2012 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Mar 132013

F-150 6-cyl

Having recurring issues with Ford ecoboost engine on my 2012 F-150. Below is a summary of visits to the dealership for service related issues: 3/13/13- engine light on, shuttering, shaking, and won't go over 70 on highway. Dealership found no issues. 3/29/13- engine light on, shuttering, shaking, and won't go over 70 on highway. Dealership identified issue as bad cac intercooler and replaced per tsb 130303C. 7/9/13- engine light and misfire. Also, transmission slamming forward as if being rear-ended. Dealership coil #2 and spark plug. Not able to verify the transmission slamming?? issue. 10/30/13-filed a complaint with Ford customer service. Still experiencing intermittent cac intercooler symptoms and transmission slamming. 1/3/14- another dealership found that the new cac intercooler had been improperly installed without deflector shield. Also repaired transmission issue. 1/18/13- engine light on. Replaced catalytic converter bank. 1/27/14- contacted Ford customer service with new information. Ford forwarded this information to the regional dealership manager. 2/2/14- still having cac intercooler issues during snow storm. 2/4/14- Ford customer service closed claim. Never contacted by any dealership representative regarding my concerns. I feel that I am getting the run around from Ford on this particular matter. I do not think they are taking the issues with these F150 trucks seriously enough. No permanent fix for the problem has been found, at least not with my truck. I am also concerned that you can take your vehicle to one dealership where they cannot identify a transmission issue, but another one can. Furthermore, it concerns me that this intercooler problem can create a safety issue on the roadway, yet, the dealership makes a repair without installing all of the necessary components.

- Ida, MI, USA

Feb 022014

F-150

Lost power on secondary road at 40 mph pulled over to side of roadway stopped vehicle, stepped on fuel pedal RPM's went up slowly truck would not move. Turned off truck and restarted, then I was able to drive to were I was going. On the way home truck lost power sputtered when I gave it gas for a few seconds and then returned to normal driving conditions.

- Temple, TX, USA

Jan 202014

F-150 6-cyl

Truck was parked in driveway which is a slight incline. Truck rolled backwards 30 feet while in park striking a bush in front of my home. This was duplicated 2 X at will to determine the cause.

- Cleve's, OH, USA

Dec 212013

F-150 6-cyl

I was travelling on a 4-lane, 65mph highway when I floored the gas pedal. The truck failed to accelerate as it should have. Instead, it acted as if it was coasting. There was no power for several seconds even when I moved the gas pedal to different positions. When the truck finally seemed to resume power, it started to shake violently. The shocked passenger and I looked at each other, then I checked to see if there were parts strewn on the road behind me. Suddenly, it smoothed out and there were no more issues on that trip. I had been driving that truck for about 10 hours with various forms of precipitation at the time. This was December 21, 2013. The second incident was on December 28, 2013. Weather conditions were sunny and dry. I had been driving about 50 minutes. I floored the gas pedal again to overtake a vehicle and was barely able to overtake due to no power. Again, I worked the throttle to no avail. The truck finally recovered but started shaking violently again. As before, it smoothed out. I took my truck to a local Ford dealership where they told me it was showing no codes and that their techs could not reproduce the symptoms I had mentioned. I checked on NHTSA website and found this issue is under investigation. I do not agree with the service bulletins. My theory is that there is a computer programming problem specific to this direct-injection, turbo gasoline engine. I plan on trading for something other than an ecoboost engine, as this problem is dangerous.

- New Burnside, IL, USA

Jan 132014

F-150 6-cyl

Upon hitting the gas to cross traffic I had a sudden loss of power. I had to let off and hit the gas a couple of times in order to get the truck moving. This unfortunately is not the first time that this has happened and I have only had the vehicle a month since buying it as a certified vehicle. The dealership that I bought it from supposedly fixed the problem but apparently it is something that needs more than just a little adjustment and new parts. I have noticed through some research that I am not the first to have this issue. Unfortunately some of the posts are people who have been trying to get them fixed but end up past the warranty mark before Ford is able to make it right.

- Cornelia, GA, USA

Jun 132012

F-150 6-cyl

2012 F150 3.5 ecoboost, on multiple occasions while driving the truck at highway speed, then attempting to accelerate to pass the truck shudders violently and temporarily loses power. The most recent occurrence almost caused an accident. While traveling from a 40 mph zone into a 55 mph zone with closely following traffic the truck began to shudder as described, then lost power completely causing me to coast to a stop. When this happened I was nearly struck from behind, the vehicle would not respond to throttle input and remained idling very roughly. I shut the ignition off, waited a few moments and re-started the engine, then continued home. I am becoming very concerned that these events may cause a crash and someone could be injured or killed. I'm making an appointment with my dealer for service but after reading many forums, I'm not optimistic that the problem will be resolved.

- Chemung, NY, USA

May 032013

F-150 6-cyl

On 2 separate occasions, approximately 3 months apart while in hard acceleration attempting to merge on an interstate on-ramp, vehicle began to shudder violently and lose power. In first instance, I was able to merge in the left lane and let off the accelerator. As vehicle coasted, the shudder subsided and within 1 minute stopped all together. In the second instance, when the vehicle lost power, traffic conditions would not allow me to merge and I was forced to coast along the shoulder of the road until the shudder subsided and power was resumed. In neither situation, did the vehicle go into safe mode or the check engine light appear. Vehicle simply resumed normal operation.

- Mt Zion, IL, USA

Oct 172013

F-150 6-cyl

I was driving to the eastern shore in the rain. When I slowed down to get something to eat when I tried to get back on the road the truck shuddered and lost all power. It did it two more times that night and then it did it again leaving the toll booth on the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel two days later. I took it to the dealer and they tried to fix it but last week when it rain I drove to langley afb and it did it again. Contacted the dealer and they said to be patient and Ford will get back to me when they come up with a fix. How can I trust this truck when it rains. This is a dangerous thing and they will not fix it unless you make them. I almost got ran into on the bridge with all the vehicle merging back into traffic.

- Chesapeake , VA, USA

Dec 042012

F-150 6-cyl

My 2012 Ford F150 with eco-boost engine stalls and shakes upon fast acceleration. This happens mostly on rainy damp days but has happened during night driving also. Once this happens the trucks looses all power and I have had to pull off the highway, turn the engine off and restart. Have brought the truck to the dealer on three occasions with no results of correction. I know this is a common problem with this engine and need help to get Ford to correct problem or allow trade for trade on a new truck without the eco-boost engine.

- Bourg, LA, USA

Jul 132013

F-150

Dealer installed ECU update without my knowledge or authorization which changed how the vehicle accelerates, decelerates, shift points and engine stumbles continuously. Dealer does not have the ability to undo the update. Opened a case with Ford Motor Company, they basically blame the dealer for not informing the customer (myself) prior to installing the update and informed me they currently do not have a program to undo an update or install a previous update to return the vehicle back to factory specifications.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 292013

F-150 6-cyl

Traveling with my wife from little rock to houston on a rainy / humid day with the temperature at about 80-85 degrees, I accelerated quickly to pass on a 4-lane highway. The truck began shuddering violently and we experienced a loss of power. After slowing down and pulling off and restarting the truck it seemed to run fine. This happened two more times during the trip. The second time the check engine light began to flash, but ended up going off. The third time the light flashed and stayed on. After getting back to houston I took the truck in and they "reprogrammed the cac" and installed a new "air dam deflector plate." I just got the vehicle back so I do not yet know if this fixed the problem permanently, however, I have searched numerous blogs and websites and discovered that hundreds of other owners have had the exact same experience with their 3.5L ecoboost engines. I also understand that Ford has not offered any kind of recall for this problem. The characteristics of the power loss (and exactly at a critical time when power is needed) were frightening and extremely dangerous. Had I been passing on a two-lane road instead of a 4-lane highway, we could have been killed. There is the potential for a head-on collision, a second car rear-ending my vehicle, or a loss of control due to the shuddering and instability at high speeds. I did contact Ford regarding this and was basically told there is no recall and they just recommended that I have the repairs done. It is completely ridiculous that they know about this issue and don't 1) recall the vehicles that may experience this problem and, 2) let the general public know about the issue - for those purchasing a new vehicle. It is deceptive and irresponsible.

- Katy, TX, USA

Apr 182013

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the air cooler and several other unknown components were replaced but the failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 11,577.

- Buloxi, MS, USA

Oct 152012

F-150 8-cyl

I put my truck into drive and it hesitates, jumps back and fourth being real sluggish. The only way out of this is to floor the gas and let it push through for about five to ten seconds and then it is done. Which is hard to do when it is time to take my kids to school and I am in a school zone. This is very intermittent, but happens more often than not. If I let the car remain off for more than 15 minutes then the cycle can continue. Sometimes it starts up and drives fine. I notice it is more and more prevalent as the miles climb up. It has been doing this since the beginning and is still doing this. Since around 20000 miles the truck hesitates on the road after driving for sometime. So now it happens whenever it wants to. I have read online that this is a common occurrence that Ford knows about, just doesn't admit to or try to fix. My best friend had to trade his truck in because of this problem. This has the potential to be a problem just like the acceleration of the Toyota. This problem happens sporadically but it is more often than not. Now the transmission is jumping when slowing down or speeding up. I was told this is normal, it is just the computer getting used to my driving. I don't make a habit of making my truck hesitate at all. So this is a dumb response that once again, many people online get the same answer. I am nearing my 36000 mark. So I know this is about to cost me out of my own pocket to fix because the Ford house will just say nothing is wrong and not fix it. So my question is are transmissions really this cheap and we just move on and accept that craftsmanship in America or do we make Ford fix their issue. I have purchased many vehicles throughout my 39 years in this great country. I have never had a car act like this on such a wide scale with nothing being done about it. Please hold them accountable.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Jun 012013

F-150

Attempting to pass a vehicle on the highway, motor lost all power and began shaking. Code came up as engine misfire. Brought to the dealership said known issue, they inspected did not find anything wrong. Since that date has occurred 4-5 more times during wet weather anytime accelerating (passing vehicles, on ramps).

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Oct 132012

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I have had this problem several times. It seemed to start in October 2012. I was trying to merge into traffic and pushed the gas pedal down quickly and it did not move forward any faster. I I was almost rear-ended by another vehicle because I could not get any speed. It seems that when I push down the pedal very slowly, it will go faster. But when I need the response to be very quickly, it does not respond. I have had this problem when I pull my camper. It will be performing then all of a sudden, I will need to push down the pedal to get power up a hill and again, there is no power. I have taken this to the dealership and they keep saying that there is no problem. I bought this vehicle to pull my camper. It does not perform the way it was touted in their advertisements.

- Peyton, CO, USA

Aug 142013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate at about 60 mph. I pressed the accelerator to about 80% of travel. The transmission downshifted and the engine immediately had an almost total loss of power. I totally released the accelerator and then apply about 10% and the engine resumed normal operation. The engine continued on as normal - given traffic conditions I did not attempt a second hard accelerator application. It was raining and had been raining about an hour when this occurred. I call Ford and was given a tsb repair code. It is Ford tsb 13-8-1 - an earlier version of the this tsb was 12-10-19 and 12-6-4. this is a serious issue with this engine and could have caused a serious accident. The next day I did accelerate in the same fashion and the engine responded properly - it was not raining when I did this.

- Murphy, NC, USA

Aug 032013

F-150 6-cyl

Accelerator would not respond while entering an intersection. The vehicle went into "limp home mode" and the display indicated the vehicle should be repaired immediately.

- Grant, FL, USA

Aug 102013

F-150

Ford F150 2012 ecoboost ext cab 4X4 XLT after driving for several hours and stopping at a rest area I began to reenter the interstate. As I accelerated on the onramp traffic was moderate so I pressed on the accelerator even harder. The truck was in 5th gear and downshifted to 4th. The truck began to shutter and loose power. At this point I panicked and pushed the accelerator even harder. The truck downshifted into 3rd gear at which point it lost all power. All that I could do was let out at this point and hope to regain power. Fortunately traffic had moved over by the time I had made it to the end of the onramp at which point the truck had a clear and definitive miss and very little power. The truck slowly accelerated up to 60 mph and continued to miss for another quarter mile. After arriving at my parents home 5 hours later without another incident of full loss of power I dropped my wife off to get her car. As I pulled out the driveway only minutes later I punched the accelerator to see if the truck would do it again. The truck fell on its face. I could have got out and ran faster. Once again is missed for a quarter mile and cleared up. Today, I had to make a quick trip into town to pick up something for my wife. Again I punched the accelerator and the truck fell on its face and had no power. This time the check engine light came on and has stayed on ever since. Thankfully I have not been involved in an accident as of yet. These trucks need to be recalled before someone is killed!!!

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 102013

F-150 6-cyl

Truck started to shake and lose acceleration while merging onto interstate traffic. Speed of approximately 60mph. Same issue occurred about 3 hours later while accelerating at highway speed, causing the vehicle behind me to make an aggressive move as not to rear end my truck. Approximately 65mph.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 122013

F-150

When accelerating and decelerating then accelerating the turbo drops out a severe loss of power occurred.

- Washington, DC, USA