2012 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Jun 192013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving on interstate I attempted to pass a slower vehicle. After moving over and accelerating - the truck buckled and stalled! I was almost rear ended by an 18 wheeler at 65 mph! this was very close to being a serious accident involving multiple vehicles. Please investigate and resolve this issue as Ford doesn't seem to be concerned about it. This vehicle has a 3.5L ecoboost engine with an automatic transmission and it also shudders at various speeds with a hard clunking sound during gear changes. Thank you.

- Valdese, NC, USA

Jan 122013

F-150 6-cyl

This write up is for a 2012 Ford F-150 truck with the 3.5L ecoboost V-6 installed. Jan, 2013-while driving on I-24E, I was pulling out from the rest stop, just North West of exit 1. I went to pass a 18 wheeler and my truck came "unglued". it practically died in the passing lane when I pressed the gas peddle. It shuddered so hard; I didn't think I would be able to get off of the road before it died. It was missing and shuddering like crazy. I pulled off exit 1, shut the truck down and restarted. It ran ok without that same thing happening on the way home. I had a pretty descent "miss" in 6th gear, running down the interstate at 75mph. Something very strange happened here. It was the first issue I've had with my truck. Although I've noticed recently the mpg is down by 2.0 mpg or more for the last three weeks, and this from refueling at different locations, and the same driving style. Ford applied the tsb to reprogram the PCM/tcm to latest level, installed a deflector shield on the intercooler and possibly replace the drivers side catalytic converter if needed. July, 2013- this weekend while driving on I-65N, I had the same issue happen. The truck now has 17,000 miles on it. I've had the vehicle back into my local Ford dealer four times for this issue. The vehicle exhibits this issue when it's rainy and has been driven in the rain for several (50 or more) miles. In heavy traffic this is a very dangerous issue. The vehicle goes into some type of safe mode and will barely limp off the road. If this issue were to occur while crossing a four lane hwy, and sputtered one could be seriously injured or injure someone else.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Apr 182013

F-150 6-cyl

Having issues with the ecoboost accelerating upon take off or getting on to road ways numerous times I have come close to getting hit because of no power upon accelerating now this has been going since purchase new with only 116 miles and purchase date 3-17-2013. The dealer says this is normal operating condition for the vehicle to have lag time before power.my feeling is if you are sitting at a light and you give the vehicle gas the vehicle will move slow and then do a sudden acceleration and could cause death or injury to someone unsafe truck. Now I'm having issues with the driver window not going down or when it is down will not go up they say this is normal operating procedure Ford has some issue and they need to be corrected before someone gets killed or hurt bad.

- New River, AZ, USA

Jul 032013

F-150 6-cyl Diesel

While accelerating to merge into traffic on the highway my truck lost acceleration at 60 mph. I let off the throttle and eased into it. The whole truck started shuttering and transmission was shifting extremely hard. It was all I could do to maintain speed. At the first stop light I shut the truck off in an attempt to reset the ECU. Once I took off it didn't happen again. It's just scary knowing that I could have caused an accident while trying to merge into traffic. This is not safe at all.

- Cocoa, FL, USA

Jul 222012

F-150 6-cyl

This is in reference to a loss of power while passing in rainy conditions in my 2012 F-150 crew cab 4X4 3.5 V-6 eco boost. After driving at slow speeds (25-35mph) and fairly constant throttle on a 2 lane highway for approximately 30 miles, I attempted to pass a vehicle starting at 50 mph. As soon as I was on boost I experienced a significant loss of power forcing me to take violent evasive maneuvers including full braking and hitting the shoulder, to barely avoid a head-on collision with an oncoming vehicle. As the bed was empty I assumed that I spun the tires on the very wet highway and hit a rev-limiter as it felt like I lost several cylinders. Once it returned to 6th gear and about 1500 RPM the engine ran normally. Subsequently I have rolled on the throttle slowly when requiring full power in wet conditions. After reading about the other similar issues I realized that I had experienced a problem with the turbocharging system. With this in mind I now regularly go to boost where I don't need the power to remove the condensation from the intercooler when conditions are wet.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Sep 022012

F-150 6-cyl

Driving turnpike at 1:30am with wet roads but not raining. Cruise control was engaged at 75 mph. Approaching a bridge and upon starting to climb on the incline I heard a noise that sounded like the transmission had disengaged then the engine light started pulsating on and off so I tried to accelerate and the truck did not react but since I was going 75 it took me over the bridge and then I coasted down the bridge with the cruise control disengaged. I pulled over to the side and placed truck in park the engine was still on. I turned off the truck and waited about 1 minute then I turned the key back on and the truck started up with no engine light or any sign of problems. I drove all the way to miami with no further incidents. I took the truck to Ford of homestead and they said they could not pull a code out of the computer that showed anything had happened. I later took the truck again this time making noises when U accelerated it sounded like the transmission was shuddering and again nothing they could do to replicate it. Again on or around March 2013 I took the truck to another Ford dealer and tried to replicate the shuddering between 3 or 4 th gear to no avail. The truck this past weekend on the same bridge again with wet roads made the shuddering sound and feeling but the engine light did not come on and the truck upon getting to the top of the bridge continued without having to be turned off and on. At first I thought this might be a transmission issue but whenever I guess the truck accelerates to gain speed to go over the bridge or after leaving a stop or red light between 3 or 4 th gears it shudders and when the bridge comes around it goes to a lower gear and starts losing power. When it happens between 3 or 4th gears it is with me accelerating. They told me that the truck has a memory if you drive it hard or softly it remembers this and shifts differently.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 142013

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated while driving 45 mph, the vehicle attempted to accelerate but the rpms increased and the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was coasted onto the emergency lane; however, he was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,700. The VIN was unavailable.

- Raileigh, NC, USA

Jun 112013

F-150 6-cyl

When I go to accelerate it periodically has had an issue of selecting the gear. Sometimes it has held onto 1st gear without changing to second, most recently it has been skipping from 1st gear to 5th gear. I've recorded a video (link at the bottom) to better demonstrate. I drive the truck in a humid environment (oahu) + wash my car regularly (nothing in the engine, other then spraying the grill) - as I've heard of similar related issues. I've uploaded a video of it to youtube which was recorded yesterday after trying to accelerate at a stop light (I had tried to troubleshoot it 3 different ways after pulling over - 1. going into the low gears (1, then 2), then drive 2. I tried manually telling the vehicle which gear I wanted to be in (it blinked to indicate I'm locked out) 3. (as seen in the video) I went to park, then to drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=Y50_cj82D20.

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

May 262012

F-150 6-cyl

In damp conditions the F-150 with the eco boost engine has a severe vibration and loss of power problem when the turbo chargers are called for. In otherwords when you strongly accelerate to get on the highway the truck dies.

- Newberry, SC, USA

Jun 062013

F-150 6-cyl

I was merging on the on ramp to obtain highway speed I stepped on the gas when all of the sudden the truck started to shake really bad. I tried to step on the gas to accelerate but there was no throttle response to the engine as the truck continued to lose speed. Every time I tried to step on the gas the truck would shake even worse. I pulled over to the side of the road so I would not cause an accident. This is not the first time I have experience this shudder in the truck.

- Chestertown, MD, USA

May 312013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving in the rain I attempted to merge onto I-74 near indianapolis, in. The ecoboost engine lost power and the "check engine" light came on. The truck shook and vibrated like the engine was only running on a couple of cylinders and had virtually no power. We were nearly rear-ended by a semi that we were trying to merge with. I drove very slowly on the shoulder for an extended time as there was no place to get off the highway. Finally it seemed to regain power and we headed on home to Illinois. The check engine light stayed on.

- Sullivan, IL, USA

Oct 012012

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, there were abnormal noises heard from the engine. In addition, the vehicle remained stuck in second gear. The contact stated that the failure was most prominent when there were moist, wet weather conditions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, who stated that the irregularities where a characteristic of the eco boost feature. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500. The current mileage was 10,463.

- Hazlet , NJ, USA

May 282013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving at approx. 70mph I attempted to accelerate hard to allow another vehicle to merge into traffic on southbound I-75. My vehicle immediately slowed down and began to shudder. I let off the accelerator and coasted until the shudder stopped. The steering wheel shook as if I had two flat front tires. The vehicle returned to normal after about 30 seconds and I completed my trip without further problems.

- Monroe, MI, USA

Aug 222012

F-150 6-cyl

While driving on an interstate with two motorcycles in the bed of the trucks, the truck started to shake and vibrate. Have since seen this referred to as the shudder that sometimes precedes the limp mode which results in power failure. After changing lanes and monitoring tires on nearby vehicles in motion we confirmed it was not the road. I have since experienced it again but cannot recreate the behavior on demand and it seems to be only on long trips with a load in the truck.

- South Amboy, NJ, USA

Apr 092013

F-150

Truck stumbles and stutters at 62 mph and around 1400 RPM when attempting to accelerate. Ford dealership replaced cac and upgraded software, this helped the problem but did not fix the problem. I reported back to the dealer about the continued problem and there response was that I was feeling turbo lag and Ford Corp does not currently have a fix, check back in a few months.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Jun 072012

F-150 6-cyl

Ford F150 crew cab - lariat - V6 ecoboost engine. Problem occurs when not towing, not engaged in 4X4 mode and occurs randomly in wet, damp and dry conditions. Driving at highway speeds (60) on a 70 mph highway, tried to accelerate to pass semi truck and truck shuddered and would not accelerate at all. Speed dropped dramatically and we were almost hit from behind. Only method of getting truck moving was to stop on the side of the highway and let the truck sit, turned off for 2 - 3 minutes. It took 5 or 6 of these stops to get to the nearest Ford dealership, where a tsb was referred to and it was suggested by the dealership that we continue on our vacation and stop in tallahassee to have a larger dealership take a look. The tallahassee crew updated the computer and provided a report for bill currie Ford in tampa, to install a shield of some sort once we returned, as they did not have the part in stock. Bill currie service reported that the shield was already in place when reported a few days later. The truck was taken to bill currie Ford a total of 5 times for the same problem with the final time to have a Ford tech do the work. The problem persists. Overall the truck is less than it was advertised. I got 18.7mpg with my previous 6.2L F150 and I have yet to get more than 17.8 on the ecoboost. Around town I also get much lower mileage (11.7mpg as opposed to 14.9 with the 6.2L engine. The shudder/loss of power occurs randomly and has resulted in near crashes at least 5 times in the months since we purchased the truck, all at highway speeds.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 222013

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the transmission down shifted independently and there was an increase in engine rpms. The vehicle also shook violently as the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 6,000.

- Lakeville , MN, USA

Mar 232013

F-150 6-cyl

V6 ecoboost my family and I were traveling in heavy rain on I65 in birmingham, al. I pulled into the far left lane to pass slower vehicles. When I accelerated the truck began to shake violently and rapidly lose speed and power. Several vehicles including a semi had to take evasive action to avoid a collision. The second time was on my return trip home. We were traveling on a two lane road in foggy conditions. We came to an area when the road split so you could pass slower vehicles. I, along with a car following, went to pass a slower vehicle which had moved to the right. When I was alongside the slower vehicle my truck began to shake and lose speed. I had to take evasive braking action to fall in behind the vehicle to my right because they were running out of room. The vehicle following me also had to take evasive action to avoid hitting me. And the car to my right. I took the truck to the dealer when I returned home. They replaced the cac, installed a plastic shield, reprogrammed the computer, and replaced a defective cat as was the recommended repair according to the issued tsb. On April 18th I was traveling on hwy41 in the rain.twice on my trip the vehicle began to shake and lose speed when passing slower vehicles. The applied tsb did not fix the problem. I returned the vehicle to the dealership at the request of Ford customer care. They were unable to find an issue. The day the vehicle was returned the second cat went out and had to be replaced. Ford has acknowledged the issue but has informed me that there is nothing they can do at this time. They offered to send me a buy back offer within ten days and after twenty days and several phone calls today they informed me that they are unable to buy back my truck. They also told me that I would have to live with the issue until they (if) come up with a fix. I am unwilling to put my family at risk.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Oct 212012

F-150

I have experienced two separate occurrences where the truck would violently lose power during acceleration during rainstorms. The first time the check engine light flashed but went away. The dealer told me it was probably the traction control, since no check engine light was logged in the system. The second time was April 24th, 2013, and the truck had approximately 11,000 miles. I was traveling approximately 70mph and passing two 18 wheelers on the interstate during a heavy rainstorm and the truck began to misfire and stutter and had no power. I had to swerve between the semis and coast to a stop on the shoulder to narrowly avoid a potentially fatal crash due to the loss in power. The check engine light stayed on this time, so when I took it to the dealer I specifically asked about the turbo intercooler issues that the ecoboosts have been reported to have. After checking my truck out, they indicated that my problem was consistent with the interrcooler condensation issue, but that my truck was built with the newer updated intercooler and that there is currently no fix for the problem. Now I am the disappointed owner of a new truck that I'm afraid to drive in the rain because my family might be killed or injured in it. The truck was purchased and always serviced at premier Ford in columbus, ms.

- Starkville, MS, USA

Nov 212012

F-150 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power while passing another vehicle. Unable to complete passing maneuver. This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

- Houston, TX, USA