2011 Ford F-150 accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 192015

F-150

Vehicle was parked overnight in the yard. The auto start was used the next morning to warm up the vehicle and defrost the windows (outside temp was +25F). After the vehicle was running for less than 10 minutes, the rear window was not defrosted. I entered the vehicle to drive to work and pushed the rear window defroster button which would not turn on. When I arrived at work I found the rear (passenger side) window had shattered. My opinion is that the defroster had shattered the window and I have read similar complaints all over this web site and the internet. I carefully covered both layers of the broken window with duct tape to keep any more of the fine glass shards from falling onto/into the rear seat. Ford has yet another defective assembly on their F150 trucks! a new "feature" - shattering glass when the defroster is used. I'm glad no one was sitting back there when it happened!

- Owego, NY, USA

Oct 152015

F-150

The rear window defroster lite quit working about a month ago. It came on today and within 5 minutes, the right rear window cracked. I had just merged onto the highway with no one or thing around me.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Sep 182015

F-150

The other day in the morning I started my vehicle and attempted to activate the defrost since there was some slight frost on my windows and it was chilly. The defrost button light would not light up indicating that it was on. In addition to that I have heated mirros and they would not defrost along with the sliding rear window. I attempted to open the window in hopes that that would clear up my visibility before I drove and it would not open. This is a safety issue in my eyes since I am unable to see out of my rear window and side mirrors with out wiping them off myself only to fog up minutes late.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Jun 302015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 5 mph and depressed the brake pedal to stop at a stop sign, the anti lock brake warning indicator illuminated. The brake pedal was pumped and the vehicle slid into the intersection. The failure recurred on two other occasions. On the third occasion, while driving approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal failed to respond when depressed. The brake pedal was pumped as the contact slid into an intersection. The contact clipped the rear of a Jeep that was traveling approximately 60 mph, causing the Jeep to flip over twice before landing upright. The contact and the driver of the other vehicle sustained injuries that required medical attention and were transported by ambulance. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a body shop, but the failure was unable to be determined. The damage to the vehicle was repaired. The contact also stated that when the windshield wipers were powered off, they would independently swipe across the windshield approximately every ten seconds. The contact stated that the fuse had to be removed so the windshield wipers would disengage. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Scottsburg, IN, USA

Nov 012013

F-150

This model F-150 has a known problem in that the electrical defrost on the rear window stops working. The repair is a $750 new window that Ford refuses to fix, nor guarantee once they do fix it. It is happening to a lot of F-150 owners, and this is a safety concern, as the window will remain fogged or snow covered in winter driving months. Again, Ford is aware, as this problem has affected many F-150 owners, as verified by a google search.

- Beckley, WV, USA

Apr 092015

F-150

One week prior rear defrost stopped working. Right rear window shattered, while driving into parking lot. Sounded like a large chunk of ice fell on roof. Speed about 10mph. Outside air temp 38F. Took truck to Ford dealer and was told Ford hasn't had a issue with windows shattering. A mechanic from the dealership looked at the window and stated he had the same thing happen to his truck one month prior. Dealership told me to contact giant glass for replacement as there body shop doesn't replace glass. Giant glass representative stated they have seen a few F150 rear windows shattering and may have something to do with the rear defrost.

- Nantucket, MA, USA

May 042015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

When I went to leave for work this morning, I tried to turn the rear defroster on and it would not turn on. After about 15 minutes of driving and slowing down to the village speed limit of 30 mph, there was a loud pop/ bang that sounded like a gunshot. I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed the driver side rear window shattered but was still in place. I pulled over to inspect it and noticed the rear defroster led light on. I have read all the complaints on this same issue and they all sound exactly the same. They all explain that it has something to do with the rear defroster and a loud pop and the rear window shattering.

- Harrisville, NY, USA

Apr 302015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While driving at 65mph on a highway in ga with my rear window defroster on, with an exterior temperature in the mid 50S, I heard a very loud bang which I initially thought was a rock kicked up by the vehicle in front of me. When I reached my destination, I found it was the passenger side rear window panel that had shattered due to the defroster overheating and was still intact because of the factory tint applied to the involved window. It's obvious the defroster was the cause because the spider webbing began at the corner/base of the window where the heating connections are in place and now my rear window defroster does not work when I attempt to activate it.

- Pooler, GA, USA

Apr 142015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While using the rear defroster, the rear window glass shattered. Research has indicated that this is a common occurrence resulting from a defect in the manufacture and assembly of the vehicle. The manufacturer has refused to honor my request for replacement of the glass.

- Medina, OH, USA

Mar 192015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Ford F150 FX4 with the power rear sliding window with defroster. The led light does not work to power the defroster and the rear window is also not defrosting. After searching on the internet if this does not get repaired the rear window has shattered. The dealer advised me there was no recall and replacement cost would be $1350.

- Portland, OR, USA

Mar 092015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Drove home in warm weather. Parked backed into the driveway. Left parked overnight and got very cold. Went to go to work in the morning and back drivers side window was spidered. Ford dealer claims no known issue and out of warranty. Want $700 to replace. I'm due to turn in for new vehicle (it was a lease). They want me to pay for the damage. Model XLT supercrew 2011.

- Riverview, MI, USA

Feb 272015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I turned the rear defrost on in my 2011 Ford F-150 and smelt a burning smell and then heard a pop the back driver side window tile had shattered.

- Altoona, IA, USA

Feb 152015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Turned on the remote start which apparently has a factory setting that the rear defrost automatically comes on. Come out to the vehicle and the passenger side rear slider is shattered.

- Saint Ann , MO, USA

Feb 192014

F-150

Rear sliding window defroster stopped working and driver's side heated seat also stopped working. Prior to heated seat stopping to work, it became so hot it actually made my leg so hot it hurt. If I was wearing shorts skin would of been burnt. At the time seat and defroster stopped working I smelled wires burning. Googled these problems I saw this is a very common occurrence. Took my truck to dealership, Ford will fix seat, but it will cost me $100 deductible. Rear window defroster is not covered by my extended warranty. At this time waiting to hear back from Ford. There are at least 20-30 complaints on this site about rear defroster, Ford needs to be held accountable for this defect.

- Ewing, NJ, USA

Jan 242015

F-150

Rear left window spider webbed, the shattered, while defrosting, it was -4 out. The middle window, slider, and rear right are ok, but entire unit must be replaced. Outer glass now falling off inside glass ok. I think it might be a common problem as I know one other who had the same happen, but under warranty first winter. I have found many similar on internet. Does not appear to be recall. $800 repair..

- Rhinebeck, NY, USA

Jan 172015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

My truck was parked and running. I turned on the rear defrost and noticed the light did not come on. A couple minutes later I heard a loud pop and the drivers side rear window shattered. I went to the Ford dealer as I just purchased the truck on 01/16/2015. They acted like it was an isolated incident and I didn't think much of it. I then find on the internet this is an on going issue. My son was sitting in the back seat when this happened. I feel this is a vehicle defect that needs to be addressed by Ford. I also feel this is a safety issue as my son could have be injured during this incident. Thank you for your attention in this matter.

- Warren, ME, USA

Nov 102014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

When I started my truck, there was a thin layer of ice on the rear window. I turned on the rear defrost, but it only stayed on for approximately 15-20 seconds, then turned off and would not turn on again. About a mile down the road I heard a very loud noise, it sounded like a large object hit the roof of the cab, I noticed a burnt rubber smell briefly, and then I noticed that the right side of rear window behind the headrest completely shattered. The window is still in place, but there are tiny shards of glass on the seat. Fortunately I did not have any passengers in the truck at that time, but that is normally where my daughter sits.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Oct 252014

F-150 8-cyl

Driving down the road at 35 miles per hour, my right rear black glass shattered from the inside. My son was sitting in the back seat and thankfully he was on the opposite side. It sounded like a shot gun hit the truck. It was so loud, we pulled over and was checking each other to make sure we didn't get hit by a bullet. We soon learned it was the window that shattered for no reason. I bought this truck brand new and I keep it in great shape and spotless so it was nothing that I did wrong. I called the dealer and was told by the service manager that there was nothing he could do and I was out of warranty so this is not covered. It should be a recall because it could have caused serious injury to someone in the back seat since glass particles were falling out of the glass. The part is $667 and it has to be replaced out of my pocket. I am very upset after reading the internet of how many people this has happened to with their Ford trucks.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Sep 142014

F-150

I was driving down the road and all of a sudden heard a loud pop, looked in my rearview mirror and the rear window on the passenger side of the truck was shattered. The rear defroster was on upon the time of this happening, but it was not on for more than 5 minutes.

- Lincoln, RI, USA

Mar 252014

F-150

The defrost button would not come on properly. Once it did, approximately 3 to 5 minutes later I heard a loud pop. That is when I noticed by looking in the rear view mirror that the rear drivers side back window had shattered. There was nothing indicating it had been struck by anything. The entire window was still intact. The outdoor temperature was around 27 degrees. 2011 F150 super crew.

- Portland, MI, USA