2012 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 14)

Jan 152015

F-150

Engine shut off completely a big wrench came up on the screen where the mpg and stuff are almost got rear ended due to rush hour traffic.

- Eldridge, IA, USA

Apr 082014

F-150

Driving at 5 mph raining out and engine shut off for about 10 sec. Now engine hesitation when passing or just taking off.

- Paisley, FL, USA

Dec 232014

F-150

2012 F150 ecoboost engine.loss of power and truck shuddering when accelerating at highway speed from possible misfiring. Service engine light came on also, but turned off soon after event. Took to dealer to check, dealer said to change spark plugs and boots. Dealer did not mention previous or current technical service bulletins for this.

- Sarver, PA, USA

Aug 012014

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times for the failure. The dealer performed diagnostic testing, which located several codes; however, the codes did not relate to the stalling failure. The dealer checked the engine oil for oil sludge, but the engine oil was normal and the computer was reprogrammed. The dealer advised that they were unable to repair the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,000.

- Denham Spring , LA, USA

Jan 042015

F-150

I was pulled to the side of the highway (I-95) waiting out a heavy rainstorm. Upon pulling back onto the highway, my truck would not accelerate, lost power, shook and almost stalled out..I was almost rear ended by a truck. This was the second time this happened since I bought the truck new. The first time was Jan -14 under the same location and circumstances.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Jan 032015

F-150

After driving in raining conditions for more than four hours, I attemped to pass another vehicle. When I accelerated, my vehicle began to lose power and shake violently. Because of this, I nearly cause a multiple car accident do to my inability to control my trucks rapidly reducing speed. The same issue or type of issue occurred in late August of 2013 while attempting to merge into traffic. Upon acceleration attempt, the engine reduced power, failed to respond and the vehicle shook violently. A Ford dealership completed tsb-13-8-1, however, it was reluctantly done as no code would verify a problem. The truck is currently at another dealership, who once I explained the problem I was having, told me that I needed to have tsb-13-8-1 perfomed. I mentioned it had been perfomed and was told that unless a code could verify a problem, nothing could be done. This is a well documented problem, with many occurances. This vehicle is going to get someone killed if someone doesn't correct the issue. It is not something that can be "created" by a mechanic to, it only happens in real-life situations. Is there something someone can do to make Ford research, identify and correct this issue before even one death?

- South Mills, NC, USA

Aug 012014

F-150

During hard acceleration after normal driving vehicle sputters/misfires heavily, no recall or adjustment has been availble from Ford. Extremely dangerous in traffic and is keeping me from pulling any type of payload because I am concerned this will occur. I now have 41,000 miles on vehicle and it still does it, forced to drive the truck only under soft acceleration.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Jan 022015

F-150

3.5L ecoboost F150 began to shudder and fail to accelerate while trying to merge into interstate traffic. Had to slow down to keep it from continuing to shudder. This has happen repeatedly on at least 4 different occasions! dealership says it show no codes for misfires"?"

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Dec 262014

F-150

This is the 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, 5th) instance of a problem I originally described in ODI 10659481. Again, after traveling on the interstate for a few hours in very light rain, the engine failed to accelerate normally while merging into traffic from an on-ramp. This created a very hazardous situation, with traffic bearing down on us from behind at approximately 75 mph and steady traffic also in the left lanes. Unlike the earlier occurrence on Oct 28, the truck did not shake violently and the check-engine light (cel) did not flash. However, the truck was noticeably vibrating and very slow to accelerate to highway speed. Because Ford had declined to make repairs after the first incident due to odb codes reportedly not being present, I had purchased my own odb-II scan tool. Indeed, no codes were logged for this incident either. On Dec 28 I traveled 550 additional miles on interstate in steady rain. I tested the engine 3 separate times by attempting sustained hard acceleration. Each time the truck shook and failed to accelerate normally, the cel finally illuminated steady and misfire codes were logged P0304, P0305 and P0306. In summary, I have experienced this F-150 ecoboost engine failure five times, but odb codes were not logged on the first two when attempting real-world critical maneuvers. The codes were only logged during intentional testing for longer periods of time. I am confirming that this is the safety defect as described in Ford tsb 13-8-1 "3.5L gtdi -  intermittent stumble/misfire on acceleration from highway cruise in humid or damp conditions". it is particularly concerning that evidence of this defect is not always logged by the vehicle computer and customers are therefore being denied the prescribed repairs. It is also concerning that fuel mileage has been seriously impaired (about 3 mpg highway) since the first occurrence.

- Tupelo, MS, USA

Nov 262014

F-150

There was a misfire and no check engine light. This happened 5 times before the computer showed there was an issue. On the third time I had Ford install the deflector to keep water away from the turbo chargers. The last time it happened the computer finally showed a check engine light. I took the vehicle to auto zone to have them diagnose it. The computer was showing misfires in 3 cylinders. When I got the vehicle to Ford it was only showing one cylinder having had a misfire. Based on this, and the fact that the computer didn't register the previous misfires. I feel there is a defect with the computer in my vehicle. Ford refuses to address the issue. I know there was an investigation on this, but the misfires have happened when it was not raining or humid, in fact the first misfire happened on a dry day. Also, I have had the repairs made based on moisture causing the issue and still have the same problem. Please advise

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Dec 082014

F-150

I was with my family on the way to church. I was making a right turn out of our neighborhood onto the highway when all of the sudden there was a complete loss in power and was unable to resume acceleration. The highway also has a moderate incline in slope which caused the vehicle to slow dramatically. We were almost rear-ended from the car heading in the same direction which was originally a substantial distance away. Luckily the car that was approaching from behind was able to slow down fast enough considering we had a 1 year and 4 year old son in the back seat. I called the local dealership and the earliest appointment they could offer to check the problem was on Wednesday 10/10/2014. This is over 3 days after the incident occurred. The truck only has 40,000 miles on it so I began researching this issue. I discovered that there are more than a substantial amount of complaints and it seems Ford is aware of the issue and is even attempting to modify the air induction system and re flash the PCM. With issues like the millions of vehicles being recalled for airbags that have led to serious injury or death, far beyond the manufacture originally becoming aware of the issues. How long is the issue regarding the 2011-2013 Ford F150 ecoboost going to remain shoved under the rug? how many lives have to be lost before Ford takes accountability for putting the public at risk. In their report to this specific issue (on the NHTSA website), it is more than obvious they have identified a defect in the 2012 Ford F150 and the ecoboost engines within the trucks. Can you help me understand how and why they are not being held accountable for risking the lives of many people. Also, why is the NHTSA allowing Ford to shrug this off and close this investigation" there is a clear defect present that has the potential of leading to loss of life. Is this not pure negligence"

- Rancho Murieta, CA, USA

Nov 072014

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated when driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently and started shaking before stalling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 43,000. The VIN was not available.

- Richmond, IN, USA

Oct 282014

F-150

I had been on the highway for 6 hours with intermittent rain, about 3.5 hours since last stop, 1/2 tank of gas remaining. Location was I-65 North near elizabethtown, ky, 11:15 pm, with mist, wet road and spray. Weather records indicate 50 degrees and falling, light rain, 84% humidity. I had the F-150 in 4WD-auto mode due to the road conditions. For several miles another car had been continually staying in my blind spot in the lane immediately to the left, despite attempts to clear with gradual reductions/increases in my speed. My general cruising speed was about 70 mph. I was in the right lane approaching a very slow-moving tractor trailer, so I accelerated moderately-hard to move ahead of the car to my left and was changing into that lane when the F-150 started shaking violently and lost speed. My wife thought that we had collided with something in the road. I quickly veered back into the right lane and braked hard, narrowly avoiding an actual collision. I suspected we had some type of engine or transmission problem, but while coasting the vehicle seemed to be running smoothly. I switched from 4WD-auto to 2wd and tried to gently accelerate again, but the F-150 started shaking again and the check-engine light started flashing. I pulled off of the road, and by the time I came to a stop the light had stopped flashing. I checked all around and under the vehicle, under hood, gauges, etc. With no further sign of a problem. I stopped and started the engine, then drove away and the F-150 performed normally for remainder of trip to louisville, ky. The next day I took the F-150 to a local dealer, who advised that I had experienced the "classic scenario" for condensation in the charge-air cooler, causing engine misfires. The F-150 is getting very poor gas mileage ever since. Home dealer has declined service because obd codes are no longer present. Engine: 3.5L gtdi (ecoboost)

- Tupelo, MS, USA

Oct 122014

F-150

When trying to pass a slow moving vehicle ( going 45 in a 55) I tried to pass. When I moved into other lane and gassed truck I lost power and started jerking. I had to let up completely off the gas and fall back behind the car that I was passing. This was a very dangerous situation since there were other cars behind me that had also started to pass as well as oncoming cars up ahead (a safe distance before attempting to pass of course). This seems to be a major issue since many of the same stories came up when searching the internet about this.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Oct 252014

F-150

Under non-tow situations truck will shudder/misfire during hard acceleration. Acceleration does not have to be wot. Weather conditions can be hot and sunny or cloudy, raining and humid. Truck did not start doing this until 60,000 + miles.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 082013

F-150

Was preparing to pass a slow moving vehicle my truck started to shudder and began to shut down..leaving me hung out in traffic.I backed off of the gas and it began to run correctly.this was a scary incident.truck has done this many times but I am very careful when I try to pass.Ford says they have a fix but I will have to pay for it I did not design or sell this truck Ford did they should correct.

- Harriman, TN, USA

May 202013

F-150

When you press the throttle pedal to pass the vehicle has a slight acceleration and then shakes, shudders and will not accelerate. I need to coast for several hundred yards before the system recovers and the truck accelerates. This happens all summer long pretty much every time I need to pass. My Ford dealer says they have applied the service bulletins but that does not correct the problem. In your investigation of this matter it is stated that Ford says you can still accelerate I can tell you that is absolutely not true with my truck. I should note that most of the time I am pulling an 18' fishing boat that weights about 3000 lbs. On at least six different occasions now while on vacation I have been in a long string of traffic behind either motor homes or logging trucks that could not go highway speed, I pull out to pass them step on the gas, it shakes, shudders and there I sit in the oncoming traffic lane, meanwhile the string of vehicles behind me have closed the gap, I cannot pull back into the right lane and I cannot accelerate to get in front of them. I end up just slowly moving back to the right hoping the other vehicles will back off and move out of the way, then comes the blasting of their horns and shaking of their fists when they eventually pass me. I cannot imagine how this is not considered a safety issue. Ford specifically markets this ecoboost engine based on it's torque for towing to people that need a truck for towing but you cannot use any of that torque all summer long and I am pulling a boat that is only at one third of the towing capacity.

- Waunakee, WI, USA

Oct 062014

F-150

While getting on the highway and accelerating, my truck began to shake and lose power. I took it in to the shop afterwards and they had to replace all spark plugs and 1 ignition coil. After researching this, I found out this has been an issue on several 2011 - 2013 model eco boost. Please force a recall, as I do not feel I need to pay for something Ford is responsible for.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Sep 202014

F-150

For the fourth time, my 2012 Ford F150 ecoboosted engine stalled or shuttered when hauling a load (trailer or heavy bed load) in a high humidity environment. I was pulling a U-haul trailer behind my truck and it was raining heavily. When I punched the accelerator to pass a slower vehicle, the engine stalled, sputtered, and nearly shut down. The "check engine" light came on for about a minute, then turned off once the engine had cleared what felt like condensation, and returned to normal operating mode. When I took the vehicle to the dealership to complain (for the 4th time), they told me that they were of aware of a design problem with the intercooler on 2011-2013 turbocharged vehicles, but since they could not verify the defect "code, " Ford would not reimburse them for the service fix. This is clearly a safety and environmental issue as the service bulletin that Ford issued to correct the problem, requires replacement of the catalytic converter as well. Frustrated!

- Rochester, MI, USA

Sep 102014

F-150

Using truck to pull approx. 5000 lb travel trailer for camping. We had been driving for about 45 mins since last stop, 15 min bathroom break. Weather was drizzle rain that had been continuous for last 2 hours of trip time and there was standing water on roadway. I was in a 65 mph location, flat roadway, and came upon a small car doing less than 60 mph on the turnigan arm area of the seward highway (2 lane-opposing traffic). It was clear and I began to pass. As I cleared the vehicle I noticed a large class a rv had followed me to pass the car. I continued at 65-70 mph to finish passing and my truck started vibrating and losing power and speed, no lights or problems shown on dash. The rv that followed me was on my rear end and trying to fit back into the lane without running the small vehicle off the road as opposing traffic approached. I could do nothing but signal and pull off on to the shoulder of the highway. As I stopped and put truck into neutral and revved the engine it appeared fine. I waited for a clearing in traffic and pulled back in and accelerated with no problem. The problem corrected that quickly with out me shutting it off. The truck had no problems for the rest of a 250 mile trip. This incident could have ended up very bad and it shook my wife up emotionally. The problem occurred one more time on the return trip on 9/13/14. Similar weather, but not quite as wet. This time when the problem happened I was in a passing lane and had a slight incline and a semi was dropping down in speed and I went to pass accelerating from 55 to about 65 mph, moving into the passing lane. As I accelerated the truck had the same thing happen. This time the situation was not as dire as I recognized it, signaled, moved back into the slow lane and then shoulder. Other than upsetting other motorists as I slowed down no endangerment to life occurred.

- Soldotna, AK, USA