3.4

2012 Ford F-150 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 132015

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving at 70 mph, the vehicle began to jerk while attempting to accelerate. The contact also stated that the failure occurred during rain weather conditions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition misfired and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 59,000.......updated 12/17/15

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Jul 162014

F-150

Back sliding window doesn't work, popping sound from the rear end when you accelerate from a stop.

- Tiller, OR, USA

Oct 062015

F-150

I have a 2012 F-150 with 44651.5 miles on it. Over the past 2 months when I start the truck in the garage the steering makes a terrible noise and when driving there is glitch in the steering off and on. I have taken it to the dealer twice and unable to get it to do this for him. After seeing these statements(complaints) about the problem with steering in the 2012 F-150's I don't feel safe driving mine. The noise occurs when I start the engine and turn the steering wheel however slight, the glitch is felt when driving.

- Troy, NC, USA

Aug 072015

F-150

Put truck in drive went to apply brake pedal and there were no brakes, truck kept rolling. Very dangerous, this needs to be addressed asap, thankfully I wasn't going fast when this happened. Incident happened more than once, went to Ford garage to evaluate issue, they concluded electric vacuum pump at fault.

- Antrim, NH, USA

Jul 022015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

2012 Ford F-150 ecoboost came off warranty in April, on July 2nd I started the truck, put it in gear (drive), and had no brakes. There was a grinding noise as if the ABS was trying to engage. I had to practically stand on the brake pedal to stop the truck and put it back in park. Pumped the brakes a few times and tried it again same thing. I shut off the engine, turned it back on, and let it warm up a few minutes. Now it was ok. From then on when the truck started cold it has done this on a regular basis. Good thing I found this before I reached any speed, and while there was no cargo in the bed to add inertia. I did some research and reported to Ford that the brake vacuum assist pump was likely corroded, and that this was a known issue on 2011-2013 F-150 ecoboost models. They needed a Ford technician to make the diagnosis, which I was charged $100 for (to determine that I was right). They also reported a bad fuse for the pump. I am hoping nobody is trying to say that with a bad fuse these pumps will disintegrate in three weeks of summer weather? let's be honest- the bad pump took out the fuse, if the fuse was blown. They estimate a ~$900 repair. I opened a ticket with Ford Motor Company because this event exactly matches NHTSA preliminary investigation item PE15026. People with these trucks or anyone around them could get seriously hurt if the driver cannot react quickly or panics when this part fails, and it is a poorly designed part. Apparently this part was re-engineered for 2014 and later models. At the time of this writing I am hoping I can get some help from Ford. I am a long time customer and have had no prior issue with the dealership or their service department. This is a manufacturing quality issue, pure and simple. I just wanted to report in order to make sure that this case was included with the others related to PE15026... updated 09/30/15

- Pascoag, RI, USA

Dec 222012

F-150

I purchased this vehicle for my son in December 2012. We took a trip to Alabama on the Saturday following the purchase. The truck had problems stalling, misfiriing, and not braking immediately. We have taken the truck to the Ford dealership for repairs approximately 15 to 20 times. It is in the shop again today for the misfiring/stalling. The service writer told my son that his vehicle has only been the shop twice for the same problem. We still have all the service paperwork to dispel that remark, this vehicle has approximately 24,000 miles on it. The factory warranty expires in December and has still not been fixed. It does not just stall in rainy or very humid conditions as stated by Ford in their response to the NHTSA investigation. They have replaced spark plugs twice, updated software, put a heat shield in front of the inter-cooler. None of these things have worked. The shield in front of the inter-cooler defeats the purpose of the inter-cooler by not allowing it to cool as intended. It raises the temperature in the intercooler in an attempt to produce less condensation. My son believes the inter-cooler has a design flaw. He thinks that the air return from the inter-cooler to the engine being on the bottom allows more condensation to be sucked back into the engine. If it were on the top, more of the condensation would stay in the bottom and not returned back to the engine. There is an after market fix for this problem but it is expensive and I believe Ford Motor Company does not want to spend the kind of money that it will take to fix this problem correctly. This vehicle should be able to operate efficiently under any conditions. If it does not, it is flawed. I will probably have to purchase the replacement inter-cooler out of my own pocket. I've included all this information in the event that it helps others with the same problem.

- Kempner, TX, USA

May 082015

F-150

Electric vacuum pump fails and you loose your power brakes. Brake petal gets very hard with little or no braking power to stop. 2012 was the last year to use electric vacuum pump to supply power brakes and then was replaced in 2013 with a belt driven vacuum pump. This is a common failure in the F-150 from 2012 and prior year mdls.

- Denver, PA, USA

Mar 032015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The electric rack and pinion quick working I was not able to street my vehicle at all I was lucky to be on a straight away I'd I had been in a corner I would have had an accident.

- Vestal, NY, USA

Mar 142014

F-150

Ford fixed my rear window, no questions asked....this is what happened....I started my truck, put on the rear defrost, drove out of my apartment complex and as I was about to exit the complex I heard a loud pop/crack noise, I stopped, no one was around, (it was 6am in the morning), I checked the entire truck to see what it was and the back left part of the rear window was completely shattered!, no sign of impact, just shattered...apparently there is no recall out on it, so if it has happened to you or does happen, take it in!, with how many complaints I have already read, it must be a manufacturer defect related to the rear defrost or installation of the window....

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Mar 222015

F-150

Auxiliary pump for power brakes boost noisy/failure

- Milford, MA, USA

Apr 012015

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

During first startup of the day, the electric vacuum pump makes a terrible noise for approx. 10 seconds as it builds up assist vacuum pressure. The brake pedal becomes hard as a stone with no vacuum assist. This is due to a faulty design with the pump assy. It becomes corroded internally and externally, and the piston inside the cheap housing becomes corroded and the pump will eventually seize. This is definitely a dangerous issue. If the pump seizes, there is not enough vacuum assist coming from the engine to provide enough vacuum pressure to the brake boost system and the pedal becomes hard as a rock to press. This happens every day during first startup in the morning, and start up in the afternoon when the vehicle sits for a long period of time and vacuum pressure depletes.

- Risng Sun, MD, USA

Mar 262015

F-150 8-cyl

On March 26, I was driving to work when I pressed my rear defrost button because my mirrors had some ice on them. I started to hear what sounded like a sizzle from the backseat. I turned the button off for a minute or so and then turned it back on. Seconds later, the rear window of my truck shattered. It sounded like a gunshot. I contacted Ford, and so far they are claiming there is not a problem, even though I see hundreds of people having the same problem with their F150S.

- Broomall, PA, USA

Mar 012015

F-150 8-cyl

I was driving on residential street during light snow conditions. I turned the rear window defrost on and after 2 minutes I could smell a burning smell and heard a crackling/popping sound coming from the back seat area of my truck cab. I sensed it may be something wrong with the rear defrost so I switched it off. Approximately 30 seconds later I heard a loud bang which sounded like it hit the roof of the cab. It sounded like someone dropped a large brick onto my moving vehicle. I was startled and stopped to check if something hit or was thrown at my truck and then I noticed the rear passenger side of the rear power sliding window was shattered. I felt the glass and it was hot even though outside temperatures were about 30 degrees F. there is no way Ford should be letting this defect go without a recall and I am shocked that the NHTSA has not put more pressure on Ford to make this right. I didn't even know this was a possible problem with using the rear defrost until I checked online and there are thousands of complaints about this issue. My child sits in that rear seat all the time and there are no recalls or notices of the potential for injury, fires, etc. Please make Ford own up to this problem so people can have peace of mind. Ford will not even admit there is a problem and is telling me I have to pay $1100 to fix this safety issue and my vehicle is still under warranty.

- Hanover, PA, USA

Dec 032012

F-150

At passing speeds or during acceleration the vehicle will stall and check engine light will come on and start flashing. It only does this when accelerated and has almost caused accidents. After numerous occasions of this happening the light has continuously stayed on and now it won't go off.

- Weaubleau, MO, USA

Feb 212015

F-150 6-cyl

Incident occurred on Saturday 2-21-15 at or about 3:30pm. The vehicle was traveling at about 30mph when a very loud bang was heard inside vehicle. After pulling over a quick glance around inside the vehicle revealed that the drivers side portion of the 3 piece rear glass of the cab has shattered. The glass remains in place but had "spiderwebed" and is completely shattered. Upon inspection on the outside, no signs of impact are visible and the point of origin of the cracks appears to be the upper right hand corner where the glass is covered by the rubber molding. When this happened it was about 25 degrees outside and snowing, all snow had been removed from vehicle prior to driving and the rear de-frost/de-fogger had been run and turned off about 10 mins prior to the incident. A quick internet search reveals that this is a common issue for this glass with the heating elements in these conditions, several other complaints similar or identical to this have been made to this and other organizations as well as there have been several article written on this subject. I placed a call to Ford customer service for assistance in replacing the glass as the extended warranty that was purchased through Ford (Ford esp premium) does not cover glass. I was told by the representative from Ford that no assistance would be given as the vehicle is out of the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. This is an obvious failure of the design from the factory that Ford is aware of.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Dec 192014

F-150 8-cyl

While parked and warming up, heater fan motor seized up, continued to generate heat and ignited resulting in extensive interior burn and total loss fire.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 192014

F-150

On December 19, 2014 at a traffic light the instrument cluster, turn signal and power steering stopped working on my 2012 Ford F150. This is after the advance traction warning light came on. I had it towed to a Ford dealer. The Ford dealer updated and reprogramed the ABS module. After getting the vehicle back on December 22 the power steering, turn signal, and instrument cluster problem reoccurred as it was not repaired correctly. I returned the vehicle to the Ford dealer on December 22. This time they found a faulty pscm (power steering control module) that was losing communication once hot. They replaced the power steering gear assembly and applicable hardware. This vehicle only had 42,704 miles when this problem occurred.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Dec 232014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

After pulling in to my driveway, one of the rear windows on my F-150 shattered. While I was driving, I had the rear window defroster on. The window shattered shortly after I got out of the truck and closed the door. After doing some research online, I have come to find that this is a fairly common issue on F-150 trucks equipped with the rear defroster system and 3-piece sliding window. I took the truck in to koons Ford of annapolis, Maryland and was told that while it is a fairly common issue, Ford would likely not cover the repair under warranty, as they hadn't in the past. I was quoted $694 for a replacement. Luckily this did not happen while I was driving down the road, like it has for many other people.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Nov 262014

F-150 6-cyl

There was a misfire and no check engine light. This happened 5 times before the computer showed there was an issue. On the third time I had Ford install the deflector to keep water away from the turbo chargers. The last time it happened the computer finally showed a check engine light. I took the vehicle to auto zone to have them diagnose it. The computer was showing misfires in 3 cylinders. When I got the vehicle to Ford it was only showing one cylinder having had a misfire. Based on this, and the fact that the computer didn't register the previous misfires. I feel there is a defect with the computer in my vehicle. Ford refuses to address the issue. I know there was an investigation on this, but the misfires have happened when it was not raining or humid, in fact the first misfire happened on a dry day. Also, I have had the repairs made based on moisture causing the issue and still have the same problem. Please advise.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Oct 262014

F-150 8-cyl

Vehicle would not start. New wedge on wedge positive battery terminal clamping mechanism completely corroded to dust. Possible metal incompatibility?

- Somerville, TN, USA