2009 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford F-150:

2009 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 102010

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F150. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle began to increase acceleration abnormally. After applying the brakes, there was a sudden reduction in the speed rate and the vehicle resumed as normal. The failure recurred on six different occasions. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was unavailable.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 212012

F-150 8-cyl

While merging onto the interstate I accelerated to 65-70 mph. Once on the interstate I let off of the accelerator but the truck continuted acceleration up to 90mph while holding at 4000 rpms. Brakes were applied to help control the vehicle speed while I shifted to neutral and pulled into the emergncy lane. Once stopped and in park vehicle continued to hold 4000 rpms. I shut the vehicle off then restarted and the rpms jumped to 4000 immediately. I shut off again left off for 15 minutes, pressed the accelerator a few times to make sure it wasn't sticking to anything (it was not) and restarted. At this time the vehicle appeared to work normally, drove on home. Took the truck to the dealer the following Monday, left it for them on Tuesday. They said there were no codes and could not replicate the issue and therefore nothing they could do. This is the ninth problem I have had to take the truck in to have fixed under the warranty.

- Paris, TN, USA

Jan 272012

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the floor mat was defective. The accelerator pedal stuck to the floor mat while driving at 45 mph. As a result, the vehicle accelerated out of control. The contact was able to avoid a crash and maneuvered the vehicle to the shoulder. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the floor mat was not replaced. The failure and current mileages were 48,000.

- Rison , AR, USA

Nov 162011

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 40 mph, the accelerator pedal dropped to the floor board abnormally. The contact placed the vehicle in neutral and shut the engine off. After restarting, the engine exhibited an extreme increase in rpms. The contact shut the engine back off and heard a popping sound from the accelerator pedal. The contact drove the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician stated that the floor mat may have become stuck to the accelerator pedal. The contact believed that the failure was not related to the floor mat. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Somers, CT, USA

Jun 032011

F-150

I experienced unintended acceleration while backing up. I had just started the engine and placed it in reverse and then tapped the accelerator lightly to start moving. The vehicle then started to accelerate rapidly backwards. Luckily my foot was off the accelerator for I was in a school parking lot and on a slight incline so I was riding the brake lightly. I had my right foot fully on the brake pedal and could barely keep it slowed. I placed the engine in neutral and the tach showed a steady 4000 RPM, again my foot was still off the accelerator. I then turned off the engine and restarted and all seem normal. I took it to the dealer and they could not duplicate or show any computer code errors.

- Moscow, ID, USA

May 022011

F-150

While driving 65 mph the truck accelerated to 95. I turned off the cruise control, thinking it could be stuck, even though I was not using it at the time, braked as hard as I could and got the truck to slow down and got off the interstate to a side road and finally got it stopped. I turned it off and restarted the truck. It immediately ran up to 5K rmp. I shut it back down and called a friends who is a mechanic. He told me to disconnect the negative side of the battery and let it sit a few minutes. Did this and it restarted and I got it home. Had it towed to the Ford dealer since it is still under warranty. The Ford dealer's service department cannot duplicate the problem; states that 4 people have driven it; they let it run for two hours and all diagnostics tests indicate all is well. Evidently there is an issue somewhere. I just pray I don't kill somebody or myself next time.

- Springfield, LA, USA

Jan 022011

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. While stopped with the brakes depressed, the vehicle abnormally accelerated resulting in a crash. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The contact also stated that when reversing, the rear view camera would not alert him that he was reversing into another vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but not repaired for the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000 and the current mileage was 37,000.

- Pearl, MS, USA

Jan 022011

F-150

While pulling away from a drive through window, I took my foot off the accelerator to put on the brake as I neared the stop sign at the intersection to enter main road. As this happened the truck accelerated suddenly and darted the truck and passengers into 2 lanes of traffic where they were hit by a van which in turn swung them into the opposite 2 lanes of traffic (so truck went through 4 lanes of traffic). Truck's airbags deployed on driver and passenger side (with driver seat bags too) and no injuries occurred. Truck is being fixed and will be taken to local Ford dealership afterward for evaluation.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Nov 302010

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The vehicle was stopped with the contact's foot on the brake pedal, when the vehicle independently accelerated and crashed into two other vehicles. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 25,000. Updated 02/01/11 the consumer stated prior to the accident, he experienced sudden acceleration on several other occasions. Updated 03/22/11

- Flostproof, FL, USA

Aug 042010

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F150. The contact was driving 65 mph when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact depressed the brakes and shifted into neutral. He was able to stop the acceleration and move the vehicle from the roadway. The vehicle was then towed to the dealer where they performed a diagnostic test but could not duplicate the failure. The contact stated that the failure was the second instance of unintended acceleration in the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 24,000.

- Petersburgh, MI, USA

May 232010

F-150

Driving a 2009 Ford F-150 I was just past the grain valley exit eastbound I-70 heading back to columbia. I was in the left hand lane and pressed the accelerator to get past a car in the right hand lane. When I took my foot off the gas, the rpms went way up, as if it were floored, and the truck tried to accelerate. While there was a car in front of me, luckily there wasn't one to my right. I stood on the brakes and swerved to the right. Standing on the brakes I was able to keep the speed between 60-70 mph, I threw on the emergency lights and pulled onto the shoulder. After maybe a hundred yards and throwing on the E-brake and hitting the brakes I was able to slowly bring the speed down at which point I turned the truck off. After waiting a while on the shoulder I turned the truck back on and everything seemed normal, I put the truck into drive and began to slowly press on the accelerator to get back on the highway. It was then that the RPM's again kicked way up and the truck began to try and take off. Luckily I wasn't going very fast and rode the brakes and turned the truck off. I then called a tow truck. There were no injuries. The extent of damage to the truck is unknown as it has not been taken to the dealer yet to get fixed.

- Rocheport, MO, USA

Mar 172010

F-150

2009 Ford F-150, 4.6L super crew. Pulled into driveway and stopped to allow passengers to disembark just outside of opened garage door. Once passengers entered house through door at front of garage, I removed my foot from the brake and pressed on accelerator to pull in. Vehicle suddenly surged forward and engine began to rev very high. Immediately pulled foot off accelerator pedal and pressed hard on brakes. Vehicle continued to surge forward and increase rpms. Unable to stop, vehicle slammed into front of garage wall. Airbags did not deploy, engine only stopped high revs and slowly returned to idle shortly after impact.

- West Kelowna, Bc Canada, 00, USA

Jan 012010

F-150

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F150. The contact was driving approximately 55 mph. When pressure was applied to the accelerator pedal there was no power response. The gear was shifted into neutral causing the engine to revv high. The contact was able to pull over to the side of the road and turned the engine off. The vehicle restarted to normal operation. The failure occurred on five separate occasions while traveling at any speed. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was 5,100. The current mileage was 5,200. Updated 11/16/10.

- Eire, PA, USA

Jan 022010

F-150

On January 2, 2010, in austin, Texas, I was accelerating in a 2009 Ford F-150 supercrew to enter a restricted access highway and the accelerator pedal became lodged on an aftermarket weathertech brand floor mat at fairly close to full throttle. Fortunately, there was no one in my lane directly in front of me. I was able to switch the vehicle off, shift to neutral and hold my lane position as I brought the truck to a stop. I dislodged the accelerator from the mat and then removed the mat. At that point, I restarted the vehicle and was able to continue my trip. I purchased the mats directly from weathertech on Dec 27,2008. Shortly after I received the mats, weathertech then sent me replacement mats for the driver and front passenger. There was no explanation for the replacement mats. Curious as to the reason and concerned that I was being charged again for mats, my wife called weathertech's service line. She was told that weathertech was not "satisfied with the fit" of the first set of mats that we received. There was certainly no indication that there was any safety issue with the original mats. I compared the new mats to the original ones and could see no substantial difference, so I did not replace them, and simply put the new mats in my garage, unused. After the Jan 2, 2010 event, I realized that there was indeed a change. A change that I now know to be very significant. The replacement mat has a "cut out? for the accelerator pedal to prevent the lower end of the pedal from hanging up on the mat. Obviously, I have now switched out the old mat for the new one. I certainly applaud the redesign. My concern is that I received no warning or indication from weathertech that replacing the driver"S mat was an urgent safety matter that could result in death or injury if not performed promptly. I notified weathertech of my concern in January 2010 and have received no response.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 062010

F-150

2009 Ford F-150 pickup truck 4.6 L EFI V8 engine accelorator sticks when brake applied. Has done this 6 times so far (once in reverse) and the truck only has 1480 miles. It does not matter if the engine is cold or warm. The truck continues to surge ahead even as I apply extreme brake pressure. I have taken this truck into the dealer where I purchased the truck. I left it with them several days. They say they cannot fix the problem unless they can replicate it. They returned the truck to me. The problem happened again, twice, today (6 February 2010)

- Starkville, MS, USA

Jan 032010

F-150

On sun Jan 3, 2009 at 7:20 a.M. I was driving to work in my Ford F-150 2009 4X4 pick up truck, when the pedal accelerated from 55 mph to 80 mph on its own. The pedal left my foot as if I had cruise control. I don't I attempted to get the vehicle to stop I could not. I doubled down on the brakes while pumping the gas pedal and eventually the gas pedal released. The day was clear weather conditions and the temp was very cold. I was driving on a one lane divided highway and I had a vehicle in front of me. I was terrified!! I took my vehicle back to the dealer prince frederick, md Ford dealership and left it for the day. The result: They were unable to duplicate the action come pick up your vehicle. So if I die my parents have it in writing that Ford was unable to duplicate the action. I felt great about this. My truck was purchased Nov 7, 2009 www.F150online.com/forums/2009-2010-F-150/395891-sticking-throttle.html you can visit the above link and see this is not a rare problem never heard of before as I was informed by my dealership. Good luck!

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Dec 312009

F-150

We drove a rental 2009 Ford F 150 from enterprise rental in boise, id (12-28-09 to 12-31-09)for a couple of days. On the 4th day, we had the accelerator stick several times. It would not stop at intersections, and we thought it was just icy roads (even though the roads only looked wet!) once was at an intersection where the cross traffic was going 50 mph and we almost got hit! later, the truck acted up when we tried to stop in a line of traffic at a stoplight. It was accelerating so fast, we put it in park and shut if off to avoid crashing into cars ahead of us. The rental company brought us another car. We told them about the problem (which disappeared when they drove the truck away). I'm afraid that they'll rent it out again to someone else thinking that the problem was us, and not the truck!

- Meridian, ID, USA

Oct 302009

F-150

While driving my 2009 Ford truck I left a stop sign rapidly and pressed the accelerator down firmly, it stuck to the floor. I depressed the brake as hard as I could hoping the pedal would come off the floor. Then I tried to shift the truck in neutral but the motor raced. A car was coming up behind me so I put in drive turned hard off the road with the wheels spinning and shut the key off in gear. I drove the truck home and parked it. I latter discovered that the accelerator was catching on the rubber floor mat that came with the vehicle. I lowered the power pedals to decrease the distance between the pedals but when I reenacted the event for a coworker the pedal stuck to the floor again.

- Kent, WA, USA

Nov 052009

F-150

While driving our new 2009 F150 truck with only 3,200 miles on it, I stopped at a stop light. The truck began to idle very fast and was lurching forward, when I took foot off brake the truck accelerated very fast to 80 - 90 mph. I could hardly slow the vehicle down by applying brakes as hard as possible. I was on a freeway and continued to put it into neutral which only slowed it down for a moment.cruise control was not on and there are no floor mats in the truck. I continued down the freeway for approx. 3 miles when I decided I had to exit freeway because I was gaining speed. I put it into neutral again to exit on a off ramp doing about 40 mph. The brakes were not doing anything to slow truck down at this point. I was headed for a very busy intersection and did not want to broadside another vehicle so I then decided to crash into a row of dumpsters at the end of a strip mall. As soon as I entered the mall parking lot I through it into park which locked the steering and I stopped just few feet in front of dumpsters. We had the truck towed to nearby Ford dealership. The dealer said that they can not replicate the problem and found nothing wrong with the truck. They want us to pick up truck and we refuse to drive the truck home.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 202009

F-150

While accelerating onto highway, the throttle stuck and kept accelerating the vehicle even after my foot was removed from gas pedal. I had to shift into neutral and the engine stayed at 4000rpm without pressing on the gas pedal. I brought the truck to a stop on the shoulder and shut it off. It worked fine on the way home. This vehicle is going to Ford in the morning!

- Davie, FL, USA