2012 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Dec 082014

F-150

I was with my family on the way to church. I was making a right turn out of our neighborhood onto the highway when all of the sudden there was a complete loss in power and was unable to resume acceleration. The highway also has a moderate incline in slope which caused the vehicle to slow dramatically. We were almost rear-ended from the car heading in the same direction which was originally a substantial distance away. Luckily the car that was approaching from behind was able to slow down fast enough considering we had a 1 year and 4 year old son in the back seat. I called the local dealership and the earliest appointment they could offer to check the problem was on Wednesday 10/10/2014. This is over 3 days after the incident occurred. The truck only has 40,000 miles on it so I began researching this issue. I discovered that there are more than a substantial amount of complaints and it seems Ford is aware of the issue and is even attempting to modify the air induction system and re flash the PCM. With issues like the millions of vehicles being recalled for airbags that have led to serious injury or death, far beyond the manufacture originally becoming aware of the issues. How long is the issue regarding the 2011-2013 Ford F150 ecoboost going to remain shoved under the rug? how many lives have to be lost before Ford takes accountability for putting the public at risk. In their report to this specific issue (on the NHTSA website), it is more than obvious they have identified a defect in the 2012 Ford F150 and the ecoboost engines within the trucks. Can you help me understand how and why they are not being held accountable for risking the lives of many people. Also, why is the NHTSA allowing Ford to shrug this off and close this investigation" there is a clear defect present that has the potential of leading to loss of life. Is this not pure negligence"

- Rancho Murieta, CA, USA

Nov 072014

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated when driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently and started shaking before stalling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 43,000. The VIN was not available.

- Richmond, IN, USA

Oct 282014

F-150

I had been on the highway for 6 hours with intermittent rain, about 3.5 hours since last stop, 1/2 tank of gas remaining. Location was I-65 North near elizabethtown, ky, 11:15 pm, with mist, wet road and spray. Weather records indicate 50 degrees and falling, light rain, 84% humidity. I had the F-150 in 4WD-auto mode due to the road conditions. For several miles another car had been continually staying in my blind spot in the lane immediately to the left, despite attempts to clear with gradual reductions/increases in my speed. My general cruising speed was about 70 mph. I was in the right lane approaching a very slow-moving tractor trailer, so I accelerated moderately-hard to move ahead of the car to my left and was changing into that lane when the F-150 started shaking violently and lost speed. My wife thought that we had collided with something in the road. I quickly veered back into the right lane and braked hard, narrowly avoiding an actual collision. I suspected we had some type of engine or transmission problem, but while coasting the vehicle seemed to be running smoothly. I switched from 4WD-auto to 2wd and tried to gently accelerate again, but the F-150 started shaking again and the check-engine light started flashing. I pulled off of the road, and by the time I came to a stop the light had stopped flashing. I checked all around and under the vehicle, under hood, gauges, etc. With no further sign of a problem. I stopped and started the engine, then drove away and the F-150 performed normally for remainder of trip to louisville, ky. The next day I took the F-150 to a local dealer, who advised that I had experienced the "classic scenario" for condensation in the charge-air cooler, causing engine misfires. The F-150 is getting very poor gas mileage ever since. Home dealer has declined service because obd codes are no longer present. Engine: 3.5L gtdi (ecoboost)

- Tupelo, MS, USA

Oct 122014

F-150

When trying to pass a slow moving vehicle ( going 45 in a 55) I tried to pass. When I moved into other lane and gassed truck I lost power and started jerking. I had to let up completely off the gas and fall back behind the car that I was passing. This was a very dangerous situation since there were other cars behind me that had also started to pass as well as oncoming cars up ahead (a safe distance before attempting to pass of course). This seems to be a major issue since many of the same stories came up when searching the internet about this.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Oct 252014

F-150

Under non-tow situations truck will shudder/misfire during hard acceleration. Acceleration does not have to be wot. Weather conditions can be hot and sunny or cloudy, raining and humid. Truck did not start doing this until 60,000 + miles.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 082013

F-150

Was preparing to pass a slow moving vehicle my truck started to shudder and began to shut down..leaving me hung out in traffic.I backed off of the gas and it began to run correctly.this was a scary incident.truck has done this many times but I am very careful when I try to pass.Ford says they have a fix but I will have to pay for it I did not design or sell this truck Ford did they should correct.

- Harriman, TN, USA

May 202013

F-150

When you press the throttle pedal to pass the vehicle has a slight acceleration and then shakes, shudders and will not accelerate. I need to coast for several hundred yards before the system recovers and the truck accelerates. This happens all summer long pretty much every time I need to pass. My Ford dealer says they have applied the service bulletins but that does not correct the problem. In your investigation of this matter it is stated that Ford says you can still accelerate I can tell you that is absolutely not true with my truck. I should note that most of the time I am pulling an 18' fishing boat that weights about 3000 lbs. On at least six different occasions now while on vacation I have been in a long string of traffic behind either motor homes or logging trucks that could not go highway speed, I pull out to pass them step on the gas, it shakes, shudders and there I sit in the oncoming traffic lane, meanwhile the string of vehicles behind me have closed the gap, I cannot pull back into the right lane and I cannot accelerate to get in front of them. I end up just slowly moving back to the right hoping the other vehicles will back off and move out of the way, then comes the blasting of their horns and shaking of their fists when they eventually pass me. I cannot imagine how this is not considered a safety issue. Ford specifically markets this ecoboost engine based on it's torque for towing to people that need a truck for towing but you cannot use any of that torque all summer long and I am pulling a boat that is only at one third of the towing capacity.

- Waunakee, WI, USA

Oct 062014

F-150

While getting on the highway and accelerating, my truck began to shake and lose power. I took it in to the shop afterwards and they had to replace all spark plugs and 1 ignition coil. After researching this, I found out this has been an issue on several 2011 - 2013 model eco boost. Please force a recall, as I do not feel I need to pay for something Ford is responsible for.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Sep 202014

F-150

For the fourth time, my 2012 Ford F150 ecoboosted engine stalled or shuttered when hauling a load (trailer or heavy bed load) in a high humidity environment. I was pulling a U-haul trailer behind my truck and it was raining heavily. When I punched the accelerator to pass a slower vehicle, the engine stalled, sputtered, and nearly shut down. The "check engine" light came on for about a minute, then turned off once the engine had cleared what felt like condensation, and returned to normal operating mode. When I took the vehicle to the dealership to complain (for the 4th time), they told me that they were of aware of a design problem with the intercooler on 2011-2013 turbocharged vehicles, but since they could not verify the defect "code, " Ford would not reimburse them for the service fix. This is clearly a safety and environmental issue as the service bulletin that Ford issued to correct the problem, requires replacement of the catalytic converter as well. Frustrated!

- Rochester, MI, USA

Sep 102014

F-150

Using truck to pull approx. 5000 lb travel trailer for camping. We had been driving for about 45 mins since last stop, 15 min bathroom break. Weather was drizzle rain that had been continuous for last 2 hours of trip time and there was standing water on roadway. I was in a 65 mph location, flat roadway, and came upon a small car doing less than 60 mph on the turnigan arm area of the seward highway (2 lane-opposing traffic). It was clear and I began to pass. As I cleared the vehicle I noticed a large class a rv had followed me to pass the car. I continued at 65-70 mph to finish passing and my truck started vibrating and losing power and speed, no lights or problems shown on dash. The rv that followed me was on my rear end and trying to fit back into the lane without running the small vehicle off the road as opposing traffic approached. I could do nothing but signal and pull off on to the shoulder of the highway. As I stopped and put truck into neutral and revved the engine it appeared fine. I waited for a clearing in traffic and pulled back in and accelerated with no problem. The problem corrected that quickly with out me shutting it off. The truck had no problems for the rest of a 250 mile trip. This incident could have ended up very bad and it shook my wife up emotionally. The problem occurred one more time on the return trip on 9/13/14. Similar weather, but not quite as wet. This time when the problem happened I was in a passing lane and had a slight incline and a semi was dropping down in speed and I went to pass accelerating from 55 to about 65 mph, moving into the passing lane. As I accelerated the truck had the same thing happen. This time the situation was not as dire as I recognized it, signaled, moved back into the slow lane and then shoulder. Other than upsetting other motorists as I slowed down no endangerment to life occurred.

- Soldotna, AK, USA

Aug 302014

F-150

While driving on a 2 lane highway in northern Wisconsin with my 11 year old son, I went to pass a slower moving vehicle in my 2012 F150 ecoboost and when I accelerated quickly the engine just lost all power and to avoid a head on collision I had to slam on my brakes and quickly return behind the slow moving car. Quite frightened, I didn't accelerate the rest of the trip North. While returning labor day, day, and on a four lane expressway I again tested the acceleration to have it happen again, but this time the check engine light started to flash and then shortly after stayed on. Being 400 miles away from home, I drove the rest of the way very carefully. After getting home and before calling the dealer service to schedule a service visit, I did some searching on the internet to find this to be a problem with F150 ecoboost engines. Doing some more searching I found the following article "NHTSA closes Ford-150 ecoboost acceleration probe" by noah joseph on April 14th 2014, detroit news. I was appalled that you would close an investigation when the reason to accelerate, could be to pass a slower moving vehicle, and to lose power during this move could be deadly! since I purchased this truck, I have made countless passes on slow moving vehicles on two lane highways and felt very safe to complete that legal move until Saturday, when, if I didn't take a drastic measure to brake and turn back into my lane, more than likely I would not have had the opportunity today to write this letter to you and more important, my son may have not been here either. I question why you made the determination to first, close the probe, and second, not demand that Ford take the necessary steps to correct the problem, that is clearly a safety issue. I would appreciate a response and hope not to have to take further action for you to resolve this oversight.

- Highland, IN, USA

Sep 012014

F-150

While traveling at interstate speed of approx. 70 mph, I attempted to pass a slower vehicle going up a slight hill. There was a shudder and then the vehicle lost engine speed. I went from 70 mph to 55 mph without the abiliry to maintain any speed, I was not applying the brakes. I could not complete the pass and had to pull over to the side of the road. If I tried to maintain speed or accelerate the vehicle shook violently, waking up my family. The check engine light came on and just flashed. I pulled from the driving lane and restarted the vehicle. The light went off and I was able to continue the drive, had to be very mindful of my acceleration. It happened a second time the next morning, again passing; shudder and then an inability to maintain speed or increase it. I pulled over this time the light came on and stayed on. I will be taking it to a dealer this week. I was traveling for approx. Two hours prior to the first event. It was raining during the first event, the second event it was partly cloudy.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Sep 022014

F-150

While driving my 2012 F150 ecoboost at 55mph I had to accelerate to merge into traffic. 75degrees outside with light rain. The motor stumbled and lost power. Service engine soon light appeared. I let of the accelerator and truck regained power. To to shop for diagnosis and computer showed 3 cylinder misfires. This happens constantly and Ford refuses to come with a solution. Is it going to take a fatality before someone care?

- Clinton, IL, USA

Aug 022014

F-150

On this date (8-2-14) at approx 0400 hrs(4am) while driving in wet rainy conditions and air temp approx 75 I had been driving for a few hours and made a stop. Upon getting back into truck and attempting to merge back onto the highway my truck equipped with 3.5 ecoboost lost all power and failed to accelerate. During this time the truck began to shake while losing acceleration. This occurred approximately 4 times in a two week period and when I took the truck to the Ford dealer they said no record in the computer so they could not do any repairs. This happened one year earlier (previous August) when on vacation and Ford found it was the charge air cooler (intercooler) and bolted on an air deflector which obviously did not work. Ford sold me this vehicle knowing there was issues with this system and failed (did not) tell me about it until the issue occurred and at that point I learned about it on the internet prior to Ford employees telling me. This problem will cause an accident at some point. The very first time it happened to me August 2013 I was merging while pulling a small cargo trailer and upon the vehicle loosing all power a semi almost rear ended me which would have caused a major accident. Power seems to come back after about limping truck for approximately 1/8 th of a mile. Ford knowingly sold a truck with faulty equipment that will cause injuries and/or fatalities and does not appear as though they care to fix the problem

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 032014

F-150

While traveling at 55mph, up a slight incline on the highway, I pulled out to pass another vehicle. As I pressed on the accelerator I had no engine power and the the F150, lariat, eco boost began to slow. The check engine light came on and flashed. I let off of the accelerator and then pressed it down again. This time I had power. I pulled back into the lane and everything appeared to be in working order.

- Gill, MA, USA

Aug 022014

F-150

While passing, my vehicle loses power and starts to sputter. This has happen on numerous occasions, and on the latest occasion the service engine light has come on. I have the 3.6 L ecoboost engine in the vehicle. I have turned the vehicle into the dealership for repairs, but was told they had to order a cooler to install on the turbo charger. Bottom line no parts are broke, but it now requires additional parts. I do not see any recalls for this issue.

- Raeford , NC, USA

Jun 272014

F-150

Driving down the interstate during wet conditions my 2012 Ford F150 ecoboost started to stumble and loose power drastically while pulling a trailer. The truck would only do 30 mph as it shook and stumbled down the interstate. This power loss made it really dangerous to get off the road safely without other cars and trucks being affected. The only way to reset the truck was to shut the engine off and restart it. This has happened twice to me during wet rainy conditions. This issue really concerns me from the safety of my well being and other fellow drivers. Ford needs to take action in fixing this problem with the F150 ecoboost trucks.

- Mantorville, MN, USA

Jul 252014

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while making a turn, the vehicle stalled and smoke emitted from under the hood. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the motor failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Leonard, MI, USA

Jul 252014

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle would vibrate and there was a sudden loss of power. The contact also mentioned that the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 032014

F-150

At highway speeds a horrible shudder occurs. I took the truck in for service at 78000 miles, my warranty runs out at 80000. I was told that this was "normal for 157 inch wheelbase trucks" is there any help available for this? thank you, kyle allen

- Brooklyn , WI, USA