2012 Ford F-150 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Oct 062014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

While getting on the highway and accelerating, my truck began to shake and lose power. I took it in to the shop afterwards and they had to replace all spark plugs and 1 ignition coil. After researching this, I found out this has been an issue on several 2011 - 2013 model eco boost. Please force a recall, as I do not feel I need to pay for something Ford is responsible for.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Jun 022014

F-150 6-cyl

I got into my Ford F150 on October 4, 2013 and it wouldn't start. Malloy Ford had me call a wrecker and pick it up on Saturday October 5, 2013 mally Ford called me on October 7, 2013 and said my truck was ready. I picked my truck up on October 8, 2013 they told me it was my battery. Well on June 2, 2014 my truck wouldn't start again. I called malloy that evening and left a message telling them to call me. I received a phone call from them on Tuesday June 3, 2014 asking me questions about my truck. They tried to me that I didn't drive it very much that was making my battery drain. They said you have a 2012 vehicle with only 13,000 miles on it. It don't matter how many miles you have on a vehicle, it should start. So I drive my truck in on June 4, 2014 at malloy Ford and leave it. I had the battery charged the day before so I could drive it in the next morning and leave it so they could look at it while I was at work. Malloy calls me that day and tells me my trucks ready, that it was my battery. How can you have a vehicle that has now had 3 batteries in it go bad. Something isn't right. Something is draining my battery down. I would really like this problem to be solved.

- Stephenson, VA, USA

May 132014

May 13, 2014, 0630 hrs. Temp 55 degrees F. while I was leaving for work, I pressed the rear defrost button as the morning dewpoint was high and condensation was heavy on the glass. The light on the defrost button did not illuminate, so I pressed a second time. There was a delay, but the light finally came on as advertised. I drove approx 5 miles to the local fuel stop when I noticed a slight burning smell from the rear cabin area. I parked the truck, and looked around but found no evidence of something burning. I stepped out of the truck and as I started to walk away from the vehicle, I heard a loud "bang", which scared me. It sounded as if something fell from the sky and hit the top of the truck. I looked around, and then opened the right rear door. The burning smell was more prominent, and I then noticed that the 'bang" was my right rear window pane shattering. The whole right rear pane had become extremely hot, and it shattered. There seems to be an issue with this heating/defrost system that needs rectified immediately. My youngest child could have had this window blow right into her had she or anyone else been sitting in the rear cab at that time. In addition, the possibility of the window blowing outward into oncoming traffic could also be a major issue for many different reasons. This needs addressed as soon as possible.

- Rising Sun, MD, USA

Mar 212012

F-150 6-cyl

I own a 2012 F150 platinum truck with an ecoboost engine. We purchased the truck new. I was on the interstate and was trying to pass a slow moving car. The vehicle went into overdrive and began to shake. I pulled over to the side of the road. The check engine light was on. I turned off the vehicle and waited a moment. When I restarted the truck I drove to the nearest dealership. It did this again twice on the way to the dealership. They said that the wiring was at fault and replaced the defective part. Then at 34,470 it occurred again. We were on a highway about to pass someone when the truck began to shake and the engine slowed and would not accelerate. The dealership suggested that we use a higher octane fuel and said they could not find anything wrong with it. This problem occurred eight additional times. Then at 82,200 miles we were traveling up hill and heard a loud boom. We had it towed to the nearest dealership and found out that a connecting rod had broken causing two holes in the engine. We had to have the entire engine assembly replaced along with two new turbos. Ford would not cover because the engine had 82,200 miles and the power train warranty ended at 60,000 miles.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Jul 152012

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the he vehicle would not start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure but replaced the fuse box, alternator and the battery. The failure continued after the repair. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic where the computer was reprogrammed. Additionally the contact stated that the dome light would not illuminate. The light bulb was replaced but the contact stated that the illumination was dim. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000.

- Cameron, TX, USA

Nov 122013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving after approximately 10-15 minutes, smoke started to appear under and around the front passenger seat which rapidly converted to flames. Immediately stopped and parked the car. Opened the hood and disconnected the battery. I had an abc fire extinguisher which I used to extinguish fire.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Aug 302013

F-150 6-cyl

I had read about this issue but thought I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have a issue. However at about 11,500 miles driving in a rainy humid day on the highway I got in a spot where I had a rig going about 30mph and I was doing about 60mph having more than enough time to pass safely before the other rig coming up in the passing lane I decided to go around.. as soon as I pushed the pedal to the floor and got in the passing lane the truck lost power, ,, shuddered badly and I almost couldn't get around the rig that was only doing 30! after getting by I decided to try to get off the road and again I was successful but not without the anxiety on thinking the rig coming up would not be able to slow down enough to allow me to get off the road without pushing me off. So far there have been no known accidents but again if the conditions are right for an accident to happen could be as simple as passing on a foggy night and the person coming up on you at 70 never saw the F150 ecoboost sitting in the passing lane doing 45 trying to get it off the side of the road passing at the top of a hill with nowhere to pull off to the right as going down the hill with a 70 mph tractor trailer driver doing his best to shut down his rig trying to avoid a jack knife due to a F150 ecoboost doing 40 mph with no where to pull off! so any of you that think this isn't a big problem waiting to happen then I suggest one thing.... hope, ,, pray, ,,, that you never come up on a ecoboost passing a rig and find yourself between a F150 losing 30 mph and trying to get off the road, then you, , followed by a rig doing 70 mph on your bumper in the passing lane!!!

- Dubois, PA, USA

Apr 012013

F-150 6-cyl

It first started when I merged onto the interstate and it lost all power and misfired. I took it to the dealership and they replaced to parts. Know my truck has a miss in the engine took it back to Ford and the first dealership said that it was because I had aftermarket tires on it and the engine was to small for the size of my truck. So I asked to take it to a different dealer and they charged me $95 to say it was the aftermarket grille guard that is on my truck. Nothing shows on the computer but they all feel the miss the truck only has 13000 miles on it and I am afraid to drive it long distance. I am stationed in germany and my parents have my truck so I am listing there information below.

- Emmalena, KY, USA

May 302012

F-150 6-cyl

While accelerating on an on-ramp to merge into traffic on I-90, the entire vehicle vibrated very hard, the engine then lost power, causing electric to shut down, and uncontrolled deceleration to occur. The check engine light started to flash. Once I released the pressure on the gas pedal, and pulled off the interstate to avoid oncoming traffic, the power returned and the engine responded again. The catalytic converter was determined to be the problem and was replaced. Notified Ford regional service manager about concerns that this was a safety issue, he responded that the car was under warranty, and nothing else could be done despite acknowledging that we could have been involved in a very serious accident due to the engine failure. About 2 months later, the same problem occurred, and apparently the computer system was not updated as required. After the update, it worked fine. In December 2012, similar symptoms occurred and the dealership determined it was the coil in engine 4 as the problem.

- Athens, GA, USA

Aug 102013

We were driving on I5 South in California with our cruise control set for 70 mph. We were coming into heavy traffic so hit the button to end cruise. It didn't work so my husband hit the brake and it didn't disengage the cruise control. If my husband would press the brake, it would slow down but when he took his foot off the brake, it would accelerate up to 90 mph. There were big trucks all around us and other vehicles and we couldn't make it to an off ramp for 5 miles. When we did, my husband slowed the truck enough to put it in park but the engine revved super high and we shut it off. We turned it back on a couple of times before we took off to finish our trip. We did not use the cruise control again for the rest of the trip. We took our Ford to the dealer that Monday and they said they could not find anything wrong with the cruise control. My question was what if it happens again or somebody dies and he didn't have an answer and said he would contact Ford.

- Paradise, CA, USA

Jul 112013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving on interstate I attempted to pass a slower vehicle. After moving over and accelerating - the truck buckled and stalled! I was almost rear ended by an 18 wheeler at 65 mph! this was very close to being a serious accident involving multiple vehicles. Please investigate and resolve this issue as Ford doesn't seem to be concerned about it. Not to mention I took it in for Ford to repair the problem and they refused to make the repairs as the vehicle did not show a trouble code. I looked online and there is a tsb on this vehicle by Ford for the repair but Ford won't make the repair. Not to mention since then the fuel mileage has dropped drastically since the event. This has happened three times now. I am very worried about an accident with this issue, not to mention it going out of warranty and I should not have to foot the bill. This is a design flaw and there are lawsuits all over the internet for this same reason. This is our family vehicle and it losing power is a huge safety issue due to tractor trailers not being able to slow down in time when this happens on the interstate. When the vehicle lost power it drops the vehicle speed to 40 mph. Not a safe speed for contested interstates. I bought this vehicle in April and spent 40,000 dollars on a truck that's very unsafe but not even dependable. This vehicle has a 3.5L ecoboost engine with an automatic transmission and it also shudders at various speeds with a hard clunking sound during gear changes. Thank you.

- Mcdonough , GA, USA

Jun 292013

While accelerating to pass, truck started vibrating, had loss of power and increased RPM on tach truck practically stopped in its tracks first time it's happened. Will be contacting dealer. Definitely could be hazard-as in heavy traffic so I hope Ford takes notice before people die.

- Warsaw, NY, USA

Apr 132013

F-150 8-cyl

While driving at highway speed, I heard a pop and 'ding' sound before losing all electrical items - dash board, head lights, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, etc., but the engine was still operating. I then felt a grinding noise and immediately exited the highway safely to park at a gas station. I turned off and removed the key but the engine was still running. I was only a few miles from a Ford dealership. I inserted the key, turned it to the on position and tried to put the truck into gear while depressing the brake. The transmission brake release would not work. I called roadside assistance who scheduled a tow to the dealership. I had to call the dealership to figure out how to turn the engine off. They advised that I should pull the fuel pump relay fuse which did stop the engine. To date, Ford does not know what is wrong.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Mar 012013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving on freeway and trying to pass, vehicle started shaking violently and lost power. Also when pulling out into traffic vehicle when lose power and engine shakes. Engine light came ona nd has remained on. Very dangerous situations continue to happen daily. Ford ecoboost system has a problem, dealership says Ford is aware but does not know when parts to repair might be available. Says to continue to drive. I am concerned a major accident is waiting to happen. This seems to be something Ford was aware of when sold this vehicle.

- Porter, TX, USA

Aug 302012

2012 F150 ecoboost. Consumer states shuttering, loss of horsepower and electrical panel went blank the consumer stated when he stopped at the gas station, there was steam coming from the engine. The next morning, as the consumer was driving to the dealer, the check engine light illuminated. The mechanic found the inner cooler was filled with water and was pushing water through the engine. The water was created by the engine and its components. The consumer was informed there was no fix for the problem at the current time. Updated 02/11/13

- Chester, VA, USA