanic, it was the fuel pump. I paid 540 for the fix including the part from the Ford dealership. A few days later, the truck did not start on the morning going to work. My family mechanic came and did a few test and found out it was the fuel pump module. He then replaced such module. The module was rusted and it was falling apart. After he replace it with a new one, the truck started and is working properly. He charged me 300 including the part from the dealer.

- Rosemount, MN, USA