2011 Ford F-150 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Apr 242015

I own a 2011 Ford F150 FX4. While my truck is parked and engine off and doors locked the dash backlight stays illuminated and drains the battery completely. Z this begin about 6 months ago. Around 55K miles on it. I have to unhook my battery when I get out of the truck to prevent my battery from draining. I found if I unplug battery for about 10 min I find the backlight will not come on for about days. Also, my drivers side back door will not unlock remotely or inside the car. It can only be locked or unlocked manually.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Oct 212015

Vehicle parked overnight on city street. Started vehicle in ~45 degree weather and activated rear defrost. Over-current through defrost caused windshield to shatter. Small amounts of smoke were produced, vehicle was turned off.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Sep 152015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While the vehicle was parked and the key was removed from the ignition, the instrument cluster lights remained illuminated. The failure caused the battery to be drained completely. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The contact had to disconnect the battery in order for the lights to stop illuminating. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the computer was not able to read the gear shift while in the park position. The technician stated that the gear shift needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46,200.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Dec 012014

Power rear window glass has factory flaw causes rear window defroster and heated mirrors to become inoperable. There has been hundreds, if not thousands of cases of this issue. Ford will not issue a recall. They do not cover it in their top tier extended warranty programs. I was quoted over $1000 to replace whole back glass to rectify. Ford has since changed vendors for the complete back glass unit and still no recall.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jun 302015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 5 mph and depressed the brake pedal to stop at a stop sign, the anti lock brake warning indicator illuminated. The brake pedal was pumped and the vehicle slid into the intersection. The failure recurred on two other occasions. On the third occasion, while driving approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal failed to respond when depressed. The brake pedal was pumped as the contact slid into an intersection. The contact clipped the rear of a Jeep that was traveling approximately 60 mph, causing the Jeep to flip over twice before landing upright. The contact and the driver of the other vehicle sustained injuries that required medical attention and were transported by ambulance. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a body shop, but the failure was unable to be determined. The damage to the vehicle was repaired. The contact also stated that when the windshield wipers were powered off, they would independently swipe across the windshield approximately every ten seconds. The contact stated that the fuse had to be removed so the windshield wipers would disengage. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Scottsburg, IN, USA

May 012015

In May 2015 my 2011 Ford F150 3.5L ecoboost began making a buzzing noise in the front left fender well under the hood. From that time forward the truck makes the noise upon start-up. Once the vehicle runs for a while the noise seems to fade away but returns upon restart. A technician tried to diagnose the noise at a local repair shop but to no avail. The noise has gotten worse which prompted me to take the truck back to the repair shop to diagnose again. This time I did some research on the matter and noticed that there was some concern about the vacuum pump in some of these model trucks. Upon picking up my truck the technician informed me that he thought it was the vacuum pump and that I should take my truck to the dealership to have them diagnose the problem and that the part is only available through Ford at this time. I made and appointment with the Ford dealership with the service manager about the noise. He was familiar with the problem and said that 9/10 times the vacuum pump is the problem. He explained that Ford had switched vendors for the part and redesigned the pump in newer models and issued a (tsb) regarding the pump. Since my truck was just outside the warranty period he said I would have to pay for the repair, which was quoted at more than $900. The service manager told me that the part was on back order until mid August 2015 and that I should schedule to have the repair completed then. I asked if there was a safety hazard associated with continued driving and he said, "no, the only thing that could happen is you could lose your brakes or possibly 4 wheel drive, but you'll notice that the brakes are heavy if its going out completely." I feel that Ford should be responsible to replace the defective part that they acknowledge as a problem and have redesigned, and which can cause brake or 4 wheel drive failure putting myself and my passengers at risk.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Nov 012013

This model F-150 has a known problem in that the electrical defrost on the rear window stops working. The repair is a $750 new window that Ford refuses to fix, nor guarantee once they do fix it. It is happening to a lot of F-150 owners, and this is a safety concern, as the window will remain fogged or snow covered in winter driving months. Again, Ford is aware, as this problem has affected many F-150 owners, as verified by a google search.

- Beckley, WV, USA

Sep 012014

Loud bang with rear defroster on (light flashing)- no broken glass but had to remove 2 fuses to keep glass from exploding while driving as many have already reported to this site. Now no rear defroster available.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Feb 062013

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The battery was disengaged and reconnected. After waiting ten minutes, the vehicle restarted. The failure recurred intermittently. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V128000 (electrical system). The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who replaced the body control module. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. Updated 7/16/15 the consumer stated since the body control module was replaced there were no failures. Updated 11/13/15

- Marietta, NY, USA

Mar 202015

While traveling a long duration at a consistent mph, low RPM, and low turbo boost pressure I began to climb a hill where more acceleration was needed to maintain mph. At time the vehicle rapidly slowed, engine light cam on, tried to add throttle to stay out of the way of approaching traffic but just continued to slow. This happened while traveling from las vegas Nevada to reno Nevada. I replaced the ignition coils and that solved the problem only to have it happen again in less than 5K miles in the same driving conditions

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

May 112015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. When the vehicle was shifted into reverse, the reverse tail lights were not illuminated and the "R" was not illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure recurred each time the vehicle was shifted into reverse. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission sensor was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V190000 (exterior lighting, power train). The approximate failure mileage was 135,000...updated 06-16-15

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Apr 302015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

While driving at 65mph on a highway in ga with my rear window defroster on, with an exterior temperature in the mid 50S, I heard a very loud bang which I initially thought was a rock kicked up by the vehicle in front of me. When I reached my destination, I found it was the passenger side rear window panel that had shattered due to the defroster overheating and was still intact because of the factory tint applied to the involved window. It's obvious the defroster was the cause because the spider webbing began at the corner/base of the window where the heating connections are in place and now my rear window defroster does not work when I attempt to activate it.

- Pooler, GA, USA

Mar 282015

Started the truck in the morning (temperature was 45) and the battery light came on. Took it and had it check and had the battery replaced. After the battery was in, they ran a test and said the alternator was charging too much and the light will come on again. Sure enough after a few seconds, the battery light came back on. Took it to the dealer (apple Ford in red lion, pa) I purchased it from and they said the alternator is bad and charging too much. There stated that there are no after market alternators for this make and year. So after paying $1055 for a Ford brand alternator, the truck was fixed. That is way too much money for an alternator. It is an outrage!! I checked around and I cannot believe that the price of this part is actually this expensive. I asked if they have heard about this problem, and the answer was no. I have been a Ford owner most of my life, but this may change my opinion on Ford trucks for my next purchase.

- York, PA, USA

Jul 152014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving at 20 mph and shifting gears, the contact smelled a strong burning odor inside the vehicle and heard an abnormal noise near the rear of the vehicle. The starter defect warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical program had to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Waynesboro, MS, USA

Mar 192015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Ford F150 FX4 with the power rear sliding window with defroster. The led light does not work to power the defroster and the rear window is also not defrosting. After searching on the internet if this does not get repaired the rear window has shattered. The dealer advised me there was no recall and replacement cost would be $1350.

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 272015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I turned the rear defrost on in my 2011 Ford F-150 and smelt a burning smell and then heard a pop the back driver side window tile had shattered.

- Altoona, IA, USA

Feb 152015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Turned on the remote start which apparently has a factory setting that the rear defrost automatically comes on. Come out to the vehicle and the passenger side rear slider is shattered.

- Saint Ann , MO, USA

Feb 192014

Rear sliding window defroster stopped working and driver's side heated seat also stopped working. Prior to heated seat stopping to work, it became so hot it actually made my leg so hot it hurt. If I was wearing shorts skin would of been burnt. At the time seat and defroster stopped working I smelled wires burning. Googled these problems I saw this is a very common occurrence. Took my truck to dealership, Ford will fix seat, but it will cost me $100 deductible. Rear window defroster is not covered by my extended warranty. At this time waiting to hear back from Ford. There are at least 20-30 complaints on this site about rear defroster, Ford needs to be held accountable for this defect.

- Ewing, NJ, USA

Aug 272013

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

We were traveling down the interstate when the red battery light came on. Shortly thereafter loss of power steering, loss of stability control (per dash indicator), and loss of power brakes. I have had the alternator replaced 2 separate times since for a total of three (3) alternators as well as one new battery. Now truck is in shop again for same malfunction. 2011 Ford F150 lariat. Crew cab. V-6 engine. Only 54000 miles and I am anticipating my fourth (4th) alternator. I use the truck in non-mountainous terrain, mostly highway for errands, and rarely tow. I believe a recall investigation should commence.

- Madison, SD, USA

Dec 302014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. While driving 65 mph, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The contact also stated that the entire electrical control panel failed and the instrument panel illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Weston , WV, USA