4.6

2012 Ford F-150 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 302013

F-150 6-cyl

I had read about this issue but thought I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have a issue. However at about 11,500 miles driving in a rainy humid day on the highway I got in a spot where I had a rig going about 30mph and I was doing about 60mph having more than enough time to pass safely before the other rig coming up in the passing lane I decided to go around.. as soon as I pushed the pedal to the floor and got in the passing lane the truck lost power, ,, shuddered badly and I almost couldn't get around the rig that was only doing 30! after getting by I decided to try to get off the road and again I was successful but not without the anxiety on thinking the rig coming up would not be able to slow down enough to allow me to get off the road without pushing me off. So far there have been no known accidents but again if the conditions are right for an accident to happen could be as simple as passing on a foggy night and the person coming up on you at 70 never saw the F150 ecoboost sitting in the passing lane doing 45 trying to get it off the side of the road passing at the top of a hill with nowhere to pull off to the right as going down the hill with a 70 mph tractor trailer driver doing his best to shut down his rig trying to avoid a jack knife due to a F150 ecoboost doing 40 mph with no where to pull off! so any of you that think this isn't a big problem waiting to happen then I suggest one thing.... hope, ,, pray, ,,, that you never come up on a ecoboost passing a rig and find yourself between a F150 losing 30 mph and trying to get off the road, then you, , followed by a rig doing 70 mph on your bumper in the passing lane!!!

- Dubois, PA, USA

Jun 012013

F-150

Attempting to pass a vehicle on the highway, motor lost all power and began shaking. Code came up as engine misfire. Brought to the dealership said known issue, they inspected did not find anything wrong. Since that date has occurred 4-5 more times during wet weather anytime accelerating (passing vehicles, on ramps).

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Aug 092013

F-150 6-cyl

Noticeable lag during acceleration. Most noteworthy incident involved passing at freeway speeds, engine bogged down and car felt like it was about to stall. Have noticed this a few times since as well. We are in monsoon season, have had rain and higher than normal humidity. Have also noticed what feels like delayed and hard transmission shifting. Fuel consumption/mileage seems to be affected. (was getting 17-23mpg when truck was first purchased in March 21013, am now averaging 13-15mpg). Have also noticed vibration/shuddering when accelerating from a stop light or sign, and during downshifting. Vehicle is currently in shop as check engine light came on on 8/26/13. Ford is performing a cold-soak(?) the code that they pulled from the vehicle was indicative of a misfire but they cannot determine what is causing the misfire at this time.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 132012

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

I have had this problem several times. It seemed to start in October 2012. I was trying to merge into traffic and pushed the gas pedal down quickly and it did not move forward any faster. I I was almost rear-ended by another vehicle because I could not get any speed. It seems that when I push down the pedal very slowly, it will go faster. But when I need the response to be very quickly, it does not respond. I have had this problem when I pull my camper. It will be performing then all of a sudden, I will need to push down the pedal to get power up a hill and again, there is no power. I have taken this to the dealership and they keep saying that there is no problem. I bought this vehicle to pull my camper. It does not perform the way it was touted in their advertisements.

- Peyton, CO, USA

Aug 182013

F-150 6-cyl

When returning from cullowee, nc, I was on the entrance ramp of I-40 East. At approximately 45 mph, I pressed on the accelerator to increase to highway speed. The engine started sputtering and the entire vehicle started shaking violently. The vehicle never gained speed until I let of the accelerator completely and slowly applied pressure to the accelerator again. The violent shaking of the vehicle and the resulting dangerous merge into traffic terrified my wife, child and grandchild.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Jul 122013

F-150

When accelerating and decelerating then accelerating the turbo drops out a severe loss of power occurred.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 042013

F-150 6-cyl

Myself and my wife was traveling on a short four lane road when I attempted to accelerate to pass a slower vehicle. My F150 engine shuddered, I let off the accelerator, the shudder stopped. I then tried to accelerate again and nothing. It was like I was coasting, I had no power from the engine to accelerate. I continued to try and accelerate but nothing. This lasted for 15-20 seconds then it started to accelerate normally. This same type of lost of power has happened 3 times since then. The first two times it was raining heavily, the last two it was not. I have read about the issues documented with the F150 eco boost engine and I am sure this is that problem. Unfortunately I read it after I bought the truck!!

- Wetumpka, AL, USA

Jun 292013

F-150

While accelerating to pass, truck started vibrating, had loss of power and increased RPM on tach truck practically stopped in its tracks first time it's happened. Will be contacting dealer. Definitely could be hazard-as in heavy traffic so I hope Ford takes notice before people die.

- Warsaw, NY, USA

Jun 252013

F-150 8-cyl

I obtained this vehicle November 2012 from Ford Motor Company after winning an arbitration case I filed. Reason: The fuel gauge system in the truck it replaced, a 2010 Ford, 150, 4X4, was totally inaccurate and undependable. The arbitrator agreed that it was unsafe and granted us the option either to accept a new vehicle with similar features, or a buy-back. Throughout months of processing and several visits to a local Ford dealer for unsuccessful repair attempts, Ford steadfastly denied any issues existed--that the entire fuel monitoring and measuring system was working as designed--despite the fact that a disinterested third party expert hired by the BBB test drove our truck and concluded it was defective. Furthermore, a google search revealed numerous similar complaints wherein some owners actually ran out of gas owing to an inaccurate fuel gauge reading. Here is a recent and typical example of the problem: A few days ago when I started my truck, "miles to empty" was 225. The fuel tank showed between one-quarter and one-half full. Approximately 10 minutes later, "miles to empty" read 90, and the gas gauge was slightly above empty. I don't really care much about the "miles to empty" feature because I've learned not to trust it; however, when the fuel gauge shows a half tank of gas remaining, then a few minutes later drops to nearly empty, I become concerned--particularly when driving in the mountains where we live, and in snow conditions, thus creating a safety issue. To this day, Ford denies an issue exists.

- North Fork, CA, USA

Jan 112012

F-150 6-cyl

After purchasing this 2012 F150 w/ecoboost V-6, I wanted to see how good of gas mileage I could get out of it. I also wanted to break the vehicle in before any hard accelerations. When starting from a complete stop, I would gradually make it up to highway speeds. I treated the vehicle gingerly until I wanted to test the capabilities of this ecoboost engine I had heard so much about. It was a cold January evening and there was no unusual weather (no rain or snow). I had been cruising at constant highway speeds for approximately an hour. The road had narrowed from a 4 lane highway to a 2 lane. I was stuck behind a vehicle traveling just above 50 mph. I reached a passing zone and decided to test the performance of the engine/truck. I depressed the accelerator to the floor and the engine spit and sputtered. I decided to ease off immediately for our safety. No lights on the dash illuminated as result of this engine problem. After this incident, I have noticed that at cruising speeds, there seems to be an engine miss around 60 mph while going up a slight grade. I have also noticed that when starting the vehicle, it (engine) does not start as quickly. The key has to be held longer. These problems are a direct result of the damage caused to the engine after the very first hard acceleration.

- Athens, OH, USA

Jun 072013

F-150

Loss of power/engine misfires during hard acceleration on mid afternoon Friday, June 7, 2013 passing a car at country rd speed or less (was almost at a complete stop while car in front of me turned) in rain. Once I reached destination truck sat until mid day Sunday, June 9 when condition recurred on hill climb acceleration in dry conditions. Engine misfire indicator light came on at that time. After pulling over and shutting truck off to check owners manual, the service engine light came on when I started truck back up and has remained on but the issue hasn't recurred. Appt at Ford dealer for service on Friday, June 14 to check the engine light status and this issue. Engine is 3.5L V6 ecoboost.

- Ewing, NJ, USA

Jun 072012

F-150 6-cyl

Ford F150 crew cab - lariat - V6 ecoboost engine. Problem occurs when not towing, not engaged in 4X4 mode and occurs randomly in wet, damp and dry conditions. Driving at highway speeds (60) on a 70 mph highway, tried to accelerate to pass semi truck and truck shuddered and would not accelerate at all. Speed dropped dramatically and we were almost hit from behind. Only method of getting truck moving was to stop on the side of the highway and let the truck sit, turned off for 2 - 3 minutes. It took 5 or 6 of these stops to get to the nearest Ford dealership, where a tsb was referred to and it was suggested by the dealership that we continue on our vacation and stop in tallahassee to have a larger dealership take a look. The tallahassee crew updated the computer and provided a report for bill currie Ford in tampa, to install a shield of some sort once we returned, as they did not have the part in stock. Bill currie service reported that the shield was already in place when reported a few days later. The truck was taken to bill currie Ford a total of 5 times for the same problem with the final time to have a Ford tech do the work. The problem persists. Overall the truck is less than it was advertised. I got 18.7mpg with my previous 6.2L F150 and I have yet to get more than 17.8 on the ecoboost. Around town I also get much lower mileage (11.7mpg as opposed to 14.9 with the 6.2L engine. The shudder/loss of power occurs randomly and has resulted in near crashes at least 5 times in the months since we purchased the truck, all at highway speeds.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Mar 232013

F-150 6-cyl

V6 ecoboost my family and I were traveling in heavy rain on I65 in birmingham, al. I pulled into the far left lane to pass slower vehicles. When I accelerated the truck began to shake violently and rapidly lose speed and power. Several vehicles including a semi had to take evasive action to avoid a collision. The second time was on my return trip home. We were traveling on a two lane road in foggy conditions. We came to an area when the road split so you could pass slower vehicles. I, along with a car following, went to pass a slower vehicle which had moved to the right. When I was alongside the slower vehicle my truck began to shake and lose speed. I had to take evasive braking action to fall in behind the vehicle to my right because they were running out of room. The vehicle following me also had to take evasive action to avoid hitting me. And the car to my right. I took the truck to the dealer when I returned home. They replaced the cac, installed a plastic shield, reprogrammed the computer, and replaced a defective cat as was the recommended repair according to the issued tsb. On April 18th I was traveling on hwy41 in the rain.twice on my trip the vehicle began to shake and lose speed when passing slower vehicles. The applied tsb did not fix the problem. I returned the vehicle to the dealership at the request of Ford customer care. They were unable to find an issue. The day the vehicle was returned the second cat went out and had to be replaced. Ford has acknowledged the issue but has informed me that there is nothing they can do at this time. They offered to send me a buy back offer within ten days and after twenty days and several phone calls today they informed me that they are unable to buy back my truck. They also told me that I would have to live with the issue until they (if) come up with a fix. I am unwilling to put my family at risk.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jul 092012

F-150 6-cyl

I was about to enter highway from ramp, tried to accelerate engine started missing, loss of power had to pull over to side of road and try again, was almost hit from rear. Conditions, rain.

- Marble Hill, MO, USA

Nov 212012

F-150 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power while passing another vehicle. Unable to complete passing maneuver. This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 192012

F-150 6-cyl

Intermittent stumble/misfire on acceleration from highway speeds, engine feels like it is in limp mode, this has happened four times.

- Bridge City, TX, USA

Mar 092013

F-150

My wife and I were coming home going about 55 mph and I went to pass a slower car. As I pulled on the passing lane and went to pass the engine start to cut out the more I pushed on the accelator the slower the truck went. It has done this two more time. I'm fixing to take to Ford in a few weeks. This could be a safety problem the truck has the 3.5 eco engine.

- Pierre Part, LA, USA

Aug 062012

F-150 6-cyl

I was merging into traffic on I-10 in Florida from an entrance ramp. I was going 55 mph when I had to accelerate in order to merge with traffic. Upon attempting to accelerate, the engine lost power and began to shake causing me to have to brake really hard and move to the shoulder of the road so that I wouldn't collide with traffic already moving at 70 mph in the lane I was attempting to merge. This is the first of several incidences in which the vehicle lost power under acceleration.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Apr 122013

F-150 6-cyl

Driving in raining conditions, when accelerating I would loose power when the turbo chargers kicked in. It was as if the turbo chargers were picking up the moisture causing the engine to misfire and would loose all power for acceleration. Even after the rain stopped, this acceleration problem stayed with the vehicle for the remainder of the trip. The next morning, still had same problem but as the temperature went up and humidity decreased the problem got less severe and by the end of the second day the acceleration had returned to normal. The first occurrence was when I was passing a semi trailer, I tried to pull out around in passing zone on a single lane in each direction, when the engine didn't respond I had to break and fall back being the semi. Luckily, this occurred as I pulled out to pass the semi, if it had happened after I along side of the semi, there would have been no way to accelerate to pass the semi or return to my side of the road before the oncoming traffic arrived. I have heard of other individuals experiencing the same during raining conditions and don't understand why Ford has not issued a fix for this problem.

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Dec 112012

F-150 6-cyl

On Monday December 11, my wife and I left on a trip to Indiana with approximately 10,400 miles on the truck. After a stop, at the bowling green, ky., rest stop, I proceeded to return to traffic on interstate 65. After determining I could safely accelerate in front of two semi-trailer trucks, I entered the highway at approximately 50 mph and went to full throttle. Instead of accelerating, the engine went into a total loss of power. Amid the blowing of air horns and my wife's screams I was lucky enough to avoid a collision by yanking the truck onto the emergency lane. The engine did not stop running, but appeared (to me) to be totally flooded. The engine ran on ?? (number of) cylinders for approximately one eighth of a mile before returning to running on all cylinders. I do not think the service department believed me when they looked at the truck. I have been a mechanic and an engineer for a lot of years, I know what happened this time and it came very close to a serious accident and/ or injury to my wife and me. This was a very close accident avoidance and it practically destroyed our confidence in the truck. While still on our trip, we made the decision to forgo the hassle of trying to persuade the service dept. There was a problem, and get a different brand of new truck. I have taken the high financial loss of trading for another new truck. I am not totally satisfied with this vehicle. The Ford has many enhancements and I probably should have tried harder to get the appropriate service action. But would it have been worth the risk of another engine incident, no I do not think so. This was the second and most serious incident and after Ford service had pronounced there was no problem with my engine. I sold the truck with 11,399 miles on the speedometer.

- Killen, AL, USA