2011 Ford F-150 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Oct 082011

F-150

I rented a Ford pickup truck from U-haul, and I feel that the automatic lighting controls on it are a safety issue. At night, when you open the driver's door, the dashboard illumination (speedometer, other gauges) comes on automatically. When you put in the key and start the engine, the daytime running lights (white lights on the front of the truck that are not as intense as the normal low-beam headlamps) come on. The dashboard illumination remains on at all times. Rear red running lamps/tail lamps do not illuminate*, but this is not obvious when you are in the driver's seat. The result is that it is possible to drive at night with some white light coming out of the front of the vehicle, and the ability to read the speedometer, but with rear lighting*. I verified that the parking/emergency brake was fully off (as that is sometimes an input to the drls), and had a friend stand on the side of the street and observe as I drove the truck, and he verified that I had no running lights/tail lights on the back. The brake lamps operated normally when I stepped on the brake, but there was no red light to the rear unless I was stepping on the brake. All of the above was with the headlight switch off. When I clicked the headlight switch to the first position, the running lights illuminated (orange on the front near the headlamps, red in the rear lamp clusters.) when I clicked it to the second position, the normal low beams came on at full intensity. What I think should be different: Either the automatic lights/drls should also turn on the tail lights at night, or there should be some indication to the driver that he needs to take additional action (operate the headlight switch) in order to have tail lights. Having the speedometer illumination go out when the engine is started might be a good choice.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA