2012 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 292016

F-150

Lost power steering while driving on a freeway. I was able to drive vehicle home. But vehicle unsafe to drive. Ford needs to make a power steering recall to this vehicle before somebody dies....

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 152016

F-150

After speaking with Ford Motor Company I thought I should file a complaint on here as well. My husbands 2012 Ford F150 power steering shut off while driving down the road. After much research, it appears his is by far not the only one. Apparently other models of the same year have had recalls but not the F150. I was told go get it checked out and fixed and if we issue a recall, you might get a refund. $2200 and we can get it checked out and fixed if they see the problem. This is not an in and out service and its very disappointing a company that has been around since 1903 has turned to such poor quality in service. Everyone needs to file a complaint so they will stop taking advantage of the loyalty of the customers.

- Satsuma, AL, USA

Oct 112016

F-150

When making sharp turns my truck would get a " service advancetrac" alarm. After I turned the vehicle off and restarted it would go off. Now it is on and will not go off and my turn signals don't work, so I cannot drive truck. It has 66,000 miles on it. I have read about a 100+ different statements from other Ford truck owners with the same issue. I don't have $2,000 to have it fixed. I have always had Ford and this issue is really making me think that I should have bought this truck. Ford should fix this problem since so many have had problems. I spent a lot of money buying this truck and bought it out of loyalty to Ford and they should recognize this defect and be loyal to its customers and fix this problem free of charge. Before someone gets hurt or killed. My truck is a 2012 Ford F150 xtr 44. this complaint probably won't do anything but I wish it would. Now I have a truck I can't drive. This is B.S.

- Hillsboro, OH, USA

Sep 272016

F-150

While driving down the highway my power steering suddenly stopped working resulting in difficulty controlling my vehicle. I had the vehicle towed to maxwell Ford in austin, tx and after several days they determined the issue was a failed power steering gear/motor and replaced it at my expense for approximately $1800. Doing basic online searching there are tons of other people with various year models of F-150S reporting the same issue. This would appear to be related to other vehicles that have similar issues that have recalls, but 2012 F-150S do not seem to be included.

- Blanco, TX, USA

Sep 012016

F-150

The service advance trac warning light appeared on the vehicle console after a sharp turn, turn signals would not work while the warning light was on. Hit the ok button as indicated on the vehicle console, and the warning light went off. Turned off vehicle and after restarting the vehicle and driving forward the service advance trac warning went off. Since the vehicle is a 2012 with 65,000 miles it is not covered under warranty from Ford. The warning turns on after turning sharply out of a parking space or backing out of a driveway. Sometimes the warning comes on several days in a row and other times after it clears it will stay off for days.

- Kearney, NE, USA

Aug 252016

F-150

The service advance trac warning light appeared on the vehicle console, turn indicators would not work while vehicle was moving, or stationary. Hit the ok button as indicated on the vehicle console, and the warning light went off. Turned off vehicle and after restarting the vehicle and driving forward the service advance trac warning went off. Drove to a local lowes store approximately 2 miles away. After returning to the vehicle and putting the vehicle in drive, the power steering would not work and a new warning appeared epas "electric power assist " fail and the service advance trac warning also came on. Called a tow truck and was towed to local Ford dealership. Since the vehicle is a 2012 with 53,000 miles it is not covered under warranty from Ford. I was very fortunate that I was not driving the vehicle on the busy highway "wilma rudolph blvd." I had been on just a few moments prior to the steering problem as I am sure an accident would have been very hard to avoid.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 152016

F-150

Rattle in steering, can be felt in steering wheel. Can be felt mostly when going in a straight line. Vehicle does not have to be on rough road to feel and hear rattle. Purchased vehicle used, but this problem is reported by many owners!

- Lower Burrell, PA, USA

Aug 032016

F-150

While driving on three separate occasions within the last two weeks the vehicle steering has locked up while in motion. Two of these incidents were while I was driving at approximately 70 mph on toll 130 outside of central Texas. The last incident happened August 3, 2016 while driving in a 45 mph zone and curve on a city street.

- Lago Vista, TX, USA

Jun 182016

F-150

I was driving on the freeway on our way to vacation and had pulled off to visit a friend. When we went to the store my electronic stability control warning came on but the vehicle still drove fine. After we came out of the store the power steering was completely gone and almost impossible to drive. I'm lucky it didn't fail on the freeway. It ended up being the steering angle sensor and cost 2K to fix(they had to replace the whole steering gear assembly). The truck only has 50K miles on it and I was told it was not covered under warranty. I called Ford and they were no help. I am just lucky it didn't happen on the freeway. I checked the forums and this has happened to others and caused them to lose control of the vehicle.

- Cove, UT, USA

Jun 012016

F-150

Tsb 11-08-18. Exactly what happens to my vehicle. Random. In long sweeping left turns when steering wheel is at the 11 oclock position between 40-75 mph. Steering wheel will not reset itself back to center. I have to manually move wheel back to center. Meaning, when coming out of the lefthand turn the wheel will stay at the 11oclock position until I move it back to center. Not every time but often. If you dont pay attention 100% of the time the truck will steer itself into a wall or median only going left.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jun 272016

F-150

"service advancetrac" light. This is a common problem reported on many web forums. A sensor in the steering rack is not able to determine the direction that the wheels are pointing and generates the alarm. The indicators will not work whilst the alarm is on unless the stalk is held in place. The error can sometimes be reset but restarting the car but not always. This deficiency is well know by Ford and many dealers yet Ford refuses to acknowledge the problem with a tsb or recall action. The sensor can not be changed so the entire steering rack assembly needs to be replaced at over $1500. I have just tried to work with a Ford csm to get the problem fixed on my out of warranty truck but was told that "there are no programs in place to help me". this is either poorly designed part and/or a early component failure. 2011/2012 was one of the first years that Ford installed the eps unit in the F150's.

- Whitefish, MT, USA

Jun 252016

F-150

While driving my 2012 F-150eb, the power steering assist quit working in the middle of a turn in a parking garage. I had to put all 180 lbs of my weight into the steer in order to avoid a concrete stanchion, 2 pedestrians and another vehicle. Had my wife been driving, this could have resulted in a fatality. Ford Corp. Claims they know of no problems with the steering on this vehicle. However, I have found numerous complaints on line citing the same problem/issues. Diagnosis was "power steering electric motor failure" and repair cost is $2,200.

- Ladson, SC, USA

May 242016

F-150

I was driving home from the speedway gas station an about 2 miles from the gas station my power steering failed completely while making a left hand turn, I had steering but no power steering an very difficult to steer the vehicle or make any turns!I finally made it home but still have to drive vehicle to repair shop for repairs to be done.

- Northville, MI, USA

May 132016

F-150

While making a sharp left turn at slow speed I heard a squeal and got a (service advanced track warning). And my turn signals stopped working properly. Later that day it happened again and this time the steering quit all together and got a (electric power steering fault) on the display cluster. Cant believe this is not a safety recall isue!

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Apr 272016

F-150

At first the service advance trac warning appeared and the directional blinkers would not work. Standing still or moving. Hit ok and it would disappear, but would come right back on. Now. It appears and also driver assist fault warning comes on and you loose your power steering. Extreme difficulity turning or anything at any speed.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Apr 142016

F-150

Vehicle is displaying "service advancetrac" error message when vehicle is turned sharply left or right. When the error message comes on, the turn signals do not function properly. The driver must hold the turn signal switch to activate turn signals anytime needing to change lanes or turn off roadway. Vehicle error has been checked by servicing dealer and an update was performed to ABS module to attempt to fix the problem, but explained that a possible need to replace the power rack and pinion to resolve the problem. I am afraid that the power rack and pinion is going to fail and cause me to have an accident, or the turn signals not functioning properly is going to cause an accident. Ford needs to issue a safety recall to fix this failing part in the 2012 F150 model line.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Apr 052016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact heard a squealing noise emerging from the engine. The steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was driven to an independent mechanic who advised the contact to have the dealer inspect the vehicle. The dealer stated that the steering column module failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Silver Creek, GA, USA

Mar 042016

F-150

For 8-12 months every time I turned the steering wheel all the way to the right the system emitted a loud squeak like a pneumatic P[inch. I mentioned this at my last two oil changes with no response.. it proceeded to get worse making the same noise when turning the wheel fully either direction and became stiff to turn while driving.. I finally showed the service agent the issue and he had not seen this before?? the power steering actually gave out right there at the dealership and they ended up replacing the "ps module, gear asy-steering, core and fixed a water pump leak that was undetectable (nothing leaking as far as I could tell). $4K repair bill and the truck was at 67K miles. Rediculous

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Mar 102016

F-150

While I was driving to the store on 10 Mar 2016, I made a left turn in my F150 which resulted in the steering making a squealing noise and preceding to lock up. I was able to muscle the truck home and am fearful to drive it anywere.

- Fairbanks, AK, USA

Feb 022016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at a low speeds and making a right turn, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned causing the steering wheel to become extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that a water leak had caused wiring damage which might have caused the failure. The water pump was replaced but the vehicle later experienced the same failure. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA