2011 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

Mar 062013

Generally speaking with a new vehicle I "baby" a new vehicle until I get over 75,000 mi. First incident - noticed around 40,000 mi. When accelerating to pass at highway speeds the vehicle shudders and doesn't have power. Thought it was bad gas, turbo lag, or intermittent transmission issue. Problem occurred a few times over the years, every time was during acceleration to pass or merge on to expressway conditions. Keep in mind since I was in the babying mileage range I rarely performed such acceleration. But after a couple of occurrences, I discussed this with a friend that also owns an ecoboost and he thought the same reasons. I have 7 year 100,000 extended warranty so I thought I would wait until the problem occurred frequently enough to easily trouble shoot. Of course frequency wouldn't be enough until after I get out of the "baby" stage on mileage. Currently the vehicle has over 75,000 miles. I no longer baby it. Problem occurs every time I accelerate to pass at highway speeds. Also, I have had the problem when accelerating to enter highway traffic from ramp. The ramp occurrence appears to be when I'm at a speed and then accelerate. Not sure if the problem happens when accelerating from a stop or slow speed. I'm concerned this may lead to an accident and potential a life threatening or changing event. What is one life worth? I guess that depends on if its yours. I believe this is a life threatening event and know that drivers like myself once aware pay attention and proceed with caution and this is the reason there hasn't been life lost, or no one has proven this was the root cause to accidents that have occurred. I fear for those who are not aware of this issue and that they may discover it at the wrong time. Please do something to help.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 162015

2011 F-150 XLT will not go into reverse or other times when you put it in reverse the vehicle behaves like it's in neutral then will suddenly shoot backwards (does this in drive as well-forward). When this occurs the backup lamps do not illuminate and the backup camera does not function and the instrument panel does not display the what status the vehicle is drive/reverse etc.... I took the vehicle to my mechanic who immediately informed me the vehicle was under recall (NHTSA campaign #12V190000). He printed the service bulletin and recall info. I took the vehicle to Ford where I was told my VIN # did not fall under the recall despite the fact it's the same exact model transmission, vehicle, and issue to the letter. It should be known that many more vehicles are affected beyond the initial recall. This has the potential to be an extremely dangerous defect as the vehicle lunges backwards/forwards without any indication of the status of the vehicle and while the vehicle's safety features are not working properly.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 152014

My 2011 F150 4X4 rear end limited slip differential appears to be locked up. At about 20,000 miles my gas mileage dropped from 18.4 to 17.1 and a whining noise is now present from the rear differential. Also you can hear the rear tires skip during slow turns at corners or in parking lots.

- Carleton, MI, USA

Jan 032015

Rain, misty, wet conditions. 2011 Ford F150 ecoboost. Went to pass on two lane straight, flat highway. Accelerated in to left lane. Upon rapid acceleration vehicle immediately decelerated and lost power. Let off of gas pedal and tried to accelerate again. After pause vehicle came up to speed and I was able to pass safely. If someone was right behind me, trying to pass slower vehicles as well, they could have possiblyrun in to me. Ford has placed it's ecoboost owners in an unsafe condition.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Sep 172014

F-150 8-cyl

While towing my camper at 60 mph up an incline my 5.0L F150 began to lose power, as I increased pressure on the accelerator the power to the vehicle decreased even more. The service engine light came on and I limped up the hill at a whopping 20mph on the interstate. Once on the downgrade the vehicle came back up to speed and the service engine light went off. The truck continued to have power issues and a knocking from the motor when I was climbing hills. I took the vehicle to the Ford garage and they told me there were no codes to tell them what was wrong. The vehicle still has the apparent miss and knocking sound at certain RPM's and now has an issue starting for the first time of the day. I again took it to the Ford garage when the starting issue was happening and they told me again that the vehicle still had no codes to explain this problem. I tried all of the easy fixes but the vehicle still has the same starting and power loss issues and Ford can not tell me what is going on with my vehicle. My best guess is a catalytic converter issue, but I can do nothing about it until I know for sure.

- Shawnee, OK, USA

Dec 172014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35-40 mph and driving up an incline, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that a retro kit had to be placed onto the turbo boost. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Luling, LA, USA

Dec 072014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I accelerated from a stop and the engine lost power and went to idle. The check engine light came on steady and the engine would not accelerate from idle. I turned off the engine and restarted and was able to accelerate past idle. After traveling about 1/2 mile the engine again lost power. I again restarted the vehicle and was able to travel home (approximately 15 miles). All the while the check engine light stayed on steady. A similar event occurred while towing a 30 foot travel trailer while on the I-80 freeway near rawlings June, 2014, although that time the engine shuddered violently and the check engine light flashed on and off. After pulling to the side of the freeway the light stopped flashing and I was able to accelerate normally without having to restart the engine. The engine shudder has occurred several times since and has been reported to my Ford dealer (mission valley Ford truck in san jose, ca). The dealer was not able to duplicate or capture any computer defect codes after doing a computer scan.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 192014

F-150 6-cyl

The ecoboost engine Ford introduced into the F150 (and other vehicles) in 2011 seems to be having common and widespread problems, including my vehicle. I first reported this issue to the dealer with about 30,000 miles and now again at 63,000 miles. The safety issue is revealed under any acceleration "event" such as highway merging, passing, towing etc. Under acceleration the vehicle "chokes" and will not accelerate as the driver & passengers experience the vehicle stalling, shuddering or bucking. This is often described as the vehicle going into "limp mode" operating on fewer than all cylinders. The problems appear to stem from dysfunctional intercooler operation on this twin turbo engine. There are two different scenarios described in F150 blogs. One, most common, is that the cooling of the air via the intercooler causes condensation to accumulate inside the air intake. When the driver accelerates, the increase in air volume draws the moisture into the fuel delivery system and causes the engine to misfire, which the driver experiences as an engine stall, bucking or shuddering. The second scenario reported is that there is an overheating of air into the fuel deliver system which causes early detonation of the fuel mixture in the cylinders causing roughly the same symptoms. My vehicle repairs are costing me almost $700 - which would be more if I did not have an extended warranty. The dealer is replacing 6 spark plugs, 4 coil boots that have overheated and cracked, installing a new intercooler shield - none of which they are standing by as a dealer covered expense. Ford needs to be held accountable for this defective design for both consumer safety and financial reasons. Someone may be killed trying to pass or enter a highway as their vehicle suddenly looses power.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 012014

I was driving on the highway at 60 mph and my rear end locked up and it almost had a major accident. I searched on line for recalls and on the 2011S they have been having problems with the transmission. I contacted Ford and they said that there are no recalls at this time. I found 5 recalls on 2011S F150:1 recall id 68928 electrical system,2 recall id 90589 exterior lighting,3 recall id 84274 structure body,4 recall id 91590 power train automatic transmission,5 recall id 90588 power train automatic transmission control module. The dealership checked my truck and told me that the valve body wiring harness is bad and the repair will cost around $850 to repair. The repair shop said that they have been having problems with the 2011 models but no recalls. This is a safety issue and its serious. If I had been driving 75 mph and my rear locked up on me, it would have not been good and it could have caused a major pile up including injury to myself and others and possible. This problem needs to be looked at and investigated before something happens. I appreciate your time. Thanks

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Nov 202012

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 4 mph, the vehicle shifted from first to second gear, which caused the vehicle to jerk. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing and the boot was replaced on the transmission but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Covington, LA, USA

Oct 292014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

During acceleration to pass another motorist, truck exhibited multiple misfires causing truck to lose power and trigger the sel light. After that, the truck would not accelerate and was actually losing speed on the freeway. My truck now coasting, I had to maneuver my vehicle through traffic going much faster than me, to the right shoulder where I had to eventually shut the engine off and start it back up again. Truck then idled very rough and I preceded to exit the freeway because I didn't want to be in that dangerous situation again.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jul 022012

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

This has happened numerous times. While driving down the road at high speeds the vehicle automatically shifts into first gear causing a rapid slow down and difficulty controlling the vehicle. I took the vehicle to the dealer numerous times for this action telling me there was nothing wrong with the power train. To date there have been many esb's on the vehicle and I was not notified of the many issues occurring with this model even though I took it to a qualified Ford dealer. Now that the warranty has expired I am now being told all of these issues need to be fixed even though the problems were know prior to the warranty expiring. This is fraud on the part of the dealer and of Ford corporate.

- Perryopolis, PA, USA

Sep 172014

While driving on I-20 from dallas to lubbock, I attempted to pass a vehicle in the on-coming lane. When I hit the gas pedal, the truck went into vigorous shaking, and the engine lost all power to accelerate. I was three hours into the trip, the truck had been cruise controlled for over 60 miles, and it had been raining the entire way. When the truck did this, a vehicle (in on-coming lane) appeared and I had to slam on the brakes to return behind the car I attempted to pass. The shaking of the truck made it difficult to control and I had to pull over in fear of my safety, and ultimately my life. Had I not acted when I did, I might have been seriously injured or killed. Dealerships are unable to replicate the problem because it has not been the same conditions as my experience. This problem needs to be fixed before someone gets killed.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Sep 222014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Just purchased my vehicle. Then take it in for service for rotors that's are shot with 25K on it. Find out the last guy blew the turbo chargers at 4000 miles N traded it in. The vehicle shudders from take off. Then shifts hard. Also shifts hard from reverse to drive. Noone wants to admits there's problems. Dealers keep says oh its ok. Not true. I want a new vehicle. I just got it. They can shove it. Losses power when it wants to. I plug a charger into the ports the radio goes static. I mean wtf.

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Jun 012013

F-150 6-cyl

There is a problem with the engine misfiring at moderate to hard acceleration. This really bothers me. As I have talked with Ford mechanics I have been told that Ford has no fix for this problem. From what I have read and studied, this is a problem with condensation in the intercooler making its way to he injectors. Once you put your foot on the gas pedal to accelerate you experience a sometimes violent stutter and the vehicle not accelerating but instead sounding like it's going to explode. I have also heard this happens when its humid outside. Regardless, one day I'm going to need to accelerate away or from something and the truck is going to fail, causing me to get hit or killed. I have found fixes to the problems including a full race intercooler, plugs and wires, however I don't think I should have to spend over $1000 for something Ford released knowing it wasn't ready, or up to par. I've owned my vehicle for over a year now and its 0% better even using top octane fuel. Please help...

- Palmetto, GA, USA

Sep 042014

F-150 6-cyl

I have a Ford F150 ecoboost. This vehicle is very defective due to loss of power when driving on highway trying to overpass other vehicles..vehicle looses power due to moisture or humidity that enters the intercooler. It also makes the cylinders to misfire and the turbo. Due to that engine turns on and I have to power to my vehicle while driving which can cause an accident due to a sudden slow in the middle of the highway.. I have three kids and I wouldn't want any accidents happening due to this.. Ford needs to do something about this vehicles I lost my money on a worthless piece of you very disappointed because I've spend so much money on repairs are not working.

- PeŅItas, TX, USA

Sep 122014

F-150 6-cyl

While driving at about 45 mph there was a total loss of power. The engine continued to run but missing badly. Coasted off the road, stopped and when ignition was turned off and restarted the problem corrected itself. This has happened 2 times in the past two weeks. The dealer won't do anything because there is no error code recorded. This condition could be dangerous in heavy traffic or pulling a trailer.

- Alabaster, AL, USA

Nov 152013

Traveling freeway speed, inside lane, sudden and complete loss of engine power, orange check engine (wrench) appears on display. Got to roadside, appeared to go into limp mode. Truck moved at own (slow) speed, I had zero throttle control. Exited freeway, shut down and restarted, issue gone. Road conditions were wet, sleet, de-icer on roadway. With traffic all around, on slick roads, this was some scary stuff right there!

- Algona, WA, USA

Jun 292014

F-150 6-cyl

While attempting to pass a slower vehicle on a two lane road, my truck lost all power and the check engine light began blinking. I was in the on-coming travel lane adjacent to the vehicle I was passing when the incident occurred. The incident nearly caused an accident as the vehicle I was passing slowed down when I lost power an I was unable to immediately get over. I coasted with a rough running engine to the shoulder and shut off the engine. When I restarted it a few minutes later it ran a little rough and the check engine light remained on. Research shows that this is a know issue for this make model with the ecoboost engine. The Ford dealership, while having a tsb in place for the issue, did not notify me of the issue and will not cover the cost of the recommended service under either the power-train warranty or my Ford extended warranty (bumper-to-bumper has expired). This is a huge safety issue and this should be a recall from Ford to fix these issues and they apparently will not take the initiative to do so on their own. The incident occurred in southwestern Missouri on a day in which it had been raining off and on.

- Edgewater, MD, USA

May 202013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate beyond 30 mph. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing; however, they were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Collierville, TN, USA