2009 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford F-150:

2009 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 312016

Accelerator pedal sticks, there is no rhyme or reason for this problem. This has happened on a few different occasions at different driving speeds. Last time this happened my two children were in the truck as the truck accelerated toward stopped traffic. Thankfully the accelerator let loose before we crashed into other vehicles.

- Fairport, NY, USA

Mar 082016

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle continued to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was not depressed. The brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle resumed acceleration. The contact was able to pull over to the side of the road with the brake pedal depressed and turned off the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,000. Updated 05/06/16

- Hopkinsville, KY, USA

Dec 292015

Vehicle was motion. Merging onto interstate 93. Depressed the accelerator to bring the vehicle to highway speed. When I took my foot off the accelerator, the pedal did not come back, but rather was stuck wide open. I was forced to pull into the breakdown lane, turn off the engine, put it in neutral and coast to a stop. After about 5 minutes, I restarted the truck and it was fine. This vehicle has the 4.6L 3-valve per cylinder V-8 engine with an automatic transmission. It does not have cruise control or any power options. I decided to file a complaint about this after reading over 100 reports of this same issue on the internet. The manufacturer denies there is a problem. Something needs to be done to correct this issue before someone gets killed because of it.

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Nov 192015

Traveling at 65 mph on the express way, I took my foot off the accelerator and the truck took off, accelerating as if it was being floored!. I hit the brake pedal but the engine still continued to rev itself and accelerate. I thought it might be a stuck floor mat but nothing was in the way. I hit the brake pedal again and popped the gear shifter into neutral. This stopped the engine from revving itself and accelerating. I took the vehicle into the dealership, and they claim to have never heard of anything like this and can't find anything wrong with the vehicle! thank god I did not smash into the vehicle that was in front of me.

- Windsor, OH, USA

Nov 062014

After accelerating to pass on the highway (65 mph to 70 mph), the truck remained going 70 mph when accelerator released. Vehicle could be slowed with difficulty by applying brakes, but would resume speed when brakes released. Fortunately, traffic was light. Cruise control was not being used at time of incident. Attempted to resolve issue for approximately 4 miles/minutes at highway speeds (determined accelerator not stuck on floor mat, engaged and disengaged cruise control, braked repeatedly while making sure I was also not hitting the accelerator). Eventually slowed vehicle to approximately 10 mph with extreme braking on an uphill incline, at which point vehicle would not slow any further. Took truck out of gear and shut off engine (vehicle stopped). Had towed to service department of Ford dealer who "could not reproduce problem" but replaced electric throttle body assembly and cleared/reprogrammed computer. When asked if incidents such as these are reported to Ford for their database, the service representative said no, that they had no means to do so.

- Knoxville, MD, USA

Aug 052014

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was stuck intermittently while traveling approximately 70 mph on a major highway with the cruise control engaged. The contact disengaged the cruise control and the failure occurred intermittently. The contact had to drive onto the emergency lane, shift into neutral gear and applied force to the brake pedal; however, the vehicle surged forward while the brake pedal was applied. The contact had to turn the vehicle off and restart it in order to reset the computer. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer several times and they were unable to replicate or diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 14,676.

- Ruther Glen, VA, USA

Apr 122014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Approaching an yellow light at approximately 35 mph I hit the gas pedal hard for passing gear. The accelerator stuck, the engine roaring, I had to step as hard as possible to stop the truck so I would not hit the vehicle in front of me. Engine would not stop accelerating forcing me to turn off the truck. Shocked, I sat in traffic for a moment before I restarted the engine, but it immediately went to full speed again, forcing me to again turn off the engine. My friend climbed out and pushed me out of traffic. After sitting in a parking lot for about 5 minutes I again started the engine and it started normally.

- Allen Park, MI, USA

Mar 062014

F-150 8-cyl

Accelerating on interstate on ramp to merge into traffic. Accelerator stuck and vehicle speed increased. Had to heavily apply brakes to stop, put in neutral, engine continued to rev, shut truck off. About a minute after stopping, a loud pop was heard in cab (accelerator unsticking??). turned truck on, normal acceleration followed. This was the first and only occurrence.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Jul 202013

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While driving 60 mph, I left off the accelerator to slow down to 45 mph the posted speed limit ahead. At 45 mph, I slightly touched the accelerator to maintain the 45 mph speed limit, the RPM's went over 4000 and would not stop. I applied the brake, but the engine kept the RPM's between 4000 and 4200. I stomped on the brake with both feet and the un-intended acceleration stayed at the higher RPM. I could hear the anti-lock brakes engage to help slow the truck down, but the engine labored over 4000 RPM. I was concerned with not being able to stop the truck, so I shifted the transmission into neutral and coasted to the berm of the road with the engine staying at a very high RPM. Once I came to a complete stop, I shifted the truck into park and the RPM's were over 6000. I immediately shut off the engine and waited a few seconds before trying to re-start the truck. I checked the condition of the floor mat asap to verify it was not on top of the accelerator. This happened to my wife less than a year ago and nothing was found at the Ford dealership and the ogc reviews suggested that the floor mat may have caused the first un-intended acceleration. As I turned the key, the engine would not start and it made a clicking noise. I got out of the truck and opened the hood to check the motor. I could not see anything, so I went back into the cab and started the truck. It started, but would not idle, the RPM's went to over 6000 and stayed constant. I shut the truck off again and waited a few seconds and on the third attempt, I shut the truck back off, because the RPM's would not idle and went to 6000 and stayed there. I adjusted the power adjustable foot pedals and waited a few seconds and the truck started and idled at normal RPM's. I left the truck at the dealership on 7/31/13 for an inspection....updated 09-26-13

- Marietta, OH, USA

Aug 122009

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the engine rpms increased excessively as the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 63,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Jul 242013

F-150 8-cyl

From a stop, I rapidly accelerated to 40 mph. While attempting to stop at red light I had to apply excessive brake force to stop. The engine was running at high RPM with foot off accelerator. I had to turn off ignition to prevent going into intersection. Then a few minutes later I was on highway going 70 mph and set cruise. I took my exit, pressed on brake to turn off cruise. The exit speed was 45 mph. I was not slowing down and pressed brakes very hard to reduce speed. The engine was still racing high speed as I was approaching a stop light. I had to place trans. In neutral and switch off ignition. After starting engine again RPM idle was normal and problem did not re-occur all the way home. On 7/25/13 I turned in truck to homer skelton Ford in olive branch, Ms. With a detailed description of the event to service personnel to inspect or repair vehicle. (this was a first event since Oct. 2012) I found a code C1963 in computer using car md and loaded defect onto web site for my records.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Jun 272013

F-150 8-cyl

Traveling at 65 mph with cruise control engaged as another vehicle merged on to the freeway I floored the accelerator to avoid a collision, the accelerator stuck at a very high rate of speed (85 to 90mph),tapping the brakes had no effect, disengaging the cruise had no effect, turned the ignition off in neutral for aprox 4 seconds had no effect, cruise finally disengaged after shutting the vehicle off in neutral for aprox 10 seconds.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Jun 012013

F-150 8-cyl

I was pulling my boat, when coming to a stop, to park the truck, it suddenly accelerated. I had to turn off the key to stop it. I restarted the vehicle and drove around to block and come back to make another stop and it happened again. I again turned off the key. I let the truck set for about an hour and restarted it with no other incidents. I am very afraid it will happen again. Took it back to the Ford dealer when I got home and they say they cannot find any problem.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Jun 072013

F-150 8-cyl

I was accelerating up a small hill. I reached 30mph and stopped accelerating. The truck continued to accelerate slowly at around 2000rpms after I took my foot off the pedal. I shifted the truck into neutral and the rpms slowly increased as it was no longer under load. I tapped the accelerator and they surged up to 4000 where they were capped by the computer. I used my brakes to come to a stop in the middle of the street and turned the truck off. I waited a few seconds and started it back up. The tachometer showed 1000rpms and then down to 700-800rpms. I continued home. This has happened 5 other times with this vehicle. I am still troubleshooting the problem, but it is not caused by floormats and I have ruled out the cruise control being part of the issue. The last time it happened, I engaged/disengaged the cruise control while the truck was accelerating on the interstate with no change in behavior. It appears to be mechanical to the throttle body or a computer malfunction somehow. It is a difficult problem to replicate and does not happen every trip. I am going to inspect/clean the throttle body and clean the mass air intake sensor. I haven't ever had a vehicle act this way and think there is a major problem if you have to turn a vehicle off to reset it. Losing power-steering/brakes is the problem with doing this while the vehicle is under way.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Mar 042009

F-150 8-cyl

I was on the highway and when I attempted to pass a vehicle, when I floored the gas pedal the truck lost all power for 3 to 5 seconds almost causing an accident. It has been that way from the day I bought it until present. When I questioned the dealer on the lose of power problem I was told nothing can be done about it because it is a normal issue with fly by wire accelerator.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

May 012013

F-150 8-cyl

Just got onthe expressway from the on ramp and had speed up faster due to on-coming traffic not slowing. I stepped on the gas pedal and accelerated. Took my foot off the gas but kept going faster. I used both feet on the brake to slow down but the engine kept accelerating. I took right foot and stomped the gas pedal and released it. That got the pedal unstuck and I returned to a safer speed. I travel the same way to work and this has happened 4 times so far. The last two of which I am sure that it was not the floor mat.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 092013

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while at a stop, the engine rpms increased excessively and the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where a diagnosis was recommended. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000 and the current mileage was 14,600....updated 05/08/13 the consumer stated the dealer advised the failure was due to the gas and brake pedal being too close together. This caused the driver to step on both at the same time. Updated 06/10/2013

- Grand Haven , MI, USA

Oct 192012

F-150 8-cyl

I was making a left turn and my gas pedal got stuck / accelerated and I stepped on the brakes numerous times and I couldn't stop the vehicle. Very dangerous and freaked me out. I couldn't stop the truck and accelerated to over 50 miles per hour until it finally slowed down on its own after collision. I suffered damage to my front end and my rim/ tires. I hit a pole to avoid hitting another vehicle. I hope a recall is called. I am just happy no one was seriously injured.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Sep 182012

F-150 8-cyl

I was entering an on-ramp onto the interstate and accelerating at the time. As I was nearing the end of the ramp, I felt the truck was traveling faster than I had intended. I removed my foot off of the accelerator only to hear the engine revving and watched the speedometer continue to climb. I was traveling between 80-85 mph by the time I was entering the interstate approaching a tractor trailer truck. I stood with both feet, straight legged with 130 pounds on the brake while not only trying to avoid the tractor trailer in front of me, but watching another tractor trailer approaching me from behind. My speed continued to climb as the accelerator remained stuck. After approximately half a mile of me standing on the brake, I heard a loud bang as the accelerator let go and my braking took effect. I took it to the closest Ford dealership who "could not duplicate the problem, the peddle must have been stuck on the floormat". as I was not satisfied, I then took it to the dealership where I had purchased it only to be told the same thing. As the person driving the vehicle, I can assure you, it wasn't stuck on the floormat. The same thing occurred to my husband as he accelerated to pass a vehicle. However, the period of acceleration did not last as long as this last episode. Both dealerships were made well aware of both incidents.

- Rimersburg, PA, USA

Apr 012010

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. While parked, the contact placed his foot on the accelerator pedal and shifted into reverse. The vehicle suddenly surged and accelerated on its own. The contact placed the vehicle in neutral in order to come to a stop. The failure occurred intermittently and also occurred while in drive with his foot on the brake pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The technicians were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 500....updated 09/12/12 updated 09/18/12

- Escalante, UT, USA