2011 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 11)

May 202016

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle shifted from sixth gear into first gear without warning. The rear wheels locked and the rear throttle failed, which caused the vehicle to spin. The contact was able to turn off and restart the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was still able to be driven; however, the dealer stated that the vehicle was not safe to drive. The contact stated that the failure was directly related to NHTSA campaign number: 16V248000 (power train). The failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000.

- Park City, UT, USA

May 252016

F-150

Truck will downshift at random

- Veedersubrg, IN, USA

May 212016

F-150

We were driving down the highway doing the speed limit of 55 mph when suddenly the truck down shifted straight to first gear which caused the vehicle behind us to slam on their brakes and nearly miss an accident. It stayed in first gear despite pressing the gas. Only got it to shift to second gear after putting into manual and shifting up from there. There was a separate occurance where the speedometer failed to read our speed (was at 0 mph for miles) and the screen where all the fuel economy info should be showed blank spaces. There has been a recall issued for just this (we were notified by our Ford app) but when I call our local dealership they say they have not been provided with a remedy yet. It is highly dangerous to drive our truck in this circumstance yet nobody is able to provide the powertrain control module reprogramming at this time, although the recall was issued April 25, 2016. Unsure what we are to do as this is our main vehicle.

- Hereford, AZ, USA

Apr 292016

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 35 mph, the rear wheels screeched. The contact looked at the instrument panel and noticed that the vehicle downshifted on its own. The contact slowed down the vehicle and continued driving. The dealer was contacted by telephone and stated that there was a recall for the failure. The manufacturer was notified and confirmed that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V248000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 28,400.

- Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Jan 152015

F-150

While my vehicle was warming up it began to shake and a wrench icon came up on the vehicle's screen. The vehicle would only only go about 5 miles per hour and was shaking. I drove it to dealership and the mechanic did a update on the computer. Couple of weeks late the vehicle did the same thing. The dealership does not know why this is happening. This was about a year ago and hasn't happened again. Was wondering why my vehicle isn't part of the recall?

- Mankato, MN, USA

May 042016

F-150

On 3 occasions the transmission would not shift out of 1st gear. Two of these occurred when pulling onto a 50mph roadway. I was able to pull to the side of the road, turn off the truck and restart the truck. The transmission worked properly after that. On the most recent occasion I had been slowed down by an accident on the freeway. After clearing the accident I accelerated to get up to freeway speed but could not go over apx. 20 mph because the transmission would not shift out of 1st gear. I was in the middle lane and could not get to the side of the road to shut off and restart the truck. After shifting to first gear manually (auto transmission) I was able to manually shift the automatic transmission through the gears and had normal transmission operation after that.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 072011

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle downshifted erratically causing for the vehicle to lunge forward. The contact drove the vehicle to the dealer and the diagnosis was that the downshifting was a normal function of the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the same failure since it was purchased in 2011. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was informed that he VIN was not included in a manufacturers recall related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,500.

- Valencia, PA, USA

Apr 232016

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while reversing, the transmission failed to shift into gear as the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician made the contact aware that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V190000 (exterior lighting, power train). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was mileage was 15,000.

- Tahlequah, OK, USA

Apr 062016

F-150

#1: driving down the interstate, attempting to pass a semi; vehicle lost power as I tried to accelerate and we had to coast to a stop. This has actually happened twice. The first time they replaced the intercooler and the second time I replaced the spark plugs. It occurred about three weeks after getting the vehicle it's regular service. If there was a problem with the gaps on the plugs, and they knew cars were losing power because of it, then they should have mentioned that at the service! #2: driving down the interstate and speedometer jumped around and went to zero. After I got off the highway, I lost power and had erratic shifting while trying to cross an intersection. There's a tsb out for this too!! why isn't there a recall if there's a defective part that creates dangerous situations!"!"

- Frisco, TX, USA

Apr 192016

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving 70 mph, a clicking sound was heard from the instrument panel and the speedometer failed. The vehicle veered to the right independently. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road and restarted it, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission oil filter failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Stephens City, VA, USA

Apr 032016

F-150

At 50 mph while accelerating in traffic the engine shook and I lost power. This only happens with the ecoboost engine. Ford told the NHTSA this was corrected and the suit was ended. Ford will not install this repair in my truck.

- Bellmawr, NJ, USA

Mar 042016

F-150

While driving at any speed (70) mph the transition will down shift into low gear causing the rear tires to skid, engine RPM to spike. This happens without warning and if on wet or snow-covered roads you would not maintain control. I feel this needs to be a Ford recall before someone is killed from loss of control or getting rear ended by a semi caused by the sudden stopping of the affected auto.

- Caledonia, MI, USA

Apr 022016

F-150

Under acceleration the vehicle shudders, and shakes. It seems to lose power for seconds before it picks back up. Has happened several times while pulling my camper and passing vehicles on highway and interstate. The other day while driving down the parkway the truck down shifted from 6th gear to 1st or 2nd without warning. I was almost rear ended and had to drive off onto the shoulder to avoid the collision. I have contacted Ford and I will be taking the truck in for warranty work on Wednesday April 6th 2016. I only have 3K miles left on power train warranty and none left on bumper to bumper. I purchase Ford vehicles cause of there long lasting and reliable reputation. I have two children and wife that I expect to keep safe while driving this truck. I hope Ford will look deeper into the problems at hand, dont be like GM and kill people before you fix the issues.

- Meridianville, AL, USA

Feb 162015

F-150

I have taken my truck in several times for transmission problems and Ford refuses to do anything about it. I can be at a total stop with my foot on the brake and the noise it is almost as if somebody has ran into me. Rear axle and drive train are also making noises. I have attached a document that I have received from rod baker Ford for how many times the truck was brought in.

- Rosharon, TX, USA

Mar 102016

F-150

My F-150 supercrew 4X4 with ecoboost engine began misfiring on hard acceleration situations, such as merging and changing lanes on the interstate. After approximately 2 months, the issue has gotten worse to the point of misfiring under normal acceleration. The jerking from the misfire condition is quite violent, and I believe to be unsafe. This is a known issue related to the design of the trucks intercooler. Condensation builds during prolonged highway driving, particularly in humid climates. I am in Arizona, but I drive 50+ miles a day on the freeway. The NHTSA dropped their investigation of this unsafe condition, apparently agreeing that Ford's tsb was sufficient in dealing with the matter. My truck is not under warranty, however it exhibits a design flaw that is unsafe. How is there not a recall on this? disappointing.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 122016

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the trs system malfunctioned, which caused the vehicle to drive in reverse when prompted to switch gears. The vehicle was diagnosed, but not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 127,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 012015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the RPM's started revving excessively high and loud without depressing the accelerator pedal. The speedometer, the tachometer and the gear selector also failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the body control module and the transmission change sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 189,000.

- Green Cove Springs, FL, USA

Oct 012015

F-150

At 68,000 miles while driving 65 mph the truck goes from 6th gear to 2nd cause the truck to shutter and jerk at a high rate of speed and loss of control in rush hour traffic. The RPM's spike to 7000 as the truck tries to get back into gear. I also experienced going from 1st gear to 5th gear while starting out leaving me stuck out in traffic because it doesnt have the RPM's to get into 5th gear. After the 1st experience of this happening I took my truck to the West herr Ford dealer where I bought it. The service department couldnt duplicate the problem so there was nothing they could do. Over he next month this happened several more times this time with the kids in the truck so I took it back to the dealer however this time I was able to capture a video of my instrument panel when it went from 6 to 2. the dealer agreed there was a problem but couldnt duplicate it so nothing they could do. I took it to another Ford dealer who sent my video to the factory. The factory indicated they have never seen the problem. There recommendation was to go part by part and no guarantee of the problem being fixed. I took my truck to a transmission shop and they indicated that there is a known problem with the 2011 Ford transmissions. I had to have the transmission rebuilt as a result of the dropping gears. The solenoid in the valve body was defective causing the transmission to have gears jump. After getting the truck back I experienced the same problem. As it turns out the replacement solenoid from Ford was faulty requiring it to be replaced.

- Clarence Center, NY, USA

Oct 012015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle independently downshifted from sixth to first gear without warning. As a result, the rear end of the vehicle seized. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,000. Updated 03/16/16

- Delton, MI, USA

Sep 292015

F-150

Driving on highway at 70mph, I saw my speedometer momentarily drop to 40mph. It did it again about 15 seconds later, and downshifted to about 4th gear momentarily. About a minute later, still at 70mph the speedometer dropped, and the transmission downshifted to 1st gear! my rear wheels locked up, and I lost control, and fishtailed for a few seconds. Luckily I had taken a half day vacation and was not in rush hour traffic. Still other cars had to swerve to keep from being hit. The dearlership was able to reproduce the problem, and replaced a moulded plastic module made by Continental that I think contained the transmission speed sensor. So it appears that when the transmission speed sensor signal is lost, the failure mode is to downshift to 1st gear no matter the speed of the vehicle.

- Dearborn, MI, USA