2. only solution is to replace motor (15 reports)
  3. replace cam phasers (3 reports)
  4. replaced truck (1 reports)
  5. went to 10 40w oil got rid of sinth oil not as loud (1 reports)
2007 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford F-150:

2007 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 232015

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

After 2 weeks of trouble shooting and plugs replaced along with cam phaser and cam sensors replaced, my truck felt like it was not getting gas. When I stopped, it shook like a wet dog. I have always been a Ford truck gal, but after all I have read about the problems with the cam phaser, and the fact that FORD won't do a recall, I think I will give up on FORD products. The shop that did the work sent a wrecker to pick it up this morning. Don't know what kind of money it will cost to trouble shoot from here.

- , El Dorado, AR, USA

Oct 082014

F-150 FX2 V8 Triton

• 5,800,000 miles

Summer of 2007 brand new 18 miles FX2 Ford F150, my first ever $33,600 dream truck. Approximately four months later, the transmission completely failed on highway. Scary, but dealer fixed no question. It took a couple of phone calls to have Ford pay for my rental car, thought they were kidding me for a second there.

Around fall of 2014 going up hill between 1 and 2 RPM I heard a big knock, almost resembles a sound of when driving over a small pot hole, same sound. It started happening every now and then and now it progresses to WTF is the engine about to fall off? Build Ford not-tough! Called Ford:

Me: described problem nice lady Ford: not our problem Me: is Ford built tough mean a 33,000 dollars truck with at that time 55,000 miles should only last about 5 years? Nice lady Ford: not our problem Me: can I talk to other person that could help? Nice lady Ford: not their problem either!!

So not cool Ford, if you going to charge that high price,you better produce some good trucks smart technicians/mechanics or let Toyota do it's job.

Nice lady Ford: you could wait and see if we have more complaints, we might recall

I should've followed my friends advice against anything Ford and went with Tacoma his still running like a horse 188,000 miles bought same year 2007. Mine with only 66,000 miles and a dead engine or something....

- , Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Aug 012012

F-150 4.6L

I bought this Ford F-150 used with very few miles (11,000) on it in 2009 and in 2012 the engine started to knock significantly. The truck had 50,000 miles on it. I took it the truck in to have it serviced and diagnosed and was told the engine needed to be replaced. The truck was still under warranty so I had it done and all was fine for a while.

- , Bonney Lake, WA, USA

May 012014

F-150 4x4 Supercab V8

Ford SUCKS!!!! They should be responsible for replacing the engine in our 2007 F150 with only 60,000 miles on it. They sold use a LEMON, they should pay for it.

- , Iron River, MI, USA

Apr 092014

F-150 5.4L

This vehicle was the first truck we have bought. My family has always been Ford Proud - but I cannot say that anymore. Truck started running badly, dying, stalling, shaking, and when engine started knocking we took it to mechanic. Mechanic had it for several days only to tell us it was the Cam Phasers - estimated repair cost was $4,000. Well you can imagine the surprise we had at such a high estimate but needed to have the truck repaired and sucked it up. They began the repairs and returned truck to us.

Truck ran ok for 3-4 days and began the same again. Took it back and they took everything apart again and said oil was not getting thru engine properly and phasers were bad. They again replace the phasers, oil lines, time solynoid, etc, etc and we went home again. This time it ran for a few weeks ok with an ever so slight knocking on start up. But we were so embarrassed when the truck started running like a dang diesel engine stopped at the light. If we gave it a punch of acceleration - it stopped for a bit but on next stop - it did it again. Took it back to the mechanic and they were at a loss.

They called Ford and they said they know there is a problem with this engine and year truck but refused to do anything about. They said to buy a new engine. Well we are not made of money - we just dropped $4000 - now another $5000???? Hell! We quit taking it back to mechanic as there was nothing else for them to do. So now we are stuck with this problem until we can afford an engine. But I tell you - If FORD is reading these complaints - I would be ashamed to say I even worked there. Ford used to be the number one car/truck company but I can tell by there NYSE price of stock - that they are dropping - which they deserve. FORD YOU NEED TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS! How dare you treat your loyal customers like this.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

May 022015

F-150 5.4L Triton

My truck makes a loud clingy noise after it has warmed up. Turn it off then back and the noise stops. Was told it was the cam phasers and it was throwing off the timing. I think Ford should do a recall.

- , Belleville, IL, USA

Oct 152009

F-150 5.4L Tritron

Ford is aware of this problem, but it is to their benefit to ignore it and use it as a testing situation for future engines at the customers expense.

- , Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Jul 012014

F-150 XLT 5.4L

2007 F150 Cam Phaser ticking sound under acceleration.

- , Glendora, CA, USA

Nov 102014

F-150 FX2 5.4L V8

I have the same problem with the thrust bearing . I took my 2007 F150 FX2 to the Ford dealer because of a valve tapping noise. They called me back to tell me I need a new engine. They said it was the thrust bearing. The vct P0012 n P0016 code came on. I told them this truck has 44495 miles on it. There is no way this truck should have this problem. They agree, but there is nothing they can do. I also found out my warranty expired, not that they will honor it anyway, warranties are a rip off.

Anyway, they gave me the 1 800 241 3673 number. Just as I thought. After complaining to them, the man said there is nothing that Ford can do because no one has complained about it. He said I was the only one that put in a complaint. So, no recalls is being made. To my understanding talking to this man, it seems like Ford knows about it and don't want to do anything about it. I paid a lot of money for this truck to consider it as a lost. I should of gotten another Chevy Silverado. I would have never had this problem. Chevy holds true to it's name. I have never had a problem with any Chevy I owed.

I thought I'd try a F150 and look what happens. I buy a new Ford truck and it turns out to be a Ford junk. Yes, I am pissed. I have a nice looking truck with engine failure and Ford looking for excuses to blame truck owners from what I have read from other F150 owners. I know what a thrust bearing is. These Ford techs want to talk to some people like they stupid. I have taking engines apart and rebuilt them and there is no reason why a thrust bearing should come out, especially at 44000 miles where the engine is not broken in. My other car has 147,000 miles and still running strong. My father's car has 188,000 miles and his car is running strong. I think there is something wrong with this picture of a F150 having engine failure at 44,000 miles. I thought I was a proud owner of a F150. I got syked. If I get a chance to get another truck it will be a CHEVY SILVERADO.

- , Pennsauken, NJ, USA

Sep 062014

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8 Triton

After the latest oil change, the engine started knocking / vibration at idle by the time I drove it home from the dealer.

The original dealer and another (second opinion) came up with similar causes: Wear in the engine and/or oil pump.

After a day and a half, the original dealer said the only fix was replace the engine. They suggested the oil pump but were not willing to change just the pump in fear of other problems that might surface.

Second dealer said it was excessive wear in the engine (i.e Cams and oil channels) causing the engine to lose oil pressure ... like it had run dry on oil once before (which never happened). They also said the engine needs replacement. They did however come up with a suggestion as a temp fix which would allow some time before it get's so bad it becomes un-drivable - Increase weight of oil to straight 30 weight.

Vibration and knocking went away for now with the heavier oil..

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 272014

F-150 4x4 5.4L Triton V8

Ford needs to fix their engine flaw of the 5.4 Triton v8. I have had the truck for about 4 months and its now shaking when at idle and when starting out there is a loud ticking noise. I just got done reading 50+ post of the same issues. Ford please fix your problem, not all of us can just buy a new truck or buy a new motor, not that i would buy a new motor just to encounter the same issues down the road! Ford please fix your issues. this is not right or fair!

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Oct 102013

F-150 SLT 4.6L V8

After replacing the head and coil pack it started knocking. I don't have the money to fix it. I think ford needs to get off their Butts and take responsibility for this. I'm working on getting something else and I hope and it will NOT BE A FORD. I own 2 and have had nothing but problems. Their motors are crap.

- , Leesville, LA, USA

Mar 122014

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Bought this truck used with 89,000 miles in mid Feb. The truck came with a 30 day warranty. It ran fine when I bought it or so I assumed. I travel a lot and when the weather was fairly cold the truck ran good, till the temps came up. After the engine is warm, and been running for awhile, when I stop then roll forward, it goes into this horrid shaking and missing. It sounds like the engine is coming out of the truck. Imagine you are stopped in traffic and moving slow, or backing out of a drive, You know when you let off the brake then give it just a little gas to move, then you stop? That's when my engine goes nuts. I shut it off, restart and it runs fine, till I do the "slow roll" again.

I am told the cam phasers use oil pressure to move and adjust the timing. The bearings are wearing on the motor thus decreasing the oil pressure. This in turn does not allow the cam phasers to readjust the timing at low oil pressures and it causes the timing to go to far advanced and causes the shaking. Eventually the engine will self destruct.

The temp fix is to spent $1800 to replace everything, but that's only temp and without getting into the engine, there is no idea how bad the motor is. The permanent fix is to replace the engine, but why would I want another one that's only going to last 100K miles?

So far the Chevy dealer is working with me to get me out of it and get a Silverado, but we will see how that plays out. At the moment we are a tad off at what they want to give me for the truck. They did look at it when I complained under warranty but said it was OK, but of course now we know it's not.

Update from May 9, 2014: How did I finally fix this? I traded the truck. Get out while you can. This is an engine replacement. THere are many so called "fixes" but they are only temporary. Without pulling the heads and measuring around the cam there is no way to know the damage to the motor. So you can either keep replacing timing chains and cam phasers or bail out, which is what I chose to do.

- , Canfield, OH, USA

Nov 062013

F-150 5.4triton

I would love to start a class action lawsuit but need others to get in on this. Ford will not help with this ticking problem and I don't have the extra money to fix it. I just bought this truck in June 2013

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 212012

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Started hearing a knocking noise, took to Ford Dealership, they said cam phasers and tensioners would fix problem, paid 1700.00 to fix, then picked up truck, drove 300 miles and it started making same noise. Took back, they started looking at it again, changed oil to 10w40, didn't fix, now they say engine needs replacing, and no refund of monies paid already.

If anyone has any info that could help please message.

- , Mcbain, MI, USA

Sep 072012

F-150 Fx 2 Sport 5.4L

pings like a cheap watch. ford says ok to go they all do that. mechanic gets me for $600 tells me it needs a fuel modular to stop the pinging. said it was not hitting on all 8 cylinders&it needs an oil pump change oil to 10/30 it will stop LMAOI added lucas oil stabilizer.

- , Simcoe, Ontario, canada

Sep 102012

F-150 5.4L V8

I bought my 2007 Ford F-150 with 79000 miles, within 2 days there was a loud engine knocking. I called the dealership and they replaced the cam phasers. At 97,000 miles, the engine knocking returned to the point where the entire truck will shake and I fear the engine is going to fall onto the highway.

I had the truck tested at two dealerships and the conclusion is that the engine is shot, low compression, at 14, should be 25.

I am told that I am SOL and have been quoted $7000.00 for a new engine. I have owned Ford all my life and purchased them at the same dealership. They could give two sh*ts. I feel that the engine was shot when I bought it.

Would appreciate any feedback, at this point I am thinking of telling the bank to pick up this heap of crap.

- , Dover, MN, USA

Oct 012010

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8 Flex Fuel

Like everyone else who owns a Ford with the 5.4L V8 motor, the engine knocks/ticks and has been since I told the dealership. The dealership told me that the problem is inherent to all F150s with the 5.4L engine. I have even run into other customers at gas stations - oh, I see your truck has that same ticking noise. Well, now the engine has just over 82K miles, and I believe something is wrong, because the ticking noise is louder, the truck misses randomly and is noticeable going uphill. Not as noticeable during acceleration, more noticeable when I maintain a steady speed. It becomes worse when I reach speeds over 80 mph, the truck begins to shake the engine light comes on, and a code that states cylinder 8 misfire. I let off the accelerator, and then pump the gas a couple times, and the engine finally stabilizes and the engine light goes out. I had already replaced spark plugs and coils, so I replaced the number 8 spark plug, coil, and tested. Problem still occurs. I rechecked all spark plugs and injector, and all working. I don't get any other codes. Next step is to replace both VCTs (named = engine variable timing solenoids), and I’m also looking at replacing the entire exhaust system with new headers, Cats, pipes, muffler, and new O2 sensors. Well, if these don't fix the issues, I’m going to file a complaint with BBB and seek someone doing a class action lawsuit. I perform regular maintenance oil changes, etc.., as I'm a fanatic about keeping my vehicle in top notch condition.

I truly believe FORD is doing its best in literally keeping this common ticking problem "under the hood!" Wouldn’t you do the same, if it would likely cost you millions? Ford ownership/investors don't give a dam about you, only about seeing profits and taking 6 months out of the year vacationing. This, my fellow Americans is but only one of many reasons why America is going down the crapper due to greed!

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Apr 172013

F-150 FX2 Sport 5.4L V8

I started hearing a knock from the lower end of the engine, took the truck to the dealer for a diagnostic. He came back and told me that it is a common problem with 2007 Fords. He has done 9 of them in the last year with the same issue. The knock appears when the motor is warmed up, and only at idle. The dealer pulled the pan, and checked the bearings, only to come back and tell me that I would need to replace the entire motor. The total for this "Service" from FORD would be approximately $8,300.00, and would give me a new warranty on the new motor.

I am 22 years old, in the military, and just bought this truck from a dealer in Pensacola, Florida. The truck ran and drove correctly for 10 months. I spent $20K to drive this truck 20k miles... I can not afford to fix it, so now I own a truck that is of no use to me... and the dealer offered me $4500 for it... FORD SUCKS!! I was a first time owner, and will now be a last time owner... My dad owns Chevys that have been through 6 family members and still run great. Now I know why. He has never had an issue like this, except with his Diesel GMC's fuel injectors, which GM covered every dime of, even outside of the warranty. Because it was a known issue... and GM wanted to make things right. That truck has 200k on it, and runs great.

So will ford take care of this known problem of crank walk? If not, I am out of the FORD business, and following pop's advice of buying Chevy's. At least they stand behind their trucks... Every site I have been on says the same thing... FORD knows about it, told their dealers about in a TSB, and said... Not our problem... Thanks.

- , Pace, FL, USA

Mar 122013

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Had oil changed at the same place that I always do. then 2 days later I started hearing a pecking noise that sounds like a lifter or something but the only time i hear it is when i ease on the gas to pull off. so I check oil it's right where it's suppose to be, an now I feel like I've lost some power anyone have any what it would be or have any advice for me ??

- , Sumerco, WV, USA