2011 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 9 of 17)

Mar 112014

F-150 6-cyl

Since owning a new 2001 Ford F-150 ecoboost, I have noticed several issues with the engine. Loss of power when accelerating, shuttering when braking and poor fuel economy. I have taken the vehicle in for service and they have applied technical service bullitins, but the issue returns. The latest problem was a failed coil pack causing my vehicle to almost stall on the highway. Ford didn't cover the part under their powertrain warranty.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Feb 192014

F-150

While accelerating the truck hesitates, looses power and jerks violently, the check engine light flashes several times while passing a vehicle. When the truck jerks and looses power it feels like the engine is about to explode. Has almost caused several accidents because of the sudden lost of power. It appears to me that the truck is misfiring.

- Mount Aukum, CA, USA

Nov 262013

F-150 6-cyl

Accelerating onto the highway, experienced loss of power while check engine light was flashing. Cars were swerving around me due to my speed being slower than the flow of traffic. I put hazards on and pulled over. This is not safe for me or drivers around me. Dealer said it was an engine misfire and replaced the spark plug and coil. Since this incident it has happened multiple times. The dealer replaced another spark plug and coil. I took it in the last time and they flashed my computer and sent me on my way. The problem is still not fixed on my truck.

- Carey, OH, USA

Dec 012011

F-150 6-cyl

Ecoboost F150. Loss of power when raining while towing. The truck started shaking, lost power and the cel flashed. We were nearly killed on the interstate. This happens every time it rains and we drive more that 45 minutes in the rain. My family no longer feels safe. Cars have ran off the road to avoid hitting us. I am afraid my family will be injured. Ford keeps sending me away saying they cannot duplicate the issue, (no kidding, it has to be damp and driven in for an extended period).

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Mar 022014

F-150 6-cyl

When passing on interstate truck lost power an went into a limp mode check engine light went to flashing which made the truck unsafe when other traffic was moving at a higher rate of speed.

- Monticello , AR, USA

Dec 172013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving my F150, V6 ecoboost engine, down the interstate, when I try to accelerate, the truck to pass vehicles and or move out of the way of on coming traffic, the engine gives me nothing and shutters, feels like it is missing. I originally started to feel this in 2013, took it to the dealership, cause I thought it could be a transmission issue, and the service rep only asked if a light came on and if none has come on, probably won't show anything. I am outside of my warranty now and the truck is shuttering very badly when I try to accelerate anywhere, besides my gas mileage has dropped significantly, which now can become a epa issue. I have read about a lot of issues concerning this year Ford with same engine with no outcomes. I have been told, once again that if I don't have a check engine light, then it probably wont show a code. I don't know where else to turn but to at least have a complaint filed where there is an issue with the 2011 Ford F150 V-6 ecoboost engine.

- Hoschton, GA, USA

Feb 142014

F-150

Has a problem with the turbo intercooler getting condensation and make the truck lose power check engine light starts to flash whole truck just shakes had it to the Ford dealer had to put a new cat converter on my warranty didn't cover any of it I said this is Ford screwup why don't they have a recall ended costing my $800 not to impressed Ford motors also intercooler was full of ice and water.

- Drake, ND, USA

Feb 102014

F-150 6-cyl

The vehicle lost power after accelerating to higher speed when entering the highway. This has happened multiple times when passing or entering highway at higher speeds.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Mar 312012

F-150

I was traveling in Florida on the highway and went to pass a semi. The engine sputtered and I lost power. The check engine light came on and I had to pull off of the interstate. I shut off the engine and restarted it. The check engine light went off and the engine ran fine. Several times since, the vehicle would sputter on hard acceleration and the engine light would blink. The latest time this happened, the engine light stayed on. When I took it to the dealer for repairs, I was told it was a faulty spark plug and coil and was not covered under the drivetrain warranty. The truck has done this several times since this repair.

- Ellijay, GA, USA

Feb 122014

F-150 6-cyl

I was traveling on the interstate where I live and was trying to get up to speed to merge with traffic and when I accelerated my truck lost power and began to sputter and shake, and would not get up to speed, and the check engine light came on, when I took to the local dealer where I purchased it I was told number 2cylinder and number 4 cylinder was mis firing, that I needed new coil packs so I had them replaced and I am still having the same problem.

- Brookwood, AL, USA

Jan 102014

F-150 6-cyl

I was on the enter state two lane thank god. It was raining and I started to accelerate to get around a big truck and my truck started to shudder and lost power all power. My truck has the 3.5 liter ecoboost engine. This is the third time this has happened to me.

- Cabot, AR, USA

May 012012

F-150 6-cyl

Truck started to shake violently when accelerating. Felt as if the wheels were loose or the U joint for the drive shaft was going bad. Had to let off the gas. Has been ongoing from the time I purchased the vehicle to present time.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Feb 112014

F-150 6-cyl

While trying to merge onto the highway while under medium to heavy throttle my 2011 F-150 ecoboost lost all power while shuddering to the point it I had to abruptly get out of traffic and pull off the side of the road. As this was happening the check engine light started to flash and continued for a few minutes. After sitting for a few minutes the truck behaved almost normal as long as engine RPM was kept under 2500 above that it continued to miss and have a loss of power. By the time I got it home the cel was(is) on continuously. This all happened during rush hour on a very busy socal highway and could have been catastrophic.

- Milton, FL, USA

May 282011

F-150 6-cyl

I have already reported this piece of junk but needed to add to the list". we, as of last week, are on our 15th rental while the dealer and Ford are trying to figure out whats wrong with it again?. the engine light has been coming on since the week we bought this junk and is still flashing while we drive?.. the dealer has asked Ford to put in a new engine several times but Ford for some reason wants the dealer to just keep replacing the same parts over and over again?? we have had several new sets of plugs.. the others crack and short out? we've had cam phasers and sensors replaced?? fast forwarding through many parts repeatedly replaced, the dealer now says there are parts sheared off in the engine and are asking Ford, once again to replace the engine". we are waiting on Ford to (probably) decline the dealers recommendation".. Ford stopped calling us back, we have left several messages and they just keep passing the buck onto the poor dealer, who has been trying to help us?.. Ford should have taken this lemon back long ago and gave us a new one?.. our 15th rental might be with us for some time while we wait on an answer?? we sometimes have our rentals for over a month at a time??. its nice to keep paying on time for a vehicle that we don't even have"(sarcasm).

- Florissant, MO, USA

Dec 302013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving at 55mph attempted to pass a vehicle on a two lane highway. Accelerated hard to pass and heard a loud metal on metal sound and lost power briefly. I was unable to replicate the initial incident, but now the truck randomly misfires and shutters under hard acceleration. Sometimes the check engine light will illuminate other times it does not. Dealer has been able to replicate the misfire but claims they can do nothing more. This is a safety issue because when power is needed most it is unreliable. I have escalated the matter to the corporate level at Ford but have not heard anything back yet.

- Lantana, TX, USA

Dec 292013

F-150 6-cyl

When I tried to accelerate the truck started to buck violently and lacked power. After releasing the gas pedal and coasting a bit I was able to slowly regain speed. It was raining at the time and had been raining most of the day on 12/29/14. We have not had a recurrence but have not had any rainy days either.

- Hobart, NY, USA

Jan 182014

F-150 6-cyl

Under acceleration between 60-70 mph, trucks starts shuttering and decelerating. The check engine light starts blinking and will blink for about a minute before staying on. I was nearly rear ended by a semi entering the highway today as I was trying to accelerate up to highway speed and at approximately 65 mph, the truck started decelerating and shuttering down to 35 mph before I could get enough power to maintain that speed and get off to the side of the highway.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 252011

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle became hesitant upon acceleration as the front end began shaking violently. The check engine warning light was also illuminated. In addition, the vehicle proceeded to accelerate forward at rapid speeds when driving 50 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the acceleration failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 8,000.

- Benton, AR, USA

Dec 242013

F-150

Coasting at low speed around 7mph I attempted to accelerate, instantly as I put my foot on the gas pedal, now not even making it to 10mph, the 3.5L ecoboost engine made an incredibly loud and hard bang and continued to grow louder and shake more violently. I came to a stop on the side of the road I shut down the truck to find oil spilling from the passenger side of the block. I had the truck towed to my local dealership and they found that two connecting rods had broke and destroyed the block. They is no concern from anyone at Ford about how this could have happened.

- Berwick, ME, USA

Jan 072014

F-150 6-cyl

I was driving in highway traffic in the right hand lane at about 70-75 miles per hour. The weather was clear and the temperature was approximately 50 degrees. I encounter a slow moving vehicle and moved into the left hand lane and tried to promptly accelerate to pass a slower vehicle. When I attempted to accelerate the vehicle began to shake violently and go into a very rapid deceleration. The violent vibration of the entire vehicle and rapid deceleration made control a challenge. I moved to the right hand lane reduced speed to 50 mph and continued on to a Ford dealership to have the vehicle evaluated. The dealership found that 3 coils failed which caused the vehicle to vibrate and decelerate rapidly. I had the vehicle repaired.

- Aubrey, TX, USA