7.5

$3,014.00

2. only solution is to replace motor (12 reports)
  3. replace cam phasers (2 reports)
  4. replaced truck (1 reports)
  5. went to 10 40w oil got rid of sinth oil not as loud (1 reports)
2007 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford F-150:

2007 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 062014

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8 Triton

After the latest oil change, the engine started knocking / vibration at idle by the time I drove it home from the dealer.

The original dealer and another (second opinion) came up with similar causes: Wear in the engine and/or oil pump.

After a day and a half, the original dealer said the only fix was replace the engine. They suggested the oil pump but were not willing to change just the pump in fear of other problems that might surface.

Second dealer said it was excessive wear in the engine (i.e Cams and oil channels) causing the engine to lose oil pressure ... like it had run dry on oil once before (which never happened). They also said the engine needs replacement. They did however come up with a suggestion as a temp fix which would allow some time before it get's so bad it becomes un-drivable - Increase weight of oil to straight 30 weight.

Vibration and knocking went away for now with the heavier oil..

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 272014

F-150 4x4 5.4L Triton V8

Ford needs to fix their engine flaw of the 5.4 Triton v8. I have had the truck for about 4 months and its now shaking when at idle and when starting out there is a loud ticking noise. I just got done reading 50+ post of the same issues. Ford please fix your problem, not all of us can just buy a new truck or buy a new motor, not that i would buy a new motor just to encounter the same issues down the road! Ford please fix your issues. this is not right or fair!

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Oct 102013

F-150 SLT 4.6L V8

After replacing the head and coil pack it started knocking. I don't have the money to fix it. I think ford needs to get off their Butts and take responsibility for this. I'm working on getting something else and I hope and it will NOT BE A FORD. I own 2 and have had nothing but problems. Their motors are crap.

- , Leesville, LA, USA

Mar 122014

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Bought this truck used with 89,000 miles in mid Feb. The truck came with a 30 day warranty. It ran fine when I bought it or so I assumed. I travel a lot and when the weather was fairly cold the truck ran good, till the temps came up. After the engine is warm, and been running for awhile, when I stop then roll forward, it goes into this horrid shaking and missing. It sounds like the engine is coming out of the truck. Imagine you are stopped in traffic and moving slow, or backing out of a drive, You know when you let off the brake then give it just a little gas to move, then you stop? That's when my engine goes nuts. I shut it off, restart and it runs fine, till I do the "slow roll" again.

I am told the cam phasers use oil pressure to move and adjust the timing. The bearings are wearing on the motor thus decreasing the oil pressure. This in turn does not allow the cam phasers to readjust the timing at low oil pressures and it causes the timing to go to far advanced and causes the shaking. Eventually the engine will self destruct.

The temp fix is to spent $1800 to replace everything, but that's only temp and without getting into the engine, there is no idea how bad the motor is. The permanent fix is to replace the engine, but why would I want another one that's only going to last 100K miles?

So far the Chevy dealer is working with me to get me out of it and get a Silverado, but we will see how that plays out. At the moment we are a tad off at what they want to give me for the truck. They did look at it when I complained under warranty but said it was OK, but of course now we know it's not.

Update from May 9, 2014: How did I finally fix this? I traded the truck. Get out while you can. This is an engine replacement. THere are many so called "fixes" but they are only temporary. Without pulling the heads and measuring around the cam there is no way to know the damage to the motor. So you can either keep replacing timing chains and cam phasers or bail out, which is what I chose to do.

- , Canfield, OH, USA

Nov 062013

F-150 5.4triton

I would love to start a class action lawsuit but need others to get in on this. Ford will not help with this ticking problem and I don't have the extra money to fix it. I just bought this truck in June 2013

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 212012

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Started hearing a knocking noise, took to Ford Dealership, they said cam phasers and tensioners would fix problem, paid 1700.00 to fix, then picked up truck, drove 300 miles and it started making same noise. Took back, they started looking at it again, changed oil to 10w40, didn't fix, now they say engine needs replacing, and no refund of monies paid already.

If anyone has any info that could help please message.

- , Mcbain, MI, USA

Sep 072012

F-150 Fx 2 Sport 5.4L

pings like a cheap watch. ford says ok to go they all do that. mechanic gets me for $600 tells me it needs a fuel modular to stop the pinging. said it was not hitting on all 8 cylinders&it needs an oil pump change oil to 10/30 it will stop LMAOI added lucas oil stabilizer.

- , Simcoe, ONT, canada

Sep 102012

F-150 5.4L V8

I bought my 2007 Ford F-150 with 79000 miles, within 2 days there was a loud engine knocking. I called the dealership and they replaced the cam phasers. At 97,000 miles, the engine knocking returned to the point where the entire truck will shake and I fear the engine is going to fall onto the highway.

I had the truck tested at two dealerships and the conclusion is that the engine is shot, low compression, at 14, should be 25.

I am told that I am SOL and have been quoted $7000.00 for a new engine. I have owned Ford all my life and purchased them at the same dealership. They could give two sh*ts. I feel that the engine was shot when I bought it.

Would appreciate any feedback, at this point I am thinking of telling the bank to pick up this heap of crap.

Thanks.

- , Dover, MN, USA

Oct 012010

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8 Flex Fuel

Like everyone else who owns a Ford with the 5.4L V8 motor, the engine knocks/ticks and has been since I told the dealership. The dealership told me that the problem is inherent to all F150s with the 5.4L engine. I have even run into other customers at gas stations - oh, I see your truck has that same ticking noise. Well, now the engine has just over 82K miles, and I believe something is wrong, because the ticking noise is louder, the truck misses randomly and is noticeable going uphill. Not as noticeable during acceleration, more noticeable when I maintain a steady speed. It becomes worse when I reach speeds over 80 mph, the truck begins to shake the engine light comes on, and a code that states cylinder 8 misfire. I let off the accelerator, and then pump the gas a couple times, and the engine finally stabilizes and the engine light goes out. I had already replaced spark plugs and coils, so I replaced the number 8 spark plug, coil, and tested. Problem still occurs. I rechecked all spark plugs and injector, and all working. I don't get any other codes. Next step is to replace both VCTs (named = engine variable timing solenoids), and I’m also looking at replacing the entire exhaust system with new headers, Cats, pipes, muffler, and new O2 sensors. Well, if these don't fix the issues, I’m going to file a complaint with BBB and seek someone doing a class action lawsuit. I perform regular maintenance oil changes, etc.., as I'm a fanatic about keeping my vehicle in top notch condition.

I truly believe FORD is doing its best in literally keeping this common ticking problem "under the hood!" Wouldn’t you do the same, if it would likely cost you millions? Ford ownership/investors don't give a dam about you, only about seeing profits and taking 6 months out of the year vacationing. This, my fellow Americans is but only one of many reasons why America is going down the crapper due to greed!

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Apr 172013

F-150 FX2 Sport 5.4L V8

I started hearing a knock from the lower end of the engine, took the truck to the dealer for a diagnostic. He came back and told me that it is a common problem with 2007 Fords. He has done 9 of them in the last year with the same issue. The knock appears when the motor is warmed up, and only at idle. The dealer pulled the pan, and checked the bearings, only to come back and tell me that I would need to replace the entire motor. The total for this "Service" from FORD would be approximately $8,300.00, and would give me a new warranty on the new motor.

I am 22 years old, in the military, and just bought this truck from a dealer in Pensacola, Florida. The truck ran and drove correctly for 10 months. I spent $20K to drive this truck 20k miles... I can not afford to fix it, so now I own a truck that is of no use to me... and the dealer offered me $4500 for it... FORD SUCKS!! I was a first time owner, and will now be a last time owner... My dad owns Chevys that have been through 6 family members and still run great. Now I know why. He has never had an issue like this, except with his Diesel GMC's fuel injectors, which GM covered every dime of, even outside of the warranty. Because it was a known issue... and GM wanted to make things right. That truck has 200k on it, and runs great.

So will ford take care of this known problem of crank walk? If not, I am out of the FORD business, and following pop's advice of buying Chevy's. At least they stand behind their trucks... Every site I have been on says the same thing... FORD knows about it, told their dealers about in a TSB, and said... Not our problem... Thanks.

- , Pace, FL, USA

Mar 122013

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Had oil changed at the same place that I always do. then 2 days later I started hearing a pecking noise that sounds like a lifter or something but the only time i hear it is when i ease on the gas to pull off. so I check oil it's right where it's suppose to be, an now I feel like I've lost some power anyone have any what it would be or have any advice for me ??

- , Sumerco, WV, USA

Sep 172012

F-150 4x4 5.4L V8

I have a F150 and like my truck very much but all of a sudden it started to make a nasty noise that other people think I have a diesel fuel truck.I took my truck to different mechanics to give a diagnostics and they don't seem to know the problem they said it can be a lifter or even a piston going bad,others said I might need a new engine. I don't know what to really do if taking it to the dealership so they can tell me the same thing,I think this will be more likely a defect from the factory.

- , Cudahy, CA, USA

May 142010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L Triton

I got on the web to try to figure out why my 2007 F150 was making a ticking/rattling/ knocking noice in the engine, after taking it to the Ford dealership in my town. The Mechanic here said that thats normal for this year of truck, but charged me 365.00 to change the spark plugs, and oil and oil filter, they used the synthetic oil, and the proper filters, and said this should help, but to just drive it because, this is just the way this engine runs. I told him, well it didnt run like that when i paid the 42,000.00 for it. every sight i look on has so many complaints, with the same problem, im wondering if it is infact time for a class action suit. It seems like they want to blame it on, not doing proper oil changes, but thats clearly not the problem, if everyone has the exact same issue....what to do??? Mine started making the noice at 80,000 miles, it now has 131,000, and it is only getting worse..i owned a 2002, F150, and the lady that bought my old truck is still driving it, and it runs better than mine...should have saved my 42,000 bucks, and stayed with the older F-150!!!!

- , Dove Creek, CO, USA

May 012012

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Sent my truck in at 95K miles to have the knocking noise looked at a couple of months ago. Then I started getting heavy vibrations when the car hit 50mph or 2k rpms. Took it back to the Southern Ford Dealership in Manvel, TX to get a call back later that afternoon that the engine was shot, $5,500! I lost it! They told me I had to call Customer Service to see if they would be able to cover some of the cost or fully cover the repairs, which I did. Got a call back today from the dealership saying I was SOL. They are leaving no choice but to call up an attorney to weigh my options. Keep in mind this is the 11th Ford my wife and I have had since we have only owned Fords all our life (this trend is going to change). You thought they would have reconsidered given the "loyal" customer factor, but no. They should have done a recall seeing that this is a pervasive problem and no one seems to be holding them accountable. How do you explain replacing an engine with less than 100K miles, with regular service, and a truck that wasn't driven hard?

- , Manvel, TX, USA

May 302012

F-150 XLT 5.4L Triton Sohc

I brought the truck to a third dealership and they found the problem in 1 hour. The Cam phaser and the VTC solenoid needs to be replaced. After inspecting under the valve cover they found a lot of scoring on the camshaft and metal fragment in the engine due to the cam phaser acting up for the length of time it did. The outcome, the engine needs to be replaced estimate $7300-$8000. This issue has been looked at while still under the 5yr 60,000 mile warranty but because it was not properly diagnosed until after there is nothing FORD will do. THIS IS WRONG!!!

Feb 092012

F-150 XLT 5.4L Triton Sohc

Second time this happened in traffic, I brought it to a different dealership and they believe it was the throttle body for $900 but was not 100% that was the problem. I opted not to repair it.

May 202010

F-150 XLT 5.4L Triton Sohc

Brought the truck to the dealership after 2 months of purchasing. They said they test drove it and there was no problems.

Jul 192011

F-150 XLT 5.4L 3v

Starting at about 30,000 miles the truck would idle rough when at temperature randomly. Then at about 65,000 miles the truck started to idle rough all the time while at temperature. 2000 miles later, the CEL came on, and the truck died. Limped the truck to the dealership, and after a week I was told the cam phaser was bad, and the engine was blown. Refusing to believe this, I have changed almost every sensor in the thing, and while it has improved power, the end result is the same, everyone wonders how I fit a Cummings (Duramax, Powerstroke) engine into a f150.

- , Pineville, WV, USA

Jul 212011

F-150 Triton 5.4L

Where do I begin?? Approximately 3 months ago the truck started doing this 'jumping/bumping' action when riding down the road, I took advise from a Ford Mechanic and a transmission place and they said it was a spark plug problem, not a transmission problem. OK fine. This is at mileage 95-97,000. So I decide to do a transmission fluid change since it was time for that anyway. That didn't help anything. We then brought the truck to get the spark plugs changed and the fuel filter changed, crossing my fingers that the spark plugs would not break off in the motor like this certain year model tends to do. Well, the spark plug change was successful! But then a NEW PROBLEM occurred after that. It was a 'ticking' noise that sped up with the speed of the vehicle and slowed down with the vehicle. We brought it to the mechanics again and they kept it for 1 1/2 days and could not find a problem. They said BRING IT TO THE FORD SERVICE DEPT. So a day or 2 after that on my way to FORD, suddenly it sounded like someone threw a wrench in the motor. It was a horrible noise. Had to get it TOWED to FORD, 40 miles away and I got a call back 4 days later. The mechanic said (Drumroll please....) that we had to REPLACE THE ENGINE that there was no repairing to the engine!!!! WTF! Great now, we are having the engine replace with an engine with about the same amount of miles 100,000 cost of $3,500 or more.

When it is fixed, that motherf** is going to be FOR SALE*. Since when can't we get at least 200,000 miles out of a vehicle. Low quality or poor workmanship. Who knows? I don't think no one knows what the hell they are doing!

- , Mt. Hermon, LA, USA

Jul 132011

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

truck engine started rocking like it wanted to cut off while driving under 15 mph, if i accelarate problem smoothes out car will run fine until i slow down to an idle roll or stop then problem starts again. check engine light came on and was check gave three problems, cam sensors, cam retarder, and a miss fire. took it to the dealer was told it was the solenoids they replaced it, that was not the problem was then told it was the cam phasers, replaced that, not the problem was told the parts under the valve cover showed signs of where and scratches and shavings that came from what they say a lack of oil changes and i would need a new motor ,oil was changed every 3000 to 4000 thousand miles using correct wieght of 5w-20 fully synthetic with records to show, was then told it is not recommended to use a fully synthetic i should use a blend fully synthetic is to thin.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA