2011 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Jul 172014

F-150 6-cyl

Luckily, there was not an incident in my case. I had a rear sliding window switch replaced under warranty. I also had an oil change and my battery terminals cleaned by the dealers service department. When I went to pick up my vehicle and began to drive off, I noticed a warning displaying the message "service advancetrac". I then left the vehicle with the service department again. When the service advisor contacted me to tell me what the technicians diagnosed, he said that the truck needed a new electric steering rack. He also told me that this part is on national backorder. After doing some research, I found that this is a vital part in steering functionality. I also read that if this part fails while you are driving, there is a serious risk of accident. I'm thankful that my truck wasn't moving when this steering rack went bad. But it concerns me that so many Ford owners have had this happen to them and that this is not a recall. I also think that if this part is on national backorder, there must be many people who are having this issue as well. I want to do my part to make the public aware that this part also went bad on my vehicle. I want to contribute to the numbers so that this can become a recall if the data shows it's necessary.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Mar 142014

F-150 8-cyl

The steering on my truck has started to stick and is getting worse all of the time. It started happening at low speeds and has since started to stick on the highway. It is bad enough that I have to pull the wheel to get the truck back in line.

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 012014

F-150 8-cyl

Lack of steering wheel return ability on left turns. Must be manually corrected.

- Quarryville, PA, USA

May 102014

F-150

Power steering became inoperable without warning causing vehicle to become difficult to steer or control. Vehicle was taken to Ford dealer where problem was diagnosed as a failed steering rack, rack was replaced and vehicle now operates normally. The sudden power steering failure could cause loss of control and a crash.

- Edmond , OK, USA

Apr 282014

F-150

Vehicle has just over 40,000 miles all highway. Vehicle is 4WD. Vehicle has never towed, hauled or been off road. Took vehicle to Ford dealership to have A/C serviced (which was noted having problems during warranty, but techs never found issue nor ran diagnostics) during the diagnostics the service tech stated there was a noise coming from the steering gear. *note the vehicle had been out of owner's possession and at the dealership awaiting A/C service for 4 days. Owner stated that there had been no steering issues or warnings displayed in the vehicle and had been operating without any problems. Dealership states that when they finished the A/C service that the steering ceased upon backing the vehicle out of the service area. Owner asked why the steering gear is not covered under the drive train warranty. The dealership advised that this issue is a common issue that is being encountered with the new Ford epas system and is not covered under the drivetrain warranty even though the vehicle's low mileage. Owner requesting that Ford pay for replacement due to it being commonly defective. Vehicle still in dealership's possession.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Dec 202013

F-150 8-cyl

On the night of Dec 20, 2013, I was traveling South on I81 North of syracuse NY. Road conditions were not very good. A block of ice fell off a truck ahead of me, evasive action was not possible due to ice and traffic volume. The ice struck the alternator which is cleverly positioned about 10" off the ground on the lower left front of the vehicle. The vehicle began to lose electrical power system by system. I cant recall the exact sequence, as it was all happening pretty fast. Eventually, the electric power steering system lost power. When this happens on this vehicle, you lose all steering capability. Its not like its just manual steering, there is no steering other than the ability to slightly alter course by pulling extremely hard on the wheel. The vehicle had no lights, the shoulders were unplowed, stopping wasn't a good idea. As good fortune would have it, the cicero NY exit presented itself at that moment. I was able to pull extremely hard on the wheel and was able to steer the slight curve. At the bottom, I discovered I had no breaks. I shot across the usually busy NY 31 and into a kwikstop, where I stomped on the emergency brake and came to a stop. We shortly discovered a fire underneath the engine and were able to extinguish it with snow. I cannot believe a steering system like this is permitted. Had I known it had this system and its limitations, id never have bought the car. If my son and I had been killed that night, it would have all been chalked up to road conditions. In furious about this system. It needs to be recalled.....now.

- Ogdensburg, NY, USA

Apr 172014

F-150

Steering locks when making right turns and then straightening out.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 252014

F-150 8-cyl

The subject pick up truck was southbound on I405 between orange ave and cherry ave in long beach California. The vehicle was in the fast lane or the lane adjacent to the fast lane. Speed at the time of the incident was approximately 65 mph and the cruise control was engaged. Traffic was moderate with all lanes moving at freeway speed. Without warning, and simultaneously with the sound of a skidding tire, the vehicle pulled violently and abruptly to the right, out of control, and crossed all traffic lanes of the freeway and the shoulder of the freeway. Just prior to departing the roadway, enough control was regained to avoid hitting a freeway directional sign in the landscape median. The truck entered the landscape median and came to rest facing South, parallel to the freeway. Approximately 10 minutes passed before the California highway patrol responded to the accident site. The officer said he was responding to an accident that was reported. The vehicle was towed to a local Ford dealer for investigation. Five to ten minutes prior to the loss of control, the driver noticed a fluctuation in the speedometer from approximately 65 mph to 50 mph with no change in vehicle speed, engine RPM or performance. Several weeks prior to the accident, the driver experienced an event at moderate speed which was described as feeling though the vehicle was hit from behind at slow speed although there was no one behind the truck. Simultaneously, the speedometer and tachometer both failed to 0 and the dashboard display went blank. Shortly thereafter, a "wrench" icon appeared momentarily on the display. The driver continued driving to a gas station and refueled. When the engine was started after refueling, all instruments appeared normal with no icons present. No icons re-appeared at any time up to and including the date of the accident. Updated 06/16/14

- Villa Park, CA, USA

Mar 062014

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed during cold weather. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 43,000. The VIN was not available.

- Mconnellsville, OH, USA

Nov 012012

F-150 6-cyl

When turning left sometimes the steering locks up. When this is happening if I were to take my hands off the steering wheel the truck would continue locked in a left turn. When this happens I must force the steering wheel back to neutral position. If on an uneven surface this appears to happen more often. Have taken truck to dealership to determine the cause. But nothing was done. The dealership said there was no problem. This happens at all speeds and has occurred at highway speeds as well as at slower speed.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jun 052013

F-150 8-cyl

While driving with a 5,500 pound camp trailer in tow the vehicle developed significant vibration and feed back from the road. The problem came about after approximately 20K miles on the truck. I would notice it primarily over joints in the road and any road imperfections also notice it and hear a clunking when off road on dirt roads. The clunking is intermittant but is there. It feels as if there is a loose component in the steering assembly which then can be felt in the steering wheel. I can notice both with trailer and without more when temperatures are higher such as 80 degrees or more. Not so much when cold but I am still able to get road feedback in the steering wheel at lower temps just not as bad. You can especially notice the vibration/feedback in colder temps if holding the steering wheel at its lowest point (bottom of wheel) while driving. I took the vehicle to the dealer several times and they allege they could not duplicate the problem. I have taken the vehicle back now 4 separate times and on the last time I showed the service adviser how I can grasp the steering shaft in the engine compartment and manually by hand turn the shaft back and forth as if in a steering motion and you can hear a loud clicking noise coming from somewhere either in the rack unit itself or the steering shafts. I am not sure where the noise is actually coming from but clearly in the steering assembly somewhere. I have great concern over safety and have now read many similar complaints including complete steering failure. Sounds like Ford does not exactly know how to go about repairs and so reluctant to replace any parts in case that does not fix issue. I understand that theory but wish they would at least try something for safety. If there is not a safety issue it is still an eerie feeling driving a truck at highway speed with looseness and vibration in the steering assembly.

- Morrison, CO, USA

Dec 202013

F-150

Slowed down to make a left turn when power steering quit working. It is gradually getting worse and now it is stopping working at various speeds and turning either right or left. The last event I was making a right turn pulling our of a parking place and the steering wheel snapped back while I was turning it hurting my arm.

- Quartzsite, AZ, USA

Jan 052014

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated while driving 60 mph, the power steering system malfunctioned as the contact lost control of the vehicle. The contact was able to pull over and shut the vehicle off. The contact restarted the vehicle and the power steering system worked momentarily. The failure recurred three miles later. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing which determined that the gear in the power system needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the gear replaced. The failure mileage was 24,000. The VIN was not available.

- Benton , LA, USA

May 092012

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that when driving the vehicle at any speed the vehicle would drift to the left. When the contact would steer the vehicle to the right in order to straighten the direction of the vehicle, it will drift to the right and into the next lane. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was able to duplicate the failure but advised the contact that the electronic power steering function was operating properly. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 5490.

- Fort Myers , FL, USA

Sep 222013

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the advanced track system warning light illuminated and the turn signals became inoperable. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test where the dealer stated that the steering gear assembly module malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The dealer replaced the entire steering system. The contact called the manufacturer and filed a complaint. The failure mileage was 40,487.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Oct 252013

F-150 8-cyl

I had my truck scheduled to have a leveling kit and new tires put on. Immediately after the simple install my truck gave an alert on the information screen saying "electric power assist steering fault. Took the truck down the road to nearest Ford dealer and after they ran diagnostic it showed it needed a complete new rack and pinion. $1278 worth without alignment. The mechanics shop who installed the kit is going to pay for it because it was fine before I took it to get kit + tires, however, I have read numerous stories online similar to mine that show the epas going out or that there having problems with it. Ford has had several updates to the epas models I'm aware, hopefully the new one going in will work and I won't ride away only to have a clunking noise to deal with in my front end like so many others I know.

- Perry, FL, USA

Oct 182013

F-150 6-cyl

Backed up from parking spot and put in drive and the steering quit working. Fault codes appeared for steering assy fault. Turned off and then back on but did not resolve the problem. Drove to dealership and they had to replace steering gear.

- Hallettsville, TX, USA

Sep 162013

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the power steering system malfunctioned and the vehicle became difficult to steer. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer, who stated that the entire rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the rack and pinion replaced. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Titusville, PA, USA

Oct 112013

F-150

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph and attempting a left turn, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 39,300.

- Fairmount, GA, USA

Aug 272013

F-150

This vehicle has a slight yet consistent knock felt in the steering wheel at various speeds, primarily while going over small bumps or cracks in the road. It feels as though something is loose or worn-out in the steering or suspension. The dealership that sold the vehicle checked out the truck on 9/23/2013 and said everything is fine. This is a grave concern as a failure in the steering system can be extremely dangerous.

- Colfax, IA, USA