2011 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Nov 182013

F-150 6-cyl

3.5L ecoboost engine failed to accelerate after a brief rest area stop while raining. Attempted to rejoin highway traffic on highway on ramp but engine shuttered and lost all power nearing causing a collision with a semitruck. I had to pull over on to the hard shoulder and restart engine to get vehicle to operate properly. Vehicle was received back from Ford for the 5th time for this exact same issue 1 week prior. Cac was changed again to the newest version, cac shield was installed and newest programming was installed. All tsbs for the 3.5L have been done trying to eliminate issue with no success. Live data showed engine load of 99% and 3 psi of turbo pressure at time of failure.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Dec 082012

F-150 6-cyl

While driving, rear wheels lock up for a few seconds, then truck shakes and has no acceleration power. This is happening at least once weekly now with loss of power lasting from 10 to 45 seconds. Not safe when in traffic. Local dealer says they can't find anything wrong and that they have no tsb on it.

- Millstadt, IL, USA

Sep 252013

F-150 6-cyl

Crossing table rock dam on dry, flat, level pavement after letting off gas in anticipation of stopping at upcoming light rear tires locked and went into skid squealing brand new Michelin tires with less than 500 miles on them. Nobody was directly behind me or would have caused wreck due to sudden deceleration with no brake lights since no brake applied. Tires squall like old vehicles with no ABS when brakes locked up. An employee was riding with me at the time and it scared both of us. Had we not been out of town and dependent on truck getting us home we would have not driven it again. After returning home truck did it a second time a couple of weeks later driving in town down stadium blvd at about 35 mph. Rear tires lock, skid and squall. In addition earlier intermittent hard downshifts that feel like someone hits you from behind but not a full lock condition as these two recent incidents. Also intermittent stalling when pulling away from stop light, stop sign, out of parking lot, or out of driveway - especially after idling. Stalls, hesitates, bucks, vibrates, giving it gas does not result in vehicle responding. Usually on "easy" acceleration meaning when just easing off from stop. Intermittent transmission sticking in 1st gear and won't shift out. Finally vehicle sometimes "surges" after putting in gear on cold start or when letting off gas and coasting - it actually picks up speed and lunges forward for just a second. There is something wrong with all the sensors and the computer is causing the engine / transmission / ABS brakes to behave in strange and unpredictable ways. My father, wife, and employee have all witnessed one or more of these issues while riding with me but intermittent so unable to replicate. Ford case opened but no resolution. Tell me drive it until it breaks so they can find problem but unsafe to do so.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Feb 082012

F-150 6-cyl

Rainy day traveling on highway 19 near crockett, Texas. Tried to pass slow moving vehicle and engine stalled, check engine light came on and started missing. Lost power and I was forced on the side of the road to avoid collision. Took truck to dealer and he installed a small plate over inter cooler. Several months later while passing on a humid day same thing occurred with same results. Pulled to side of road because I could not get back into my lane due to other cars. Took back to Ford in October, 2013 and they installed another plate on bottom of intercooler and reprogrammed the computer. I have no faith in the repairs and will probably never try a pass in any humid or wet weather.

- Montgomery, TX, USA

Jun 162012

F-150 6-cyl

First incident: After driving in the rain for a couple of hours, trying to accelerate out of a toll booth - the vehicle started to accelerate then suddenly lost power. It began to shudder and flash the engine light. After about a minute, the issue cleared up. Dealership pulled code then performed a tsb which installed a shroud over the cac. Incident two one year after first repair: Same scenario as first incident - pulling out of a toll booth after driving in the rain the truck lost power and engine light flashed. A minute later it recovered and resumed normally. After an argument with the dealer (they could not pull a code), they ordered and installed a new cac and shroud. Incident three two weeks after second repair: Pulled out to pass a slow moving vehicle. Truck lost power as it did in first two incidents. Engine light flashed then remained on steady. Had to abort the pass. Vehicle is returning to dealership pending diagnostics. There is an obvious defective design in these vehicles that could potentially result in a serious accident. Imagine pulling out of a toll booth in front of a tractor trailer truck and loosing all power to move. Not good. The value and safety of my vehicle is compromised. It needs a definitive fix or replacement.

- Bristol, NH, USA

Jun 062012

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle vibrated as the contact passed another vehicle. The accelerator pedal was engaged with force however, the vehicle failed to increase speed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer four times and on one occasion, the catalytic converter was replaced. The failure continued after the repair was performed. The spark plug coils were also being replaced by the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Sep 292013

F-150 6-cyl

The vehicle experienced a rough idle then upon acceleration, severe shuddering and lack of power. Check engine light turned on and began flashing. Vehicle is equipped with a 3.5L gtdi engine. Vehicle then continued to experience complete lack of power and shudder while being driven to the dealership.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jul 312013

F-150

Attempted to pass a car. Speed at time of attempt was 55mph. Time 2:20 P.M. and partly cloudy. Two lane road but had plenty of time to pass or an accident could have occurred. Pushed down on accelerator and the engine actually decreased speed/significant deceleration. I let up on gas pedal, maintained speed then was gradually able to pass. Think the turbo had stalled. This had happened once before, shortly after I purchased the truck. At that time I was merging onto interstate and it stalled out, for a shorter duration. After the July 31 incident, I took the truck to Ford to inquire about the issues some owners have had on the eco boast engine, which I have. No codes appeared so I was told they couldn't do anything. Then talked to regional customer service and got the same story. I am very concerned as I use the truck to tow a 26' trailer. When the eco boast turbo works, I have plenty of power to merge or pass. The above experience was scary and I did not have the trailer behind me at the time. Now I feel I can not reasonably depend on it to work as it should. I think it is the turbo but it could be the electronic gas pedal, or the transmission but I really do not think these are the issue. Please help! thank you.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Sep 052013

F-150

While accelerating to 75mph or so, up slight hill from 65-70 mph went to pass a vehicle then truck lost vast majority of power even with all the way down and began to violently shake. Could have easily cause accident since wasn't abble to accelerate as planned to match speed of other lane. Check engine light came on. Truck continued to shake violently off and on for next mile before stopping. Problem is still ongoing under any moderate acceleration that goes over ~2000 RPM

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Jul 172013

F-150

On several occasions and more frequently as of lately, I am losing acceleration capability when I am trying to accelerate at any speed. When I try to accelerate from a stop or uphill, I feel like the engine won't go or is bogging down. To try and compensate, I try to accelerate more which only seems to make the problem worse. I have already taken it to the Ford dealer and they replaced a part on the transmission, but the problem still persists and is only get more frequent.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Aug 202013

F-150 6-cyl

When merging into I-75 traffic I pushed the gas to accelerate and the truck sputtered and missed, lost 90 percent of its power and went into limp mode. I was lucky I didn't get ran over. This truck has the 3.5 liter ecoboost engine. Unfortunately, this has happened before with no success getting it fixed. It is at the dealer now and I am having to pay to repair this well known defect.

- Soddy Daisy, TN, USA

Mar 082013

F-150 6-cyl

Issue started again on 10 Aug. 2013. When under mild to heavy acceleration (such as merging onto interstates) the engine develops a significant miss and shudder. Vehicle was repaired once on 20 Mar. 2013 under tsb # 13-3-3. weather does not appear to be a factor. The "miss" was so severe with a K&N air charger high-flow intake kit installed that I had to reinstall the stock system. This was a none issue eventually because the Ford dealership would not place the vehicle on diagnostics until I had reinstalled the stock kit.

- Laurinburg, NC, USA

Jan 202013

F-150 6-cyl

Well I have an issue with my trucks I have purchased from Ford. Well in August of 2011 I purchased the new F150 with ecoboost. The truck drove like a dream for a while then I started having issue, with the transmission, then engine losing power. This happen about 4 time during the life of the truck.the last time was in January 2013, it was the last straw for me. The reprogrammed the trans/computer and put a wind deflector in the front of the intercool. Still lost power on a road trip on the way back home from S Carolina. Mind you the truck was in the shop for tran/engine/the right fender had to be adjusted it was misaligned, the bed of the truck same thing. This lost of power almost caused me to have a accident because I was merging onto the highway. I also had to sunroof replaced as it was vibrating the whole truck when moving. The driver seat track was replaced and the sliding glass window in the back was replaced too. The defrost stopped then the window stopped sliding. I stopped driving the truck so I could get rid of it I have a 2013 limited and have some of the same issue. Now that I have a new 2013 vehicle I experience some of the same issue.

- Lithonia , GA, USA

Aug 082013

F-150 6-cyl

Loss of significant power under slight to moderate acceleration, engine shutters violently, shakes and miss-fires. Check engine light flashes. Engine seems to run on 50% power loss, letting off accelerator for awhile then engine seems to recover temporarily until additional power is needed. Unable to have any confidence to pass any vehicles on grades. Quite possible for complete power loss under full acceleration as the engine misses so bad that it actually slows down and looses RPM's. I have owned this truck since new. Symptoms started in dry climate, no rain and have continued to get worse as I have entered into rainy areas with humidity.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jul 282013

F-150 6-cyl

Second occurrence of the engine losing power while towing a camper over 100+ miles at highway speeds then adding power to climb a hill. Driving 65 mph on the highway, over a 1.5-2 hrs drive, approaching a hill while towing a camper, accelerated to climb the hill and the vehicle again, dropped from 65 to 40 mph in about 30 seconds. Engine stuttered and would not respond to throttle control to gain speed to climb the hill. Took vehicle into dealership no problem found, about a week later, there was an inefficient catalytic requiring the replacement of the left catalytic converter. This occurred post having the ecoboost fix that Ford Motor Company stated would resolve the problem and it is still occurring. Odbc 2 data logger captured the incident recording engine speed, engine RPM, and engine load (%).

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Dec 092010

F-150 6-cyl

Misfire - shifting issues in transmission.

- Magalia, CA, USA

Jul 152013

F-150 6-cyl

Ecoboost engine. Loud clattering on cold start. Runs very rough, exhibits propensity to stall when idling, and very sluggish acceleration coupled with transmission issues. Example 1: coasting on the freeway with traffic around 40mph, shifted lanes, then made attempt to accelerate and pass another vehicle, but the vehicle did not downshift. Accelerator will be down to the floor, and truck will remain stuck in a low gear (like 6th) and go nowhere...zero acceleration...after a few more tries, and a few seconds later, the transmission will slam into 2nd gear, shaking the entire truck. At this point, the turbos kick in and the truck takes off like a rocket. Creates 2 dangerous situations, a potential rear-end accident by the lane change without acceleration, and then the sudden, rapid, unpredictable acceleration of being randomly thrown into 2nd gear. Seen various other incidents like this in other scenarios and various gears. Accelerating out of a traffic circle, or out of a turn, is an easy way to see the problem. Truck has basically lost its ability to accelerate/downshift on demand. Example 2: stopped at a stop sign. When I then proceed into intersection...acceleration is very slow, then all of a sudden turbos kick in resulting in rapid unpredictable acceleration. Often times, the wheels will spin, and if the road is dry, the truck will bounce up and down all over the road! accelerator will in the same position the entire time. I have rapidly accelerated towards cars that I didn't want to get that close to. I now have to stay even further away from cars to maintain a safe distance due to unpredictable acceleration. Frustrating, because the problem is frequent now, but inconsistent. I have 2 kids in booster seats, and now I have to be especially careful when I drive with them in this truck because I feel it's unsafe.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jan 302012

F-150 6-cyl

I bought this vehicle 12/2011 with 19,800 miles on it (it was manf. 12/2010, sold in orlando, fl in 01/2011 and traded in 10/2011 and was used as a rental truck) as a certified pre-owned (cpo) from maroone Ford margate fl. There was a problem that when I was driving at a low speed <5mph the shift between 1-2 would sometimes be real hard (engine @ 3000rpm+) so this dealer checked and 'fixed' it with greasing the 2 part drive shaft. They told me that the wrong grease was used when the vehicle was built and needed to use a new grease. This happened again around the end of 2012(around 35K miles) and maroone Ford miami 'fixed' it again by greasing the drive shaft. Now it is happening again (8/2013) and this time they did not find anything wrong. It still happens and I am going to take my vehicle to a different dealership that is not maroone/autonation and see if they can 'fix' my problem. Also I am reading that now I am having problems with the drivers side lights rapid flashing but not the pass side or when the hazards are on so I googled and it seems that there are problems with the BCM (body control module) and that I have found is behind the drivers side rear seats on a super crew. The dealership (maroone/autonation) had not done anything to check if my vehicle was on a recall as far as I know and now I have to go to another dealership and also bring this up (and I doubt they would even know about it either). I was told by maroone/autonation that if anything is found to let them know. What" I have to pay to let their techs know their job" Ford should never have done a 2 piece driver shaft with a slip yoke or quit with things like the mechanical flasher relays even with pwm/canbus. This now becomes expensive to fix and not everyone is going to go out and buy a new vehicle. Next time will be a Toyota because they are driven in the deserts around the world, not Ford.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 012012

F-150 6-cyl

Six months after I bought my truck I noticed a shuttering and hesitation while I was on the highway. The shuttering happens when I am cruising at 55-60 mph. More noticeably when the truck is climbing a slight incline on the road while lightly accelerating to maintain 60 mph. I had the dealer look at it 3 times in the last 2 years. The first time they reprogrammed the transmission and the computer. It did not solve the problem. Brought it back the second time and I went for a ride with the technician and he noticed the shuttering. He said there was no engine light and no codes to find out what the problem is. Finally the third time they said Ford is aware of the problem and there engineers are trying to find a solution. I also had problems with my transmission. I was slowing down to come to a stop and the transmission downshifted so hard I thought I got rear ended by the vehicle behind me.

- Hudson, NH, USA

Jun 092013

F-150 6-cyl

The first time this happened, my husband was pulling out into a center turn lane in order to merge with traffic and the motor cut out and bogged down. Just four days later, I had the same experience where the motor completely cut out while I was going through a yield sign, slowing down, and then getting on the accelerator to increase speed. I counted between 3-5 seconds before the truck started accelerating again. This is very dangerous and had someone been right behind me it could've been a bad wreck. It happened to me this first time right after I picked my truck up from the dealership and them telling me my VIN didn't qualify for the tsb with replacing the cac (intercooler) and adding the air deflector plate. I have since gone to a second dealership and they are performing the tsb for me after having my truck for 5 days now, and being able to reproduce the problem easily. I hope this fixes it. I've already had a check engine light come on and my driver's side catalytic converter was replaced. I've had numerous leaks all under the 36,000 mile warranty - front main seal, transmission leak, rear diff leak, and even some deteriorating rubber gaskets in the doors, and am seriously questioning Ford's quality these days.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA