2010 Ford F-150 accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford F-150:

2010 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 102016

F-150

Got into vehicle for 1 mile trip to train station, outside weather conditions were 46 deg. F and overcast. Turned on windshield defrost - both front and rear. After about 10 minutes of sitting in the parked vehicle off of the street, at 5:23am, the passenger side rear window popped very loudly. When investigated, the rear window was shattered.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Apr 282016

F-150

Drivers mirror was foggy due to early morning moisture. Turned on my heated mirrors which are also connected to the rear sliding window defroster. About 2 minutes later while driving I heard a loud sound, like a gunshot. The passenger side back glass had shattered due to the defroster imbedded in the glass.

- Fairbanks, AK, USA

Feb 112016

F-150

While using the rear window defrosters, the rear passenger window shattered. This is the second time this has happened to this vehicle. The first time, Ford covered it as a warranty. This time they will not cover it since it is over 100,000 miles. Both the service manager at the Ford dealership and the customer care representatives acknowledge this has been a problem with these vehicles. Both times the window shattered occurred while driving on the highway. The first occurrence happened in June and the second time was in February. Temperatures were extremely different. June was in the mid 70's and February was 0 - 5F. the shattered glass went all over the rear passenger seat. Clean up was a hazard as the glass is very sharp.

- Akron, OH, USA

Feb 152016

F-150

Was operating the rear window defogger and the rear passenger side section of the power rear window slider shattered. The local Ford dealer acknowledged it is a problem but Ford has not recalled. The local window repair company said that most times it is the passenger side that shatters. The truck is out of warranty and repair is not covere.

- Milan, IL, USA

Feb 022016

F-150

I was parked in my vehicle, was about 25 degrees outside I had my rear window defroster on after about 10 mins of being on the back glass passenger side popped.

- Cambridge, MN, USA

Jan 292016

F-150

I was driving this morning with the temperture around 30degrees. I turned on my rear defrost to thaw my mirrors and rear glass of frost. Within 10 minutes of leaving my driveway, while driving I heard a large pop that resembled a gun shot, my daughter started screaming and stated my back window had broken. There are burn marks on the defrost contacts, shards of safety glass off of my window that shot out when exploded with my 5 year old daughter in the rear seat and her car seat. Vehicle was in motion approx 55 mph. The sound alone caused me to lock up my brakes out of instinct to investigate the loud noise that sounded like a gun shot and to examine the vehicle. This is a serious safety issue and needs to be addressed! there was a burning smell of what smelt like electrical wire burning present when this happened and minimal smoke in the back of the vehicle.

- Kingsville, MO, USA

Jan 062016

F-150

While operating the vehicle on a cold morning, I engaged the rear window defroster. The car was in traffic on the interstate on wi hwy 45 travelling 70 mph. Shortly 2-5 minutes of turning on the electric defroster, the glass shattered rather violently sending glass into the passenger compartment and truck bed.

- Campbellsport, WI, USA

Jan 182016

F-150

It was 7 degrees this morning and there was ice on my rear window. I turned on the electric defrost and about 5 minutes later I hear a loud bang. The passenger side rear window exploded / shattered into pieces. We called Ford and they are not willing to rectify the situation or addres it in any way.

- Lower Burrell, PA, USA

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While driving down the highway, I turned on the rear window defroster to melt some snow on that window. No cars in sight in either direction. Suddenly there was a load noise (almost like a gunshot). The back sliding window panel on the passenger side blew out. There appeared a hole about the size of a softball. The rest of the same panel was shattered. My wife and I literally jumped. She hollered. At first we thought someone had shot the window. I can only imagine what would have happened if someone was sitting in the back seat in front of the window when it blew. I asked the man who installed the new one and he said he does about 5 of these a year. I checked online, and one website had 104 complaints about the F150 window blowing out. I think this should be checked into.

- Gordon, WI, USA

Dec 262015

F-150

While driving my Ford F150 on a state highway I turned on the defrost switch for the rear window. Within a few minutes time the rear window panel shattered with a loud pop expelling glass shardes over the rear seating area. A smell of burning plastic accompanied this incident causing me and my family to pull off the road and evacuate the vehicle. This truck has 58000 miles on it and Ford says its not there problem although after researching this many people have had this same experience.

- Pound, VA, USA

Dec 282015

F-150

Wife was driving home on a 30 degree snowy day with rear defroster on. Backed into the garage and as she turned the truck off a lot bang occurred. I was in the garage at the time and realized the passenger rear window spider cracked and essentially shattered. Ford says there is no recall, had replaced the next day for 600 dollars.

- Menasha, WI, USA

F-150

While driving on a local road (approx. 45 mph, raining, approx. 50 degrees outside) heard a sound that sounded like a gun shot. Looked around and didn't see anything next to me or behind me. When next stopped the truck got out to check to see if something happened to the truck body. Then realized the passenger side back rear window shattered. (it's a 3-part rear window.) looking very closely, the glass spidered, starting from the bottom corner closest to the center window up to the opposite top corner. The glass spidered inside the car. Outside the glass, although still intact, was buckled facing out. At the time this happened, the rear window defroster was on. When got back in truck to travel home, during the drive the window broke with small pieces of glass falling all over the back seat. Very lucky that no one, family or pet, was in the backseat when this happened as would have been hit by broken glass. Believe this issue is related to rear defroster along with glass manufacturing. Contacted the local Ford dealership and since car is out of warranty they can fix but at least $1000. Contacted Ford Motor Company, no recall available.

- Cedar Run, NJ, USA

F-150

It was a 45 degree day I turned on rear defroster for approx. 10 minutes vehicle was stationary I heard a loud pop and passenger side rear glass in the 3 piece unit was blown out this was followed by the smell of burnt rubber I have read many other complaints on this issue please review.

- Mount Morris, NY, USA

Dec 172015

F-150

I was driving down the freeway at about 65 mph. I was the only vehicle in traffic. As I was going down the road with the rear and front defrost on, my driver side rear window shattered and had spider web cracks all through the window. There have been many other complaints about the rear windows shattering. Tons of witnesses could be found by a simple google search of 2010 F150 rear window shattering. Please investigate.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 162015

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, there was a loud explosion and the contact discovered that the sliding rear window on the passengers side had shattered. The contact stated that the rear defroster was powered on at the time and it appeared as if the glass shattered where the defroster was attached to the glass. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Dec 072015

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while making a left turn at approximately 10 mph, an abnormal sound emitted from the vehicle. As a result, the contact discovered that the rear passenger side window shattered. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 63,500.

- Streeter, IL, USA

Nov 242015

F-150

Driving down the road after having the rear window defroster on for ~5 to 10 mins heard loud pop. Thought something hit the truck upon investigation found rear passenger side section of back glass shattered but still in place. Googled problem on internet and found many other instances that had this same issue on several forums. No signs of impact where anything hit the window.

- Williston, SC, USA

Nov 212015

F-150

2010 Ford F150 platinum left rear window shattered when using rear window defroster. Turned defroster on and heard a loud crack after approx 3 minutes use. 11/21/2015. Similar to other scenarios and replies posted here but I have added some photos. It would appear a water leak has caused water to build up in the track and shorted the circuit. 1st image of shattered window. 2nd image of melted window casing.

- Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Nov 072015

F-150

Rear glass shattered upon use of the rear defrost.

- Hermann, MO, USA

Oct 232015

F-150

Blend door actuator, temperature actuator, heating & air system quit working correctly on driver's side of vehicle. Apparently this is an issue on other Ford models. Luckily I was not in a situation where the windshield was foggy or icy. But very concerned that it could be a problem for others. If this part would fail someone in a ice storm or very humid conditions, it would become a vision problem for the driver. In researching this issue several others people have had problems - I do not know if any resulting accidents occurred.

- Evansville, IN, USA