2010 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford F-150:

2010 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 212015

F-150

Engine stalls out while driving. My truck stalled out on me 3 times on 10/21/15, and has happened a few times before but always on separate occasions. On the 21st, I was driving about 5-10 mph in a shopping center parking lot when my truck stalled for the first time that day. About 15-20 minutes later, my truck stalled two more times, once at about the same speed as before and once while I was switching lanes at about 40 mph. This also mean I had no power steering and almost got into 2 accidents because of the problem. After the problem occurs, an oil funnel light comes on and then I shift my truck manually into neutral and turn the key and my truck fires right back up without hesitation. I drove my truck straight to the dealership where I let them test and drive it for 2 days and they could not recreate the problem, the truck didn't throw any codes either and the dealership says its normal when the engine stalls for the oil funnel light to come on. I'm at a loss for what could be wrong with my truck and as to why this is happening. If my truck does this to me while driving on the freeway it could result in a huge accident.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 052015

F-150

While stopped at a red light waiting for the light to change vehicle died and made funny noises while attempting to start... took five tries before vehicle started.

- Ashland City, TN, USA

Sep 272015

F-150

While slowing down to turn onto a side road, vehicle died and I had to coast to a stop with no steering or brakes. Vehicle started up immediately after with no stored code.

- Ashland City, TN, USA

Sep 012014

F-150

Exhaust manifolds are rusting off very bad.big flakes.I don't even drive truck in winter.I called Ford and gote no help.

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 212015

F-150

I live in a metropolitan area where there is always a high volume of traffic and losing power of a vehicle is a dangerous situation. Driving in 5:00 rush hour traffic and accelerating from a red light when my Ford truck entered into a "limp home" mode (wrench icon and oil lamp appeared) it stalled out. I was able to coast into a parking lot even though I had no power steering or brakes. Eventually, I was able to start my vehicle. My truck drove fine but now and then had a hesitation to start. About a week later, it stalled again; this time it did not start. I was a block from my office and we pushed it back. I had it towed to a local shop and was told it was the fuel pump. I work in outside sales and had to have it replaced $700. The truck drove ok for about a month, but still hesitated on starting. In June, once again it stalled. I took it back to the shop and they could find nothing wrong. July 9th, I was driving about 55 mph when I came to a signal light and stopped. The light turned green, I begin my left hand turn and the truck stalled. I had it towed to Ford dealer. They are saying that now it is the fuel pump battery junction box, another $2500 and it will take after labor day before I get my truck back because there are no parts available!!! rent a car for 2 months on top of that!!!

- Irving , TX, USA

Nov 072014

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, a noise emitted from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who replaced the inner and outer tie rods. The failure persisted after the repair was performed. In addition, the engine stalled and restarted on two separate occasions however, the dealer was unable to locate the problem. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 71.400. Updated 7/7/15

- Harahan, LA, USA

Mar 152015

F-150 8-cyl

While slowing for a stop engine shut down. No engine lights or warnings were displayed. Steering locked up. Truck restarted with no problem. Very dangerous.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Feb 252015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Started driving this truck and exhaust fumes stated smelling in the truck. Causing my family to seek medical attention.

- Rosharon, TX, USA

Feb 272015

F-150

I was stopped at a red light when the warning chime went off and oil light came on.engine turned off, lost all power.was able to get vehicle started again.had vehicle towed to nearest Ford dealership.they could not find anything wrong with vehicle, no codes.drove vehicle home approximately 14 miles, same thing happened again.vehicle has stalled four times in two days, once when trying to make a left turn.vehicle has been serviced only at Ford dealerships, what they recommended to do, was done.same scenario happens, warning chime, oil light comes on, total loss of power.dealership gave me impression they never heard of this problem.searching this on the internet, I have found numerous posts of the same thing happening to other customers.bringing vehicle back to dealership, see what happens.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Nov 052014

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 40 mph, the fuel door opened independently and the check engine indicator illuminated continuously. The failure occurred on a daily basis. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 17,000.

- Brotson, SC, USA

Sep 162014

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 35 mph and attempting to apply the brakes, the vehicle hesitated to stop and the power steering failed. The vehicle stalled, but was able to immediately be restarted. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000.

- West Palm Beach , FL, USA

Mar 162010

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and loss power intermittently. The contact mentioned that the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the diagnosis was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Jun 202014

F-150

Engine stalls at red lights no reason.

- Lawndale, NC, USA

May 302014

F-150 8-cyl

My 2010 Ford F150 has approx. 30,4xx miles on it and has been maintained perfectly. In a brief summary, going in to work early (5am) potentially saved me from having a wreck to due a faulty throttle body. Upon accelerating from a red light, my truck entered into a "limp home" mode (mechanic wrench icon appeared) and began to incorrectly regulate my rpms. This caused my vehicle to become nearly stranded as I was moving no faster than 10mph in a 50mph zone. I was luckily only 1/8th of a mile from work and was able to get off the street. Upon leaving work, my truck was acting fine with no warning lights (not even the mechanic wrench). I then proceeded to drive it to an auto parts supplier to have a free diagnostic performed. No codes were saved or showed up. However, while driving back home, it again acted up and entered a limp mode. This time both "check engine" and "mechanic wrench" lights were on. I took my truck to the nearest dealer who then diagnose the problem as a faulty throttle body. I am quoted $881 to perform the replacement of a ~$150 part...since it is a 2010, it is out of the 3yr/36,000 bumper to bumper and Ford doesn't consider the throttle body part of the drive train warranty (Ford will cover the intake manifold though, a chunk of plastic that won't break)... Ford has apparently had problems w/ their drive-by-wire throttle bodies, as seen through their "consumer satisfaction program 13N03" recall. This incident should definitely be investigated as I have taken proper care of my truck (that has 30,400 miles) and I am stranded in a road, often traveled by 18 wheelers, going 10mph. I am not confident in my Ford truck.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

May 162011

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning when she applied the brakes to deactivate the cruise control. The contact mentioned that the failure intermittently occurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage 79,000.

- Wharton, WV, USA

May 052014

F-150 8-cyl

2010 Ford F-150 5.4 ltr stalling at idle and losing control of vehicle. Repairs done at local dealership including replacement of catalytic converters and O2 sensors. Problem still exists almost causing several accidents. Back at dealership again for review. Truck is dangerous to drive. Same problem can be seen all over the internet. Ford needs to address this issue before someone is killed.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Apr 122014

F-150

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F150. The contacted stated that the oil light illuminated and the vehicle stalled while braking to a stop. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was unable to diagnose a failure. The manufacture was contacted about this failure. The failure and the current mileage was 61,000.

- Reading, PA, USA

Sep 012013

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled as if out of fuel, despite having been recently filled with gas. Fuel monitoring system (tank level gage and range computer) indicated that vehicle was using fuel at much higher rate than normal. For example, normal range of this truck when 36 gallon tank is full is approximately 570 miles. After 250 miles, gauge was showing tank out of fuel and range computer was instructing me to refuel. Refilling only required 15 gallons, indicating reduced tank storage capacity. After performing research via internet, suspected bent fuel pump mount due to failed tank purge valve. Brought vehicle to dealer for service who found stored P-1450 code which indicated a prior failure of the fuel vent purge valve. Dealer dropped the tank, removed the fuel pump assembly and verified that the mounting system for the pump assembly had been severely bent when tank collapsed under atmospheric pressure. Negative gage pressure inside of tank caused plastic fuel tank to collapse, severely bending fuel pump mounting hardware which is constructed of two 3/16" diameter steel rods. Apparently the purge valve failed and either there is no pressure relief system, or it failed. Dealer replaced pump and purge solenoid valve at owner cost of $950+. dealer indicated that there was no liability from either dealer or manufacturer. My concerns is simple....how can the design of the fuel system allow the tank to collapse at all? my case resulted in pump hardware damage, but it seem very plausible that fuel tank damage or failure is very possible, potentially leading to spilled fuel and fire.

- Roberts, WI, USA

Sep 062013

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The contact was awaiting the diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified, but no response. Updated 10-24-13 the dealer was able to determine the problem after much checking and testing. The maf sensor was bad. There was no warning, no code thrown, and no check engine light illuminated. There was complete and instant power failure. Updated 10/29/13

- New Port Ritchey , FL, USA

Sep 082013

F-150

I have 2010 Ford F150 FX4. I have 36000 miles on it and am the original. Bought it new from dealership. Today I was towing my horse trailer with 2 horses in it and came through the residential area near the barn. Speed limit is 30 miles an hour and I was doing 25 and was actually braking to slow it down to 20. I heard a weird engine noise and suddenly the truck surged and took off. We hit almost 50 miles an hour in this residential 2 lane road in a matter of seconds and I was standing on the brakes with both feet. My friend in the truck was downshifting (automatic) for me in an attempt to slow engine down. We managed to get it to 2nd and with me standing on brakes we were able to keep it at 40 mph. Neutral had no effect and rpms way too high for first gear-every time I slightly lifted my foot of the brakes slightly, we surged to 50 and the truck kept trying to go faster. Nothing we tried could get it to stop, slow or return to normal. We tried neutral and nothing happened. It was not the floor mat or the tow feature. Did not have speed control on. Scariest ride of my life and with two horses behind me. I was prepared to hit a tree or rock wall as we were running out of road. I was terrified of jack knifing. We finally hit an incline for a hill and we slammed it into neutral again, pulled the emergency brake and shut off the engine when we got to the top. Think my brakes completely burned out and smoke was coming from my engine. Numerous people that we had terrified pulled over with us once we got the runaway truck stopped. Called tow truck and had towed to dealership and will see what they say tomorrow. I shudder to think what could have happened had someone pulled onto the road in front of us or a deer stepped out. I am terrified of this truck now.

- Larkspur, CO, USA