2012 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

May 282013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving at approx. 70mph I attempted to accelerate hard to allow another vehicle to merge into traffic on southbound I-75. My vehicle immediately slowed down and began to shudder. I let off the accelerator and coasted until the shudder stopped. The steering wheel shook as if I had two flat front tires. The vehicle returned to normal after about 30 seconds and I completed my trip without further problems.

- Monroe, MI, USA

Aug 222012

F-150 6-cyl

While driving on an interstate with two motorcycles in the bed of the trucks, the truck started to shake and vibrate. Have since seen this referred to as the shudder that sometimes precedes the limp mode which results in power failure. After changing lanes and monitoring tires on nearby vehicles in motion we confirmed it was not the road. I have since experienced it again but cannot recreate the behavior on demand and it seems to be only on long trips with a load in the truck.

- South Amboy, NJ, USA

Apr 092013

F-150

Truck stumbles and stutters at 62 mph and around 1400 RPM when attempting to accelerate. Ford dealership replaced cac and upgraded software, this helped the problem but did not fix the problem. I reported back to the dealer about the continued problem and there response was that I was feeling turbo lag and Ford Corp does not currently have a fix, check back in a few months.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Jun 072012

F-150 6-cyl

Ford F150 crew cab - lariat - V6 ecoboost engine. Problem occurs when not towing, not engaged in 4X4 mode and occurs randomly in wet, damp and dry conditions. Driving at highway speeds (60) on a 70 mph highway, tried to accelerate to pass semi truck and truck shuddered and would not accelerate at all. Speed dropped dramatically and we were almost hit from behind. Only method of getting truck moving was to stop on the side of the highway and let the truck sit, turned off for 2 - 3 minutes. It took 5 or 6 of these stops to get to the nearest Ford dealership, where a tsb was referred to and it was suggested by the dealership that we continue on our vacation and stop in tallahassee to have a larger dealership take a look. The tallahassee crew updated the computer and provided a report for bill currie Ford in tampa, to install a shield of some sort once we returned, as they did not have the part in stock. Bill currie service reported that the shield was already in place when reported a few days later. The truck was taken to bill currie Ford a total of 5 times for the same problem with the final time to have a Ford tech do the work. The problem persists. Overall the truck is less than it was advertised. I got 18.7mpg with my previous 6.2L F150 and I have yet to get more than 17.8 on the ecoboost. Around town I also get much lower mileage (11.7mpg as opposed to 14.9 with the 6.2L engine. The shudder/loss of power occurs randomly and has resulted in near crashes at least 5 times in the months since we purchased the truck, all at highway speeds.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 222013

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the transmission down shifted independently and there was an increase in engine rpms. The vehicle also shook violently as the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 6,000.

- Lakeville , MN, USA

Mar 232013

F-150 6-cyl

V6 ecoboost my family and I were traveling in heavy rain on I65 in birmingham, al. I pulled into the far left lane to pass slower vehicles. When I accelerated the truck began to shake violently and rapidly lose speed and power. Several vehicles including a semi had to take evasive action to avoid a collision. The second time was on my return trip home. We were traveling on a two lane road in foggy conditions. We came to an area when the road split so you could pass slower vehicles. I, along with a car following, went to pass a slower vehicle which had moved to the right. When I was alongside the slower vehicle my truck began to shake and lose speed. I had to take evasive braking action to fall in behind the vehicle to my right because they were running out of room. The vehicle following me also had to take evasive action to avoid hitting me. And the car to my right. I took the truck to the dealer when I returned home. They replaced the cac, installed a plastic shield, reprogrammed the computer, and replaced a defective cat as was the recommended repair according to the issued tsb. On April 18th I was traveling on hwy41 in the rain.twice on my trip the vehicle began to shake and lose speed when passing slower vehicles. The applied tsb did not fix the problem. I returned the vehicle to the dealership at the request of Ford customer care. They were unable to find an issue. The day the vehicle was returned the second cat went out and had to be replaced. Ford has acknowledged the issue but has informed me that there is nothing they can do at this time. They offered to send me a buy back offer within ten days and after twenty days and several phone calls today they informed me that they are unable to buy back my truck. They also told me that I would have to live with the issue until they (if) come up with a fix. I am unwilling to put my family at risk.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Oct 212012

F-150

I have experienced two separate occurrences where the truck would violently lose power during acceleration during rainstorms. The first time the check engine light flashed but went away. The dealer told me it was probably the traction control, since no check engine light was logged in the system. The second time was April 24th, 2013, and the truck had approximately 11,000 miles. I was traveling approximately 70mph and passing two 18 wheelers on the interstate during a heavy rainstorm and the truck began to misfire and stutter and had no power. I had to swerve between the semis and coast to a stop on the shoulder to narrowly avoid a potentially fatal crash due to the loss in power. The check engine light stayed on this time, so when I took it to the dealer I specifically asked about the turbo intercooler issues that the ecoboosts have been reported to have. After checking my truck out, they indicated that my problem was consistent with the interrcooler condensation issue, but that my truck was built with the newer updated intercooler and that there is currently no fix for the problem. Now I am the disappointed owner of a new truck that I'm afraid to drive in the rain because my family might be killed or injured in it. The truck was purchased and always serviced at premier Ford in columbus, ms.

- Starkville, MS, USA

Nov 212012

F-150 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power while passing another vehicle. Unable to complete passing maneuver. This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 262013

F-150 6-cyl

Traveling at 60 + / - mph and attempted to pass another vehicle under normal conditions. Engine lost power on acceleration and seemed to sputter. This is strange as the gas was not "punched" or anything outside of normal passing acceleration. Initially I thought I may be out of gas or something but this was not the case. I have noted power loss two other times but did not think anything of it as the engine returned to normal once I backed off the gas. The one difference this time is the engine made a very rough vibration which caused others in the truck to ask if I was having engine trouble.

- Richmond, TX, USA

May 252013

F-150 6-cyl

Straightening our vehicle in parking place at home depot. Slowly (~2mph) going forward with foot on brake when engine suddenly speed up. Mashed down hard on brake while shifting into neutral. Tires or clutch screaming so loud it drew a group of yardmen unloading a truck nearby. Shortly after getting it shifted into neutral engine resumed normal operation. Took to Ford dealer immediately and will be evaluated after the holiday. Several times in the week prior to incident I noticed some slight "stuttering" of the vehicle when slowly moving forward to park in driveway, also noticed for the past 1 to 1.5 months there has been a 2+ mile per gallon decrease in fuel mileage running over the same routes.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Apr 042013

F-150 6-cyl

While merging from I-26 to I-20 while pulling a lightly loaded cargo trailer I was accelerating down the entrance ramp, had just begun to merge and suddenly with no warning my F-150 truck with an ecoboost engine began to hesitate.... actually is was much worse than a hesitation it seemed to lose all power and began to vibrate terribly (felt and sounded like driving on a corrugated/washboard road). I had a large 18 wheeler closing in very fast, I actually moved to the emergency lane to allow him to pass. Very scary! the weather was rainy and humid, this incident could have ended badly. I had one passenger at the time that witnessed this event.

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 232013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving at 65 mph on NY state thruway, with cruise control on, towing a trailer with one motorcycle, vehicle was in tow/haul mode. It was moderate rain. The truck shuddered, lost power momentarily, flashed several error messages on the information display, and resumed driving but now the vehicle would not accelerate over 60mph. Upon pulling off the road into a service area, I shut off the vehicle and restarted it. Errors were cleared. Resumed travel on the interstate. Went about 2-3 miles and it did it again. Limped 30 miles to next service area. Shut it off. Restarted. My aftermarket gauge cluster and code reader was showing errors P012B, P012D, P0106. Drove the remaining 200 miles at 55mph. Problem did not repeat.

- Whitesboro, NY, USA

Aug 062012

F-150 6-cyl

I was merging into traffic on I-10 in Florida from an entrance ramp. I was going 55 mph when I had to accelerate in order to merge with traffic. Upon attempting to accelerate, the engine lost power and began to shake causing me to have to brake really hard and move to the shoulder of the road so that I wouldn't collide with traffic already moving at 70 mph in the lane I was attempting to merge. This is the first of several incidences in which the vehicle lost power under acceleration.

- Crestview, FL, USA

May 192013

F-150

I was driving on a 2 lane highway, behind a semi truck, with several cars behind me. We came to a passing zone and I began to pass the semi truck. I moved to the oncoming lane and accelerated, but the truck lost power. I began slowing down in the on coming lane, but couldn't return to the right lane because the vehicles that were behind me were passing me in the right lane and I had a vehicle directly behind me that was followed me to pass the semi truck. I locked out 5th and 6th gears on the transmission to gain some RPM but the vehicle started to shudder violently. I moved to the shoulder of the on coming lane and shut the vehicle off. I sat on the shoulder for several minutes, got out of the vehicle and checked under it for fluids. There were no fluids under the vehicle. All the gauges read normal. I did all this on the shoulder of the oncoming lane facing oncoming traffic. This was not a good position to be in. I started the vehicle, put it in gear to see if it would move, it did. I had full power and got back into traffic and the truck ran fine. No warning lights, no indication that anything was wrong. Several miles later I lost engine power again, and again got the violent shudder, and the check engine light came on. Going to see the dealer today. This is bad! the first incident could have caused a huge accident. Moving onto that left shoulder proved to be a good move, but I was at pucker factor 10 for a few seconds.

- Newburg, MO, USA

May 142013

F-150 6-cyl

Lost power with easy accelerating from stop light at low speed. Engine running with transmission in drive gear, but will not move while pressing accelerator. Stopped, shifted to park then back to drive and was able to move but smelled burning oil.

- Spring, TX, USA

Mar 092012

F-150 6-cyl

While trying to accelerate from 50 up to the posted speed limit of 70 on interstate highway 10, the ecoboost engine in my truck stalled and started to misfire and shutter so severely causing my speed to decrease that I had to pull over to the side of the road to prevent from getting run over.

- Thicket, TX, USA

Mar 192013

F-150 6-cyl

Vehicle was purchased on 3/16/13 as a demo model with 6300 miles on it. Made a left turn and accelerated to merge into traffic on 3/19/13 when the whole vehicle shuddered violently and the engine lost power resulting in people having to hit their brakes and honk at us to avoid hitting us. The engine continued to bog down as the accelerator was pushed. I let the vehicle coast to almost a stop before the symptoms went away and could drive as normal. I looked up symptoms on internet and found many people experiencing same symptoms with this new eco-boost engine by Ford in their trucks. It seems that the intercooler can collect condensation in humid or rainy environments and have that water forced to the engine when the accelerator is pushed hard causing the vehicle to shudder and lose power. Ford has apparently identified this problem and issued a tbs service bulletin instructing the charged air cooler be replaced with a newly designed one for model year 2011-2012 F-150's with the 3.5L V6 eco-boost engine if a customer complains of the above symptoms and some people have reported this solution has not fixed the problem. This is extremely dangerous as one could lose power as many have reported, towing heavy loads, on the highway passing and other situations that a loss of power could lead to a fatal accident. The "newly designed" charged air cooler has been on back order for months and people are being told to "drive their vehicles carefully" if their dealer doesn't provide a rental or vehicle to drive while awaiting repair. My vehicle was taken back to dealership on 3/21/13 and has been sitting their awaiting the part as I feel it is unsafe to drive.

- Greenwood, AR, USA

Sep 192012

F-150

Traveling West on I-20 in tx for several hours through rain/mist/foggy conditions. Exited the highway for fuel. Upon reentering the highway and attempting to accelerate to speed, truck began shaking violently and did not respond to inputs from the throttle. I was able to speed up to about 45mph before the engine problem developed. Luckily I had a shoulder to pull over on as I had entered the interstate ahead of a tractor-trailer combo who was doing the speed limit and approaching my rear bumper very quickly. After the engine began misfiring at about 45 mph, I could not increase speed, I was only able to slow down and pull off onto the shoulder. During the incident, the check engine light illuminated, began flashing until the vehicle came to a stop on the shoulder, then remained illuminated until the truck was restarted 5 times on the shoulder.

- Eureka Springs, AR, USA

Oct 152012

F-150 6-cyl

I purchased my new F-150 in August 2012 and immediately noticed a "hesitation" when starting out in drive, until the engine shifted to second gear and a "miss" in the engine when driving at highway speeds. I called the dealer, told them my truck has safety defect and took the truck back for an evaluation and oil change. The dealer told me they found no defects on the computer codes and no bulletins from Ford but "we've had several complaints from other customers about this problem. We can't do anything unless the computer shows something wrong. I called Ford "customer relationships center" in Michigan and was told to take it to another dealer for a second evaluation. I did this and the new dealer gave me the same story as the first dealer. I called the "customer relationship center" again and advised them that what the dealerships have told me is unacceptable and that I would not have bought the truck, if I had known or been told that this "defect is common" with this truck. The "crc" told me they would have the regional service manager call me, which she did a few days later and told me that "the problems you are having with your truck are characteristic of the performance of these trucks and no other action will be taken. I told the regional service manager that her and Ford' response is unacceptable and if there is no fix, I want the vehicle repurchased or replaced. She said, "no further action will be taken by Ford."

- Selah, WA, USA

Sep 122012

F-150

While cruising at 65 mph on the interstate, heavy acceleration was applied to pass an 18-wheeler. At about 75% throttle and when the automatic transmission downshifted into second gear, the truck began vibrating violently and a check engine light appeared, blinking. Immediately letting off the throttle, the truck shifted back to sixth gear and stopped vibrating. A few seconds go by and the check engine light stopped blinking. Once I pressed the throttle again, it vibrated violently again, then stopped shortly after. The check engine light stayed solid.

- Sumter, SC, USA