2011 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 11)

Jan 102016

F-150

Upon downshift during acceleration, the truck shudders, misfires, backfires through exhaust system, and loses power while creating a violent shake in the drivetrain. This occurs in below 35 dry or wet weather. This issue destroyed my catalytic converters, as well as broke loose the baffles in factory muffler causing over $2,000 in repairs for exhaust. I further replaced plugs, and plug boots. The vehicle continues to have this severe issue, and the only way to keep from further damaging the vehicle is to pull off the road, and idle as well as rev engine for several minutes. It is extremely unsafe, and nearly caused other vehicles to rear ended me on at least 5 occasions. All of which I had to jump onto shoulder of road or in median to keep from getting hit. My research shows that this is a common problem amongst owners of this vehicle. I currently owe $22,000 on this vehicle, and am quite frustrated with the lack of a recall from Ford. Solutions of a walker cac are known; however, Ford is not willing to even consider paying for this fix. Please help in the resolving of this issue?

- Lindale, TX, USA

Jan 022016

F-150

Upon returning home from work, I parked the truck in the driveway. The next day, I went to the truck to go to work and the truck had rolled back and partially into the street. When I got into the truck, it was in park. When arriving home from work that evening, I again parked in the driveway, placed the truck in "park" and when I took my foot off the brake, the truck rolled back in a jerky motion. I now have to park in my driveway using the emergency brake, to prevent the truck from rolling back into the street. The distance the truck rolled back was approximately 4 feet and it seemed to happen slowly enough that it wasn't noticeable until the next day. This happened the day after new years 2016 and to date, I haven't addressed the issue through the dealership.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Dec 292015

F-150

While traveling at 40 mph on country road three times and once going down the hwy. At 65 mph the transmission down shifted to 1st gear very violently with no warning. Noticed the speedometer also dropped down to 0 and bounced around as this happened. This has happened all in the past week.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Oct 112015

F-150

Fault log code P0234, turbo noise hissing, cutting out. Loss of power. Poor acceleration. Coolant leeks, oil leeks. Returned to corning Ford for more service work. Original service October 11 / 2015. Second service December 28 / 2015 coolant leek, turbo hissing, cutting out hissing when under acceleration. Condition when in motion on city street and highway driving.

- Red Bluff, CA, USA

Oct 012011

F-150

1. rear defrost and side mirror defrost fuse continually blows. Started appx 3 yrs and at 42,000 miles 2. steering column locks up when turning left at a slow speed in cases such as pulling into or out of a driveway or parking spot or making a U turn. At high speeds on the interstate vehicle floats to the left and it is hard to straighten, almost as if there is no power assist.(I understand Ford recalled some but not all 2011 F150's for a steering rack replacement (started around 4 yrs/ 55,000 miles 3. transmission takes about 10 seconds to engage into reverse upon starting in the morning or on cold days when vehicle has been parked for mare then say 5 hours started around 6 months/ 6,000 miles.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Nov 292015

F-150

Ford F150 3.5L ecoboost completely looses power when accelerating in passing gear. Vehicle shutters and bucks severally and does not allow any type of acceleration to be able to exit into slow lane interstate traffic. Normal operation returns after about 1.5 minutes of coasting and then gently applying accelerator to regain vehicle control. During the recovery time the engine runs very rough as if timing was completely out of sync.I drive 1000 miles per week on interstate 95 and this condition is ongoing. I experience at least 2 or 3 of these episodes per week when I try to accelerate to pass another vehicle. This is a safety concern to me because the vehicle looses power completely and does not recover until 1.5 minutes later. The check engine light comes on very time this condition occurs. When reading the error codes it only show misfiring of all cylinders (code P0300).

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Oct 262015

F-150

On October 26 was on my way to work I was on loop 250 which is 60 mph. Got on the loop was approaching an over pass when suddenly with no warning lights it starts jerking, a pulling, shaking. Took foot off gas pedal looked at dash no warning lights on but the speedometer and gears on dash were going crazy going up and down. Slowing down applying the brake slowly cause lots of traffic behind and I front of me. I was shaking and very upset finally pulled over and turned truck off called my husband I told him what happened. He asked if the truck turned on it did I took it to dealership going very slow. My husband met me there and I told them what happened. I was very shaken up almost in tears. This is a saftey issue im like what if the truck would have caught one of those gears when it was going up and down from 1-6 or reverse I would have flipped that truck. Please please investigate this problem before it happens to someone else and is hurt or killed. It is Nov 1 and they still have not even diagnosed my vehicle. I want it fixed correctly but 1 week and not even looked at yet. That is my only vehicle and it's been very inconvenient getting to work.

- Midland, TX, USA

Oct 282015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated without warning. The contact mentioned that when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle shook violently intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Kingston, MA, USA

Oct 262015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle began to shake and the speedometer and the gear shift indicators fluctuated violently as the vehicle decreased in speed. The vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000. Updated 02/12/16

- Midland, TX, USA

Sep 152015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While the vehicle was parked and the key was removed from the ignition, the instrument cluster lights remained illuminated. The failure caused the battery to be drained completely. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The contact had to disconnect the battery in order for the lights to stop illuminating. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the computer was not able to read the gear shift while in the park position. The technician stated that the gear shift needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46,200.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Jun 062015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving at 50 mph, the vehicle independently reduced to 15 mph without warning. The vehicle was restarted and the wrench warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. MA 10/25/15

- Richland, MO, USA

Aug 012015

F-150

We drove the vehicle 6 hours with the air conditioner on.... parked it - started it again about 2 hours later. The vehicle revved very high, barely chugged as we drove and then the yellow "wrench" light came on - indicating transmission issues as well as a "limp home" mode. We were unable to drive the vehicle at that point and had to keep it parked.... after doing some research - we discovered that condensation had gotten into some sort of condenser and caused the eco-boost engine to misfire and essentially malfunction.

- Holmen, WI, USA

Aug 132015

F-150

Driving at 65 went to accelerate on highway felt loss of power followed by a shudder then flashing engine light. It is a ecoboost

- Gregory, MI, USA

Jul 062015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. When the gear was shifted, the vehicle failed to drive in reverse and the rear lights would not illuminate. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact indicated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V190000 (exterior lighting, power train). The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the same failure listed in the recall. The failure mileage was 250,800.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jun 022015

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While shifting from reverse, the transmission jerked and the reverse tail light failed to illuminate. In addition, the reverse lights would not illuminate when the brake pedal was depressed. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V190000 (exterior lighting, power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000. Updated 09/21/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. The consumer would like for the vehicle to be added to the recall list. Updated 3/29/2016

- Tylertown, MS, USA

Mar 162015

F-150

On several different occasions after starting my Ford F-150 ecoboost I experienced difficulty stopping the vehicle when approaching an intersection. My spouse complained that the vehicle "took off" after she put the truck in reverse in the driveway. I complained about this issue to the dealer on 3/16/15 saying that I was unable to stop at a stop sign. I told them it felt like I was being pushed into the intersection. My initial feeling was that the engine was overpowering the brakes. The turbo can be heard spinning up after a cold start. I am unsure if it is really brake or engine/transmission related....updated 09/15/15

- Peoria, IL, USA

Jun 162015

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that upon starting the vehicle and attempting to shift into reverse, the vehicle would hesitate. The contact observed that the reverse lights were not working. The check engine and tool warning lights were also illuminated. When the vehicle was shifted between drive and reverse the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the transmission sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000. Update 01/13/16 MA updated 01/19/16.

- Neptune Beach, FL, USA

May 112015

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. When the vehicle was shifted into reverse, the reverse tail lights were not illuminated and the "R" was not illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure recurred each time the vehicle was shifted into reverse. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission sensor was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V190000 (exterior lighting, power train). The approximate failure mileage was 135,000...updated 06-16-15

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Jun 202013

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

The truck loses acceleration when shifting to a passing gear. The check engine light comes on, and you have no power. This has happened four times. The Ford dealership has changed out the fuel injectors each time. It is currently in the shop and they have not been able to fix it yet.

- Dayton, TX, USA

Jan 242015

F-150 8-cyl

At my house, the driveway is sloped. I had just parked the truck, turned the engine off, but left key in accessory position. My two daughters were in back seat (3 and 8 years old) watching a movie. I walked into my garage to drop off coffee, went back to the truck to retrieve pastries and then walked them into garage. I was out of the truck for 3-4 minutes. I went back to truck and took my three year old out of her car seat. She sits in rear seat, passenger side. I had her in my arms when I opened passenger side front door, reached across to remove keys. When I removed the keys from the ignition the truck began rolling down the driveway. My 8 year old was 1/2 out of the truck when it began to roll. I quickly put my 3 year old down and grabbed the 8 year old out of the truck. The truck was making a metal clicking sound the entire time it was rolling. Truck rolled down the driveway, across the street and into the neighbors yard. Their tree stopped the truck from rolling further into the yard and their house. The truck was still in park when I went inside to start it back up to move it back into the driveway. I drove it the Ford dealer about an hour later. Ford dealer and fomoco were involved for several months. Eventually a 'specialist' was flown in to look at truck. In the end, they claim there are no mechanical defaults and therefore, they are not responsible. They are unable to answer any questions as to how the truck did not move for the 3-4 minutes it was on the driveway when I was back and forth to the garage. They also have no explanation for how the truck rolled even though it was still in park when this happened. End results is Ford claims they never repaired or modified my truck. I have no way to prove they did or did not repair anything during the periods of time they had my truck in their possession.

- Anaheim, CA, USA