2009 Ford F-150 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford F-150:

2009 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jun 302010

F-150

Exterior door handle must be pulled several times before door opens. Delays entry into vehicle, both sides affected. No difference noticed with vehicle running or prior to starting. This has been happening for a long time.

- Greeneville, TN, USA

Dec 182014

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The contact stated that there was severe corrosion on the exterior of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the rocker panel needed to be replaced. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Racoon , KY, USA

Oct 012011

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle's floor was damp and there was an odor inside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was determined that water was seeping into the vehicle through the third brake light and collecting underneath the rear seat carpets. The dealer removed the rear brake light and replaced the seal and light. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 11V049000 (structure) however, the failure reoccurred two years after the repair. The contact mentioned that the driver interior door latch spring fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact also mentioned the fuel cap fractured. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage for all failures was 40,000.

- Montgomery, TX, USA

Apr 102014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

In April 2014 I noticed a vast amount of water collecting on the driver's side front floor. There was a leak coming from the sunroof down the headliner and through the post to the floor. I inspected the sunroof and found the drip pan to be wet. I poured a little water through the drain hose and it did not go through. I brought it to Ford for repair and was told that the drain hose was kinked and was like that from the factory. They cut the drain hose to the correct length and adjusted the sunroof. They advised me that the vehicles extended warranty did not cover it. I paid out of pocket $210. Fast forward to December 10, 2014, when I noticed water coming from the passenger side front assist handle. I went to Ford for service and mentioned this to the service tech and was told that everyone who has a sunroof was experiencing this due to the heavy rain. This morning December 17th, I noticed water in the same area coming from the handle. I checked the sunroof and did not find the pan to be wet. I called Ford and advised them, and they told me to bring it in December 22nd for another water test. They also advised me that this would not be covered under warranty, so I will again have to pay out of pocket. This truck has 19,000 miles on it and it can't be driven in rain. The sad part is that Ford knows about these problems and does nothing to fix them.

- Atkinson, NH, USA

Nov 262014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The rear passenger door (sometimes called the "suicide" door) on the Ford F150 extended cab truck refused to open. Upon researching the problem it was found to be an ongoing Ford problem since the 1990's. the child seats in the back would have been inaccessible in the case of an emergency. From the research it appears there have been many of these trucks affected. Thank you

- Pilesgrove, NJ, USA

Apr 092014

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. Th contact stated that upon inspection, it was advised that the motor was rusted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- Jewell Ridge, VA, USA

Dec 212013

F-150 8-cyl

Water leak at the passenger windshield post handle. Possibly from the satellite radio antenna on the roof.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 222013

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The contact stated that after disengaging the child lock, the rear passenger's side door failed to open from the interior and exterior of the vehicle. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Mar 152011

F-150 8-cyl

This started about spring of 2011. My truck had about 26,000 miles on it. I was driving in the rain when I heard a trickle of water in the back seat. I looked back and saw nothing. Later when I got to work I checked to see if I could find out what the trickle noise was. It turned out that the roof was leaking. In the back two corners of the cab water was coming in. Apparently, a hard rain causes the water to pool on the roof. The rubber gasket on the roof has apparently become brittle and is letting water in. I looked online for similar complaints and saw others, including leaks from the satellite antenna and the center brake light. Please help. My truck gets wet every time it rains and the wet, musty odor that follows is disgusting. I have also heard that Ford considers this a cosmetic issue much like door dings and scratches. Not fair!!!

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 142012

F-150 8-cyl

Dropped off vehicle with Ford dealership service adviser and proceeded to waiting area. Vehicle had a steady yellow engine light indicating service is required. Five minutes later, loud engine racing noise, tires squealing and crash impact sound from service bay area. Knowing it was my truck, I went out to the service bay to see it slammed through the far stone wall, about 75 feet from the service desk. Hydraulic fluid was all over the floor, outside and inside of the truck. Service adviser was stunned and crawled out of vehicle claiming it suddenly accelerated and he could not put the vehicle into neutral or park as the engine raced at full RPM. Service adviser was sent to hospital. Ford service manager was concerned and agreed to check engine codes, he talked like he'd seen this happen before. All service engineers were concerned about spontaneous acceleration they all witnessed as the truck miraculously barreled through the service bays without hitting any of the workers. Later in the day, I returned to check status and everyone at dealership changed their story. They will not tell me why the truck accelerated like it did, but will not admit there was human error either.

- Middleton, MA, USA

Jul 142012

F-150 8-cyl

While on vacation I was driving during a rain storm and my passenger noticed water coming from the plastic handle inside the cab. After further investigation I found water stains on the headliner on the front passenger side and in the rear of the cab at both corners. My bumper to bumper expired last month, I have been in contact with Ford and regardless of how long it has been leaking I was told that I have to pay for repairs. There are numerous complaints on the internet about the same problem. My major issue is the fact that the mold and mildew is a major health issue and now I have to wonder if mold spores is the cause of the respiratory problems I have been having. Ford needs to step up and correct this problem!!!

- Newark, DE, USA

Jul 102009

F-150

When adjusted according to the owners manual, head rests force the head towards the chin and are very uncomfortable. Dealer stated that this is the new safety design. Headrests are non adjustable. Also, they are very wide and, in conjunction with the frame post at the rear of the doors, create a blind spot on both sides of the pickup.

- Jenison, MI, USA