2.9

2010 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford F-150:

2010 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 272014

F-150

I started my truck Jan. 27th,2014 on a very cold morning and turned on the rear defrost on my 2010 Ford F150 super crew-cab truck. I let the truck warm up and when I got to my destination I noticed the rear, passenger side window was shattered. I have seen many complaints on the internet with same the problem which sounds like it could be an electrical problem. I got an estimate to get it fixed. They wanted over $800. I have a $500 deductible on my insurance. I don't need this expense. I will be calling Ford customer service number to complain.

- South Amherst, OH, USA

Jan 042014

F-150

I started my truck up and activated the rear defroster. It was extremely cold about 11 degrees in NJ approx. 5 minutes later I detected what appeared to be a crackling noises which resulted in the rear passenger window popping and shattering. I have recently contacted Ford and advised them. I was told my vehicle is out of warranty and they cant help me out with this issue. There is obviously a defect in the glass for that year due to there being thousands of issues related to the same issues on these vehicle. As a long time Ford customer I feel this is enough of an issue which will cause my to switch my choice in future trucks.

- Port Reading , NJ, USA

Dec 232013

F-150

Started the car in the morning. Turned on the rear defroster. Began to shovel the driveway and heard a loud pop from the truck. Didn't notice anything until I got in to back up and saw the rear passenger window gad shattered. Ford dealer was very familiar with the "window" problem, as they described it. Said that because the vehicle was past 50,000 miles that it was no longer under warranty. I rarely use the rear defroster. The dealer said I should take it to the local glass specialist to have it replaced. They never mentioned that it may be an electrical problem. It seems to me that a known repetitive problem should be paid for by Ford. If it is an electrical problem, I may be replacing my window more than once.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Dec 172013

F-150 8-cyl

The right rear window (passenger side) shattered for the second time, when the rear window defroster was being used.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Nov 192013

F-150 8-cyl

The right side of the 3 piece rear window with defroster shattered after I turned it on. I had driven maybe 1 1/2 blocks after turning it on. I don't feel safe turning it on anymore. The window replacement company did not know what caused it. I bought the vehicle used with about 24050 miles on it so I don't know if this has happened before.

- Hartland, WI, USA

Dec 042013

F-150

I had turned on my rear window defroster and after about 5 minutes I heard a loud bang. The right side of the rear power sliding window had shattered.

- Fortson, GA, USA

Nov 262013

F-150 8-cyl

Was driving into driveway at approx. 5 mph and heard load pop. When got into garage I got out and noticed passenger side back window was shattered. When I was driving home I had turned on the rear window defrosters about 4 minutes before this happened. Looking into this, it seems to be a common problem with Ford and they don't want to acknowledge any problems.

- Navarre, OH, USA

Oct 312013

F-150

In the morning I turned on my rear defrost it was aprox 40 degrees out. About 10 minutes into my drive I heard that sounded like a gun shot inside the truck slammed on the brakes and pulled to the side of the road... looked around didn't see anything. As the sound seemed to come from the roof of the truck I looked at the roof and didn't see anything. I discounted it as a car backfire and proceeded to the gas station. At that point I noticed my rear passenger side window had exploded. Later examination I discovered many complaints of this problem. I have called Ford both dealer and corporate and they said they have no record or recall of the problem. This does pose a safety hazard as the sound of the window exploding is very loud and distracting and typically as I've read happens in motion.

- Eastlake, OH, USA

Sep 262013

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I was sitting in my car with the rear window defroster on (60 or 70 degrees outside) and heard a very loud pop. When I looked at the back window it had exploded (shattered completely with no spider web cracks) and no one driving nearby, cutting grass, walking, etc - there was no one around, nothing next to the truck or in the bed that could have hit the window. I looked it up online in multiple forums and found that a very large number of complaints described the exact same thing happening to 2010 F-150S with rear defroster on. The window replacement company in town also stated they had replaced 3 or 4 windows that had the same thing happen. I'm lucky no one was sitting next to the window because small shards of glass fell into the seat and interior of the truck.

- Spring, TX, USA

Sep 152013

F-150 8-cyl

My husband and I just purchased a 2010 Ford F150 lariat super crew on 9/7/13. On 9/15/13, when he left for work at 5 am he put on the rear defroster. He drove 2 1/2 miles to work and as soon as he shut off the truck, he heard a loud pop. The passenger side of the rear window shattered.

- Biglerville, PA, USA

Sep 122013

F-150 8-cyl

This morning I switched on my rear defroster. Outside temperature was around 50 degrees. With a few minutes I heard a loud pop. Inspecting the glass of the vehicle I found the driver's side rear window broken (spider webbed). The dealer is telling me that glass is not covered under the extended warranty.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Aug 132013

F-150 8-cyl

While driving I put my rear defroster on and I heard a very loud popping sound. When I looked in my rear view mirror I noticed the back window shattered.

- Fords, NJ, USA

Aug 072013

F-150 8-cyl

I was driving and heard a very loud bang. Then I heard the rear window crackling and looked back and noticed the rear passenger side window had exploded and shattered. It was only being held together by the factory tint but there were glass shards throughout the back seat where my children sit. The window is a power sliding rear window with defrost. I also had the rear defrost on during the time which may have contributed to the window shattering.

- Pioneer, OH, USA

Apr 232013

F-150 8-cyl

Turned on the rear window defogger and after about 2 minutes the passenger side of the rear window exploded.

- Vail, CO, USA

Mar 142013

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Outside temp was 22, while warming up truck, turned on rear window defroster & within 5 minutes; the passenger side rear window shattered. Updated 03/27/13

- Lexington, OH, USA

Jan 152013

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Cpsc: I1310446A. 2010 Ford F150. Consumer stated his rear window exploded after turning on the rear defrost....updated 03/20/13

- Carmel, IN, USA

Jan 042013

F-150 8-cyl

I went out too warm up my truck the other morning before work. I started the vehicle, turned on heat and the front and rear defroster. Came back outside to leave about 10 minutes later, as I started to pull out of my driveway I heard a loud pop. I got out of my truck to inspect my tires, which I thought was the problem at first. They were fine. I was not sure what the noise was, so I got back into the vehicle. As I proceeded to back out of my driveway again I looked on my rearview mirror and noticed my back glass was shattered. I had my rear defroster on, which for some reason shattered my passenger side rear window. I took my truck into the dealership and they told me there is no issue and Ford is not responsible for the glass. After doing some research there seems to be an issue with the rear defroster in this vehicle. I believe Ford needs to fix this issue before some child is in the back seat of one of these vehicles and gets injured.

- Westwood , NJ, USA

Nov 162012

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

On my 2010 Ford F150 4X4 truck the right side rear window chattered when I turned on the rear defroster. You can see where there was some kind of energy built up at the base of the window and it exploded out, bending the window thin aluminum outer covering and it has a charred look to it. The rear window in that section is chattered in a million pieces just waiting to crumble out. *...updated 03-20-13

- Matthews, NC, USA

Nov 122012

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I had started my truck, turned on the rear defroster, and within 10 minutes the back passenger side glass completely shattered. It appears that there was a small electrical fire or shortage in the corner of the glass where the defrosting mechanism attaches to the window glass. The window seal does not appear to be melted, but at the time of glass breaking, there was a loud bang (something like a fire cracker exploding). Updated 12/04/12...updated 03/20/13

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Oct 222012

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving to work on a cold morning and had my rear defroster on. About 5 miles from home I heard a loud, gun shot type sound and couldn't figure out what happened. I thought it was a blown tire but when I looked in my rear view mirror I realized that the back panel in my rear window had shattered. It was totally spider-webed. I took it to the dealership and they claimed the defroster was functioning fine so they wouldn't cover it. Updated 11/30/12

- Tornado, WV, USA