2011 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 11)

Apr 092015

F-150 6-cyl

I was traveling 45 mph on dry roads/good visibility/good weather in 6th gear when without warning the transmission shifted from 6th gear and finally ended in 1st gear - during this time the engine rpms exceeded 6000 rpms - I immediately shifted into neutral in order to reduce the engine RPM. Needless to say controlling the vehicle when this occurred was a major safety concern. I then shifted from neutral to drive and all was well. Last Sunday after church the transmission would at first not shift from 1st and then went to 5th gear and remained in 5th gear till I put the transmission in neutral and then back into drive. This event has occurred 4 times this far.always when the engine and transmission are cold!!!

- Athens, AL, USA

Jul 152014

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving at 20 mph and shifting gears, the contact smelled a strong burning odor inside the vehicle and heard an abnormal noise near the rear of the vehicle. The starter defect warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical program had to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Waynesboro, MS, USA

Mar 122015

F-150 6-cyl

Without warning the transmission began downshifting and upshifting by itself. Vehicle went from 5th gear to third, back to fifth and down to first. Vehicle skidded as a result. Brought people to dealer. They explained that there was not a recall currently, but that there was a service notice and that this had happened other vehicles.

- Stanley, NC, USA

Mar 172015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Loss of power. Missfire. Engine light came on and would not go off. Ecoboost 3.5 V6. Moisture problem getting in to cause problems. Turbo cooler problem. Truck is in service now on date above.

- Interlochen , MI, USA

Feb 202015

F-150

Follow up to complaint listed below (beginning with summary): It should be noted that this incident did not occur in humid or rainy conditions. This incident did not occur while traveling at highway speed or wide open throttle. This incident occurred while starting from a complete stop under light acceleration turning left across traffic. Vehicle lost all power and would not move. Pushing the gas pedal did increase engine RPM but vehicle would not move. The behavior exhibited by the vehicle sounds very similar to the condensation problem I have been made aware of with the 3.5 V6 ecoboost. However none of the circumstances Ford claims causes the issue existed. This is an extremely dangerous condition. Weather was approximately 15 degrees and sunny. I have experienced the problem when the vehicle has been cold and after it has been running for a while. Summary: While attempting to cross oncoming traffic lanes to access interstate vehicle began to move then suddenly lost all power. RPM's went up to 4000 RPM but vehicle would not move. Vehicles were approaching in excess of 50mph. I managed to barely avoid being struck by oncoming traffic and pulled to side of ramp. Vehicle then began to move again. Took vehicle in for service. Dealership performed two fixes involving some form of air dam. On 02/24 vehicle did the same thing luckily in a parking lot this time. This is an extremely dangerous condition which leaves no error codes so far. I am seeing many similar complain ts online. Taking vehicle in for service again on 3/3/15 as the issue occurred again today 3/2/15.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Feb 232015

- Peoria, IL, USA

Jan 252015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Going up hill, stepped on gas, transmission shifted down one gear, let off gas and engine died. It showed low oil pressure on dash. Steering was hard (had to pull to side of road). Vehicle was then towed. Oil dip stick was pulled out and will not go back in. Latter discovered engine is seized up for no know reason.

- Kettle Falls, WA, USA

Mar 062013

F-150

Generally speaking with a new vehicle I "baby" a new vehicle until I get over 75,000 mi. First incident - noticed around 40,000 mi. When accelerating to pass at highway speeds the vehicle shudders and doesn't have power. Thought it was bad gas, turbo lag, or intermittent transmission issue. Problem occurred a few times over the years, every time was during acceleration to pass or merge on to expressway conditions. Keep in mind since I was in the babying mileage range I rarely performed such acceleration. But after a couple of occurrences, I discussed this with a friend that also owns an ecoboost and he thought the same reasons. I have 7 year 100,000 extended warranty so I thought I would wait until the problem occurred frequently enough to easily trouble shoot. Of course frequency wouldn't be enough until after I get out of the "baby" stage on mileage. Currently the vehicle has over 75,000 miles. I no longer baby it. Problem occurs every time I accelerate to pass at highway speeds. Also, I have had the problem when accelerating to enter highway traffic from ramp. The ramp occurrence appears to be when I'm at a speed and then accelerate. Not sure if the problem happens when accelerating from a stop or slow speed. I'm concerned this may lead to an accident and potential a life threatening or changing event. What is one life worth? I guess that depends on if its yours. I believe this is a life threatening event and know that drivers like myself once aware pay attention and proceed with caution and this is the reason there hasn't been life lost, or no one has proven this was the root cause to accidents that have occurred. I fear for those who are not aware of this issue and that they may discover it at the wrong time. Please do something to help.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 162015

F-150

2011 F-150 XLT will not go into reverse or other times when you put it in reverse the vehicle behaves like it's in neutral then will suddenly shoot backwards (does this in drive as well-forward). When this occurs the backup lamps do not illuminate and the backup camera does not function and the instrument panel does not display the what status the vehicle is in...ie drive/reverse etc.... I took the vehicle to my mechanic who immediately informed me the vehicle was under recall (NHTSA campaign #12V190000). He printed the service bulletin and recall info. I took the vehicle to Ford where I was told my VIN # did not fall under the recall despite the fact it's the same exact model transmission, vehicle, and issue to the letter. It should be known that many more vehicles are affected beyond the initial recall. This has the potential to be an extremely dangerous defect as the vehicle lunges backwards/forwards without any indication of the status of the vehicle and while the vehicle's safety features are not working properly.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 152014

F-150

My 2011 F150 4X4 rear end limited slip differential appears to be locked up. At about 20,000 miles my gas mileage dropped from 18.4 to 17.1 and a whining noise is now present from the rear differential. Also you can hear the rear tires skip during slow turns at corners or in parking lots.

- Carleton, MI, USA

Jan 032015

F-150

Rain, misty, wet conditions. 2011 Ford F150 ecoboost. Went to pass on two lane straight, flat highway. Accelerated in to left lane. Upon rapid acceleration vehicle immediately decelerated and lost power. Let off of gas pedal and tried to accelerate again. After pause vehicle came up to speed and I was able to pass safely. If someone was right behind me, trying to pass slower vehicles as well, they could have possiblyrun in to me. Ford has placed it's ecoboost owners in an unsafe condition.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Sep 172014

F-150 8-cyl

While towing my camper at 60 mph up an incline my 5.0L F150 began to lose power, as I increased pressure on the accelerator the power to the vehicle decreased even more. The service engine light came on and I limped up the hill at a whopping 20mph on the interstate. Once on the downgrade the vehicle came back up to speed and the service engine light went off. The truck continued to have power issues and a knocking from the motor when I was climbing hills. I took the vehicle to the Ford garage and they told me there were no codes to tell them what was wrong. The vehicle still has the apparent miss and knocking sound at certain RPM's and now has an issue starting for the first time of the day. I again took it to the Ford garage when the starting issue was happening and they told me again that the vehicle still had no codes to explain this problem. I tried all of the easy fixes but the vehicle still has the same starting and power loss issues and Ford can not tell me what is going on with my vehicle. My best guess is a catalytic converter issue, but I can do nothing about it until I know for sure.

- Shawnee, OK, USA

Dec 172014

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35-40 mph and driving up an incline, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that a retro kit had to be placed onto the turbo boost. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Luling, LA, USA

Dec 072014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I accelerated from a stop and the engine lost power and went to idle. The check engine light came on steady and the engine would not accelerate from idle. I turned off the engine and restarted and was able to accelerate past idle. After traveling about 1/2 mile the engine again lost power. I again restarted the vehicle and was able to travel home (approximately 15 miles). All the while the check engine light stayed on steady. A similar event occurred while towing a 30 foot travel trailer while on the I-80 freeway near rawlings wyo.in June, 2014, although that time the engine shuddered violently and the check engine light flashed on and off. After pulling to the side of the freeway the light stopped flashing and I was able to accelerate normally without having to restart the engine. The engine shudder has occurred several times since and has been reported to my Ford dealer (mission valley Ford truck in san jose, ca). The dealer was not able to duplicate or capture any computer defect codes after doing a computer scan.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 192014

F-150 6-cyl

The ecoboost engine Ford introduced into the F150 (and other vehicles) in 2011 seems to be having common and widespread problems, including my vehicle. I first reported this issue to the dealer with about 30,000 miles and now again at 63,000 miles. The safety issue is revealed under any acceleration "event" such as highway merging, passing, towing etc. Under acceleration the vehicle "chokes" and will not accelerate as the driver & passengers experience the vehicle stalling, shuddering or bucking. This is often described as the vehicle going into "limp mode" operating on fewer than all cylinders. The problems appear to stem from dysfunctional intercooler operation on this twin turbo engine. There are two different scenarios described in F150 blogs. One, most common, is that the cooling of the air via the intercooler causes condensation to accumulate inside the air intake. When the driver accelerates, the increase in air volume draws the moisture into the fuel delivery system and causes the engine to misfire, which the driver experiences as an engine stall, bucking or shuddering. The second scenario reported is that there is an overheating of air into the fuel deliver system which causes early detonation of the fuel mixture in the cylinders causing roughly the same symptoms. My vehicle repairs are costing me almost $700 - which would be more if I did not have an extended warranty. The dealer is replacing 6 spark plugs, 4 coil boots that have overheated and cracked, installing a new intercooler shield - none of which they are standing by as a dealer covered expense. Ford needs to be held accountable for this defective design for both consumer safety and financial reasons. Someone may be killed trying to pass or enter a highway as their vehicle suddenly looses power.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 012014

F-150

I was driving on the highway at 60 mph and my rear end locked up and it almost had a major accident. I searched on line for recalls and on the 2011S they have been having problems with the transmission. I contacted Ford and they said that there are no recalls at this time. I found 5 recalls on 2011S F150:1 recall id 68928 electrical system,2 recall id 90589 exterior lighting,3 recall id 84274 structure body,4 recall id 91590 power train automatic transmission,5 recall id 90588 power train automatic transmission control module. The dealership checked my truck and told me that the valve body wiring harness is bad and the repair will cost around $850 to repair. The repair shop said that they have been having problems with the 2011 models but no recalls. This is a safety issue and its serious. If I had been driving 75 mph and my rear locked up on me, it would have not been good and it could have caused a major pile up including injury to myself and others and possible. This problem needs to be looked at and investigated before something happens. I appreciate your time. Thanks

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Nov 202012

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 4 mph, the vehicle shifted from first to second gear, which caused the vehicle to jerk. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing and the boot was replaced on the transmission but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Covington, LA, USA

Oct 292014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

During acceleration to pass another motorist, truck exhibited multiple misfires causing truck to lose power and trigger the sel light. After that, the truck would not accelerate and was actually losing speed on the freeway. My truck now coasting, I had to maneuver my vehicle through traffic going much faster than me, to the right shoulder where I had to eventually shut the engine off and start it back up again. Truck then idled very rough and I preceded to exit the freeway because I didn't want to be in that dangerous situation again.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jul 022012

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

This has happened numerous times. While driving down the road at high speeds the vehicle automatically shifts into first gear causing a rapid slow down and difficulty controlling the vehicle. I took the vehicle to the dealer numerous times for this action telling me there was nothing wrong with the power train. To date there have been many esb's on the vehicle and I was not notified of the many issues occurring with this model even though I took it to a qualified Ford dealer. Now that the warranty has expired I am now being told all of these issues need to be fixed even though the problems were know prior to the warranty expiring. This is fraud on the part of the dealer and of Ford corporate.

- Perryopolis, PA, USA

Sep 172014

F-150

While driving on I-20 from dallas to lubbock, I attempted to pass a vehicle in the on-coming lane. When I hit the gas pedal, the truck went into vigorous shaking, and the engine lost all power to accelerate. I was three hours into the trip, the truck had been cruise controlled for over 60 miles, and it had been raining the entire way. When the truck did this, a vehicle (in on-coming lane) appeared and I had to slam on the brakes to return behind the car I attempted to pass. The shaking of the truck made it difficult to control and I had to pull over in fear of my safety, and ultimately my life. Had I not acted when I did, I might have been seriously injured or killed. Dealerships are unable to replicate the problem because it has not been the same conditions as my experience. This problem needs to be fixed before someone gets killed.

- Lubbock, TX, USA