2012 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Feb 052016

F-150

I have had my truck to the dealer for repairs, four times! the truck will actually go into żlimp modeż causing the engine to lose all power when accelerating, it takes about a minute to correct itself, but you have to let completely off the accelerator. If you depress the accelerator before it corrects itself the vehicle shutters violently and slows even more! this is a very hairy situation especially when your in heavy traffic on rt 95! the dealership tells me "unfortunately it's sunny out and we can't duplicate the problem "! it only does this when you go on trips during rainy days or in heavy moisture.I live in Maryland and have a second home in winston-salem nc. This has happened to me at least seven times whill couting between the two. All the dealership has done is put a so called water deflector on my vehicle, which did absolutely nothing! is it going to take someone getting killed before something is done about this widely known problem?

- Brooklyn, MD, USA

Feb 012016

F-150

I took delivery of this truck in March of 2012. The truck has had documented ongoing serious drivability, safety and reliability issues since October of 2013. The issue of immediate concern relates to ongoing misfire, back fire, and engine stall. This condition has occurred at low speed, highway speed, and while towing. The immediate loss of power and subsequent surging effects caused by this condition renders the truck hazardous to me, my family, and other motorists. This issue has been repeatedly reported to and serviced by Ford. I have also personally filed complaints and concern with Ford Motor Company. See Ford customer service case number 8603638. The misfire, back fire, and engine stall is the current ongoing issue but you will also see in the service history this vehicle has also experienced traction control, drive shaft, steering system, and sensor/electrical component failures dating back to may of 2012. It is my understanding Ford Motor Company is aware of this issue with the eco boost engine and drivetrain in my truck. This known issue was responded to by tech service bulletin 13-2-14. However, the mitigation measures of that bulletin and other subsequent service attempted to repair my truck have not been successful. Further, the service bulletin does not take into account the significant safety issue of a truck traveling public roads and experiencing sudden loss of engine power. Finally, I want to point out that the ignition/engine problems my vehicle experienced has caused premature failure to other components to my drive train. This includes fouled spark plugs, damaged coils, and likely accelerated end of life to other emission controls and mechanical components to the engine due to the misfire and water entering the combustion chamber.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Nov 272015

F-150

For two years the rear slider and defrost hasn't worked. When accelerating to pass the engine light comes on and the truck starts to chatter.

- Tiller, OR, USA

Dec 112015

F-150

20,484 miles on truck. 10/18/15 RPM's increase but doesnt shift into next gear. 10/19/15 roadside assistance towed to dealer. Dealer found no code, sent back to me. 11/17&11/22 driver seat lost memory. 11/28/15 RPM reved when brake was applied RPM's were still increasing. 12/2 brought to dealer no code on diagnosis, sent out again without troubleshooting 20,900 miles on truck. 12/8/15 RPM's reved didnt go into gear. 12/8/15 1hr after prior failure, tried to leave driveway and 2 attempts to engage drive it wouldnt move put truck in reverse then proceeded to put in drive, stuck in 1st gear for 2 blks. 12/10/15 my 5yr old granddaughter and I drove 4 blocks before truck shifted to 2nd gear. 12/11/15 truck did not seem to be running right heard a clunk upon leaving prk lot got across 4 lanes of traffic and truck failed to shift, wrench on dashed showed and went away, dash info had lines across instead of mpg and air bag light stayed on, dealer was on my way, this time code showed and was the torque converter. I ended up driving this vehicle 500 miles iwith the torque converter failing here and there until a code showed. This caused a very dangerous condition to all on the road and much unneeded stress. I am very concerned what other components have premature wear due to continuing to drive my truck in this condition. I purchased an extended vsc from dealer but unsure what it covers so Ford will not offer extended warrenty, only offering oil changes. I do not want anyone to go through this same dangerous situation. Please act on this before deaths start occuring. After reading up on the torque converter, the symtoms my truck experienced were exact along with the truck increasing RPM's although brake was applied. Instinct is you dont continue driving a vechile that doesnt shift even due to likelyhood of other components failing and dangerous conditions in traffic.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA

Nov 062015

F-150

F150 ups shifts hard when cold from first to second and third gear. It down shifts hard from 3ed to first gear when stopped at a stop sign. This morning while slowing down to merge into traffic it bogged down and started to die then all of a sudden it fixed itself. I bought it used and have had it for 3 weeks.

- Fletcher, OK, USA

Jul 162014

F-150

Back sliding window doesn't work, popping sound from the rear end when you accelerate from a stop.

- Tiller, OR, USA

Jul 062015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

July 6 lost power to truck engine at 60 mph when going to pass in hard acceleration situation. Truck engine shuttered for over 3 mins until I could get it stabilized around 2000 rpms in a lower gear/speed. This was the first of two similar situation on the same day with the truck and throughout the remainder of the day any acceleration over 3500 rpms caused a loss of power. We limped the vehicle home that day. Next day check engine light came on and off until we could get truck into our local Ford dealer for service on 7-13. This issue has been researched via info on this site to no conclusion. I can say if you drove this vehicle and simulated this issue you would see the major issue this causes and potential risk of accident at highway speeds with acceleration. Specifically heavy traffic situations. The issue caused spark plug damage, catalytic converter damage and the dealer performed the tsb (4th issued by Ford) to attempt to fix the issue. This is a known issue, causes safety issues and should be recalled to permanently fix not try to patch with four different tsb. Fix this correctly before accidents occur that cause deaths. Updated 9/25/15 updated 3/23/2016

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Mar 172014

F-150

24,991mi: Misfire when accelerating while driving. No check engine light. Dealer reported no problem found, no codes & made no repairs. 29,440mi: Misfire when accelerating & going up & down hills specifically when in 4,5, 6 gear during both flat & inclined highway driving. This was while pulling an 8000lb trailer. No check engine light. Dealer found misfire in #1 & 4 and replaced coils & plugs in #1 & #4 only. Test drive still showed misfire, then replaced turbo boost pressure sensor. I was told that moisture had damaged the plugs & sensor. 35,214mi: Misfire when taking off from a stop, during normal acceleration and going up hills.no check engine light. Dealer replaced the driver's side exhaust manifold because it was warped. 37,164mi: Misfire when taking off from a stop, during normal acceleration & going up hills. I saw this in acceleration conditions from 10-60mph without towing a trailer. No check engine light. Dealer reported no problem found, no codes & made no repairs. 38,577mi: Repeated severe misfires while going up moderate inclines. Check engine light came on (first time this ever happened) & I had a reduction in power, could not get out of 3rd gear & my speed dropped from 65mph to 50mph. After repair had moderate misfires during major inclines while towing a trailer but no check engine light. 39,000mi: While towing a trailer, experienced series of moderate to severe misfires in waves – be ok for an hour & then go into a series of misfires for 3-10 minutes. Some were on hills, some were on flat highway driving. I had 5 occurrences where the check engine light came on during this drive. 3 of these were during a hill climb where I had a power reduction & lost speed. Vehicle stayed in 3rd gear. When I would get a series of severe misfires, misfires were so severe (without the check engine light on), that I could hear & feel the turbo kick off & on..

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jun 052015

F-150

When attempting to accelerate from a complete stop the truck will only move forward when the pedal is fully depressed. When this is happening the truck barely moves then it will catch and lunge forward at break-neck speed. This same thing happens at approximately 30 mph, will be accelerating normally when all the sudden the RPM and speed gauges completely drop the engine losses all power and if the pedal is continued to be pressed the truck will lunge forward, again at break-neck speed. In a 10 mile trip it can happen 3 or 4 times. Today we had a new experience where when decelerating to come to a complete stop the motor began revving to redline all while only the brake was depressed. On green light the acceleration again was limited to full petal and a limp till burst mode. These events all scare the family to the point of not riding in the vehicle.

- Kent, OH, USA

May 212015

F-150

2012 F150, 5.0 V8 3 years off lot when July 4th gets here in 2015. 33000 miles and 4 of the spark plugs are shot, Ford tech said gaps are off. From factory. O2 sensor also shot. Working on it now, better be covered under bumper to bumper, because $1100 dollars is a lot to put into practically a brand new truck.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Apr 182015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I was merging on to the expressway and went to merge and mashed pedal to the floor the 3.5 ecoboost engine would not accelerate and lost power. I was almost run over by a tractor trailer truck. Had there not been a third lane for him to Dodge around me I wouldn't be sending this complaint, I would be dead. Ford has to find a fix for this problem immediately.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Apr 132015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

While attempting to pass a slow moving vehicle on a two lane road, the engine on my truck started sputtering, then lost speed and power very rapidly. At that point the check engine light started blinking and the truck almost stalled. Fortunately I was able to pull into a parking lot and avoid other drivers. Had an oncoming car been too close, or had I not had a parking lot to pull into, there was a strong possibility I would have had an accident. I have had this happen to a lesser degree in the past, but not to the extent I experienced above, nor did the check engine light ever start blinking. At the time I passed this off as being bad gas, my tires slipping or some other issue and thought no more of it. At this point I don't want others to get put into the same situation, which could result in someone getting hurt. Because reports of this happening to trucks of the same year, make, model and engine I felt compelled to file this complaint.

- Trenton, MI, USA

Jan 152015

F-150 8-cyl

Back out of garage turned steering wheel to left; put in drive pulled ahead, advance track light came on and service advance light also came on. If you don't reset light the signal lights don't work unless you hold the lever up or down it bring codes up C1B00 and U0428-20 andu2101 which dealer says steering sensor is bad but not serviceable so you need new electric steering rack. This is on a 2012 F150xlt and there is no recall but I think this is a safety issue, also I think it is a power train issue.

- Seaford, DE, USA

Jan 062015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

When there was snow and ice on the highways I put my truck in 4 wheel drive and when turned back into 2 wheel drive I began to notice a grinding and vibration noise that occurred when turning. Then couple weeks later the noise started when backing out causing truck to shake and lose power to barely back out. This noise continued and has gotten worse. Was taken to dealership and looked over. Updates were made as well as oil change but days later noise came back. Since 2/12/15 my truck has been in the service department four times and has performed recommendations by Ford but days later noise comes back. The last time my truck was in I was told by the owner and service manager my truck is not fixable as they were informed other 2012 F150's are having same issues and an investigation is being done. Since this my truck is shaking more backing up, jerking the vehicle on the highway as if losing power than will gain power and jolt forward, I hear this grinding noise all the time when driving at different speeds from 30-60 mph, turns, and backing up. The other issue is when truck gets to 60 mph or higher it does not shift down unless I let up on pedal and then push it again. I am feeling unsafe in this vehicle as twice now I have heard a popping noise while driving with this noise. The dealership has told me there is nothing more they can do. The issue has been reported to Ford and they have done nothing for me. I want to get rid of this truck as I do not feel safe driving it like this.

- Hutchinson, MN, USA

Dec 032012

F-150

At passing speeds or during acceleration the vehicle will stall and check engine light will come on and start flashing. It only does this when accelerated and has almost caused accidents. After numerous occasions of this happening the light has continuously stayed on and now it won't go off.

- Weaubleau, MO, USA

Jan 152015

F-150

Engine shut off completely a big wrench came up on the screen where the mpg and stuff are almost got rear ended due to rush hour traffic.

- Eldridge, IA, USA

Nov 032014

F-150

Differential lock activates by it's self. Light comes on instrument panel showing rear axle locked. Rear axle locks up at speeds below 20 mph. If stopped at a light or sign your rear wheels will drag as if the brakes are being applied. It can happen at any time. If going over 20 mph some times the instrument panel message center lights up and says you have to slow down below 20 mph to apply rear differential lock. Happens mostly in 2wd. This has happened for over 6,000 miles. Can be on dry pavement or rough surface. Have noticed that the 4WD mode switch on dash will seem loose and the knob will pull out if you hit a rough road surface. I have replaced the mode switch at my expense (1) time at my expense P/N cl3Z-14B166-ea. Dealer and Ford still trying to figure out problem. This causes vehicle to loose communications with obd circuit and several other modules. Not allowing system to download codes or to update parameters.

- Strawn, TX, USA

Jan 032015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

After driving in raining conditions for more than four hours, I attempted to pass another vehicle. When I accelerated, my vehicle began to lose power and shake violently. Because of this, I nearly cause a multiple car accident do to my inability to control my trucks rapidly reducing speed. The same issue or type of issue occurred in late August of 2013 while attempting to merge into traffic. Upon acceleration attempt, the engine reduced power, failed to respond and the vehicle shook violently. A Ford dealership completed tsb-13-8-1, however, it was reluctantly done as no code would verify a problem. The truck is currently at another dealership, who once I explained the problem I was having, told me that I needed to have tsb-13-8-1 performed. I mentioned it had been performed and was told that unless a code could verify a problem, nothing could be done. This is a well documented problem, with many occurrences. This vehicle is going to get someone killed if someone doesn't correct the issue. It is not something that can be "created" by a mechanic to, it only happens in real-life situations. Is there something someone can do to make Ford research, identify and correct this issue before even one death?

- South Mills, NC, USA

Dec 052014

F-150

Hear a whining noise coming from the transmission/rear of truck as truck accelerates, upon deceleration after and before down-shifting, and when cruising at a constant speed when transmission 'catches' to maintain speed. Researched and found tsb 13-6-4; truck was made between dates and describes noise accurately - spoke to Ford service center and truck fits within manufacturer dates of tsb, but not specific engine, just transmission. Told issue wasn't "recall worthy" because it isn't a 'safety' issue, but if my transmission locks up at highway speeds this will be a 'safety issue'.

- O'fallon, IL, USA

Aug 012014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

During hard acceleration after normal driving vehicle sputters/misfires heavily, no recall or adjustment has been available from Ford. Extremely dangerous in traffic and is keeping me from pulling any type of payload because I am concerned this will occur. I now have 41,000 miles on vehicle and it still does it, forced to drive the truck only under soft acceleration.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA