2012 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Oct 132012

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I have had this problem several times. It seemed to start in October 2012. I was trying to merge into traffic and pushed the gas pedal down quickly and it did not move forward any faster. I I was almost rear-ended by another vehicle because I could not get any speed. It seems that when I push down the pedal very slowly, it will go faster. But when I need the response to be very quickly, it does not respond. I have had this problem when I pull my camper. It will be performing then all of a sudden, I will need to push down the pedal to get power up a hill and again, there is no power. I have taken this to the dealership and they keep saying that there is no problem. I bought this vehicle to pull my camper. It does not perform the way it was touted in their advertisements.

- Peyton, CO, USA

Aug 142013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate at about 60 mph. I pressed the accelerator to about 80% of travel. The transmission downshifted and the engine immediately had an almost total loss of power. I totally released the accelerator and then apply about 10% and the engine resumed normal operation. The engine continued on as normal - given traffic conditions I did not attempt a second hard accelerator application. It was raining and had been raining about an hour when this occurred. I call Ford and was given a tsb repair code. It is Ford tsb 13-8-1 - an earlier version of the this tsb was 12-10-19 and 12-6-4. this is a serious issue with this engine and could have caused a serious accident. The next day I did accelerate in the same fashion and the engine responded properly - it was not raining when I did this.

- Murphy, NC, USA

Aug 032013

F-150 6-cyl

Accelerator would not respond while entering an intersection. The vehicle went into "limp home mode" and the display indicated the vehicle should be repaired immediately.

- Grant, FL, USA

Aug 102013

F-150

Ford F150 2012 ecoboost ext cab 4X4 XLT after driving for several hours and stopping at a rest area I began to reenter the interstate. As I accelerated on the onramp traffic was moderate so I pressed on the accelerator even harder. The truck was in 5th gear and downshifted to 4th. The truck began to shutter and loose power. At this point I panicked and pushed the accelerator even harder. The truck downshifted into 3rd gear at which point it lost all power. All that I could do was let out at this point and hope to regain power. Fortunately traffic had moved over by the time I had made it to the end of the onramp at which point the truck had a clear and definitive miss and very little power. The truck slowly accelerated up to 60 mph and continued to miss for another quarter mile. After arriving at my parents home 5 hours later without another incident of full loss of power I dropped my wife off to get her car. As I pulled out the driveway only minutes later I punched the accelerator to see if the truck would do it again. The truck fell on its face. I could have got out and ran faster. Once again is missed for a quarter mile and cleared up. Today, I had to make a quick trip into town to pick up something for my wife. Again I punched the accelerator and the truck fell on its face and had no power. This time the check engine light came on and has stayed on ever since. Thankfully I have not been involved in an accident as of yet. These trucks need to be recalled before someone is killed!!!

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 102013

F-150 6-cyl

Truck started to shake and lose acceleration while merging onto interstate traffic. Speed of approximately 60mph. Same issue occurred about 3 hours later while accelerating at highway speed, causing the vehicle behind me to make an aggressive move as not to rear end my truck. Approximately 65mph.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 122013

F-150

When accelerating and decelerating then accelerating the turbo drops out a severe loss of power occurred.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 152012

F-150 6-cyl

On numerous occasions while accelerating to merge into traffic or to pass a slower vehicle or hard accelerating from a standing stop vehicle shakes and stalls, stays in second gear and has no throttle response, in wet or dry conditions, sometimes completely dying. On one occasion vehicle stalled and died while entering expressway causing me to have to run off road, hitting a sign and dirt bank to avoid approaching semi truck. Engine oil is diluted with gas, has burning smell in engine compartment. We are afraid of engine explosion and fire, burning smell is so bad. Ford has attempted several fixes, but problem continues, now there is a grinding grunt when going into reverse.

- Signal Mtn, TN, USA

Jun 092012

F-150 6-cyl

I've had problems since the first month of purchase, first time it stalled pulling out of a stop sign with my kids in the truck, scared us to death. Second time, my wife and I were on the interstate going on vacation driving at night in a steady rain, truck begin to shudder and stalled out, had to pull over about 5 times during a 5 hour trip and sit until it would crank and run again. When I returned I took into Ford, they couldn't find any problems, truck kept doing the same in a rain so I took back to dealer and after the third or fourth time they said there is a defect and Ford has a new part coming out in October of 2012, ended up getting the part installed in December 2012. Truck is doing the same thing, just stalled on me in branson, Missouri, I called dealer and corporate Ford and get nowhere. I have a complaint file number with Ford corporate on this problem but no will help me or offer me a new truck without ecoboost. Very frustrating to buy a brand new $57K truck and find out it does not run well in the rain and Ford new of this problem when they sold it to me in April 2012. Now I find out there is a class action suit started in Louisiana and Ohio for the eco boost trucks. Dont really want to go this route but Ford and autonation-cook whitehead Ford dealer has given me no choice. We need to all publicly let our dealers know by being on the news or other means so Ford will stop selling these vehicles. Its not right to treat us this way.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jun 192013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving on interstate I attempted to pass a slower vehicle. After moving over and accelerating - the truck buckled and stalled! I was almost rear ended by an 18 wheeler at 65 mph! this was very close to being a serious accident involving multiple vehicles. Please investigate and resolve this issue as Ford doesn't seem to be concerned about it. This vehicle has a 3.5L ecoboost engine with an automatic transmission and it also shudders at various speeds with a hard clunking sound during gear changes. Thank you.

- Valdese, NC, USA

Jan 122013

F-150 6-cyl

This write up is for a 2012 Ford F-150 truck with the 3.5L ecoboost V-6 installed. Jan, 2013-while driving on I-24E, I was pulling out from the rest stop, just North West of exit 1. I went to pass a 18 wheeler and my truck came "unglued". it practically died in the passing lane when I pressed the gas peddle. It shuddered so hard; I didn't think I would be able to get off of the road before it died. It was missing and shuddering like crazy. I pulled off exit 1, shut the truck down and restarted. It ran ok without that same thing happening on the way home. I had a pretty descent "miss" in 6th gear, running down the interstate at 75mph. Something very strange happened here. It was the first issue I've had with my truck. Although I've noticed recently the mpg is down by 2.0 mpg or more for the last three weeks, and this from refueling at different locations, and the same driving style. Ford applied the tsb to reprogram the PCM/tcm to latest level, installed a deflector shield on the intercooler and possibly replace the drivers side catalytic converter if needed. July, 2013- this weekend while driving on I-65N, I had the same issue happen. The truck now has 17,000 miles on it. I've had the vehicle back into my local Ford dealer four times for this issue. The vehicle exhibits this issue when it's rainy and has been driven in the rain for several (50 or more) miles. In heavy traffic this is a very dangerous issue. The vehicle goes into some type of safe mode and will barely limp off the road. If this issue were to occur while crossing a four lane hwy, and sputtered one could be seriously injured or injure someone else.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Apr 182013

F-150 6-cyl

Having issues with the ecoboost accelerating upon take off or getting on to road ways numerous times I have come close to getting hit because of no power upon accelerating now this has been going since purchase new with only 116 miles and purchase date 3-17-2013. The dealer says this is normal operating condition for the vehicle to have lag time before power.my feeling is if you are sitting at a light and you give the vehicle gas the vehicle will move slow and then do a sudden acceleration and could cause death or injury to someone unsafe truck. Now I'm having issues with the driver window not going down or when it is down will not go up they say this is normal operating procedure Ford has some issue and they need to be corrected before someone gets killed or hurt bad.

- New River, AZ, USA

Jul 032013

F-150 6-cyl Diesel

While accelerating to merge into traffic on the highway my truck lost acceleration at 60 mph. I let off the throttle and eased into it. The whole truck started shuttering and transmission was shifting extremely hard. It was all I could do to maintain speed. At the first stop light I shut the truck off in an attempt to reset the ECU. Once I took off it didn't happen again. It's just scary knowing that I could have caused an accident while trying to merge into traffic. This is not safe at all.

- Cocoa, FL, USA

Jul 222012

F-150 6-cyl

This is in reference to a loss of power while passing in rainy conditions in my 2012 F-150 crew cab 4X4 3.5 V-6 eco boost. After driving at slow speeds (25-35mph) and fairly constant throttle on a 2 lane highway for approximately 30 miles, I attempted to pass a vehicle starting at 50 mph. As soon as I was on boost I experienced a significant loss of power forcing me to take violent evasive maneuvers including full braking and hitting the shoulder, to barely avoid a head-on collision with an oncoming vehicle. As the bed was empty I assumed that I spun the tires on the very wet highway and hit a rev-limiter as it felt like I lost several cylinders. Once it returned to 6th gear and about 1500 RPM the engine ran normally. Subsequently I have rolled on the throttle slowly when requiring full power in wet conditions. After reading about the other similar issues I realized that I had experienced a problem with the turbocharging system. With this in mind I now regularly go to boost where I don't need the power to remove the condensation from the intercooler when conditions are wet.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Sep 022012

F-150 6-cyl

Driving turnpike at 1:30am with wet roads but not raining. Cruise control was engaged at 75 mph. Approaching a bridge and upon starting to climb on the incline I heard a noise that sounded like the transmission had disengaged then the engine light started pulsating on and off so I tried to accelerate and the truck did not react but since I was going 75 it took me over the bridge and then I coasted down the bridge with the cruise control disengaged. I pulled over to the side and placed truck in park the engine was still on. I turned off the truck and waited about 1 minute then I turned the key back on and the truck started up with no engine light or any sign of problems. I drove all the way to miami with no further incidents. I took the truck to Ford of homestead and they said they could not pull a code out of the computer that showed anything had happened. I later took the truck again this time making noises when U accelerated it sounded like the transmission was shuddering and again nothing they could do to replicate it. Again on or around March 2013 I took the truck to another Ford dealer and tried to replicate the shuddering between 3 or 4 th gear to no avail. The truck this past weekend on the same bridge again with wet roads made the shuddering sound and feeling but the engine light did not come on and the truck upon getting to the top of the bridge continued without having to be turned off and on. At first I thought this might be a transmission issue but whenever I guess the truck accelerates to gain speed to go over the bridge or after leaving a stop or red light between 3 or 4 th gears it shudders and when the bridge comes around it goes to a lower gear and starts losing power. When it happens between 3 or 4th gears it is with me accelerating. They told me that the truck has a memory if you drive it hard or softly it remembers this and shifts differently.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 142013

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated while driving 45 mph, the vehicle attempted to accelerate but the rpms increased and the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was coasted onto the emergency lane; however, he was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,700. The VIN was unavailable.

- Raileigh, NC, USA

Jun 112013

F-150 6-cyl

When I go to accelerate it periodically has had an issue of selecting the gear. Sometimes it has held onto 1st gear without changing to second, most recently it has been skipping from 1st gear to 5th gear. I've recorded a video (link at the bottom) to better demonstrate. I drive the truck in a humid environment (oahu) + wash my car regularly (nothing in the engine, other then spraying the grill) - as I've heard of similar related issues. I've uploaded a video of it to youtube which was recorded yesterday after trying to accelerate at a stop light (I had tried to troubleshoot it 3 different ways after pulling over - 1. going into the low gears (1, then 2), then drive 2. I tried manually telling the vehicle which gear I wanted to be in (it blinked to indicate I'm locked out) 3. (as seen in the video) I went to park, then to drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=Y50_cj82D20.

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

May 262012

F-150 6-cyl

In damp conditions the F-150 with the eco boost engine has a severe vibration and loss of power problem when the turbo chargers are called for. In otherwords when you strongly accelerate to get on the highway the truck dies.

- Newberry, SC, USA

Jun 062013

F-150 6-cyl

I was merging on the on ramp to obtain highway speed I stepped on the gas when all of the sudden the truck started to shake really bad. I tried to step on the gas to accelerate but there was no throttle response to the engine as the truck continued to lose speed. Every time I tried to step on the gas the truck would shake even worse. I pulled over to the side of the road so I would not cause an accident. This is not the first time I have experience this shudder in the truck.

- Chestertown, MD, USA

May 312013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving in the rain I attempted to merge onto I-74 near indianapolis, in. The ecoboost engine lost power and the "check engine" light came on. The truck shook and vibrated like the engine was only running on a couple of cylinders and had virtually no power. We were nearly rear-ended by a semi that we were trying to merge with. I drove very slowly on the shoulder for an extended time as there was no place to get off the highway. Finally it seemed to regain power and we headed on home to Illinois. The check engine light stayed on.

- Sullivan, IL, USA

Oct 012012

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, there were abnormal noises heard from the engine. In addition, the vehicle remained stuck in second gear. The contact stated that the failure was most prominent when there were moist, wet weather conditions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, who stated that the irregularities where a characteristic of the eco boost feature. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500. The current mileage was 10,463.

- Hazlet , NJ, USA