7.1

2012 Ford F-150 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jan 032011

F-150 6-cyl

The lower control arms on my 2012 Ford F-150 ecoboost have excessive rust/corrosion. Separating arms have recently been linked to steering problems up to and including a crash.

- Lawndale, NC, USA

Oct 012013

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the front end came out of alignment without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front end needed to be aligned and a re-leveling kit needed to be adapted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 26,000.

- Broxton , GA, USA

Feb 052013

F-150 6-cyl

I hear a thunking noise under the front suspension over bumps in the road. My first reaction is it's a brand new truck. It sounds exactly like a bad sway bar link. So I took the truck to my friends mechanics garage and noticed front tires are cupped badly, an unusually wear for a new truck. We rotated the tires and checked suspension. We noticed what we thought was a bad inner tie rod cause there was loose unusual movement side to side with the tire on driver's side. So I went home and started to read on F150 forum.com and found many people with 2011-2013 F150 year truck is having the same issue of thunkin noise. It turns out it is not tie rods, it is a bad steering rack and pinion. I read alot of information and a video of a truck that sound like mine. I have read where a service writer mentioned that 2 trucks lost steering but there was no accident and the steering racks were replaced. I have called Ford service recently and they said they know nothing about bad steering racks. Many owners of these trucks have posted in the forum that Ford knows of these so called contaminated steering racks that were made. I would like a tsb or a service bulletin that would get these bad racks off these trucks. Thank you

- Lower Burrell, PA, USA

Dec 202012

F-150 6-cyl

The vehicle from original purchase date in October of 2012 has exhibited a knock/clunk/vibration from the front suspension and steering that transmits up through the steering column and can be felt while holding the steering wheel and heard from the frontal area of the vehicle while driving. The steering wheel is also off center to the left and vehicle seems to pull left regardless of road crown and the front two tires are feathered across the tread. The first visit to dealer at 2700 miles the dealer reset the toe as it was toe out causing uneven tire wear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer at roughly 4700 miles for the knock/clunk/vibration and uneven tire wear again and it was found that pinch bolts were loose on the steering column causing the clunk. Dealer states the uneven tire wear was due to low tire pressure. After picking up vehicle the knock/clunk/vibration is still present. With the vehicle off and turning the wheel back and forth rapidly the knock/clunk can be heard from the front of the vehicle, however the dealer states this is normal noise from the Ford epas steering rack. Asked dealer to compare to a new like vehicle on the lot. Dealer changed the subject. Sounds like faulty tie rod ends or faulty internal rack components from my past automotive experience. Owned a 2011 F150 with the same suspension and epas steering rack and the wheel was straight, and no noise was heard or vibrations felt while driving. Tires did not show uneven wear either. Dealer states I cannot compare my 2012 F150 to my 2011 F150. Dealer states an appointment is going to be set with the local field service engineer to test drive my vehicle to make a determination if any further action is to be taken. At this point the dealer is not providing any further assistance in resolving my concern. Issue has also been documented with Ford customer care.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

May 032012

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The vehicle was hitched to a 2011 forest river flagstaff travel trailer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle began to sway across the road. The contact immediately reduced the speed and continued to drive. The vehicle had not been diagnosed. The contact stated that both rear axles were not designed to accommodate the weight specified on the vehicle's gross weight sticker. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. There was no mileage.

- Sallisaw, OK, USA